HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

OT: Thinking NHL Expansion

View Poll Results: Which Two Cities Should Get NHL Expansion Teams
Minneapolis 6 13.04%
Milwaukee 12 26.09%
Quebec City 37 80.43%
Austin 1 2.17%
Cleveland 5 10.87%
Cincinnati 1 2.17%
Anchorage 5 10.87%
Indianapolis 3 6.52%
Other (explain) 19 41.30%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-07-2011, 06:31 PM
  #1
CriminallyVu1gar
LGBTerrific
 
CriminallyVu1gar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 814
vCash: 500
OT: Thinking NHL Expansion

With the prospect of moving to four divisions, I think it would make a lot more sense if they all had even teams. I'd be more prone to contracting two of the poorer markets, but I'm curious as to what people think about expansion, specifically which cities should get new teams.


*If a mod could edit the poll and add Seattle, that would be awesome.*

CriminallyVu1gar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 06:38 PM
  #2
CupWanted
#19 The Future
 
CupWanted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 780
vCash: 500
Contraction seems like a better idea than expansion to me. Contract Phoenix and Florida where hockey isn't popular enough for the team to be financially solvent.

If it has to be expansion give the greater Toronto area a second team and Quebec City. You won't have to worry about hockey being popular enough in those two places, which is very important as a lot of NHL revenue is based off profit at the gate.

CupWanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 07:01 PM
  #3
sabresfan129103
Registered User
 
sabresfan129103's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Amherst, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,609
vCash: 500
not a big fan of expansion. I think we have enough teams as it is.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 07:40 PM
  #4
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe
 
New Sabres Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 37,166
vCash: 500
From a pure geographic standpoint, putting a team in Seattle, Portland, or even Las Vegas would do wonders.

From a practical sense, Kansas City absolutely has to be on there--they have an NHL-ready arena just waiting for a team.

From a "grow the game" sense, Houston must be attractive for the large population base.

For any expansion to work, they have to have good ownership though--that is what doomed Atlanta more than anything.

As for Florida--I believe the ownership group uses the Panthers as a loss leader for their investments around the Arena, so even though they are losing money it is a stable franchise. Would be nice to have an owner who cares more about hockey, but c'est la vie.

And Phoenix can succeed with the right owner--one who is willing to invest in the team and get them out of the first round for the first time in franchise history.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 07:44 PM
  #5
CriminallyVu1gar
LGBTerrific
 
CriminallyVu1gar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 814
vCash: 500
I agree that contraction is preferable, but that's not the point of the thread.

Either way, the NHL isn't doing that bad in terms of attendance when compared to the other three major sports leagues.

CriminallyVu1gar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 08:41 PM
  #6
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life
 
enrothorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Downtown Buffalo
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,321
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
Yet you have Minneapolis there when St Paul has a team?

/boggle

enrothorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 09:00 PM
  #7
ZemgusWho
Play for 2013+
 
ZemgusWho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 2,025
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
From a pure geographic standpoint, putting a team in Seattle, Portland, or even Las Vegas would do wonders.

From a practical sense, Kansas City absolutely has to be on there--they have an NHL-ready arena just waiting for a team.
Yeah, you left out the cities that are actually attempting to or have been talking about getting a team.

Seattle, KC, Vegas and Quebec City are the only 4 cities that I think have actually been part of the expansion conversation.

though I disagree with the majority of the posters, as I believe the new unbalanced 4 divisions 7/7/8/8 means the league is eyeing expansion before contraction.

ZemgusWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 09:02 PM
  #8
ZemgusWho
Play for 2013+
 
ZemgusWho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 2,025
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
not a big fan of expansion. I think we have enough teams as it is.
perhaps this thread is not the place, but I never really understood this argument. how do we know when there's "enough teams?"

ZemgusWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 09:08 PM
  #9
Stone87
Registered User
 
Stone87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Rochester
Country: United States
Posts: 1,746
vCash: 500
I get the feeling the Coyotes are relocating next year and that might have been an additional reason to put off the realignment talk for a season. Until that situation is resolved and the Islanders get a new arena I think it would be a huge mistake to consider expansion.

Stone87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 09:12 PM
  #10
ZemgusWho
Play for 2013+
 
ZemgusWho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 2,025
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone87 View Post
I get the feeling the Coyotes are relocating next year and that might have been an additional reason to put off the realignment talk for a season. Until that situation is resolved and the Islanders get a new arena I think it would be a huge mistake to consider expansion.
well, if the offer on the Island falls through, the Islanders would likely relocated to Brooklyn/Queens as a couple of groups have expressed interest already. So even in the worst case scenario, that doesn't change a whole lot. I do agree that I think Phoenix is a decent possibility to be in Quebec by 2013.

ZemgusWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 09:32 PM
  #11
CriminallyVu1gar
LGBTerrific
 
CriminallyVu1gar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post
Yet you have Minneapolis there when St Paul has a team?

/boggle
Minnesota is hockey crazy, their support for NCAA hockey and youth hockey shows that. Putting a second team in the Twin Cities is a big ? for sure, but I thought there were enough pros to doing so to make it worth mentioning. Feel free to offer other cities if you think there are better choices. This thread is largely hypothetical and I'm curious to see where perceptions lie with other people.

CriminallyVu1gar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 11:34 PM
  #12
HogtownSabresfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,107
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CriminallyVu1gar View Post
Minnesota is hockey crazy, their support for NCAA hockey and youth hockey shows that. Putting a second team in the Twin Cities is a big ? for sure, but I thought there were enough pros to doing so to make it worth mentioning. Feel free to offer other cities if you think there are better choices. This thread is largely hypothetical and I'm curious to see where perceptions lie with other people.
Two teams in Minny. -10% likelihood of that. You also forgot second team for Toronto. Not to mention team in Hamilton that NHL won't allow because it will hurt Buffalo. Toronto and Quebec City are next likely market. The fight in Toronto will be with Leafs because the team will be put in part of city that doesn't conflict with Buffalo, plus NHL can charge $500-million for relocation.


Last edited by joshjull: 07-08-2011 at 01:15 PM. Reason: If you don't like the topic don't post.
HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 11:42 PM
  #13
Vito_81
Registered User
 
Vito_81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,107
vCash: 500
Quebec and other. Other being another Canadian market.

Vito_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 03:24 AM
  #14
CriminallyVu1gar
LGBTerrific
 
CriminallyVu1gar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
Two teams in Minny. -10% likelihood of that. You also forgot second team for Toronto. Not to mention team in Hamilton that NHL won't allow because it will hurt Buffalo. Toronto and Quebec City are next likely market. The fight in Toronto will be with Leafs because the team will be put in part of city that doesn't conflict with Buffalo, plus NHL can charge $500-million for relocation.
Isn't idle speculation and hypothetical thinking what we do around here, especially in the offseason? I think you either took the thread way too seriously or glazed over the parts where I said that the idea was borne out of simple curiosity.

I chose Minneapolis because Minnesota is a strong hockey market, and I'd love to see a potential new team and the wild beat the crap out of each other.


Last edited by joshjull: 07-08-2011 at 01:16 PM.
CriminallyVu1gar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 03:42 AM
  #15
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life
 
enrothorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Downtown Buffalo
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,321
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
Quote:
Originally Posted by CriminallyVu1gar View Post
Isn't idle speculation and hypothetical thinking what we do around here, especially in the offseason? I think you either took the thread way too seriously or glazed over the parts where I said that the idea was borne out of simple curiosity.

I chose Minneapolis because Minnesota is a strong hockey market, and I'd love to see a potential new team and the wild beat the crap out of each other.
There is less than zero percent chance another team is placed in Minnesota. None. Zip. Zilch.

If hockey crazy and wealthy cities like Toronto and Montreal don't have a second team, a mid-low income city like Minneapolis won't get one. Hell, they are possibly going to lose the Vikings because of the money. Just because an area has passionate fans doesn't mean another team is viable.


Last edited by joshjull: 07-08-2011 at 01:16 PM.
enrothorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 04:33 AM
  #16
SECRET SQUIRREL
Registered User
 
SECRET SQUIRREL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Clarence
Country: Ireland
Posts: 1,147
vCash: 500
Quebec and Seattle would be my guess, but I highly doubt they will would expand by next season.

SECRET SQUIRREL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 06:45 AM
  #17
Mergus merganser
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,291
vCash: 500
Anchorage would be an awesome place for a team. Travel would be a *****, but they would have one hell of a following up there. Too bad they don't have the population to support it.

Mergus merganser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 07:29 AM
  #18
FoSotC
Registered User
 
FoSotC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 576
vCash: 500
- Phoenix -> Quebec City

- 2 Expansion teams awarded to teams out west in deserving markets, don't care where.

There needs to be more teams in the west so EST teams like the Blue Jackets and Red Wings have a shot at moving to the eastern conference and no longer have to deal with horrible travel and time zone differences. If there's anything good that will come from this hypothetical expansion that isn't necessary imo, that would be it.

FoSotC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 09:02 AM
  #19
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck
 
SackTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 4,918
vCash: 500
I can't even hypothetically add more teams to an NHL that is already bloated by 4-6 franchises already.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 10:04 AM
  #20
HogtownSabresfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,107
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
I can't even hypothetically add more teams to an NHL that is already bloated by 4-6 franchises already.
There is that too. But I could see Bettman adding two teams in a short-sighted whim to grab cash. The Toronto marketplace is the most lucrative in the NHL right now. It's rich, massive and served by one NHL team -- I'm using the word generously for the Leafs. I don't think the NHL owners will be able to resist this because it could be $400M to $500M fee to split. Problem is Leafs claim they can block any move while NHL says only majority of owners have to agree.
Balsiille proved Toronto can support a second team when he sold like 13,000 season ticket deposits in like a day and that was for games to be played in HAMILTON.
Toronto is going to be a huge fight in the future. Huge. There is now discussion about an arena being built in Markham, northeast end of TO, which may not have hit Buffalo news. It's out of the Sabres range so only battle would be with Leafs.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 10:08 AM
  #21
WhoIsJimBob
Suffering
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 14,687
vCash: 500
I went with Quebec City and other.

Personally, I would have thrown Toronto/South Ontario, KC, Seattle, Portland, Hartford, and Las Vegas ahead of the non-Quebec teams listed.

From a practical POV, I'd go with KC as they have the arena and could be plug & play.

But, Vegas is really intriguing to me.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 10:09 AM
  #22
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck
 
SackTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 4,918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
There is that too. But I could see Bettman adding two teams in a short-sighted whim to grab cash. The Toronto marketplace is the most lucrative in the NHL right now. It's rich, massive and served by one NHL team -- I'm using the word generously for the Leafs. I don't think the NHL owners will be able to resist this because it could be $400M to $500M fee to split. Problem is Leafs claim they can block any move while NHL says only majority of owners have to agree.
Balsiille proved Toronto can support a second team when he sold like 13,000 season ticket deposits in like a day and that was for games to be played in HAMILTON.
Toronto is going to be a huge fight in the future. Huge. There is now discussion about an arena being built in Markham, northeast end of TO, which may not have hit Buffalo news. It's out of the Sabres range so only battle would be with Leafs.
Fair observation, but I can't see MLSE ever allowing anyone to cut into their cash cow.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 10:13 AM
  #23
LabattBlue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 372
vCash: 500
I voted for Quebec City and "Other", with the cities in the order of preference...Toronto, Seattle, Kansas City.

LabattBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 01:07 PM
  #24
CriminallyVu1gar
LGBTerrific
 
CriminallyVu1gar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mergus merganser View Post
Anchorage would be an awesome place for a team. Travel would be a *****, but they would have one hell of a following up there. Too bad they don't have the population to support it.
I actually have a couple people from anchorage who follow me on twitter say pretty much the same thing.

CriminallyVu1gar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 01:53 PM
  #25
Herman Hessian
Registered User
 
Herman Hessian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Brighton; UK
Country: England
Posts: 207
vCash: 500
AHEM !



Herman Hessian is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:55 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.