2012 Draft thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-21-2011, 04:27 PM
DuckshaveaRPG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
I don't believe in sucking for good picks...but with the streak we're on...I'm not as mad as I should be and that's cause this draft looks great. Besides I wouldn't mind having the franchise's first ever first overall pick.

Imagine if Yakupov gets picked by the Ducks and he ends up becoming the next Ovechkin or Crosby? Media attention, over-hyping of our team, national attention, nationally broadcasted games=profit.

Really getting into this idea.
NOW WAY WE FINISH LAST THIS YEAR

come guys yes we have a a awful start but we had one last year too and finished 4TH in the whole conference do people generally think we worse than
CBJ
Flames
Avs
Oilers
Wild
Stars
Yotes
and that just the West, i mean in the east you have the
Islanders
Sens
Jets
Panthers
Canes

are we really worse than all those teams over a 82 game season i think not we be picking mid first again most likely unless we trade for another 1st

Old
11-21-2011, 04:32 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckshaveaRPG View Post

come guys yes we have a a awful start but we had one last year too and finished 4TH in the whole conference do people generally think we worse than
CBJ
Flames
Avs
Oilers
Wild
Stars
Yotes
and that just the West, i mean in the east you have the
Islanders
Sens
Jets
Panthers
Canes

are we really worse than all those teams over a 82 game season i think not we be picking mid first again most likely unless we trade for another 1st
We're on pace for 65 points. I know the pace doesn't tell the whole story but teams usually get pretty close to it. Maybe not dead last. But we're looking at a top 10 pick realistically.

And the Wild are first in the league.

And it's not like anyone WANTS to finish dead last. I just wouldn't mind as much if we did this year. And this is beyond a bad start. The top line looks like a third line out there. And I mean that. The 2cd and third line have been more effective at generating chances. This is a one line team. When that line can't even dominate by applying offensive pressure for longer than 15 seconds, we're gonna be in for a rough ride.

This draft is the only way I've been able to cope lately. Cause last year I would've been devastated. I hope you're right. But in case you're not it's worth being educated about these players. Not just the Yakupov-Grigorenko-Murray-Dumba tier. But the mid-level talent as well.

Old
11-21-2011, 04:42 PM
DuckshaveaRPG

Quote:
We're on pace for 65 points. I know the pace doesn't tell the whole story but teams usually get pretty close to it. Maybe not dead last. But we're looking at a top 10 pick realistically.
yea and the wild on pace for over 100pt season i know the team is just plain bad right now i dont deny that fact and im not expecting the team to finish in top 4 again or close but i think this team well end up once more on the playoff bubble at the very least or be the 6th 7th or 8th seed (which is where they should be) i think we be picking 8- to 14th overall so should look at guys who could be around there i understand everybody want yakpov but we not getting him im sorry if im raining on everybodys worse team in the league parade

Old
11-21-2011, 04:52 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

Quote:
yea and the wild on pace for over 100pt season i know the team is just plain bad right now i dont deny that fact and im not expecting the team to finish in top 4 again or close but i think this team well end up once more on the playoff bubble at the very least or be the 6th 7th or 8th seed (which is where they should be) i think we be picking 8- to 14th overall so should look at guys who could be around there i understand everybody want yakpov but we not getting him im sorry if im raining on everybodys worse team in the league parade
Hahaha. Well you can't know that for sure. If the team decides to go into re-build mode, they could very well trade for the 1st overall pick. But I agree. Though I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility to pick higher than 8, this team is good and I would expect them to at least pick it up a little. Hopefully a LOT more.

Speaking of that drafting range, teams could get scared of Galchenyuk's injury and he could fall a bit. Not past 15. But far enough.

Old
11-21-2011, 05:04 PM
DuckshaveaRPG

guys who are rated 8th and high over all on Craig Button list that i like as possible picks for the Ducks
Griffin Reinhart
Jacob Trouba
Ryan Murray
Derrick Pouliot
Cody Ceci
Martin Frk
Nick Ebert
i think that if the team is as bad as some you hope it going to be then trade Blake and Vis for some picks and prospects or whatever and maybe get rid of some of the less prospects too like Sexton and Belesky

Old
11-21-2011, 05:16 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

Quote:
guys who are rated 8th and high over all on Craig Button list that i like as possible picks for the Ducks
Griffin Reinhart
Jacob Trouba
Ryan Murray
Derrick Pouliot
Cody Ceci
Martin Frk
Nick Ebert
i think that if the team is as bad as some you hope it going to be then trade Blake and Vis for some picks and prospects or whatever and maybe get rid of some of the less prospects too like Sexton and Belesky

I like Galchenyuk, Koekokk, Gaunce, Trouba, Murray (if he falls), and yeah Frk as well, and if we can get Subban in the second round, awesome. His stats have been great so far.
1.) I'm not hoping. Well...I mean if by mid february we're still bottom 10 we might as well go for broke. And be sellers at the deadline and start a rebuild. And I agree with the bolded section IF that happens.

2.) Don't trust Button's lists. And we're gonna see a lot of risers this year.

Griffin Reinhart Sure
Jacob Trouba Prefer him to ^
Ryan Murray This is why you don't trust Button. He's top 5 at worst.
Derrick Pouliot Eh. He's okay but I see him being a 15th or lower.
Cody Ceci I can really see him falling. He's risk reward.
Martin Frk Worth noting he used to be expected to go top 5 even in rankings all year and now finds himself 13-18 in most rankings
Nick Ebert: NOOOO. He has had a TERRIBLE start. Pick him if we get the bottom 5 picks. It'll be Mitera all over again.

Old
11-21-2011, 06:19 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 90
Quote:

come guys yes we have a a awful start but we had one last year too and finished 4TH in the whole conference
At the 20 game mark last year we were 10-8-2 for 22 points. By point % we were somewhat in the middle (don't feel like calculating it out) because we had played the most games by quite a bit. The projection at this point is 90.2 points, which isn't too far from the 99 points we finished up with.

Right now we're 3rd last in point % and in just plain points. We have 16 points. The points pace is 65.6 points which have been 2nd worst in the league last year. So it's a significantly worse start.

Just pretending we got the first pick... Grigorenko seems to be gaining on Yakupov some. ISS had Grigorenko 1st.

Old
11-21-2011, 08:09 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Yakupov will go first that's like choosing Ryan over Crosby in their draft year

Old
11-21-2011, 08:12 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
At the 20 game mark last year we were 10-8-2 for 22 points. By point % we were somewhat in the middle (don't feel like calculating it out) because we had played the most games by quite a bit. The projection at this point is 90.2 points, which isn't too far from the 99 points we finished up with.

Right now we're 3rd last in point % and in just plain points. We have 16 points. The points pace is 65.6 points which have been 2nd worst in the league last year. So it's a significantly worse start.

Just pretending we got the first pick... Grigorenko seems to be gaining on Yakupov some. ISS had Grigorenko 1st.
ISS also had Seguin over Hall like half the year.

Old
11-21-2011, 08:15 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksgo View Post
Yakupov will go first that's like choosing Ryan over Crosby in their draft year
This. Well. Not quite. Both will be phenomenal. Really it depends on what you want. Do you want an Ovie type player in Yakupov who brings high energy high scoring offense? Or another Getzlaf or Thornton type player in Grigorenko? Grigorenko is the puck handling, puck distributing playmaker type player.

But, you don't pick Yakupov over Grigorenko on a team that needs more goals. We thought (at one time) the RPG line was the best line in hockey?

Yakupov-Getzlaf-Perry could make history.

Old
11-22-2011, 12:13 AM
mightyquack
You're the man Teemu

Quote:
I don't believe in sucking for good picks...but with the streak we're on...I'm not as mad as I should be and that's cause this draft looks great. Besides I wouldn't mind having the franchise's first ever first overall pick.

Imagine if Yakupov gets picked by the Ducks and he ends up becoming the next Ovechkin or Crosby? Media attention, over-hyping of our team, national attention, nationally broadcasted games=profit.

Really getting into this idea.
Imagine if the NHL didn't rig the draft lottery and we got Crosby

Old
11-22-2011, 12:19 AM
Gibson Les Palms
Jinxes aren't real

vCash: 50
Either one could fill a huge hole. Yakupov would virtually step into Teemu's shoes or Grigorenko could fill our 2nd line centre position.

Still, I don't hope it comes down to that. It's always embarrassing finishing that low.

Old
11-22-2011, 12:38 AM
gratefulyours
Great 8 = T. Selanne

vCash: 557
talking about our next great draft pick is the only thing keeping me goin right now. when they start winning i'll be on board, till then let me have a scrap of happiness!!!

Old
11-22-2011, 01:03 AM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Take a dumpkins for Nugent-Humpkins? Are we too late?

Old
11-22-2011, 01:28 AM
iLau
Always Mighty

I can't believe there is a draft thread already. I know this team is tanking right now, but it is early in the season and they can still turn it around!

...Right?

Old
11-22-2011, 01:58 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLau View Post
I can't believe there is a draft thread already. I know this team is tanking right now, but it is early in the season and they can still turn it around!

...Right?
Just something else to talk about, heh. If, and when, the Ducks turn things around you'll probably see less of this thread. It is nice though to keep tabs on the next potential Duck(whoever it might be).

Old
11-22-2011, 02:43 AM
mightyquack
You're the man Teemu

Quote:

...Right?
No, I wanna panic NOW!

Old
11-22-2011, 02:56 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
No, I wanna panic NOW!
I apologize for the inconvenience, but here on HFBoards we have a two week waiting period on panicking. We will notify you when you are cleared to panic.

Thank you, from HFBoards.

Old
11-22-2011, 03:32 AM
Gliff
Wild Bill

Old
11-22-2011, 04:32 AM
mightyquack
You're the man Teemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
I apologize for the inconvenience, but here on HFBoards we have a two week waiting period on panicking. We will notify you when you are cleared to panic.

Thank you, from HFBoards.
That damn red tape and politics!!!

Old
11-22-2011, 07:40 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:

...Right?
IMO there can be a draft thread right after the last draft. Nothing wrong with discussing potential draft picks on a future based site. Discuss draft prospects in general, or who might be available wherever you expect to finish (say 15th).

It is early for a tank thread though. Tank thread being where fans cheer losses and wins by other teams and fantasize about how great ____ will be.

Tanking slogans, OTH, always belong. Just cause they're fun. Play like pee pee for Ceci. Do not pass go for Grigorenko.

Old
11-22-2011, 01:42 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Quote:

...Right?
MTL board has their thread stickied along with other teams, it's never to early to talk about the draft!

Old
11-22-2011, 03:24 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

Quote:
IMO there can be a draft thread right after the last draft. Nothing wrong with discussing potential draft picks on a future based site. Discuss draft prospects in general, or who might be available wherever you expect to finish (say 15th).

It is early for a tank thread though. Tank thread being where fans cheer losses and wins by other teams and fantasize about how great ____ will be.

Tanking slogans, OTH, always belong. Just cause they're fun. Play like pee pee for Ceci. Do not pass go for Grigorenko.
Well...I'm not in that boat see? You look at numbers like a 65 point pace and just fantasize a little about the positive that could come out of the terrible negative.

Old
11-24-2011, 08:20 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Time to bump the "Columbus you have competition" MBT?

Redline is now saying that the draft looks shallower than originally thought. http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...ort/51365480/1

If we do suck this season the shallowness wouldn't affect our own 1st round pick, but it would affect the talent available for picks acquired while selling and the 2nd round pick.

Old
11-24-2011, 08:53 AM
mightyquack
You're the man Teemu

Quote:
Time to bump the "Columbus you have competition" MBT?

Redline is now saying that the draft looks shallower than originally thought. http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...ort/51365480/1

If we do suck this season the shallowness wouldn't affect our own 1st round pick, but it would affect the talent available for picks acquired while selling and the 2nd round pick.
I never really bought into the whole this draft is deeper then 03 tbh. I agree with if we're high in the first round it's irrelevant if it's deep or not.

Closed Thread