Closed Thread

Old
11-11-2011, 04:25 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
2012 Draft thread

Don't worry we'll have a very high pick in this years draft and will pick up a dynamite center that will be playing for us next year

Old
11-11-2011, 05:25 PM
JabbaJabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksgo View Post
Don't worry we'll have a very high pick in this years draft and will pick up a dynamite center that will be playing for us next year
Edmonton already drafted Ryan Nugent-Hopkins...

Old
11-11-2011, 07:59 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

2012 Draft thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabbaJabba View Post
Edmonton already drafted Ryan Nugent-Hopkins...
This years draft is being compared to the 03 draft. There is perhaps two better looking centers than RNH. Were on pace to be top 3 in this years draft and can potentially snag the best center....so I'm not worried

Old
11-11-2011, 08:10 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
The '12 draft is loaded more with backend talent than forward talent near the top. If, for some reason, we do pick high in the draft, we need to draft the best player available. Just because we have Fowler doesn't mean we can afford to pass on a Murray or Dumba talent.

Old
11-11-2011, 09:17 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
The '12 draft is loaded more with backend talent than forward talent near the top. If, for some reason, we do pick high in the draft, we need to draft the best player available. Just because we have Fowler doesn't mean we can afford to pass on a Murray or Dumba talent.
Speculation of course, but if Ryan doesn't step up I'm sure we can get a decent return for him Aka a pronger type of deal. If this is the case then we should be fine on draft picks. I don't see why we should pick up another d man when our forwards aren't producing and there are centers ready to play now.

Old
11-11-2011, 09:22 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Speculation of course, but if Ryan doesn't step up I'm sure we can get a decent return for him Aka a pronger type of deal. If this is the case then we should be fine on draft picks. I don't see why we should pick up another d man when our forwards aren't producing and there are centers ready to play now.
We could also trade for a center. The best player available is the best player available. New York passed on Fowler to draft based on need. That type of decision usually comes back to bite you.

What if we draft a 2nd line center, but pass up a franchise defenseman to do it? Of course, this is hypothetical, but I'd be furious with Murray for passing on a superior player if that happened.

Old
11-11-2011, 09:34 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

2012 Draft thread

Some offhand draft comments earlier, why not have a thread about the daraft?

There are a couple of guys who I liked early, but who have now caught on as trendy risers. Forsberg and Ceci. They were two who I thought might drop to the midround (where I expect us to pick), but who could be steals.

For some odd reason I have a hard time keeping Dumba and Trouba apart. Not that they're similar in any way, but it always takes me an extra second to remember which is which.

I would kind of like us to pick up a right-handed shooting defenseman. They're pretty rare in general. 2008 had a bumper crop of RH defensemen in particular in the top round, but we ended up getting left handed Sbisa and Gardiner. Although Schultz is a righty.

Old
11-11-2011, 09:43 PM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
Some offhand draft comments earlier, why not have a thread about the daraft?

There are a couple of guys who I liked early, but who have now caught on as trendy risers. Forsberg and Ceci. They were two who I thought might drop to the midround (where I expect us to pick), but who could be steals.

For some odd reason I have a hard time keeping Dumba and Trouba apart. Not that they're similar in any way, but it always takes me an extra second to remember which is which.

I would kind of like us to pick up a right-handed shooting defenseman. They're pretty rare in general. 2008 had a bumper crop of RH defensemen in particular in the top round, but we ended up getting left handed Sbisa and Gardiner. Although Schultz is a righty.
Vatanen is also a righty.

As far as who I'd like, based on where I think We'll be picking, I've like what I've seen in the my very limited viewings of Gaunce, Colberg and Pontus Aberg. Collberg is my favorite right now.

Old
11-11-2011, 09:46 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
Vatanen is, too, isn't he...? [EDIT: Got beaten to it. ]

Should be a great year for Russians again, finally. Obviously with Yakupov, but also Galchenyuk and Grigorenko. I think it's the former that's out with a torn ACL, so he might be a guy that drops a little. But that's always hard to project, as it didn't impact Brett Connolly too much, either.

Old
11-11-2011, 09:46 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Good call. It really depends on where Anaheim picks. I'm a big believer in drafting the BPA, and this is a sexy draft for defensemen. Fowler and (2012 defenseman) could be a great one-two punch for a long time.

I know we need more offense, but I don't want to see us select a forward just for that purpose, if there is a better player on the board. We can always move assets for a specific need.

Old
11-11-2011, 09:49 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
I know we need more offense, but I don't want to see us select a forward just for that purpose, if there is a better player on the board. We can always move assets for a specific need.
Agreed. Especially since needs can change relatively quickly between the time you draft a player and he's ready to fill that role on the big club. Looking forward to finding out more about the guys expected to go in the first round.

Old
11-11-2011, 09:53 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

That... didn't work out quite the way I intended.

Old
11-11-2011, 10:04 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fever Dreams View Post
Vatanen is also a righty.

As far as who I'd like, based on where I think We'll be picking, I've like what I've seen in the my very limited viewings of Gaunce, Colberg and Pontus Aberg. Collberg is my favorite right now.
I meant righties from 2008, so Vatanen's excluded.

I wouldn't mind Aberg, if for no other reason than to get him to wear a mitre.

Old
11-11-2011, 10:46 PM
c4rcy
Power lvls over 9000

Fail For Nail!

Old
11-11-2011, 10:54 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

There's a forward in the draft who has interest in the KHL and Yakupov can also jet to KHL as well. I dont see Murray being a person to roll the dice. But back on topic with Soj post, this draft is so deep I don't see any team out of top 7-8 to get a bust in this years draft let alone people picking in top 5. This team has a bunch of holes to fill and I don't see a major trade changing the landscape for us even if we got rid of Ryan for more pieces. If we draft another d man then that player needs to be a Fowler type and CAN play now none of this develop crap that Murray likes to draft.

Old
11-11-2011, 10:54 PM
airforceones25

1st overall.. Looks good in a Ducks sweater!

<----

Old
11-11-2011, 10:56 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

#10? Not on this team.

Old
11-11-2011, 10:56 PM
airforceones25

Quote:
There's a forward in the draft who has interest in the KHL and Yakupov can also jet to KHL as well. I dont see Murray being a person to roll the dice. But back on topic with Soj post, this draft is so deep I don't see any team out of top 7-8 to get a bust in this years draft let alone people picking in top 5. This team has a bunch of holes to fill and I don't see a major trade changing the landscape for us even if we got rid of Ryan for more pieces. If we draft another d man then that player needs to be a Fowler type and CAN play now none of this develop crap that Murray likes to draft.
If Murray wouldn't draft Yakupov he shouldn't be allowed to step foot in the NHL again.

Old
11-11-2011, 10:57 PM
airforceones25

Quote:
#10? Not on this team.
Perry is overrated.

Old
11-11-2011, 11:00 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Have to admit. This draft really does have my excited.

Old
11-11-2011, 11:06 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceones25 View Post
If Murray wouldn't draft Yakupov he shouldn't be allowed to step foot in the NHL again.
I'm not saying he shouldn't, but the KHL needs to be looked at if we decide to choose a Russian. When was the last time the ducks even drafted a Russian btw? Lmao

Old
11-11-2011, 11:07 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Quote:
Have to admit. This draft really does have my excited.
Me to I can't wait. Especially if we get a high pick

Old
11-11-2011, 11:16 PM
ShadowDuck
Captain Anaheim

If by some terrible chance we getthe first pick, I would like if we traded down and got two firsts and a 3rd or whatever the going rate is.

Remember...No Russian

Old
11-11-2011, 11:19 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDuck View Post
If by some terrible chance we getthe first pick, I would like if we traded down and got two firsts and a 3rd or whatever the going rate is.

Remember...No Russian
Yakupov is considered the best player in the draft. We're talking franchise talent. Perhaps the best forward drafted since Crosby talent. You would pass up that opportunity, because he's Russian? A Russian who is already playing in North America, by the way.

Old
11-11-2011, 11:27 PM
airforceones25

Quote:
Yakupov is considered the best player in the draft. We're talking franchise talent. Perhaps the best forward drafted since Crosby talent. You would pass up that opportunity, because he's Russian? A Russian who is already playing in North America, by the way.
Exactly... I don't understand what people are thinking... He plays in Canadian Juniors for one and when has last Russian fled? We are talking about a top freaking talent... A player that has the potential to be the greatest Duck ever....

The Russians that have the flight tag next to their names aren't considered to be the top talents of drafts. I'm sorry.. Malkin and Ovechkin agree!

EDIT: I'd also draft Mikhail Grigorenko if we had the opportunity

Closed Thread