HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Need stick advice for my kid.

Old
11-22-2011, 04:33 PM
johnny1976

vCash: 500
Need stick advice for my kid.

Hi all,

Just wondering when I should get my son a jr stick. He is 8 years old, 60lbs, and tall for his age. His youth sticks are at chest level right now without being cut and if he grows anymore this year I'm afraid his sticks will be to short. My problem is if I bought him a jr stick, I would really have to cut it down for him, creating a really stiff stick. Is there anything eles I could look into?

Any advice is much appreciated.

johnny1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 04:39 PM
OvenChicken8

Buy him a junior if he needs more height, eventually he will get use to the stiffness of the stick. Being that he's 8 I don't think his shot will be negatively affected too much from a bit of a stiffer stick.

OvenChicken8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 04:41 PM
newfr4u

$3 wood stick end plug from any store that sells sticks?

newfr4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 04:47 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Chest on skates, right? That is a bit short. You can either do a wood plug (might have to sand the tenon to fit) or cut down a junior stick. Like Oven said, at that age flex isn't so much an issue.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 05:04 PM
ponder

Sounds like his youth stick is already a couple inches short, and junior sticks are what, about 6" longer than youth sticks? As others have said he won't really know how to use the flex in his stick right now anyways, if you get him a junior and have to cut it down like 3-4" that shouldn't be a big deal.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 05:11 PM
shawn1331

Don't worry about stiffness of a stick, he's 8. I still barely use my flex on my stick and I'm 16. Hell buddy on my varsity hockey team is 5th in scoring for the OMHA AAA who is most likely going to the big show doesn't use the flex in his stick to its full potenial. Most guys won't use it until there in a higher league like the OHL where they get prostock and better whippier sticks. I use an 85 cut to a 90 and don't get me wrong I flex it somewhat and I do alot when I slapshot but it was never really a factor until I hit midget. I always found junoirs to be too soft and I had trouble devoloping a good slapshot because I was too short for a intermediate and too strong for a junior.

shawn1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 06:50 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Sounds like his youth stick is already a couple inches short, and junior sticks are what, about 6" longer than youth sticks? As others have said he won't really know how to use the flex in his stick right now anyways, if you get him a junior and have to cut it down like 3-4" that shouldn't be a big deal.
This. And as to the wood plug idea, no Junior plug is going to fit into a youth stick and you'll really have to spend some time to sand it down so that it fits perfectly. The handle of the plug will still be bigger than the youth shaft.

The CCM U+CL offers a 40 flex junior stick a couple inches shorter iirc than other Juniors. Miken will also soon release their new line of Junior sticks in shorter lengths and whippier flexes as well, but you might have some trouble finding them.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 12:33 PM
newfr4u

just went to play it again sports, and they had only had senior and junior plugs. so everyone is pretty much spot on to just use a junior stick.

newfr4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 09:32 AM
johnny1976

Thanks for all the replies.

Now for a follow up question. What kind of stick should I get for him? His youth sticks all come in top of the line models. He has a Bauer x60 and an easton eq 50. I know I will not be spending on the high end sticks, but I saw some sales on lower end sticks and there is an easton s3 going for $25. Is that an ok stick for him?

johnny1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 10:09 AM
AIREAYE

The youth sticks are all simply PAINTED like top-of-the-line sticks; purely marketing. They have none of the features of the top sticks in JR and above and don't perform proportionally either. They just look like that to visually appeal to little kids.

As for your kid, how good is his shot? If he's playing house league and he can just sometimes raise the puck, then definitely save the money and buy a cheap stick like the S3; he won't be able to take advantage of a better stick.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 05:32 PM
shawn1331

I had a XXX lite and loved it. costed 200 bucks(after they were discontinued). Got an S5 for $30 cause it had a minor cosmetic scratch in it so the sales guy lowered it $20. Then he took off another $20 because it was the last right handed S5 in the bin. Best stick I've ever had by far and I can buy 6 of em before I spend $200.

Long story short yes he should be ok with it, but also look at imperfections in the finish and sales guys will usually knock it down some.

shawn1331 is offline   Reply With Quote