HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Couturier -where do you see him fitting in

Old
11-11-2011, 03:42 AM
maplehawk
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Couturier -where do you see him fitting in

hey guys, leafs fan.

couturier - where do you see him settling in eventually. seems to be used mainly as a PKer right now with limited ES time.

with all the Cs in the system, where does he eventually fit? especially with schenn ready to take a top 6 C spot soon enough.

briere, giroux, schenn, talbot, couturier, something's gotta give right? surely couturier wont be a 4th line C for you?

maplehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 04:16 AM
Rick Deckard

Currently, if everyone is healthy, 4th line center with Talbot at wing.

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 04:23 AM
maplehawk
HFB Partner

More long term?

maplehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 04:29 AM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhammad Aulie View Post
More long term?
Behind schenn and giroux as 3rd line shutdown c when Briere is on the decline. Or moving to a wing on one of those 2s line. Honestly I think he will force them to play him in a top 6 tole. But I don't see it happening in the next 2 years. His toi will be limited this year as they don't want to burn him out. His year next year will be a typical sophomore season his year after that will show signs of shear dominance and his 4th year when he is 22 he will be entering his prime.

At least that's the hope anything that happens sooner is just cake

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 04:31 AM
dookie88

Quote:
More long term?
2nd or 3rd line center, depending on his and Schenn's development.
Out of Schenn, Couturier and Briere, the latter is the most suited for a spot on the wing.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 04:32 AM
Rick Deckard

Checking line center ... Once Briere retires/leaves Giroux and Schenn will be #1 and #2.

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 04:38 AM
Krishna

vCash: 50
He will beat datsyuk's number of selkes.

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 06:10 AM
LePalle

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
Behind schenn and giroux as 3rd line shutdown c when Briere is on the decline. Or moving to a wing on one of those 2s line. Honestly I think he will force them to play him in a top 6 tole. But I don't see it happening in the next 2 years. His toi will be limited this year as they don't want to burn him out. His year next year will be a typical sophomore season his year after that will show signs of shear dominance and his 4th year when he is 22 he will be entering his prime.

At least that's the hope anything that happens sooner is just cake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnz0rs View Post
He will beat datsyuk's number of selkes.
I agree with both of these posts.

I think he'll be on the 4th line, then 3rd line for a couple years before we feel comfortable making him a focal point on both sides of the ice. Hell, if he ever gets fast then who knows what type of offense he could put up...but the next couple years he'll get his minutes through being our best defensive forward.

LePalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 06:52 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
He won't be on the fourth line forever, that's for sure.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 06:52 AM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
2nd or 3rd line center, depending on his and Schenn's development.
Out of Schenn, Couturier and Briere, the latter is the most suited for a spot on the wing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Deckard View Post
Checking line center ... Once Briere retires/leaves Giroux and Schenn will be #1 and #2.
This is most likely correct.

However, since I am bored at work I began toying with lineups once Schenn returns and thought about a line with JvR-Couturier/Brière where Brière centers the line offensively (and takes the draws) while Couturier holds the fort defensively. This would most likely mean we would have to cut back on his pk time though. He has been pretty solid on even strenght so far though, and I wouldn't mind it too much if he was rewarded with a little more time there.

Leave the top line intact and round it out with Read-Talbot-Voracek and Nödl-Schenn-Simmonds and we can roll four lines pretty much evenly on even strenght. If Rinaldo continues to play like he has, I wouldn't be too opposed to him keeping his spot, but I don't wanna lose Nödl for nothing on waivers (and we know Shelley ain't going there).

Couturier-Talbot
Giroux-Read
Schenn-Nödl

can all be used on the pk, no need to have Talbot and Couturier play as many minutes as they've had there when/if we're fully healthy. Hopefully we will someday begin to cut back on taking so many penalties as well...

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 10:39 AM
cheesesteak

In the future we hope he will either be our 2nd, or 3rd line center. It all depends who's better out of him, and Schenn. They both have top 6 potential.

cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 10:50 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I don't think the Flyers will use a 1 - 2 - 3 line in the traditional sense that people are used to. While Couturier might be the "third" line center, I think depending on the game that's being played, his line will eventually receive the most minutes to be out on the ice. Either way, he's going to be a very important player for the team in the future and I don't think it will be out of the norm to see him average 20 to 22 minutes of ice time per game.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 11:29 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
hey guys, leafs fan.

couturier - where do you see him settling in eventually. seems to be used mainly as a PKer right now with limited ES time.

with all the Cs in the system, where does he eventually fit? especially with schenn ready to take a top 6 C spot soon enough.

briere, giroux, schenn, talbot, couturier, something's gotta give right? surely couturier wont be a 4th line C for you?
We aren't trading him - so please don't propose anything. Which is the first feeling I got when I read your post

Edit: Only for your bad-decent prospects would he be available.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 11:34 AM
orangey

Cooter as 3rd line shut down center with G and Schenn as the two scoring line centers as the long-term plan. Briere can play wing as he nears the end of his career.

orangey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 11:49 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Deckard View Post
This

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 12:19 PM
chsb

Couturier is easily the 2nd line center down the road.
Limiting to a defensive center role would be a terrible mistake and a huge loss for the Flyers.

chsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 12:45 PM
phlocky

The question from you isn't where we are with our centers right now so we'll address the not-to-distant future.

Briere will most likely be moved out to wing. He's better in the middle from a play-making standpoint but from a defensive zone center position he's still a bit of a liability and all of Giroux, Schenn and Couturier are better suited long term.

Giroux will be the #1 center on the team. We have both Schenn and Couturier who could be either a great 2nd line center or a solid shut-down center. Remember that Schenn was compared very favorably to Mike Richards so HE could just as easily end up being our shut-down center. Either way we will have Giroux, Schenn and Couturier as our top 3 centers for long term. It's unlikely we move one of them unless we get a offer for a top pairing dman AND we have drafted a center at this years draft that we believe could be a top 3 center for us allowing us to move one of Schenn or Couturier.

This organization understands the value of having a strong group of centers. For the last few years we had Briere, Carter, Richards and Giroux with one having to play wing. We traded 2 of them and replaced them with 2 more very strong centers in Schenn and Couturier.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 01:15 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
I got the feeling that you're trying to convince us that we'd be better off dealing him. I think the Flyers will keep him and just move Briere to wing as he gets older. He can be our Jordan Staal.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 01:38 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I hope the Flyers don't do something stupid with Couturier and try to make him a Keith Primeau clone. The guy has an excellent offensive game and to use him strictly as a shut down center is a waste of the other attributes he brings to the table. I have no problems with using Couturier in a two-way role, but if they Primeau him, then shame on the Flyers for wasting a wonderful talent.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 03:19 PM
chsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I hope the Flyers don't do something stupid with Couturier and try to make him a Keith Primeau clone. The guy has an excellent offensive game and to use him strictly as a shut down center is a waste of the other attributes he brings to the table. I have no problems with using Couturier in a two-way role, but if they Primeau him, then shame on the Flyers for wasting a wonderful talent.
i see that we are on the same page.

chsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 03:37 PM
Haute Couturier

Long term who knows. I doubt they will be able to afford to keep all three of Giroux, Schenn, and Couturier beyond the summer of 2014.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 03:39 PM
phillyfanatic

To me this is the wrong question. My questions is related to where Schenn goes this year and beyond. Why? Because I haven't seen him play yet. I am definitely a little nervous that he is going to be injury prone. I have many questions on Schenn.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 04:12 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
To me this is the wrong question. My questions is related to where Schenn goes this year and beyond. Why? Because I haven't seen him play yet. I am definitely a little nervous that he is going to be injury prone. I have many questions on Schenn.
Injury prone I don't think is the right way to say it. Getting hit in the foot by a slap shot that hard can break anyone's foot.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 11:55 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Injury prone I don't think is the right way to say it. Getting hit in the foot by a slap shot that hard can break anyone's foot.
Schenn put it on the line to block a Subban one-timer. It's like Carter or anyone else, you should get credit for bravery in blocking the shot, not blame for being injury prone.

Schenn is going to be a very good NHL player. How his interrupted start will affect the rest of this year is hard to say, but they consider him part of the top 12 forwards for sure, probably the top 9.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 12:07 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
I've agreed with two Larry posts in a row. This is a first for us, right?