HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Marc Staal out with a concussion (1/2: Cleared to Play)

Old
12-21-2011, 05:05 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
When the last time the Rangers or really any NHL team had a player have a rehab stint in the AHL? That's a baseball move. They send players(both pitchers and position players)to the minors for rehab stints.
Kessel after his cancerous testicle was removed? I know they assigned him to the AHL for conditioning purposes because he had not skated.... Don't know if that's actually the last time it has happened but that's the last incident that I know of, lol...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 05:20 PM
Victory*
We're Still In It

Last year Jordan Staal's first game of the season was the Winter Classic. Would be awesome if Marc could do the same. They've already taken enough precaution in my opinion. The fact that he finished the year last year shows me that his concussion wasn't THAT bad, because if it was there would be no way they would let him play.

Victory* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 05:53 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadude View Post
Last year Jordan Staal's first game of the season was the Winter Classic. Would be awesome if Marc could do the same. They've already taken enough precaution in my opinion. The fact that he finished the year last year shows me that his concussion wasn't THAT bad, because if it was there would be no way they would let him play.
The fact that he had symptoms 6+ months after the hit tells me you are wrong.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 08:39 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
you obviously dont know about concussions

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 10:09 PM
broadwayblue

Ditto. I really hope Staal isn't anywhere near the ice during the WC. Even if he's not experiencing any post concussion symptoms at this point there's no way he's back in game shape by then.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 11:22 PM
KingHenrik311

Quote:
I'm in my 4th yr of med school. I will tell you.. his concussion was BAD. LOL. Not as bad as Pronger's but who knows.

KingHenrik311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:56 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Sent: Dec 22, 2011 11:49a

Ranger Rants on #NYR morning skate, Biron on his playing schedule http://t.co/rcG6omDM

sent via HootSuite
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/AGrossRecord/stat...94370982756352

Staal skated in the optional skate and a in a conditioning skate with some of the other players.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:03 AM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
You know he is gunning for a Winter Classic return. If he can handle it, that would be huge considering the loss of Sauer and Eminger

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:14 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Staal should avoid the Winter Classic. The ice is usually choppy. The Rangers have plenty of other games next month. No reason to rush back for an outdoor game.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 02:37 PM
Jackpot
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Staal should avoid the Winter Classic. The ice is usually choppy. The Rangers have plenty of other games next month. No reason to rush back for an outdoor game.
I agree to an extent, at the same time I think you're letting "Your" feelings persuade you. Put yourself in his shoes, is that a game you'd want to miss if you had a chance of being cleared to play in? It's only "THE GAME" of the year in the NHL, one against a division rival, one you'd want to be out there battling in with the guy's you sleep, bleed, eat and almost live with for 6 months. I think he REALLY wants to be out there if he's cleared....

Jackpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 02:41 PM
E Nixson
Powered by Intel

Quote:
Agreed.

In the bigger picture, it is still just another game, worth the same two points as any other game. The health of your number 1 dman is more important than dressing him because he would feel left out if he wasn't.

E Nixson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 03:03 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackpot View Post
I agree to an extent, at the same time I think you're letting "Your" feelings persuade you. Put yourself in his shoes, is that a game you'd want to miss if you had a chance of being cleared to play in? It's only "THE GAME" of the year in the NHL, one against a division rival, one you'd want to be out there battling in with the guy's you sleep, bleed, eat and almost live with for 6 months. I think he REALLY wants to be out there if he's cleared....
this isn't a ****ing movie, ok? This isn't mighty ducks or ****ing Youngblood. This is real life. His health is of the utmost importance, for the immediate and for the future. You don't risk that for one game that means as much as the one before it or the one after it. This isn't the playoffs.

Last edited by Majik1987: 12-22-2011 at 04:33 PM. Reason: flaming
DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 03:09 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
this isn't a ****ing movie, ok? This isn't mighty ducks or ****ing Youngblood. This is real life. His health is of the utmost importance, for the immediate and for the future. You don't risk that for one game that means as much as the one before it or the one after it. This isn't the playoffs.
It's not just a game, though.

A lot of us think it is, me included, but do you not think a lot of players think it's really great to play in that atmosphere?

Last edited by Majik1987: 12-22-2011 at 04:33 PM. Reason: qe
BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 03:10 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Even if Staal is cleared for contact next week, that gives him less than a week to be ready to play in a real game--one that will be very emotional and intense. I just don't see it happening. And if it does, I really hope the organization knows what it's doing, because it really doesn't make sense to me to take the risk so quickly. Yes, it's an important game, but it is one game and there are many more that will be just as important in the long run to the playoffs.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 03:11 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
It's not just a game, though.

A lot of us think it is, me included, but do you not think a lot of players think it's really great to play in that atmosphere?
I'm sure it's a great experience, but at the end of the day it's 2 points and his health on the line. 1 is infinitely more significant than the other. They aren't playing game 7 of the cup finals out there, and we'll have our own WC down the line anyways.

Old
12-22-2011, 03:14 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
I'm sure it's a great experience, but at the end of the day it's 2 points and his health on the line. 1 is infinitely more significant than the other. They aren't playing game 7 of the cup finals out there, and we'll have our own WC down the line anyways.
I agree, but if he's feeling healthy and he's cleared for contact, I wouldn't fault him if he wanted to play.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 03:16 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
When the last time the Rangers or really any NHL team had a player have a rehab stint in the AHL? That's a baseball move. They send players(both pitchers and position players)to the minors for rehab stints.
The Rangers sent Callahan down for a conditioning assignment in Jan 2008 after he had come back from a knee injury and was struggling to find his game.

And I think Avery was on a conditioning assignment after we picked him up off re-entry waivers.

Those are the only two I can think of though, and neither was at Staal's level at the time.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 03:17 PM
alkurtz

This won't be his decision, Tort's decision, or Sather's decision.

This will be a decision totally driven by the medical staff. If they feel he can play he will. If they think he needs more time....so be it.

I hope they error on the side of caution. The whole Crosby situation is scary and maybe has influenced doctors to build even more time into the rehab process.

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 03:21 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I agree, but if he's feeling healthy and he's cleared for contact, I wouldn't fault him if he wanted to play.
Fault him? Of course not. I'm sure if they let him he would have been back playing already. But his health is priority number 1, not 2 points in December. The rangers will take every precaution and then some when it comes to one of their most important players.

Old
12-22-2011, 03:29 PM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkurtz View Post
This won't be his decision, Tort's decision, or Sather's decision.

This will be a decision totally driven by the medical staff. If they feel he can play he will. If they think he needs more time....so be it.

I hope they error on the side of caution. The whole Crosby situation is scary and maybe has influenced doctors to build even more time into the rehab process.
I agree with this and I think players who have been suffering from concussion related symptoms for longer than six months should be eased back into the game. In other words, play a game, take a game off. Give the player some time to recover instead of playing three games in four nights or something along those lines.

It hasn't been tried before, maybe this will help the players with these issues.

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 04:23 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Smart post. He isn't coming back in a Patrick Division game. If he is that close, maybe Florida at home on January 5 or Phoenix the following week.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 04:26 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger View Post
I agree with this and I think players who have been suffering from concussion related symptoms for longer than six months should be eased back into the game. In other words, play a game, take a game off. Give the player some time to recover instead of playing three games in four nights or something along those lines.

It hasn't been tried before, maybe this will help the players with these issues.
The only issue with this is that no matter what they say, everyone will flip out if Staal misses a game for any reason. You don't let him play until he is good to go for every game.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 04:29 PM
mullichicken25

in regards to Staal rushing back to play in the WC, bear in mind that the rangers are guaranteed to be in another winter classic

so in all likelyhood, this is probably not his only chance to partake in the event

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 03:43 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

Just thought I'd post Loffen's old video to remind us what it was like to watch Marc play.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 04:03 AM
Faxius

vCash: 2249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post

Just thought I'd post Loffen's old video to remind us what it was like to watch Marc play.
Fixed it for you

Faxius is offline   Reply With Quote