HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Jagr Thread

Closed Thread

Old
08-30-2011, 11:32 PM
ThosePuckingPenguins

vCash: 500
The Jagr Thread

Brought to you by...The Pensblog.

http://thepensblog.com/tpb/aug2011/double-j-speaks.html

Not sure how to feel about some of his quotes. I understand what he's saying but he comes off as bit of a ******.

Old
08-30-2011, 11:36 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThosePuckingPenguins View Post
Brought to you by...The Pensblog.

http://thepensblog.com/tpb/aug2011/double-j-speaks.html

Not sure how to feel about some of his quotes. I understand what he's saying but he comes off as bit of a ******.
thats because he is a ******

Old
08-30-2011, 11:40 PM
Cardboard Orpik
Out 4-6 Weeks

What's a "Jagr"?

/I'mnotbitter

Old
08-30-2011, 11:49 PM
metalan2

That's a great quote about playing for the league minimum.

Old
08-30-2011, 11:49 PM
clefty
What?

*Shrug*

He's mostly right on the first count.

And as far as $2 million being fourth line money to him, he's always had an inflated sense of self worth since the day he could talk, so big deal. As far as I'm concerned, he left ten years ago and I came to terms with it about 6 months after that. What happened in June changed none of my perception.

Old
08-30-2011, 11:56 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
If you want a player of certain quality, you can’t offer him third or fourth line money, can you? When you see players on the first line get about seven millions and second liners get five millions, I think my place would be somewhere in between. They offered me fourth line money. That’s it."

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
08-30-2011, 11:57 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

vCash: 50
Quote:
If you want a player of certain quality, you can’t offer him third or fourth line money, can you? When you see players on the first line get about seven millions and second liners get five millions, I think my place would be somewhere in between. They offered me fourth line money. That’s it."
So...it's okay to sign for third line money in Philadelphia? $3.3 million certainly isn't between $7 and $5 million, you jackass.

The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light. - Stanley Kubrick
Old
08-31-2011, 12:11 AM
Rob Scuderi

Easy folks, if there's one place that knows what Jagr quotes truly mean it's this place. Talking for the sake of talking seems to be his game, he just has to hope the narrative strings together at the end, at least to him.

Old
08-31-2011, 12:20 AM
Sidney the Kidney
Epic Collapse

vCash: 1000
This one stands out to me as one of the bigger "WTF?" quotes.

Quote:
In response to being asked about once saying he'd play for Lemieux for league minimum:

"Sure. What can I say? I think its a bit silly to make a connection between that statement and the current situation. Its a bit out of context. Its like before the wedding youd tell your bride that youll never leave her. And then a month later something happens and you get a divorce."
I'm still not even sure what he means.

Old
08-31-2011, 12:24 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Iron Proficient

Quote:
"Sure. What can I say? I think it’s a bit silly to make a connection between that statement and the current situation. It’s a bit out of context. It’s like before the wedding you’d tell your bride that you’ll never leave her. And then a month later something happens and you get a divorce."
No. The statement was used in exactly the right context.

The guy's got cojones though, trying to suggest something that's so blatantly and obviously untrue.

Old
08-31-2011, 01:18 AM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 1012
We are still talking about this guy? As far as I'm concerned, I don't care anymore. What he did for us was great, but now, he played with our feelings one time too many. He can rot in Philadelphia and destroy their lookerroom, there's at least that he can do for us.

Poor Max, stock with that dimwit.

Old
08-31-2011, 06:35 AM
Dupree13

Honestly, fair enough. I can't knock any of those quotes. I said it all along that the Pens didn't really make an honest effort to get Jagr. Right or wrong.

As far as holding him to the league minimum thing, I just really can't fathom how anyone would think he should be held to that statement. People say things in the moment all the time. Especially sentimental things like that. No reasonable person would take that as a pledge.

Old
08-31-2011, 06:43 AM
Sour Shoes
lol u mad cam?

most of the flyer fan reaction to the jagr signing was - "omg, like jagr totally trolled the pens...lol"

jagr's quotes indicate to me that the exact opposite may have happened. shero gave him an efff you offer and moved on.

Old
08-31-2011, 06:57 AM
PensPlz

Send a message via Skype™ to PensPlz
Everything of what he says kind of makes sense, if it's the truth.

Still though.. there were probably A LOT of teams making higher offers than the *** Flyers for this guy. There is some ugly undertone of why he signed with Philly, which makes him a doucher. And bitter much for being boo'ed? Just shows that booing does actually get to the guys.

Old
08-31-2011, 07:05 AM
Rob Scuderi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sour Shoes View Post
most of the flyer fan reaction to the jagr signing was - "omg, like jagr totally trolled the pens...lol"

jagr's quotes indicate to me that the exact opposite may have happened. shero gave him an efff you offer and moved on.
See his quotes indicated to me that he has a wholly unrealistic perception of what players get paid in the NHL. As such what you laid out probably did occur that way in Jagr's eyes but that doesn't make it any less illogical or senseless.

Old
08-31-2011, 07:06 AM

Almost wanted him back because of his link to the 90's cups but not really. The guys a jerk and it goes way beyond "dying alive". Keep him away from Sid and Zhenya.

As for the Flyers, they trade away two tumors and bring in another. Maybe Jags will be happy being so close to AC.

Old
08-31-2011, 07:09 AM
Dr Van Nostrand
Banned

Guys, we all know why he signed in Philly. It's mainly because he likes Atlantic City better than the Meadows and the Rivers

Old
08-31-2011, 07:17 AM
JTG

All those who said it was no longer about the money...line up and take your lashings.

Old
08-31-2011, 07:19 AM
Gooch

Just goes to show that Shero never made a serious attempt to get it and in the end we were trolled by our own GM. They knew thats what the fans wanted and made a completely half-assed effort at it. Jagr getting 100% of the blame on this isnt accurate. He certainly deserves some blame though as he is on record saying he'd play for the league minimum but lets not let our GM off the hook for the lowball offer and the early pullout that basically was only for show and never with any real intention of signing him.

Old
08-31-2011, 07:25 AM
JTG

Jagr trolled Shero. Shero was extending an offer in good faith after Jagr was saying how his heart was in Pittsburgh. If my heart is somewhere, I'm doing what I have to do to be there. Not say that, then field offers from several other teams.

He was being offered what he should be offered for being out of the league for so long, and being the age he was.

Old
08-31-2011, 07:26 AM
Rob Scuderi

Meh he's 39 and just played three consecutive 50 game seasons. All I care about is us come playoff time, he'd probably be so gassed come April coming from the KHL anyways.

You could have dumped Niskanen and not signed Sullivan and you'd have 4.5M to sign Jagr and move up/sign a #7 D which would totally be doable but obviously Shero and co. weren't sold he was worth it. Plus its not like Jagr didn't sort of antagonize them throughout the process. If he felt 2.3 or whatever it was, was that much a slap in the face then he could have walked then instead of getting into a ridiculous situation with a team where they end up revoking the offer cause he's just not worth it, at this stage in career. If this a younger Jagr and they played hardball to only have him go to Philly that'd be devastating, this situation though doesn't really phase me. At least we'll get to see him play more a final year than if signed elsewhere. Plus we can watch Orpik **** his day up 6 times this year which will be awesome.

Old
08-31-2011, 07:30 AM
JTG

A lot of us saw signing Dupuis as just an outside option. I have a feeling that Dupuis was always on Shero's radar, and he was going to re-sign him regardless.

I also think the Sullivan signing is underrated. He should be the remedy for our biggest deficiency.

Old
08-31-2011, 07:34 AM
schmidtlesauce

dont remember when the quote was, but he suggested that he couldnt play with sid and geno because they are both left handed. ok cool story, bro

Old
08-31-2011, 07:40 AM
Dr Van Nostrand
Banned

wasn't Ron Francis a lefty?

Old
08-31-2011, 07:41 AM
JTG

It was a cop out. The real reason was the money.

Closed Thread