HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#13 | New York Islanders vs. Colorado Avalanche | Nov 10 | L 3-4 (OT)

Old
11-11-2011, 11:48 AM
OlTimeHockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan View Post
So far this season the Islanders have either lacked in scoring or given up some bad, untimely goals. In my opinion neither of those are the real problems. The The Islanders problem is that they're a soft team. When the play starts getting physical, the ice starts to tilt. The Islanders get pushed around the rink and can't deal with the other teams gritiness. They can't control the backboards or slow down their opponent. If the Isles had players to bang bodies in the 3rd period last night, you would not have seen the Avs take charge and dictate the flow of the game. A John Tonelli type player on Tavares's line would mean alot more time for JT in the offensive zone. Instead we PAP seemingly playing by himself some nights and Moulson auditioning for the Ice Capades.

I would like to see Okposo paired with JT. KO is not the edgiest player around, but he does battle against the boards for the puck and often wins that battle. I love Martin's attitude, but he still seems a little slow to me, better suited for a 3rd or 4th line.

Finally, in the catagory of the draft. I know it's easy to be a monday morning QB, but I always felt the Islanders should have drafted a big defensemen in this years draft over Ryan Strome. Not to take anything away from Strome, but the Islanders have enough Frans Nielson, PAP and Mark Streit size players. Dougie Hamilton or Duncan Siemens would have been a better choice for this team, or Sean Couturier if you're going offense. I'm sure Strome will be a very good player in the NHL, but the Islanders need to get bigger and tougher!!!
Did you miss Matt Martin being right there and doing what was expected when JT got pummeled? I was sooo happy we had Martin right there and Cappy had the sense to use him over Buttercup Moulson.

You could see the guys on the bench after that hit......it had a huge effect. I think I saw someone crying. Very disturbing.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 12:12 PM
Top Corner

Its funny to read through these post game reports. This Management group
has had a Real Estate agenda for 5 to 6 years now and unless they get it, do not get too excited as they won't be attempting to field a competitive team.

Snow is a college graduate and I'm sure he can't see this team as a playoff hopeful.
My question is why do most Isles fans(prior to this bad 8 games or so) think they are.
It baffles me, it seems every Isles fan is similar to our MTL fans who one minute
think they are the best team in the world and then after a few losses are garbage.
The frustrating part is this Mgt team looks to not even really be trying to make it better.

Top Corner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 12:16 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

vCash: 50
It is very simple we played 40 minutes (and did great), unfortunately hockey is 60 or 65 minute game.

11-11-2011, 12:16 PM
LAIslanderFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Did you miss Matt Martin being right there and doing what was expected when JT got pummeled? I was sooo happy we had Martin right there and Cappy had the sense to use him over Buttercup Moulson.

You could see the guys on the bench after that hit......it had a huge effect. I think I saw someone crying. Very disturbing.
I did see that. That backs up my point. He's the only one. Did you see Montoya get run over all night by the Avs players?

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 12:20 PM
LAIslanderFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Well, we have Haley.
Talent wise, Haley's skill set is borderline NHL.

Can we bring Gary Howatt out of retirement?

Old
11-11-2011, 01:53 PM
redbull
springtime hockey!

Quote:
They don't hit!!! They don't play physical enough. Imagine if Capuano had Steve Webb to throw out in the 3rd period when the game started to get away from the Islanders. A player or players like that can change momentum.
I don't disagree. But they need their top six fwds and top four dmen to be able to play physical, initiate plays, lead the forecheck. A 4th liner with limited talent who cannot make plays is useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Corner View Post
Its funny to read through these post game reports. This Management group
has had a Real Estate agenda for 5 to 6 years now and unless they get it, do not get too excited as they won't be attempting to field a competitive team.

Snow is a college graduate and I'm sure he can't see this team as a playoff hopeful.
My question is why do most Isles fans(prior to this bad 8 games or so) think they are.
It baffles me, it seems every Isles fan is similar to our MTL fans who one minute
think they are the best team in the world and then after a few losses are garbage.
The frustrating part is this Mgt team looks to not even really be trying to make it better.
Coming into this season, being so low below the cap floor and having to spend money, many of us felt it would have been simple for a GM with ANY COMPETENCE to improve the team significantly.

Instead, we filled the cap vacuum with: Staios, Rolston, Pandolfo. Yes, I know we tried to get Ehrhoff.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 02:56 PM
A Pointed Stick
W.W.J.C.D?

vCash: 250
Quote:
I did see that. That backs up my point. He's the only one. Did you see Montoya get run over all night by the Avs players?
It was disgusting. I was praying for a good beat down on Duchene to make me feel better. maybe rip his arms off and stuff them up either nostril. I bet you think I am joking. They needed to send a message, and failed.
Quote:
Talent wise, Haley's skill set is borderline NHL.
Can we bring Gary Howatt out of retirement?
He wasn't that good, and arguably insane on the ice. I think he bit a guy on the nose once too, but it's been so long I'm fuzzy about it. He was a great punching bag that never quit though.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 06:50 PM
LAIslanderFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
It was disgusting. I was praying for a good beat down on Duchene to make me feel better. maybe rip his arms off and stuff them up either nostril. I bet you think I am joking. They needed to send a message, and failed.

He wasn't that good, and arguably insane on the ice. I think he bit a guy on the nose once too, but it's been so long I'm fuzzy about it. He was a great punching bag that never quit though.
I loved Howatt's heart. He was maybe 5'8 and he would fight big guys like Wayne Cashman or Dave Schultz. Never backed down. We could use a little of that attitude. Believe it or not, Howatt once scored 21 goals in a season for the Islanders.

Old
11-11-2011, 09:26 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Yeah and I also saw Blake Comeau do nothing but stare at the Avs player as he repeatedly crosschecked Tarares. Martin had to skate over the the end boards to take care of the business that Comeau should have. It didn't need to be a fight, it could have easily have been a "get the **** out of here" shove to the ice, but apparently even that was too much to ask for.

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 05:21 AM
LeapOnOver

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
It is very simple we played 40 minutes (and did great), unfortunately hockey is 60 or 65 minute game.
I guess I shouldn't be surprised but I guess as much as I root for DP to come back people here completely adore Montoya. I +1 you on this but I would also like to add that any knowledgeable hockey fan has to admit that Montoya is the first goalie this season to lose us a game. He could have made some key saves there but I thought he let in at least two soft goals and still has rebound control issues. If you look at the other starts by Nabakov and DP neither one did stellar but they certainly made the easy saves when needed. Montoya is the only goalie this season to let in soft goals, 2 this last game and the first game against Florida with a shot right on that he let dribble through him.

LeapOnOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 05:44 AM
HookeyPookey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookeyPookey View Post
Avs skate as if it is a matter of WHEN they roll us not if.
quoted for truth

HookeyPookey* is offline   Reply With Quote