Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jets fall to Panthers, 5-2

Closed Thread

Old
11-11-2011, 09:18 AM
Crazed Fan

vCash: 500
The most embarrassing part of this game was the fan who chanted Go Jets Go after the Remembrance Day montage..... ughhhh. Sounded like he got shut down pretty quickly from those around him.
Jets didnt show up until the 3rd... too late.
Still love this team more than any other. When this team clicks on all cylinders they are as competitive as any in the league. Special teams, undisciplined when they need to focus, they also need to capitalize on the scrums in front of the net, it will all come with time. I am much happier with this team than having the Coyotes.
Liked Mannino stepping in and looking pretty good. I feel more confident in him as our backup. Perhaps he starts against Columbus?

Old
11-11-2011, 09:18 AM
allan5oh
Adv stats blowhard

vCash: 50
Played good for the first 5 minutes in the 1st and almost the whole 3rd. I was there and the crowd was getting very emotional. A little over the top even. Most penalties were definitely legit, Buff shouldn't have stabbed at the puck but it was definitely not penalty worthy. After that it seemed like every little play got the ******** chant.

We simply didn't play good. Three main items:

- The breakouts are so incredibly weak at times. We need forwards that move east/west to give the defense better chances at passes.

- Need to crash the net more. What's the point of passing it to the point when there's nobody there? Everyone just stays around the perimeter.

- Our defensive zone system needs serious revamping, I've said this since game one. Even on 5-5 we dilly dally and let them get away with everything. We're not playing man on man, but rather this weak zone coverage that just doesn't work. We're really weak at scrums in front of the net.

Old
11-11-2011, 09:19 AM
Diatidialga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazed Fan View Post
The most embarrassing part of this game was the fan who chanted Go Jets Go after the Remembrance Day montage..... ughhhh. Sounded like he got shut down pretty quickly from those around him.
Jets didnt show up until the 3rd... too late.
Still love this team more than any other. When this team clicks on all cylinders they are as competitive as any in the league. Special teams, undisciplined when they need to focus, they also need to capitalize on the scrums in front of the net, it will all come with time. I am much happier with this team than having the Coyotes.
Liked Mannino stepping in and looking pretty good. I feel more confident in him as our backup. Perhaps he starts against Columbus?
Yep, I called him a ******* idiot from my living room

Old
11-11-2011, 10:14 AM
PaperRockChamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Why? Because he said the Jets played 5 minutes at the start of the first period and 20 minutes in the third and the rest of the game they played like crap, sure looked like that to me to.
No. It was how much he was ripping into the team through the media. Thinking aboot it this morning, the good thing is that he was PlSSED after losing to FLA in game 16 in the first home game after a 14day road trip.. The guy does not lack passion for this team.

Side note: Has any one else read the scrabble article re: the Jets road trip bonding? Hilarious. Stuart said Mason's the scrabble master because "he traps you".. followed by "Mason's like a Tampa Bay scrabble player"

Old
11-11-2011, 10:36 AM
broinwhyteridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustBurnsRed View Post
TSN needs to stop this post game call-in BS.

Makes dislike my fellow fans.
Plus it almost seems like the guys running it have never used phones before.

Old
11-11-2011, 10:44 AM
Jet
More Finnz pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
Beg to differ what? Those teams were a joke before they drafted Crosby, Ovechkin, etc. This same franchise has had 2 #1 picks and 2 #2 picks. You see how far that has gotten us.
Exactly. I hate this men's that you have to win the lottery to be a good team. Certainly it has worked but that makes no sense for this team. I don't want our youngsters developing in a culture of losing. Besides if anyone thinks this team is bottom 5 they're delusional.

We started good, had some very bad luck and fatigue set in. I'm not.going chicken little.till we see how the team responds. This is the first bad game this team has played in weeks IMHO.

11-11-2011, 10:50 AM
broinwhyteridge

Took the wife to her 1st game last night.

Piss poor showing for the first 40 from the Jets, but she seemed to enjoy the overall experience.

Old
11-11-2011, 10:56 AM
sipowicz
The Original

I'm a fan of Noel but lately some of things he is doing are starting to bother me, what is Stapleton doing on the PP, they have him playing the point I suppose to QB the PP, the problem with that is that he has NO shot, other teams know this and then key on the other defence man paired with him basically eliminating any element of surprise of which point the puck will be shot from.

Pairing Flood and Festerling probably wasn't a good idea.

Putting Wheeler back with Ladd and Little has produced squat.

The amount of penalties this team takes shows how undisciplined the team is and is something certain (good) coaches will not tolerate.

Just my two cents.

Last edited by sipowicz: 11-11-2011 at 11:52 AM.
Old
11-11-2011, 11:01 AM
puck stoppa

They played with no urgency until the third period. Bounces and reffing will even out throughout the year, but a better effort would create your own luck. PK is very stagnant and it's the little things like rarely winning a draw in your own zone to start a PK or one in the off. zone to start a PP. Those little things bother me most when I watch games.

Old
11-11-2011, 11:05 AM
Sabonis

That was the sloppiest game I've ever seen. The Jets just couldn't get a handle on ANYTHING for the majority of the game.

Nobody played well.

That is all.

Old
11-11-2011, 11:09 AM
BigTuna49
#WPGWHITEOUT

vCash: 84
What I don't understand about the penalties is that this same team was tied for the 8th fewest minor penalties last year with 300, yet through 16 games this year we have the 2nd most minors with 80. That's on pace for over 400 minor penalties.

Old
11-11-2011, 11:21 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

All in all, apparently it was a good night to find out I could no longer get TSNJets on my receiver/region, so I missed the game. .. Funny now, not so much last night when my screen/channel was blank.

Thankfully the company I work for hooked me up free of charge with a new HDPVR 630. I'll activate it tonight when I get home and order my NHL CI. Sucks I missed out on the early bird pricing because Shaw fooled me into thinking I could have TSNJets only to find out last night that I cannot get it due to what region I am in and I never even should have been given the free preview. But, such if life. Can't miss my hockey so no sense in complaining.

Old
11-11-2011, 11:32 AM
sipowicz
The Original

Guerzy just how far east are you? Marathon?

Old
11-11-2011, 11:34 AM
surixon

I was at the game last night:

To me it looked like the Jets left their heads and hands on the road, they had trouble all night making and receiving passes and all in all I thought they didn't play very smart.

Sure there were a couple of missed calls and we got called on a couple of dumb ones, but we lost because we got outworked for most of the game. We arn't going to win very many games only playing 20 out of 60 minutes.

I am also questioning a couple of Noel's decisions, Stappleton on the pp even though he scored continues to be a head scratcher. I am also not a fan of Noel's decision to bench Little and replace him with Stapleton of all people in the third. I didn't even think Little was playing that bad.

And lastly Mcardle is not an NHL player, why we waived Maxwell and get him I have no idea, he was directly responsible for one goal. He also can't handle and pass the puck at this level.

Old
11-11-2011, 11:38 AM
Vapour Trails

Third Jets game I've attended, third loss. Very disappointing outing. They can't seem to use the advantage of the home crowd to any use, falling behind early in 4 of the 5home games thus far. Skating in sand, jello sticks, standing around and watching.

Refing was brutal, as per usual. Oh look, my stick just fell out of my hands!
I don't think it lost the game, like in Buffalo, but it sure weakens your faith in the integrity of the game when the refs respond to embellishment so routinely. I taped the game and watched it at home afterward and the calls had Enblom stratching his head too. It is not just Jet's fans imagination that the refs are making numerous soft calls against us, while seemingly ignoring the opposing team's infractions.

Re: Stapleton, he's on the power play because he moves the puck very well (skating and passing). No, he is not powerful nor does he have a shot, but he can QB the PP decently. Fact is, we are thin in this area of the skill department.

Last edited by Vapour Trails: 11-11-2011 at 11:52 AM.
Old
11-11-2011, 11:56 AM
sipowicz
The Original

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapour Trails View Post

Re: Stapleton, he's on the power play because he moves the puck very well (skating and passing). No, he is not powerful nor does he have a shot, but he can QB the PP decently. Fact is, we are thin in this area of the skill department.
And with Stapleton on the PP they are at about 5% at actually scoring a goal. Why not dress a 7th D-man (Postma) for this role at least he can shoot the puck. There really is no loss at having 11 forwards if the 12 includes Stapleton or McArdel.

The other problem I see is that the Jets rarely have a forward in the opposing goalies face, of all the goals scored by Florida last night they always had traffic in front of the net, don't know why a big guy like Wheeler isn't parked there on the PP.

Last edited by sipowicz: 11-11-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old
11-11-2011, 12:10 PM
sipowicz
The Original

FYI

Brett MacLean two games played for the Portland Pirates 0 goals, 0 assists

Old
11-11-2011, 12:28 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

I agree with sipowicz about Stapleton. End the damn experiment already so we could actually have a decent chance at scoring on those powerplays. The only forwards that deserve to play points on the powerplay are the Ilya Kovalchuks of this league, not the Tim Stapletons.

Old
11-11-2011, 12:30 PM
BigTuna49
#WPGWHITEOUT

vCash: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
And with Stapleton on the PP they are at about 5% at actually scoring a goal. Why not dress a 7th D-man (Postma) for this role at least he can shoot the puck. There really is no loss at having 11 forwards if the 12 includes Stapleton or McArdel.

The other problem I see is that the Jets rarely have a forward in the opposing goalies face, of all the goals scored by Florida last night they always had traffic in front of the net, don't know why a big guy like Wheeler isn't parked there on the PP.
If they want to simplify the PP then putting a D-man on the point just so we can get some big shots on net isn't a bad idea. It is kinda sad that no one in the current line-up can't be a better PP QB then Stapleton.

This team has always seemed to have problems with getting guys in front of the net.

As bad as we played last night, if some of those awful calls go our way, we have a chance to win the game. Chevy needs to find a way to get some decent forwards so we can actually have 4 legit lines. Mcardle is basically useless. At least Noel is finding use for Stapleton.

Old
11-11-2011, 12:34 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 1874
Quote:
I agree that Stapleton is a good passer especially given the room to work on the powerplay but as someone else stated, not having a second shooting option from the point makes it a lot easier for teams to take away the point shot. We are thin in the skill department in almost every area except offensive defenseman.

The game last night was disappointing but it was also the first game in a while where they haven't at least kept it close. Hopefully they can turn it around on Monday. I expect their home record to be better than it has been so far.

Old
11-11-2011, 01:31 PM
Sweech
Alles zu seiner Zeit

vCash: 5239
I actually liked Byfugliens play last night. He still did his usual routine of pinching and rushing all the time, and was caught a few times out there.

However, this game he brought the physical tools. He made the opposition pay and used his body last game. The past few games he's always reaching with the stick and not really moving. This game was different and I liked that.

Old
11-11-2011, 01:36 PM
jungles

I remain convinced that there is something up with the ice at MTSC. Every home game so far as been a sloppy affair...poor passes, bouncing pucks. When compared to the road games, I can't see it being a coincidence.

I don't know. A reach probably...

Old
11-11-2011, 01:45 PM
Damascus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungles View Post
I remain convinced that there is something up with the ice at MTSC. Every home game so far as been a sloppy affair...poor passes, bouncing pucks. When compared to the road games, I can't see it being a coincidence.

I don't know. A reach probably...
Pressure from the fans might have something to do with it. I imagine it is a lot easier playing in front of a 70% full, quiet arena then a sell-out crowd expressing there expectations. I believe Ladd said, that the team was sort of happy to go on the road for 2 weeks, to not have to deal with the constant pressure in Winnipeg for abit.

Old
11-11-2011, 01:46 PM
Waldo

We had just completed a 7 game roadtrip that was very successfull (could have been great) and fell flat 1st game back at home. Interestingly enough, we are now 28th in the NHL. We play the Jackets on the road again Monday, a team that is sucking badly and in last place. A bad game there and we are in the hunt for the 1st overall pick. So, as good as we have been playing, we really need to put some wins together to remain in the playoff hunt.

We come home to play the Bolts (with their now infamous 1-3-1 trap), the Caps, and the Flyers. We could easily be out of the playoffs if we get swept. It would be great to come out of the next 4 with 3 wins but I'm not sure how probable that may be. We could play really well and still lose to those teams. I'd prefer winning but I wouldn't be hurt if we stayed in the Yakupov race either.

Old
11-11-2011, 02:36 PM
Reed Solomon
GO ✈'s GO

Quote:
Third Jets game I've attended, third loss.
How odd, they've won every game I've attended. Hmm.

Maybe you should give me your tickets.. for the good of the team

Closed Thread