HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Gleason to Boston

Closed Thread

Old
11-11-2011, 11:35 AM
bigbadbruins1

vCash: 500
Gleason to Boston

With Bruins lack of defensive depth, I was thinking that a player like Tim Gleason would be a great addition to the team so we don't have to rely on kampfer or bartkowski just yet.

I have no clue as to what value the Hurricanes have on him, but would something like Caron and a 2nd round pick get it done?

Old
11-11-2011, 11:57 AM
unifiedtheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbruins1 View Post
With Bruins lack of defensive depth, I was thinking that a player like Tim Gleason would be a great addition to the team so we don't have to rely on kampfer or bartkowski just yet.

I have no clue as to what value the Hurricanes have on him, but would something like Caron and a 2nd round pick get it done?
I'd like the Bruins to acquire him just so Nate can rag doll the chicken **** again.

I'm not giving up Caron (who is starting to find his game) and a pick for that turd.

Chia will roll with Kampfer or Bart for a few games (depending on the term of Ference's injury) and if Andy is out long term he'll find something, not Gleason though.

Old
11-11-2011, 12:10 PM
nycbruins*

Gleason would be the absolute best fit on this team....and could probably kick Horty's ass 6 or 7 times out of 10.

Even with Ference, I thought they needed a left-handed d-man to play with Corvo so Seids could play with Chara again. Who better than a guy who has been Corvo's partner before, is tough and is solid at almost all aspects of the game? He's played in 500 NHL games, tough to judge him based on 1 performance (during which he may have won the game for his restraint)

Carolina fans, let us know. We can get a good conversation going.

Old
11-11-2011, 12:48 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
Biggest thing that Carolina needs, and an absolute must in any trade involving Gleason, is that the Canes flat out has to be a top 6 forward coming back. Down the road, Caron is definitely that, but at the moment? I'm not sure he'd fit the bill. The Canes aren't in total rebuild mode (yet) so a long term move like this, while value wise is about right, is almost assuredly the wrong direction for the team to be going. Gleason's also certainly not going to bring back a Krejci or Bergeron type in a trade (#2 center is the biggest weakness, but with Jussi's versatility any top 6 forward would do).

Now if we're out of it by the deadline and Boston's still looking for that guy that can plug in nicely for that 2nd pairing defensive presence slot, then something like this could be revisited with likely a completely different answer.

Old
11-11-2011, 01:35 PM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Biggest thing that Carolina needs, and an absolute must in any trade involving Gleason, is that the Canes flat out has to be a top 6 forward coming back. Down the road, Caron is definitely that, but at the moment? I'm not sure he'd fit the bill. The Canes aren't in total rebuild mode (yet) so a long term move like this, while value wise is about right, is almost assuredly the wrong direction for the team to be going. Gleason's also certainly not going to bring back a Krejci or Bergeron type in a trade (#2 center is the biggest weakness, but with Jussi's versatility any top 6 forward would do).

Now if we're out of it by the deadline and Boston's still looking for that guy that can plug in nicely for that 2nd pairing defensive presence slot, then something like this could be revisited with likely a completely different answer.
Ahhhh ofcourse, a top-6 forward in return is the new fad around here these days. You realize OP asked for Gleason, not Pitkanen, Staal or Skinner? Top-6 forward for Gleason??

Old
11-11-2011, 01:38 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
Ahhhh ofcourse, a top-6 forward in return is the new fad around here these days. You realize OP asked for Gleason, not Pitkanen, Staal or Skinner? Top-6 forward for Gleason??
A top-6 forward for a top-4 defenseman really doesn't seem all that laughable...

Old
11-11-2011, 01:57 PM
FartyPantz*

We (Boston) don't need a top 4 dman, we need a 6 or 7th one (if Ference is out for awhile). Kampfer can fill in fine if it's only a couple games. I see Caron as a career 3rd liner and our 2nd rounder as a 50+ pick. I don't think that will get us a top 4 dman anyways, unless its a deadline rental.

Old
11-11-2011, 02:01 PM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
A top-6 forward for a top-4 defenseman really doesn't seem all that laughable...
Chara
Seidenberg
Boychuk
Corvo

He wouldn't be top-4 in Boston. Gleason is a solid dman, but he's a dime-a-dozen dman also & he will never net anywhere close to a top-6 forward. Unless you're referring to the Marco Sturms' of the world? Then by all means Gleason will net a top-6

Old
11-11-2011, 02:03 PM
Twist and Shout

Quote:
Chara
Seidenberg
Boychuk
Corvo

He wouldn't be top-4 in Boston. Gleason is a solid dman, but he's a dime-a-dozen dman also & he will never net anywhere close to a top-6 forward. Unless you're referring to the Marco Sturms' of the world? Then by all means Gleason will net a top-6
Gleason is better than everyone on that list other than Chara.

Old
11-11-2011, 02:04 PM
impeach estaalo
RIPronrefo nevar4get

vCash: 50
Quote:
Chara
Seidenberg
Boychuk
Corvo

He wouldn't be top-4 in Boston.
Does not compute.

Old
11-11-2011, 02:06 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Even if that was true (which I doubt...), that really does not matter to Carolina. He is a top-4 defenseman for them, and would be for quite a few teams around the league. How much of an addition he would be to another team really has no considerable impact on Carolina's asking price.

And I think you're underrating him.

Old
11-11-2011, 02:12 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Quote:
Originally Posted by unifiedtheory View Post
I'd like the Bruins to acquire him just so Nate can rag doll the chicken **** again.

I think you need to youtube some fights between Gleason and Horton. Gleason has dropped them with him several times when he was in Florida and handled him every single time.

He's certainly not a chicken****.

Old
11-11-2011, 02:15 PM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subway Schenn View Post

No chance, even Corvo played ahead of him last season if im not mistaken

Old
11-11-2011, 02:15 PM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
Even if that was true (which I doubt...), that really does not matter to Carolina. He is a top-4 defenseman for them, and would be for quite a few teams around the league. How much of an addition he would be to another team really has no considerable impact on Carolina's asking price.

And I think you're underrating him.
Tyler Bozak is a top-6 forward in Toronto, so whats your point?

Old
11-11-2011, 02:18 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
Quote:
Chara
Seidenberg
Boychuk
Corvo

Yeah, we've had these two, and Corvo as recently as this calendar year. There's no way that Corvo's a better defenseman then Gleason when we prettymuch had to stick Gleason with him in order to not get torched when he was on the ice. And Seidenberg is a tossup that could go either way depending on team needs. Seids: better skating and offense. Gleason: better defense and far more physical.

Old
11-11-2011, 02:21 PM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

I always thought something around McQuaid for Gleason would make sense.

McQuaid is like a younger, cheaper, signed version of Gleason, and Quaider plays the right side which would be a good fit with either Pitkanen or Kaberle (who was his partner when he was in Boston).

11-11-2011, 02:23 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:

No chance, even Corvo played ahead of him last season if im not mistaken
Gleason is without a doubt better than Corvo for sure. I would say he is on par with Seidenberg and better than Boychuk. The guy is a rock defensively.

There's a reason he made the US Olympic Team that won Silver in Vancouver.

Old
11-11-2011, 02:23 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Tyler Bozak is a top-6 forward in Toronto, so whats your point?
That Carolina's asking price doesn't have to correlate with Boston's particular need for the player.

From a complete outsider's perspective, asking for a top-6 forward in return really doesn't seem like a mentionable problem.

Old
11-11-2011, 02:26 PM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Chara
Seidenberg
Boychuk
Corvo

Gleason is better than Boychuk and Corvo.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Yeah, we've had these two, and Corvo as recently as this calendar year. There's no way that Corvo's a better defenseman then Gleason when we prettymuch had to stick Gleason with him in order to not get torched when he was on the ice. And Seidenberg is a tossup that could go either way depending on team needs. Seids: better skating and offense. Gleason: better defense and far more physical.
I think Seidenberg has really blossomed in Boston. There have been long stretches where he's been better than Chara. Seriously. He even logged more minutes than Z in the playoffs last year.

Old
11-11-2011, 02:30 PM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
Gleason is better than Boychuk and Corvo.

I think Seidenberg has really blossomed in Boston. There have been long stretches where he's been better than Chara. Seriously. He even logged more minutes than Z in the playoffs last year.

If you mean playing with Chara makes seidenberg seem less a liability then in reality - yes I agree.

Old
11-11-2011, 02:36 PM
BruinsNeedaRussian

vCash: 1340
Quote:
+Seidenberg. Boychuk/Corvo are laughable though.

Old
11-11-2011, 02:40 PM
The Scarecrow
2011 Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
If you mean playing with Chara makes seidenberg seem less a liability then in reality - yes I agree.
Chara is a beast! How else could he make Seidenberg look great while not playing on the same pair regularly?

Old
11-11-2011, 02:41 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

Quote:
Fine then. Pitkanen for Seguin.

Old
11-11-2011, 02:45 PM
KingsFan24*

Nathan Horton for Brad Stuart?

Helps Detroits Off and also helps Bostons lack of Depth on D?

Old
11-11-2011, 02:47 PM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Scarecrow View Post
Chara is a beast! How else could he make Seidenberg look great while not playing on the same pair regularly?
Tim Thomas. Look at the oilers when Khabi is in net their defence looks solid.
If seidenberg looks solid in front of Tuuka I'll reconsider my position.

Closed Thread