HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Calvert Sent to Springfield

Old
11-21-2011, 12:01 PM
Hipster Letestu

vCash: 500
Matt Calvert Sent to Springfield

Per press release

Quote:
The Columbus Blue Jackets have added goaltender Allen York to the roster on emergency recall from the Springfield Falcons, Columbusí American Hockey League affiliate and assigned left wing Matt Calvert to Springfield
Glad they made the move, he hasn't had the same jump he had last year and Arniel doesn't seem to trust him late in games. Let him develop another year or two.

Hipster Letestu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 12:33 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by astall35 View Post
Per press release

Glad they made the move, he hasn't had the same jump he had last year and Arniel doesn't seem to trust him late in games. Let him develop another year or two.
Right step but I do not understand why Arny did not trust him.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 12:43 PM
Kev22

File this under Meh, Hmm.

Kev22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 02:12 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Understandable, he doesn't look like he belongs anymore.

CBJBrassard16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 02:28 PM
Matt

He should not have been recalled after his previous four game stint where he was 0-0-0 and a minus 4. Reason they gave was he had "found his game"

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 02:45 PM
BluejacketNut

He was called up??

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 02:47 PM
CBJAlltheway
Rookie User

Wtf??

What are you all smoking?? You think the "right" move is to send down the kid who play's average maybe 6 minutes a night as of late?? How is any of this his fault? Try playing 45 second shifts and then sitting on the bench for 5 minutes and do it again.

Where's the accountability for the 25min + player's out there. If they think because they got one road win now, that because Carter got lucky, that because Nash had a couple of assists, and that because Wisniewski finally scored; then their problems are solved, they are dead wrong. These guys are tenured professionals that were possibly in the worst slumps in the league, obviously something had to give.

Howson & Arniel basically sat on their hands and did as little as possible to right the ship, and by golly, everything's fantastic now right?? I really do hope the best for this team as I know there are some good people on this squad and in the organization. But let's be careful to think that everything will be fine now becasue we got a win. And even more so, I really hope Coach Arniel starts coaching with a pair, I know that he can, not sure what's holding him back. I get it's a hard decision to bench the superstars and maybe for the most part it doesn't help keeping them out of the line up because of the minutes they play, but let's not forget, like everyone, they have to earn their spot out there too. That's the kind of industry professional sports is; this isn't a union, this isn't kindergarten, and this isn't junior. These are adults and they're players, people will have bad days (even weeks), but accountability still has to rule.

CBJAlltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 02:52 PM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

Whether it is "right" or not is irrelevant. Calvert is one of the few players on the team that doesn't have to go through waivers.

With Mason's injury, they needed a spot for York. They want to play Moore apparently and they aren't going to stick anyone on IR (yet).

I wouldn't be surprised if this is only a paper move depending on the severity of Mason's injury.

cbjgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 02:55 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Sometimes you have to.. you know.. EARN your ice time. Whether it be an intense practice or a few hard shifts in a row. Tired of coddling the young players.

Old
11-21-2011, 03:03 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Sometimes you have to.. you know.. EARN your ice time. Whether it be an intense practice or a few hard shifts in a row. Tired of coddling the young players.
I have those same thoughts when I see Brassard on the ice.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 03:05 PM
650X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJAlltheway View Post
What are you all smoking?? You think the "right" move is to send down the kid who play's average maybe 6 minutes a night as of late?? How is any of this his fault? Try playing 45 second shifts and then sitting on the bench for 5 minutes and do it again.

Where's the accountability for the 25min + player's out there. If they think because they got one road win now, that because Carter got lucky, that because Nash had a couple of assists, and that because Wisniewski finally scored; then their problems are solved, they are dead wrong. These guys are tenured professionals that were possibly in the worst slumps in the league, obviously something had to give.

Howson & Arniel basically sat on their hands and did as little as possible to right the ship, and by golly, everything's fantastic now right?? I really do hope the best for this team as I know there are some good people on this squad and in the organization. But let's be careful to think that everything will be fine now becasue we got a win. And even more so, I really hope Coach Arniel starts coaching with a pair, I know that he can, not sure what's holding him back. I get it's a hard decision to bench the superstars and maybe for the most part it doesn't help keeping them out of the line up because of the minutes they play, but let's not forget, like everyone, they have to earn their spot out there too. That's the kind of industry professional sports is; this isn't a union, this isn't kindergarten, and this isn't junior. These are adults and they're players, people will have bad days (even weeks), but accountability still has to rule.
wow go have a beer. Calvert wasn't going to save this ship. This was move likely to get Bass back in the lineup. A guy who brings it with 45 second shifts every 5 minutes. For some reason the team has responded to Boll being in the lineup. So why not try more of what Boll brings. I kind of like our 4th line tonight Boll-Dmac-Bass. 3 guys who can hit some people.

Last edited by SuperGenius: 11-21-2011 at 03:06 PM. Reason: namecalling
650X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 03:05 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 1138
I think some of us have to stop thinking of being sent down as a punishment.

The guy doesn't have to go through waivers, and he's a fringe guy for now...so he's going to go back and forth like a yo-yo until he steps up and makes a difference or his skills are needed against a particular string of opponents. It's nothing personal, and it doesn't mean the coach thinks Vermette/Umberger/Pahlsson is playing well if he's not the one 'punished'

Calvert played one noticeable game in his second stint, and a couple of noticeable shifts. if he can't earn the time here, he should go back to Springfield...after all, we're always harping on development, and I think this is what development looks like up close, unpleasant as it seems.

sheesh.

Old
11-21-2011, 03:06 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
I have those same thoughts when I see Brassard on the ice.
I share your feelings, and I am a Brassard fan. But you probably didn't need to be told that.

Old
11-21-2011, 03:16 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

IMO it was a mistake that Matt begun the season in the team and not in Falcons after his injury. He could not get his tempo. Than he had to play in Falcons and not be called from Springfiels. Another mistake. The next. I understand he needs more ice time and play in the fourth line is not extra for him. But... who will sit? Umberger or Vermette? Forgot. They played many times whorse than he but they are veterans. And Vermette has begun to play good I hope Umberger will continue in his achievments. The next... Prospal or Johansen? They are simply great. Dorsett? No. He is Arniels fan he will play always. Plus he play PK, I do not know why but he plays.
Simply either Vermette or Dorsett will trade or Matty does not have any chance to play higher than in the fourth line. Especially when he is not old Matty with his hard playing as in his first season.

Old
11-21-2011, 03:25 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooten View Post
I think some of us have to stop thinking of being sent down as a punishment.

The guy doesn't have to go through waivers, and he's a fringe guy for now...so he's going to go back and forth like a yo-yo until he steps up and makes a difference or his skills are needed against a particular string of opponents. It's nothing personal, and it doesn't mean the coach thinks Vermette/Umberger/Pahlsson is playing well if he's not the one 'punished'

Calvert played one noticeable game in his second stint, and a couple of noticeable shifts. if he can't earn the time here, he should go back to Springfield...after all, we're always harping on development, and I think this is what development looks like up close, unpleasant as it seems.

sheesh.
Agreed. Getting 6 minutes of ice time is punishment. The only way the kid develops is if he's playing. If Arniel's not going to play him, Howson needs to send him where he will.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 03:29 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Agreed. Getting 6 minutes of ice time is punishment. The only way the kid develops is if he's playing. If Arniel's not going to play him, Howson needs to send him where he will.
Agree lee

Old
11-21-2011, 03:42 PM
Doug19

vCash: 50
Good move, Calvert looks pretty bad out there, I'm actually curious why we haven't seen Mayorov back yet. I thought he looked good earlier in the season and he was sent packing much to my surprise, I'd like to see him here again eventually.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 03:48 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
Good move, Calvert looks pretty bad out there, I'm actually curious why we haven't seen Mayorov back yet. I thought he looked good earlier in the season and he was sent packing much to my surprise, I'd like to see him here again eventually.
Maxim is injured.

Old
11-21-2011, 04:15 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Kubalik may get the next look, he's back from injury and said to be playing well.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 04:32 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Kubalik may get the next look, he's back from injury and said to be playing well.
Plus his body... perfect for the third line with Vermette and Pahlsson.

Old
11-21-2011, 08:53 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Agree with this move, Matt has a big NHL future but the rigors of the NHL game have caught up with him... He will be back but some time in the AHL is appropriate. Keep working Matt, you have the goods to be a good one but it takes time and work.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 09:32 PM
Seedtype

I think he just needs to work on getting past the wall he's hit. Not saying that's a bad thing it's just something he has to do.

Seedtype is offline   Reply With Quote