HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

NHL annouces formation of the NHL Original Productions entity

Old
11-10-2011, 12:25 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
NHL annouces formation of the NHL Original Productions entity

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=600113&print=true

NHL press release:
Quote:
The National Hockey League today announced the creation of NHL ORIGINAL PRODUCTIONS, an initiative that will join forces with renowned executive producer Ross Greenburg, through Ross Greenburg Productions.

Greenburg, who has won 51 Sports Emmy awards for his pioneering work at HBO over three decades, will work with the NHL's Content Group on NHL Original Productions initiatives.

NHL Original Productions will create original, long- and short-form hockey programming for NBC Sports and the League's media assets, beginning later this season. The new venture reflects the partnership forged between the League and NBC over the past six years and reaffirmed by the 10-year media rights deal signed in April, 2011. The launch of NHL Original Productions is the latest collaboration between the NHL and Greenburg – an alliance that produced two critically-acclaimed programs on HBO: Broad Street Bullies and the Emmy Award-winning 24/7 Penguins/Capitals: Road to the NHL Winter Classic.

NHL Original Productions also will develop original content for use by the League's media platforms (NHL Network and NHL.com) as well as national and regional rightsholders.

"Extending our programming and production capabilities through this relationship with Ross Greenburg will allow us to do more story-telling, bring fans further inside the game and promote our players through compelling content that our avid fans crave and new fans will embrace,” NHL Chief Operating Officer John Collins said. “As we continue to grow our business, NHL Original Productions will enable our Content Group, headed by Executive Vice President Charles Coplin, and our Clubs and rightsholders to benefit from Ross’s unparalleled talent and experience to present our sport in new ways.”

Among the projects on the drawing board for NHL Original Productions in 2011-12 are “Day in the Life” player documentaries revealing the regimens and personalities of NHL players appearing in NHL on NBC games. Plans also are being developed for documentaries and features to coincide with the lead up to the NHL’s Centennial Celebration in 2017. Greenburg also will work with independent producers and filmmakers to produce hockey films and other documentaries and reality-based series focused on the sport.

"Though I've long been a fan of the game, my passion for hockey -- particularly the way it is played at its highest level in the NHL -- was intensified by working on the Broad Street Bullies and 24/7 projects," Greenburg said. "Hockey players compete in a sport that requires an unmatched combination of world-class skill and relentless toughness, all the while remaining the most approachable and genuine of professional athletes. I am thrilled to be able to tell their stories in exciting and innovative ways and delighted that I'll be working so closely with the NHL for years to come."

In his 33 years at HBO – beginning as a production assistant, as an award-winning executive producer and, for the last 11 years, as the president of HBO Sports – Greenburg was instrumental in the creation of several of the network’s signature shows and series. Those included the sports magazine series Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel, the NFL training camp reality series Hard Knocks, and the 24/7 franchise which provides all-access build-ups to boxing matches and the NHL Winter Classic. The last project Greenburg supervised before leaving HBO in July was a documentary on New York Yankees captain Derek Jeter’s pursuit of 3,000 hits.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 11:34 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://puckthemedia.wordpress.com/20...ould-consider/

PTM has seven projects they'd like to see tackled, from the Eric Lindros story to the history/story of the "glow puck".

Old
11-11-2011, 12:26 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2705
Finally.

11-11-2011, 12:53 PM
Chalupa Batman
Mod Supervisor

Really looking forward to seeing what they'll come up with.

I'm hoping that the HBO group has some autonomy with respect to what they can get away with.

Chalupa Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 01:07 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor No View Post
Really looking forward to seeing what they'll come up with.

I'm hoping that the HBO group has some autonomy with respect to what they can get away with.
Greenburg left HBO, so he's totally independent (from them).

I'd love to see more of the "Voices" series; essentially they concentrated on the radio pxp guy (unless the TV guy was such a "name"). There is still the analyst and/or TV guys to do. Easily 1-3 more per team. You could also tackle other "hidden" members of the staff, like the trainers, equipment guys, scouts, GMs, etc. (perhaps 5 min per guy or something). Always interesting to learn their stories.

I like the idea of a "day in the life". I'm thinking it would be like HBO's 24/7 on the Winter Classic build up, but concentrating on one player, or a handful, on a team. Probably 30 minutes (or even 10) per player - easy "after post game" if the former length or intermission fodder for the latter length.

Old
11-11-2011, 02:24 PM
Awesome Sauce

This sounds great! Finally, some up to date content for the NHL Network.

Awesome Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 09:59 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Puck Daddy piece on Greenburg:

How Ross Greenburg plans to revolutionize NHL on TV

kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:26 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://sportsjournalism.org/sports-m...ork-talk-show/

Greenburg teaming up with Bob Costas for a monthly "Costas Tonight" indepth sports talk segment. First episode to air just before SuperBowl.

Old
11-14-2011, 09:42 PM
Bushay

I'm having a hard time believing that Costas can pull this off at this time. His run is long over. And I don't believe he has the respect of most athletes. His late night talk show was a joke and certainly didn't last very long. Now he's going to be the focus of the program. Good luck on this one. There's better people out there they could have used to pull this off. He damn near got his ass kicked in his interview with the president of the wrestling world. Vince McMahon.

Bushay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 08:45 AM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
The NHL needs to produce better product for DVD also.

Most NHL DVDs are the drizzling *****, and they have so much to offer. They should enter partnerships with right holders and release official box set of great hockey tournaments, DVD detailing great rivalries, great players...

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 11:48 AM
Mwd711

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushay View Post
I'm having a hard time believing that Costas can pull this off at this time. His run is long over. And I don't believe he has the respect of most athletes. His late night talk show was a joke and certainly didn't last very long. Now he's going to be the focus of the program. Good luck on this one. There's better people out there they could have used to pull this off. He damn near got his ass kicked in his interview with the president of the wrestling world. Vince McMahon.
Later with Bob Costas lasted for six years. He wasn't fired, he left on his own because Costas was tired of traveling to NYC from his home in St. Louis.

This is an extension of Bob's old HBO show which came after Later. The only reason his HBO program went off the air is because Costas had to give it up as part of his deal with MLB Network.

Mwd711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 11:58 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
The NHL needs to produce better product for DVD also.

Most NHL DVDs are the drizzling *****, and they have so much to offer. They should enter partnerships with right holders and release official box set of great hockey tournaments, DVD detailing great rivalries, great players...
Excluding Stanley Cup winning team "commemorative" DVD, I'm not aware that there's a lot of "game action" DVDs being made/sold. A few players have had highlights/milestone games (like Gretzky), but very few of those.

It will be very interesting to see how the release of last season's "24/7 Road to Winter Classic" DVD release in about 3 weeks goes. (DVD only, no BluRay; but it's the first "24/7" HBO has ever released.)

The Bruins' cup DVD set was the first I've been aware of that's being released in BluRay (and DVD).

Old
11-16-2011, 11:04 AM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

Hopefully this will lead to more quality documentaries in the mould of Broad Street Bullies.

I really like the Lindros idea from the link earlier in the thread, just so many stories from his career that are worth telling.

Franck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 11:52 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://puckthemedia.wordpress.com/20...-patrick-kane/

First production will debut Wednesday before Versus game coverage. Subject: Patrick Kane

Old
12-27-2011, 12:54 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://puckthemedia.wordpress.com/20...g-january-4th/

Second NHL 36 production premiering 1/4: Patrice Bergeron

(The 36 refers to a slice of 36 hours in the life of an athlete, usually leading up to a game. IOW, the personal/charity appearances, etc.)

Old
12-28-2011, 05:26 AM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2705
Cool. Anyone watch the Patrick Kane one? I didn't watch any games on Versus this season so this is the first time I heard about this show. Is it good?

Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 12:50 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Cool. Anyone watch the Patrick Kane one? I didn't watch any games on Versus this season so this is the first time I heard about this show. Is it good?
Production - great.

Story - good. Follows a player for 36 hours. Kane was doing a number of things during those hours - charity, practice, game day, etc.

Old
12-28-2011, 12:58 PM
Koss

Send a message via MSN to Koss
Will Canadians legally be allowed to watch this stuff?

Koss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 01:07 PM
Hammer Slammer

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
Production - great.

Story - good. Follows a player for 36 hours. Kane was doing a number of things during those hours - charity, practice, game day, etc.
Yeah, it was quite good unless you happened to watch 24/7 just prior. Doesn't really stack up to that but it was still pretty cool. I love any behind the scenes stuff from the NHL, so I'm easy to please.

12-28-2011, 01:13 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koss View Post
Will Canadians legally be allowed to watch this stuff?
It's been repeated on NHL Network, so check your local listings.

Old
12-28-2011, 01:52 PM
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.

Can they FORCE the Devils into participating?

Otherwise, with Lou at the helm, nothing is going to come out of NJ.

njdevsfn95 is online now   Reply With Quote