HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kesler Playing Wing

Old
09-24-2011, 01:22 PM
gsharpe

vCash: 500
Kesler Playing Wing

I've never played hockey at any kind significant level. Can someone please explain to me what the big problem is with moving Kesler to right wing?

We could really use a power forward winger.

gsharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 01:26 PM
adamzilla

Not having an adequate replacement for him in the 2C spot is the big problem.

adamzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 01:27 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamzilla View Post
Not having an adequate replacement for him in the 2C spot is the big problem.
+1

We don't have a surplus of *proven* NHL offensive centers.

Why "fix" one hole by creating another hole?

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 01:28 PM
YouCantYandleThis*
Moustache Enthusiast

How about, why would you take a a 70+ point, 40 goal capable player, who happens to enjoy selke level defence (his faceoffs are a huge part of that), out of his element and make him learn a different style of game?

YouCantYandleThis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 01:30 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

The biggest problem I see is that despite the fact we need a power forward on the wing, we have something more coveted and valuable in Kesler as a C.

He is one of the best two way centres in the game who scored 40 goals last season. Every team in the league would love a centre like Kesler as one part of a championship blueprint of a team.

Jay Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 01:31 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

^ Basically what they said.

Now if Hodgson can prove himself to some extent, I don't see a huge problem trying Hodgson at "C", but lining up at wing for draws while Kesler takes them.

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 01:32 PM
Ernie

Centers play a more important defensive role than wingers and arguably play the most important position on the ice. Kesler is the top defensive center in the league, and also a top 10 faceoff man.

It is absolutely out of the question that he'd be shifted to wing to make room for a rookie like Hodgson, who is weak at all aspects of the game at this point. Anyone who continues to suggest this is just demonstrating their ignorance of the game of hockey and definitely should spend more time educating themselves and less time spouting nonsense.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 01:34 PM
Mitts McCann

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouCantYandleThis View Post
How about, why would you take a a 70+ point, 40 goal capable player, who happens to enjoy selke level defence (his faceoffs are a huge part of that), out of his element and make him learn a different style of game?
Trust me it's not hard for a center to move to wing. Every center in the league can do it. I think Kesler's career would last longer playing wing. They way he's going he's got six years left...max. The wear and tear on his body is gonna catch up to him. I think If Hodgson can prove he can play center at a high level....move Kesler to the wing. He's more a shoot first player anyways...Hodgson is more of a playmaker. It would work. The Canucks have enough depth to do it anyways.

Mitts McCann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 01:39 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
Trust me it's not hard for a center to move to wing. Every center in the league can do it.
I agree.

That's why if CoHo shows he has the goods he could make a pretty easy transition to the wing when Kesler comes back.

I honestly don't see a scenario where CoHo plays centre with a healthy lineup next season.

Jay Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 01:52 PM
gsharpe

I guess what I don't understand is why people think that Kesler at right wing is some how "wasting" his talent. Are you saying that he wont score 40 goals, 70 points and play selke defence on the wing? Burrows got votes for the selke and he plays right wing.

Moving Kesler to the wing would also allow him to forecheck. Something I'd rather Kesler do than Hodgson.

Old
09-24-2011, 01:59 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

There's no question that Kesler can play right wing just fine. Did people not follow the Canucks a few seasons back when he did just that? And did it well?

The question is why would you put a Selke winning, 40-goal scoring, top-10 faceoff center to wing? He excels at center and provide *the* perfect balance in the #2 spot behind a top playmaking center in Henrik.

Hodgson should be the one moving to wing here. Taking Kesler away from the most important defensive forward position on the team, when he's arguably the best player in the league in that role, doesn't make a lot of sense.

And it also doesn't make any sense when people suggest you have to have your playmaker at center.. Sure it's conventional, but it seems to work just fine for Stamkos and MSL to have their primary playmaker on the right side... If Hodgson can make that adjustment, having your playmaker on the right side, with your Selke winning center in the middle will be better for the team than moving the better defensive player to the wing just to have your playmaker in the middle.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 02:00 PM
gsharpe

I should probably mention before some people get all offended. This is obviously under the assumption that we have a center to play in that offensive second line role. I'm not saying we should force Hodgson onto the team just for ***** and giggles.

If Hodgson is putting up ~40 point pace when Kesler comes back I would love to see it tried though.

Old
09-24-2011, 02:09 PM
biturbo19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsharpe View Post
I guess what I don't understand is why people think that Kesler at right wing is some how "wasting" his talent. Are you saying that he wont score 40 goals, 70 points and play selke defence on the wing? Burrows got votes for the selke and he plays right wing.

Moving Kesler to the wing would also allow him to forecheck. Something I'd rather Kesler do than Hodgson.
that is the issue right there. it certainly won't make Kesler any worse as a defensive player...BUT it would significantly decrease his responsibilities defensively...and we don't have a proven replacement for that.

One of the biggest advantages that this team enjoys, is the ability to have that Selke winning presence down the middle. That means, not only can we trust him for 20+ minutes worth of 'shutdown defence' (which most teams can get from a pure checking line), we ALSO get 40g-70pts out of those 'defensive minutes'.

Basically, the issue isn't that Kesler would suffer from moving to the wing...we already know he would likely be great there as well. But the problem lies in significantly downgrading our team as a whole, by taking away one of the aspects of our 2nd line that makes it so special.

Hodgson is NOT likely to be playing a lot of that head-to-head defensive role, which means that as a result of moving Kesler to the wing, you end up shuffling HUGE defensive minutes to Malhotra and whoever his wingers are. Which may be ok defensively, but you've essentially booked 20-25 minutes a night where your team isn't likely to score. And THAT is a problem.

biturbo19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 03:09 PM
whoshouse

I think the bases of this argument is that Hodgson is NHL-ready and can contribute both defensively and offensively as a centre. Hes shown flashes so far this preseason of becoming that good second line centre. Hopefully by mid season he can become dependable and have the same growth rate that Couture had last season. The only way we will find out that if Hodgson can play centre is by actually playing him there. Whether its on the third line or second line.

whoshouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 03:23 PM
lush
@jasonlush

Why don't we move Luongo to wing while we're at it

lush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 03:26 PM
rypper
FIRE BENNING.

vCash: 50
Lol kesler has much more then 6 years left. Ridiculous statement.

rypper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 03:33 PM
Bleach Clean

This isn't even a question until Hodgson proves he needs to be put on the 2nd line. He hasn't done that yet, so no need to "worry". And if he does prove that, then the Canucks are laughing.

Basically, moving Kesler to wing demands that his replacement be worth the change. So far, that is not the case.

Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 03:40 PM
biturbo19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurley View Post
Lol kesler has much more then 6 years left. Ridiculous statement.
It sounds pretty ridiculous the way it was stated there, but when you start doing the math...it's not that far off from realistic.

6 years would take him to ~33years old. Given Kesler's style of game, i don't realistically see him being the type of player who will be overly productive much beyond that. Let's say, 35yrs is the best case scenario of his truly productive years. That's not, 'much more than 6 years' left.

But that said, i doubt it makes a whole lot of difference whether he's playing Center or Wing. Either way, Kesler is going to be hard on his body, and he's going to slow down over time just the same.

biturbo19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 04:17 PM
whoshouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
This isn't even a question until Hodgson proves he needs to be put on the 2nd line. He hasn't done that yet, so no need to "worry". And if he does prove that, then the Canucks are laughing.

Basically, moving Kesler to wing demands that his replacement be worth the change. So far, that is not the case.
This is a discussion forum. If people on these boards were not allowed to talk about the future you would only have threads talking about how Luongo choked in the playoffs or how Sedin dives constantly.

Old
09-24-2011, 04:18 PM
whoshouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by lush View Post
Why don't we move Luongo to wing while we're at it
Great insight.

Old
09-24-2011, 04:38 PM
whoshouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFITO View Post
And it also doesn't make any sense when people suggest you have to have your playmaker at center.. Sure it's conventional, but it seems to work just fine for Stamkos and MSL to have their primary playmaker on the right side... If Hodgson can make that adjustment, having your playmaker on the right side, with your Selke winning center in the middle will be better for the team than moving the better defensive player to the wing just to have your playmaker in the middle.
The reason guys like MSL can play the wing is because they're quick and fast enough to play that position. Hodgson just doesn't strike me as a player who can fit the Canucks system as a winger. Perhaps now that he has gotten a bit quicker he may be given a chance at the position but he just fits in the centre position a lot better.

I just dont think the team should hinder the development of a player with Hodgson's type of potential by playing him in a position where hes never played before in his career, let alone in the NHL. As you said, Kesler can play wing and was damn good at it and by giving him that much more space to skate and create more scoring chances it will boost the secondary scoring on this team which was sorely lacking in the tight checking type of play in the playoffs.

If Hodgson can demonstrate the defensive and offensive awareness in the next 30 games or so while he plays second line centre he should at least be given the opportunity to play with Kesler as his centre. Or at least play Hodgson on the third line centre position pushing Maholtra down a line. And whose to say Hodgson can't be fundamentally sound in the defensive zone? He was used in all situations in his junior career and Pat Quinn trusted him in key times when the Canadian team needed to protect a lead.

If you want this team to take the next step then you need to give opportunities to players who can make a difference. And if Hodgson can give you two scoring lines instead of just one.. you should at least allow him the opportunity.

Personally, I'd love to see what Schroeder can do with Kesler in the centre position. I feel Schroeder has the speed and skill to compliment Kesler very well. And that also frees Hodgson to play on the third line. Giving the team three scoring lines to roll out throughout the game. Then if a lead needs to be protected you can stick Kesler back in to the centre spot and have him focus on shutting the other team's line down.

Old
09-24-2011, 05:14 PM
rypper
FIRE BENNING.

vCash: 50
Kesler will play much longer then 35 years old. Especially more then 33 years.

rypper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 05:31 PM
AmazingNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
Trust me it's not hard for a center to move to wing. Every center in the league can do it. I think Kesler's career would last longer playing wing. They way he's going he's got six years left...max. The wear and tear on his body is gonna catch up to him. I think If Hodgson can prove he can play center at a high level....move Kesler to the wing. He's more a shoot first player anyways...Hodgson is more of a playmaker. It would work. The Canucks have enough depth to do it anyways.
Winning now > winning in 7 years.

Any wear and tear that Kesler faces comes from his powerplay positioning (at the front of the net) and he won't be taken off that role regardless of whether he's a winger or centre. Given the increased number of board battles and resulting physical interaction with defenders whilst coming in on the forecheck that Kesler would have to contend with, I would argue that playing as a winger would do more damage than having to skate harder as a center and playing tight checking against offensive centres.

AmazingNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 05:48 PM
jammyrft

Center is the most important forward position there is. Kesler is a warrior when he battles for position with the top Dmen in the league. The way he stands his ground, screens goalies and tips in point shots is almost unrivaled. Not to mention he's a stud in the face-off circle. You need to be very strong and battle very hard to keep position in front of the net when you have guys like Chara, Weber, Keith etc breaking down your neck.

You don't move him to the wing for a lot more reasons than why you do. It's very VERY hard to aquire the depth like the Nucks do at center. The Sharks and Kings brass have both publicly said they cannot compete with our depth at center and are trying to beef up to purely try and match us. 29 other teams in the league would take Sedin, Kesler and Malholtra as their top 3 C Any day. As it is right now Kesler is a 40g centerman and Hodgson is fighting to make the team. If you compare Kesler to Hodgson Kesler is bigger, stronger and more equipped to battle in front of the net. Hodgson might fair better trying to battle and cycle in the corners feeding the puck to kes or back to the Dmen than trying to muscle his way around the opposing goalie. Plus AV seems to ice 2 centermen in case 1 gets thrown out of the circle in which case Hodg is there to step up.

Unless Hodg starts potting 30+ goals, gets nominated for a selke award and shows he can physically fight and compete as hard as Kes does infront of the net you don't move Kesler to the wing for Hodgson.

jammyrft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 05:58 PM
huntison

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammyrft View Post
Center is the most important forward position there is. Kesler is a warrior when he battles for position with the top Dmen in the league. The way he stands his ground, screens goalies and tips in point shots is almost unrivaled. Not to mention he's a stud in the face-off circle. You need to be very strong and battle very hard to keep position in front of the net when you have guys like Chara, Weber, Keith etc breaking down your neck.

You don't move him to the wing for a lot more reasons than why you do. It's very VERY hard to aquire the depth like the Nucks do at center. The Sharks and Kings brass have both publicly said they cannot compete with our depth at center and are trying to beef up to purely try and match us. 29 other teams in the league would take Sedin, Kesler and Malholtra as their top 3 C Any day. As it is right now Kesler is a 40g centerman and Hodgson is fighting to make the team. If you compare Kesler to Hodgson Kesler is bigger, stronger and more equipped to battle in front of the net. Hodgson might fair better trying to battle and cycle in the corners feeding the puck to kes or back to the Dmen than trying to muscle his way around the opposing goalie. Plus AV seems to ice 2 centermen in case 1 gets thrown out of the circle in which case Hodg is there to step up.

Unless Hodg starts potting 30+ goals, gets nominated for a selke award and shows he can physically fight and compete as hard as Kes does infront of the net you don't move Kesler to the wing for Hodgson.
Bold = horny.

huntison is offline   Reply With Quote