HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Current Detroit Red Wings- Average at best ?

Closed Thread

Old
12-01-2011, 01:41 PM
wingnutjeff

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Whale View Post
WOW now I can see why some peeps have left this site... One person blasts the team for the good to CREATE CONVO AND DEBATE a team that was in a major slump and yes playing below average, only for the OP poster (me) to realize this team is much better than when it was written and that some players actually got their heads out of their @$$...

Enjoy
Well you have created conversation and debate, you just don't seem to like the direction that it has gone. The team may have been playing average but they certainly are not an average team. Great teams can go into slumps and crappy teams can go on a hot streak. However I will debate that looking at a team 22 games into a season will give you a better feel for who they are over judging them 10 or 11 games into a season.

Sure the wings could use a little more to be a dominant force, but what team wouldn't want to add one or two more star players?

Old
12-01-2011, 02:04 PM
chances14

Quote:
Reg season means nothing when you can make the playoffs consistently...The Wings AT THE TIME OF THE OP, playing like that wouldnt make the playoffs nor get out of the first round...

Geeze some of you look into this way to much... when the red wings consistently have the best numbers in the nhl on year to year basis, yet sometimes get dominated in the playoffs (ie past 2 years) I hold a much higher standard to the Red Wings than majority of you! I dont need to say more to defend my point of, the Red Wings were playing like an above average team at the time of the OP...

WOW now I can see why some peeps have left this site... One person blasts the team for the good to CREATE CONVO AND DEBATE a team that was in a major slump and yes playing below average, only for the OP poster (me) to realize this team is much better than when it was written and that some players actually got their heads out of their @$$...

Enjoy
what did you expect people to say when you made this thread based off of a 6 game stretch. It's threads like this that make this site unbearable to visit at times when the wings go through a typical regular season slump.

Old
12-01-2011, 02:54 PM
HockeyinHD

Quote:
Reg season means nothing when you can make the playoffs consistently...The Wings AT THE TIME OF THE OP, playing like that wouldnt make the playoffs nor get out of the first round...
And that's a completely rational, sensible position. The only tiny problem is that at some time around 9:30am today you were also calling them average.

Quote:
Geeze some of you look into this way to much... when the red wings consistently have the best numbers in the nhl on year to year basis, yet sometimes get dominated in the playoffs (ie past 2 years) I hold a much higher standard to the Red Wings than majority of you!
Then when you said the Wings were average, you meant average compared to other Red Wings teams and not average compared to other NHL teams?

Again, that's a sensible, rational position. Unfortunately, nothing else you've said in this thread leads me to believe that's actually what you were trying to say.

Quote:
I dont need to say more to defend my point of, the Red Wings were playing like an above average team at the time of the OP...

Enjoy
Alrighty then?

Old
12-02-2011, 11:57 PM
kuick
Tatar Sauce

I think at this point, it's time for the traditional overreaction thread based on our 7 game win streak.

We can call it: "The current Detroit Red Wings - Elite team at worst?"

Old
12-03-2011, 12:02 AM
TorontoWingsFan

Our forward corps is fantastic. Perfect no, but definitely elite.

Our defence after Lids and Kronner is average. Not horrible, but not what it was say 2-3 years ago when our top 4 was amongst the best in the league.

Old
12-03-2011, 12:07 AM
Flowah

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoWingsFan View Post
Our forward corps is fantastic. Perfect no, but definitely elite.

Our defence after Lids and Kronner is average. Not horrible, but not what it was say 2-3 years ago when our top 4 was amongst the best in the league.
White is better than average imo. He's been very solid. Stuart is also better than average.

I mean, what was our D 2-3 years ago? It was Lid/Kronwall/Stuart/Rafalski

White has filled in very nicely for Raffy. Kindl looks pretty decent most of the time. E has been getting better I think.

Statistically, the team is doing much better defensively than in previous years, so that's something to consider as well.

Old
12-03-2011, 12:10 AM
sarcastro

The Wings are just about the farthest thing from average this season.

They're either godawful or they're untouchable. They don't seem to have an "Average" setting.

Old
12-03-2011, 01:29 AM
DetBigWangs

Quote:
Ok bud..its apparent the Wings are playing much much better hockey than they were a month ago. Still, they need a top 6 forward and then they will better than average
The standings say they're already better than average.

Your original post was a massive overreaction to a slump and you didn't expect some mocking to go your way? How unrealistic is that?

Furthermore, you're somehow upholding outdated evidence as fact in the face of all criticism. How can we argue and discuss when you've already made up your mind despite any counter argument we throw at you? Pretty unfair.

Old
12-03-2011, 02:05 AM
Flowah

Wings are doing great right now, but I think it's pretty much a given that they are lacking in the top6 department in terms of a pure shooter. It's basically Franzen and... Franzen. Part of the reason we're doing so well is because our D is chipping in so much. In fact it's leading the league. Another reason is because Howard is a damn stud and keeping the score so low.

I'm not sure it's wise to depend so much on Howard + D for goals. I would feel much better with another shooter on the team.

Old
12-03-2011, 03:55 AM
FabricDetails

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetBigWangs View Post
The standings say they're already better than average.

Your original post was a massive overreaction to a slump and you didn't expect some mocking to go your way? How unrealistic is that?

Furthermore, you're somehow upholding outdated evidence as fact in the face of all criticism. How can we argue and discuss when you've already made up your mind despite any counter argument we throw at you? Pretty unfair.
Well I mean, come on, he's watched the Wings for the past 22 years. That's some pretty serious credentials there.

Old
12-03-2011, 03:57 AM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowah View Post
Wings are doing great right now, but I think it's pretty much a given that they are lacking in the top6 department in terms of a pure shooter. It's basically Franzen and... Franzen. Part of the reason we're doing so well is because our D is chipping in so much. In fact it's leading the league. Another reason is because Howard is a damn stud and keeping the score so low.

I'm not sure it's wise to depend so much on Howard + D for goals. I would feel much better with another shooter on the team.
Yeah I think they do get something done as far as acquiring a top 6 forward, the only question is whether it is a big-time player or more of an under the radar guy. One other factor is how Mursak looks when he returns from the IR. I don't think he'll be a top 6 guy or anything but it will complicate the rotation of forwards. The Wings are playing really well right now and the addition of a legit scoring forward could put them in solid contention come playoff time.

Old
12-03-2011, 04:20 AM
14ari13

Quote:
Given the current state of the NHL, its blatently obvious the Red Wings are no longer considered favorites, nor are they feared by anyone in this league anymore. Its reality. Sucks, but its reality. As I have watched the Red Wings play over the past 22 years from what I remember, (I am 26) the Red Wings went from being decent, to good, to excellent, to feared, to too old, and now I currently think the DRW are poised for a huge fall. Our current roster suggests it, and our past doesnt reflect how well we will do in the future. For the very very first time, almost 20 years, the Red Wings are out of the playoffs. When was the last time you saw the DRW a 9 seed in mid-november? how about a 12th seed to start November? Has NOT happened. As I sit here today, I am worried. Many of you will disagree while some may see where I am coming from. I am not here to flame our players or suggest that they all be traded (minus a few), but I am suggesting that you take a look at who we have compared to other top teams, as Red Wing fans, you should be worried...lets take a look. Ill start w our lineup for past few games and give **my** assessment of them.

Forwards.

Datsyuk- He is a top 6 forward. Slowing down , not as dominant, but clearly a player the RW need.
Cleary- Not a top 6 forward. Never scored more than 46 pts in a season, but we all consider him a top 6 forward? point in case, streaky compared to other top 6 forwards in this league. Trade him or move him to the 3rd line
Holmstrom- Not a top 6 forward anymore. Can create havoc, but is a turnover maching, and liability skating with the puck. Move down to 3rd/4th line.
Zetterberg- Same as Datsyuk, but health is a major concern. 5 pts in the first 13 games, and a minus 1..His back will hurt the Wings.
Filppula- Not even close to a top forward in this league. Belongs on 3rd line w Cleary, or let go.
Franzen- Streaky at best. Scores big goals when needed. Only seems to score more than 1 vs Colorado. Fill in the blank with him, but if he had better players around him, Franzen would be a bigger beast.
Hudler- I dont think you need an assessment. He has done enough to bury himself. Cant score on open net, go back to KHL, where puck possession mimics the TBL/Philly game the other night..
Helm Deserves more ice time than Filppula. Not given a chance to prove more as players like Cleary, Hudler and Filppula are ahead of him.
Abdelkader- See above
Miller- Average at best. Perfectly fine on the fourth line. If the Wings had better top 6 forwards, Miller wouldn't be on the Red Wings.
Emmerton- has to be here or Wings fear losing another prospect for nothing. Not a good feeling to your career as Emmerton has no clue what his future holds.
Brunnstrom- See more and more coming from him, but he is weightless on the puck and has to earn ice time. But with average players at best ahead of him, not so sure he will get a decent chance. Guy had more pts in pre-season on top line w top players then gets to ride the 4th line. Good luck scoring w Miller/Eaves and Emmerton.
Bertuzzi- Red Wings are better with him out of the lineup. Doing it Babcocks
way.
Eaves-- again, would he really be here if the Red Wings had better top 6 forwards, and paid less to guys like cleary, huds and fil? Think about that.

Forward assessment- not good enough. not deep enough. Cleary pts production is good for your 3rd liner, and that is something the Wings lack. Chicago scored all their goals last night from secondary players..ie 3rd 4th line

Defense

Lidstrom- thanks for your off-season regime. dont know what it would be like w/out you back there
White-- meh, dont know much about him yet, but hes no Raffi
Kronwall-- finally starting to prove he can become an offensive defensmen.
Stuart- whats been up with him? He is needed tho
E--not worth the money
Kindl- proving he can be a top 4 dman.
Commodore- decent, but reminds me of Bertuzzi on D

Defensive Assessment- good enough to compete at a high level in this league. Needs more support from offense.

Goalies

Howard--Send him to Boston for Rask
Conklin- 23-16 as a backup for the Wings. Better than McDonald, Pearce or McCollum

Goalie Assessment- Average at best. With average players upfront, Howard better bring his B+ to A+ game every night. Same w Conklin.

I cant believe I just wrote this, but I truly believe the Wings arent as good as some think. Being the "red wings" just doesnt cut it anymore.

Sorry Wings fans, dont hate me, its just how I see it
Very good assessments on Filppula and Howard.
Give us more, please.

Old
12-03-2011, 05:36 AM
Syckle78

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post

They're either godawful or they're untouchable. They don't seem to have an "Average" setting.
Well, if we add them together and divide by two then do we equal average?

Old
12-03-2011, 10:42 AM
Eaglepride*
#5 in Wotan we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post

Agreed this team either plays like worldbeaters "untouchable" or completely atrocious theres simple no average for this team.

Old
12-03-2011, 12:02 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
This thread's going nowhere fast. The Wings were crap for a bit, they're less crap now. They'll probably be crap again later (and then good again). At this point, though, nothing is really being added other than piling on the OP. We're done.