HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Cleaning goalie equipment

Old
11-09-2011, 02:43 PM
HabsByTheBay

vCash: 500
Cleaning goalie equipment

I've gotten into hockey again over the past couple of years and started playing again, but my skills stink. I suck. Fortunately I used to play goal, don't mind being hit with flying objects, take up a lot of space and we're short on goalies anyway so I've begun playing a bit of goal (this is all ball hockey, btw). A friend has given me a priceless set of gear that he didn't need any longer - leg pads, two blockers, a glove, a mask and some padded shorts.

The problem is a lot of this stuff has been sitting in a damp basement and while everything is sound, they're quite dirty. Since you can't just throw the shorts in the wash, how should I go about cleaning them? The leather on the blockers is quite stiff, how should I make them more flexible? How should I make my glove more flexible? What's the best way to remove some rust on the screws of my mask?

Also, he didn't give me a stick so any advice on a good, inexpensive stick would be handy.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 07:18 PM
goalie29

You can throw everything but the mask and pads in the wash, if you have a front loader. Yes, even the gloves. Unless they are seriously old school and made of real leather. Modern gear is made of synthetics that can handle water.

Another method is to use the bathtub, with a spot of laundry detergent and bleach. Swish it all around for a while, rinse thoroughly with clean water, hang to dry. I like this method, because there's room to do all the pieces at the same time.

The only way to clean the pads is to wipe with a damp cloth.

Last edited by goalie29: 11-10-2011 at 07:24 PM.
goalie29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 06:34 AM
Gino 14

If you're lucky enough to still have sunny days, take the stuff outside and use a mild solution of something like Mr. Clean and a scrub brush to get the nasty stuff off and let them bake in the sun and fresh air for as long as you can.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 12:41 PM
vapor11

I just throw my player equipment in the bathtub and give it a warm shower for a few mins..just water.. gear looks/smells brand new after

vapor11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 02:58 PM
Magic33

Mr. Clean Magic eraser does the trick. Removes most of the puck marks.

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote