HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canadiens win in the desert - beats PHX 3-2 OT

Old
11-11-2011, 11:29 AM
MathMan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I'm surprised they didn't give him one, kind of stingy those score keepers in Phoenix
Amusingly, this was the subject of a post on Arctic Ice Hockey and the stingiest rink the league is pretty much Montreal. It doesn't make enough difference to matter much, but I thought it was funny.

I think Eller didn't get an assist because the Yotes players got control of the puck and tried to clear, which Gorges intercepted.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 11:42 AM
Lshap

Following up on my earlier post about our goal that was whistled down by the refs because they lost sight of the puck, this same mistake happened a few games back (forgot which one) -- puck goes through the goalie into the nets, but the ref assumes the goalie has possession and blows the whistle. Perfectly legit goal disallowed.

So now I'm wondering why these crucial mistakes keep going against us, to the point where at least two have directly cost us the game:

1) The last game against the Leafs where the refs DIDN'T stop the play after the puck hit the mesh, which resulted in their goal.

2) Ranger game where we were given two penalties on a single infraction, resulting in a 5-on-3 Rangers goal.

Yes, yes, yes, I know -- bad calls happen, it all evens out, yadda yadda yadda. But when was the last time a bad call gave us two points, instead of taking them away? There's no definable answer to this question and I don't believe in conspiracies; it just plain pīsses me off!

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 11:42 AM
sampollock

what a lack luster game, sigh

the habs have the speed but don't use it,

time for a shake up, this team needs size, cole and patches can't be the only two guys on the 1st two lines that are strong,

get this team bigger, and tougher on the wing

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 11:52 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampollock View Post

time for a shake up, this team needs size, cole and patches can't be the only two guys on the 1st two lines that are strong,

The Habs don't have to give a show on the road. They just have to play well enough to win

If you put AK on the first two lines, you have 3 big wingers suddenly on the top -6

Just blame Gainey for his Smurfs shopping spree two summers ago.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 12:05 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
The Habs don't have to give a show on the road. They just have to play well enough to win

If you put AK on the first two lines, you have 3 big wingers suddenly on the top -6

I realize we're off topic, but that 'smurf shopping spree' got us further than we'd come since '93. Aside from our impressive '08 regular season, our pre-smurf teams gave us very little to brag about.

Old
11-11-2011, 12:14 PM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sampollock View Post

I missed the game last night. How much did we lose by?

Judging by your post here, looks like the Habs really got handled.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 12:38 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post

So you think we'd do better with a team of Antropovs Ponikarovskys Penners and Kotaliks over Gio Cammy Plekanec and Gomez?

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 01:09 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Woah its sad to see all the Desharnais ''hate'' around here. Sure he's not the perfect 2nd line option but I think he's done a fine job in the circumstances. He's not worse than Gomez, who is slightly stronger (still not strong enough) and faster (granted) but so much more predictable and a master at breaking up our own plays. Desharnais at least puts points on the score sheet (only 3 points from Pacioretty, 1 from AK and more points than Cammalleri) and its been eons since Gomez could do that..

Even if it will help the team to have him back (if only because we can't have too many top9 players) I don't miss Gomez at all.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 01:22 PM
sheed36

I didn't watch much of last nights game but after checking the stats on nhl.com I see that Cole was 5th amongst forwards in TOI.. Pacioretty, Gionta, DD and Moen all played more than him..

I'm sorry but Cole needs to be on the ice more than DD and Moen especially when the Habs were missing Cammy and AK for the game..

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 01:31 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
I didn't watch much of last nights game but after checking the stats on nhl.com I see that Cole was 5th amongst forwards in TOI.. Pacioretty, Gionta, DD and Moen all played more than him..

I'm sorry but Cole needs to be on the ice more than DD and Moen especially when the Habs were missing Cammy and AK for the game..
Plekanec probably missed a few shifts after that semi injury. Its certain Desharnais played more in his stead.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 01:37 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Plekanec probably missed a few shifts after that semi injury. Its certain Desharnais played more in his stead.
Yeah I thought of that after I posted.. Cole still needs to be playing more though.. The guy as been bringing it for a while now..

Also why are the Habs even dressing Blunden? The guy played less that 2 minutes again last night.. There must be someone out there that the Habs can pick up that can contribute some minutes on the 4th line.

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 02:34 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagielski41 View Post
Is it just me or the game was really boring?! I Fell asleep so many times, i even missed the last 5mins+OT and im not even tired. Good thing is I recorded the game so I still got to watch Gorges scored the gwg!

Nice win though!
No it wasn't just you...

most boring game of the year by far, imo.

Hockey is dead in Arizona.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 02:39 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
Gionta, who played through an injury over the first three weeks of the season, has three goals and three assists in the last six games.

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...#ixzz1dNsHLeSZ
Gionta is a warrior, and tireless worker, just like koivu was.... the obvious difference is that koivu was a playmaker while gio is a finisher.

Gio has 61 regular season goals in 158 regular season games as hab... depsite playing with gomez for most of his time here

To put things in perspective, Cammalleri has .336 GPG in the regular season while Gio has .386 GPG

Yes, Cammy has 16 playoff goal as a hab (13 coming in the first year) but gio isnt too far behind with 12 of his own.

I just dont think Gionta gets enough credit. I dont know if it has anything to do with the captaincy and the set of lofty expectations that comes along with it, but it seems to me that gionta takes alot more flack around here than cammy ever does.

Last edited by Hackett: 11-11-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 02:48 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
Yeah I thought of that after I posted.. Cole still needs to be playing more though.. The guy as been bringing it for a while now..

Also why are the Habs even dressing Blunden? The guy played less that 2 minutes again last night.. There must be someone out there that the Habs can pick up that can contribute some minutes on the 4th line.
I don't think it's a knock on Cole last night as much as it's that Gio's line was really firing on all cylinders. They were the best line out there and suprisingly enough Moen included. Gionta stepped up like a true captain last night as well.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 03:03 PM
le_sean

Desharnais is a nice story but I think his actual future outlook is to become a star in Europe. He's not made for the NHL.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 03:24 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
Gionta is a warrior, and tireless worker, just like koivu was.... the obvious difference is that koivu was a playmaker while gio is a finisher.

Gio has 61 regular season goals in 158 regular season games as hab... depsite playing with gomez for most of his time here

To put things in perspective, Cammalleri has .336 GPG in the regular season while Gio has .386 GPG

Yes, Cammy has 16 playoff goal as a hab (13 coming in the first year) but gio isnt too far behind with 12 of his own.

I just dont think Gionta gets enough credit. I dont know if it has anything to do with the captaincy and the set of lofty expectations that comes along with it, but it seems to me that gionta takes alot more flack around here than cammy ever does.
I don't think many people question Gionta's value. But since he's lumped together with our 'star' players like PK, Cammy and Pacioretty, he suffers from the same backlash if there's a perception he's not producing.

But your numbers make a good case in his defense.

Old
11-11-2011, 03:29 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
So you think we'd do better with a team of Antropovs Ponikarovskys Penners and Kotaliks over Gio Cammy Plekanec and Gomez?
Why bother answering you if you got all the answers ?

Old
11-11-2011, 03:30 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Desharnais is a nice story but I think his actual future outlook is to become a star in Europe. He's not made for the NHL.
Desharnais is just missing the explosive first step to be a very good hockey player. He is fast once he's hit a couple of strides, but his first step is awful and really affects his play, he gets caught up with too easily and that is not good for a guy his size because once he's caught up with he's easy to neutralize.

Gionta and St.Louis are successful because they have explosive speed, they always with short battles to loose pucks because they get there first. Desharnais barely gets to loose pucks first and it really hurts his game.

I still think he's a good top 9 guy though.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 03:33 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Desharnais is just missing the explosive first step to be a very good hockey player. He is fast once he's hit a couple of strides, but his first step is awful and really affects his play, he gets caught up with too easily and that is not good for a guy his size because once he's caught up with he's easy to neutralize.

Gionta and St.Louis are successful because they have explosive speed, they always with short battles to loose pucks because they get there first. Desharnais barely gets to loose pucks first and it really hurts his game.

I still think he's a good top 9 guy though.
He's missing strength too. I could probably push him down with one arm. Guys like Gionta and St. Louis are built and aren't easily knocked off the puck.

I just don't see long term NHL potential in Desharnais.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 03:34 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
He's missing strength too. I could probably push him down with one arm. Guys like Gionta and St. Louis are built and aren't easily knocked off the puck.

I just don't see long term NHL potential in Desharnais.

Just watch him. He's gonna do very well with another NHL team.

Old
11-11-2011, 03:36 PM
guest1467

Hahaha, it almost seems like DD shot everyone's dog last night.

I missed the game last night, but he has been good this season. Not sure what he did last night to make everyone turn so sour.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 04:10 PM
Owen Wilson

Send a message via AIM to Owen Wilson Send a message via MSN to Owen Wilson
My take on Desharnais is that he's a good player, he's not a 3rd line player and he's in your Top 6...you're not a top team

Owen Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 04:27 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wilson View Post
My take on Desharnais is that he's a good player, he's not a 3rd line player and he's in your Top 6...you're not a top team
If the habs have a full lineup, I think they have the talent to roll three offensive lines. In that case I think you can slide desharnais into the 3rd forward line and also use him in PP situations. I think that's the ideal role for desharnais in the nhl.... I dont think he has the elusive speed that a guy his size requires to be a full time top 6 player.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 04:34 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wilson View Post
That's exactly what the Habs are for the moment.

But what's the point blaming and bashing DD on this board, a guy making about 600k with half a season of experience at NHL level.

Blame Gauthier and Martin. the first for not acquiring top-two centers and the second to overplay DD because he has no other option.

Old
11-11-2011, 04:51 PM
la25ecoupe

Is Pleky ok?

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote