HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Game #16 : Kings vs. Vancouver, 11/10/11 - Loss POST GAME THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
11-11-2011, 03:56 PM
Martyros

vCash: 500
We still need that replacement for Simmonds.

Martyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 03:57 PM
Kingsfan1

Loktionov will be getting about 14 minutes a night on the 3rd line I don't see how that's useless

Richardson- Loktionov-Stoll

Kingsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 03:59 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Deitell View Post
DL makes roster decisions.

Couturier is playing mostly bottom six minutes and on the PK because he can. Loktionov can't, he's useless in that role.
I don't agree. He would be fine on the 3rd line centering Stoll on his RW and Clifford or Richardson on his LW.

The Richards and Kopitar lines are playing against the other teams' top lines anyway, so might as well look for some added offense from the 3rd line.

BTW folks, Drew Doughty -

not the sharpest knife in the drawer, or

dumb as a box of rocks

I don't think there can be a 3rd choice until he proves he is smarter than what he showed last night.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 04:02 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
I still find it amusing that you guys are confusing the lack of offense with the lack of goals, they are two distinctly different things.

You can have a very offensive game and score 2 goals, it's rare, but you can also score 5 goals and be very poor offensively.

It's a difference between getting the chances, which the Kings are getting, and FINISHING the chances, which they are not.

Lotkionov will not change that people.
He would on the 3rd line. I don't think they are generating many chances.

I like Penner's play more recently on Richards' line. He needs to keep shooting the low, hard wristers from the top of the circle and the high slot. Good things will happen.

Old
11-11-2011, 04:04 PM
lafan

This is about Penner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsfan1 View Post
Loktionov will be getting about 14 minutes a night on the 3rd line I don't see how that's useless

Richardson- Loktionov-Stoll
go back to page 39 then page 2 under How did Penner look last night I said Penner didnt look like a 4.3 million dollar player and never will , then after getting slambed for saying this we said we would look at it again at mid season my opinion hasnt changed has yours.

lafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 04:05 PM
SMoneyMonkey

What's with the Doughty hate? JJ had two horrible giveaways, one which Doughty bailed him out of. He was also part of both goals. He was our best defenseman, besides one stupid penalty.

SMoneyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 04:14 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMoneyMonkey View Post
What's with the Doughty hate? JJ had two horrible giveaways, one which Doughty bailed him out of. He was also part of both goals. He was our best defenseman, besides one stupid penalty.
A REALLY stupid penalty. How many times did he think he was going to be allowed to chosscheck and punch Kessler in the back of the head before it was called?

Old
11-11-2011, 04:17 PM
Bandit

Quote:
besides one stupid penalty.
That lead directly to a goal, in a game which the Kings lost by 1. Doughty's an idiot, even more so because he drew the ref's attention to him just before he hit Kessler for the 5th time.

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 04:19 PM
SMoneyMonkey

So what? It was a stupid penalty, who knows what he was thinking. Doesn't change the fact he was one of the best for the rest of the game and by far the best D.

Old
11-11-2011, 04:20 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Doughty has a penchant for taking stupid penalties, going back to last season. Not sure when he developed this stupidity, but he's been rather irresponsible since I was watched him in pre-season games last season. I sense a bit of entitlement from him.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 04:21 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
So what? It was a stupid penalty, who knows what he was thinking. Doesn't change the fact he was one of the best for the rest of the game and by far the best D.
Which doesn't change the fact that his stupid penalty put the Kings 2 men down for a full two minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Doughty has a penchant for taking stupid penalties, going back to last season. Not sure when he developed this stupidity, but he's been rather irresponsible since I was watched him in pre-season games last season. I sense a bit of entitlement from him.
DING! DING! We have a winner! Doughty thinks he is playing like a Norris-calibre defenseman when his actual play is far from it.

Old
11-11-2011, 04:27 PM
SMoneyMonkey

I doubt that's it. He's just getting frustrated. He needs to work on his penchant for stupid penalties, I agree. He's still our most talented player and had a good 59 minutes.

Old
11-11-2011, 04:34 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
I doubt that's it. He's just getting frustrated. He needs to work on his penchant for stupid penalties, I agree. He's still our most talented player and had a good 59 minutes.
He might be the most talented, but he is a far cry from being the best. See Kopitar, Anze.

Old
11-11-2011, 04:40 PM
Duc620

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
... but if TM decided to send him down after he was one of the best forwards in the preseason, that should give you a little insight on TM's competence.
I'll bet that decision was made in the executive suite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
... this coaching staff is laughable, the thought that they would need to bring in lotki to fix the offense just shows how terrible our coaching staff is.
We really can't rely on a rookie to resolve team play issues. That's just the fastest way to screw up a prospect.

Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 04:45 PM
Tadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyros View Post
We still need that replacement for Simmonds.
We need Frolov. He's the guy that made that 3rd line click. We were all to focused on him not being as good as he could have been and forgot that a unfocused Frolov made the players around him better. Hell, 20 goals from a 3rd liner sounds good to me these days!

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 04:46 PM
Asheru

Quote:
Willie Mitchell hit Couture in the back of the head and put them down two men, but it's not as big of a deal when there's no contract selfishness meme to push there.

Asheru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 04:54 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Using some common sense, was it really necessary for Doughty to continuously cross check Kesler? He's taking himself out of the play doing that, and of course the risk of putting your team down for a full two minutes on a 5 minute kill is selfish. Just look at what Terry Murray says about the penalty:
Quote:
"The other part of it is, you can’t take that second penalty. You get that five-minute major, and you cannot take a second penalty. It is what it is. It’s a cross-check penalty. You can’t have that. You’ve got to play around that guy. He’s a tripod in front of the net, screening the goalie. Play around him.”

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 05:06 PM
SMoneyMonkey

Why do people keep thinking I'm defending the penalty. I'm just saying he more than made up for out with his play for the rest of the game. People here seem to be rooting against him, though. Like they want to see him fail.

Old
11-11-2011, 05:08 PM
Brad Doty
System Goalie

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheru View Post
Willie Mitchell hit Couture in the back of the head and put them down two men, but it's not as big of a deal when there's no contract selfishness meme to push there.
Quick, count the number of selfish, me-first plays Willie Mitchell has made since becoming a King.

...you should be done already, and you could even argue that was accidental, as his hand rode up.

Doughty has shown a primadonna-ish attitude for a while, and his discipline has been awful. Most of it is the desire to be 'the guy' and a burning will to win, but he needs a coach to hold him somewhat accountable. He was actively TRYING to take a penalty, it seems.

I almost wonder if he would be more effective if he were asked to focus on D-first, much like he did with Canada.

Edit: I agree with you that he had a great rest of the game.

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 05:18 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheru View Post
Yeah, bad penalty. Did he hit Couture 4 or 5 times before it was finally called?

How often does Mitchell take a "bad" penalty? How often does Doughty?

Old
11-11-2011, 05:20 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Using some common sense, was it really necessary for Doughty to continuously cross check Kesler? He's taking himself out of the play doing that, and of course the risk of putting your team down for a full two minutes on a 5 minute kill is selfish. Just look at what Terry Murray says about the penalty:
Quote:
"The other part of it is, you can’t take that second penalty. You get that five-minute major, and you cannot take a second penalty. It is what it is. It’s a cross-check penalty. You can’t have that. You’ve got to play around that guy. He’s a tripod in front of the net, screening the goalie. Play around him.”
Gee Terry, then why didn't you bench his ass for the rest of the 1st period and maybe part of the 2nd?

Quote:
Why do people keep thinking I'm defending the penalty. I'm just saying he more than made up for out with his play for the rest of the game. People here seem to be rooting against him, though. Like they want to see him fail.
No one wants to see Doughty fail. That's BS!

Old
11-11-2011, 05:33 PM
KingLB

Quote:
I've been arguing the same thing for weeks, its pointless....as soon as you get paid, people on these boards turn on you. People should go back and read the threads/posts about Kopi after he got his new deal....how much better Statsny is and what not. Also how "Doughty cost the Kings the game"...and yet nothing about the 5 MIN MAJOR.

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 05:33 PM
SMoneyMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Gee Terry, then why didn't you bench his ass for the rest of the 1st period and maybe part of the 2nd?

No one wants to see Doughty fail. That's BS!
You don't bench a player like Doughty because of one play, and a good thing too, considering the game would have been downright embarrassing without him.

You sure are overplaying a bad penalty for a guy who doesn't like seeing Doughty fail...

Old
11-11-2011, 05:37 PM
bobafettish*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
I've been arguing the same thing for weeks, its pointless....as soon as you get paid, people on these boards turn on you. People should go back and read the threads/posts about Kopi after he got his new deal....how much better Statsny is and what not. Also how "Doughty cost the Kings the game"...and yet nothing about the 5 MIN MAJOR.
the 5 min major looked incidental while DD's was just straight moronic.

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 05:38 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
You don't bench a player like Doughty because of one play, and a good thing too, considering the game would have been downright embarrassing without him.

You sure are overplaying a bad penalty for a guy who doesn't like seeing Doughty fail...
As others have pointed out, it's not one play. It's not a play where he was trying to do something "special" for the team, it was just selfish.

How else do you hold a player accountable if you don't bench them when they pull a stunt like that?