HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Daugavins / Foligno

Old
11-14-2011, 03:23 PM
trentmccleary

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonehead View Post
Did you even read my post? I could give a crap about Daugavins - he might be a decent 4th liner this year and will be fighting for his life next year.

This makes no sense.
You keep harping about Top-6/Bottom-6 as if there is a definitive difference in style or production. It adds 1st liners and 4th liners in a discussion about Foligno, which isn't useful at all. For the past 3 years, Foligno has been hovering around worst 2nd liner/best 3rd liner in terms of production... aka; #6-7 forward (2nd liner on a bad team and 3rd liner/2nd line injury fill-in on a good team).

But then we have people overhyping prospects and assuming the every prospect we have is going to be better than a player we have... which rarely ever seems to work out. You listed your top-6, here's mine; except that I don't care about "top-6" and I'm not concerned with any season in particular --> just about building and adding to that top-6.

#1 - Spezza (can drop to #2 in seasons when injured)
#2 - TBA
#3 - Michalek (can drop to #4 in seasons when injured)
#4 - TBA
#5 - TBA
#6/7 - Foligno

I don't see how Foligno has become expendable or is being crowded out by anybody, since our prospects have proven Jack-All thus far and certainly not consistently enough to make anybody expendable.

Quote:
Your math is off a bit. By your numbers, Foligno would be a decent 3rd liner (avg 31 points/yr for last 3 years = Foligno).
Last season, the averages were 41 & 27...
41-27 =14
14/2=7
41-7=34 or 27+7=34
34=Foligno

Quote:
This isn't bad, but it's not great, especially when you consider that top-10 teams, teams that truly contend, have 3rd liners that are true 2nd liners on other teams.
Tell me about where Cleary, Bertuzzi, Holmstrom, Filpula typically fit amongst Detroit's scoring leaders and how much they produce...

How often has Detroit gotten 50 point seasons out of forwards not named Zetterberg or Datsyuk?

Quote:
He may be a 2nd liner now but who cares? The Sens are rebuilding, this season is a write-off, and we only have 3 true top-6 forwards. Looking ahead, if you want to be good, to really contend, who wants a 3rd liner in your top 6?
Paul MacLean? He's already shorthanded enough and would probably prefer to see it get better, not worse.

If you want to be good and contend, you develop or acquire 6 forwards who are better and more productive than Nick Foligno.

Quote:
Foligno is fine on the 3rd line but I'm just not impressed by his game (hands, skating, size - I wrote this before, remember?). I have no idea where your "man crush" comes from. He's been around for a while, we know what his game is (and isn't), and I believe he'll be passed by others. BTW, nice goal on Saturday with the bloody nose and all but "small sample = small brain".
So you're bored of him and believe that he'll eventually be passed by some prospects some time... in the future. Except that he's our 4th or 5th best offensive forward right now, we have no depth and he plays a good all round game that you'd like to have on your 3rd line if/when we become a contender again.

Quote:
I agree that he's a decent player, tries hard, is usually physical, his hands are ok, boardwork solid, good at protecting the puck, and seems like a really good guy. Personally, though, and it's just my opinion, I'm always left wanting more - skillwise, physically, and especially his skating - and don't see him progressing beyond what he's already done. In contrast, I really like Smith and Greening because their positives are more distinct (bigger, more physical, skating) and have some runway to develop into more (but not much more) even though they're both essentially the same age as Foligno.
His skating is a lot better than when he started his career. He's a better skater than Smith right now. He's also a much better stickhandler and playmaker than either of Greening or Z.Smith. He's also not competing with Smith, since Smith is cementing his position as the teams 3rd line centre.

All 3 of them are on the team now and we aren't even close to being a contender. In fact, we need more talent up front, not less. So how is anybody being crowded out or made expendable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJam613 View Post
It wouldn't surprise me in the least if he put up 40+ points this year.
In his last 72 games, he's posted a 72-19-18-37 line.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 09:06 PM
bonehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
So you're bored of him and believe that he'll eventually be passed by some prospects some time... in the future.
YES!!! FINALLY!!! YOU UNDERSTAND!!! I'm bored of Nick Foligno, his 31 pts/yr 3rd line performance / plateaued progression, and I expect him to be totally replaceable by other players in the next year or two. That is my opinion of his play and his expected value to the team in the future. Nowhere am I doing any "prospect hyping insanity" of him, Kaspar Daugavins, or anyone else. Just so you remember where all this crap started.

bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 09:12 PM
Nabokov20
Karlsson for Chuck

vCash: 1031
The thing i hate about foligno is that he plays like someone he's not. Less so this season, but i remember in the past he'd always look to deke out the d like he was spezza or something. He's better now at dishing the puck off or dumping it in, but i still hate him for it.

Nabokov20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 04:43 PM
burgess1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanMonahan View Post
If I'm not mistaken he had been Nash's center the very moment he came to Columbus until midway through last season.
Nope. He has played with Nash but not as often Brassard and Umberger.

Back to the OP - you're mad if you want to get rid of Foligno. He's been our most consistent player over the last 7-10 games. Yes , he's ideally a 3rd liner, but can fill in on any line and play the role he's asked.

burgess1978 is offline   Reply With Quote