Ugly Incident @ Knights - Greyhounds Game

Closed Thread

Old
11-16-2011, 02:42 AM
Sanderson

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiwikiwiki View Post
Long time reader. Short time poster.And this is probably the most rediculous thing I have read on HFBoards. That's saying a lot since the majority of members are below the age of 18..and your what? 45?

1. You sign away your rights to sue with the contract you sign to play.
2. You will be shocked when you realize, you don't know lawyers that good.
No, that's not ridiculous at all.
Hockey is a tough sport, injuries happen, accidents happen, but when someone does something that is not part of hockey and you get injured because of it, there is zero reason not to sue.

Someone assaulting an opponent in a beer-league is not covered by anything, nor should it stay on the ice. You behave like an idiot you deserve any punishment you get, plus pay for any damages you caused.

It would be ridiculous to sue someone over a hit or accidental contact, but that clearly wasn't the scenario here. This was about assaulting someone on the ice, which has nothing to do with hockey.

Old
11-16-2011, 06:08 AM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsandwings View Post
I personally don't care what the suspension will be if the kid asks for help & admits his guilt>the safety of these young kids has to be paramount.would think .if the league doesn't send a real message it will only be a matter of time ...the next incident will find some parent demanding justice through the legal system.
This is Real life..real kids..some playing for the joy of it..some to eventually make a living at it..

Right now thjis player is being led to believe he is right in what he did. Would think that in any judgment they could include "Either get some assistance with your problem" or forget about coming back into the league..
I don't know if they have a policy or plan for drug or alcohol problems ..other then trading them from city to city???Someone with more knowledge could answer that for me..
In the penitentiary league(which is real life) it was the only place you could attack another inmate and not get charged..i hope that is not the case out here.
I am not talking about a fight between 2 willing opponents..i am talking about assaults with weapons e.g. hockey sticks..skates..
Umm...please show me where anyone is saying what he did was right?

Old
11-16-2011, 09:21 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
I personally don't care what the suspension will be if the kid asks for help & admits his guilt>the safety of these young kids has to be paramount.would think .if the league doesn't send a real message it will only be a matter of time ...the next incident will find some parent demanding justice through the legal system.
This is Real life..real kids..some playing for the joy of it..some to eventually make a living at it..

Right now thjis player is being led to believe he is right in what he did. Would think that in any judgment they could include "Either get some assistance with your problem" or forget about coming back into the league..
I don't know if they have a policy or plan for drug or alcohol problems ..other then trading them from city to city???Someone with more knowledge could answer that for me..
In the penitentiary league(which is real life) it was the only place you could attack another inmate and not get charged..i hope that is not the case out here.
I am not talking about a fight between 2 willing opponents..i am talking about assaults with weapons e.g. hockey sticks..skates..
a) I don't imagine anyone is telling the kid his actions were right. Not even Dale Hunter.

b) What "problem" are you inferring the kid has? A short fuse? Show me a 17 year old boy who doesn't. Or are you suggesting a mental health issue?

c) What the flying **** are you talking about with alcohol or drug problems?

You're throwing out a lot of baseless insinuations against a kid who made a terrible mistake by letting his emotions get away from him. He screwed up and will serve his suspension.

You're making it sound as though he needs to be committed to the nearest mental institution as soon as possible.

Just stop it. You're making yourself look more foolish with every passing day.

Old
11-16-2011, 11:14 AM
RayzorIsDull

There's only one person that should be locked away and I don't think anybody has to guess who that person is.

Old
11-16-2011, 11:20 AM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

The troubling part about this entire incident moving forward is the one person who should rightfully learn a lesson from the whole thing will carry on business as usual....until the next time.

Led Zeppelin said it best:

Yes, there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run
There's still time to change the road you're on

Last edited by PhlyerPhanatic: 11-16-2011 at 11:34 AM.
Old
11-16-2011, 11:49 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

A) I can't believe I'm defending a (fill in the blank) London Knight.

B) PP31, dammit, I'm gonna be singing Stairway in my mind the rest of the afternoon.

Old
11-16-2011, 12:03 PM
ottawafan66

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlyerPhanatic View Post
The troubling part about this entire incident moving forward is the one person who should rightfully learn a lesson from the whole thing will carry on business as usual....until the next time.

Led Zeppelin said it best:

Yes, there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run
There's still time to change the road you're on
Sounds like you're saying Rupert did nothing wrong!! Really? You don't think he has anger issues? "Normal" 17 year old boys DO NOT carry on this way.

Old
11-16-2011, 12:04 PM
ottawafan66

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
A) I can't believe I'm defending a (fill in the blank) London Knight.

B) PP31, dammit, I'm gonna be singing Stairway in my mind the rest of the afternoon.
I can't believe it either. Kinda sad really. Regardless of what Cousins "may" have said, you don't chop a guy down with your stick. EVER!!!

Old
11-16-2011, 12:05 PM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawafan66 View Post
Sounds like you're saying Rupert did nothing wrong!! Really? You don't think he has anger issues? "Normal" 17 year old boys DO NOT carry on this way.
You didn't just read between the lines(falsely I might add) you parted them like the Red Sea. Ryan Rupert will serve his time for his actions...'nuff said. But Nick Cousins leaves this whole incident with it cemented in his mind that he is the best at what he does...at this level anyways. Like I stated..until the next time.

Old
11-16-2011, 12:14 PM
SimonTemplar

dogsandwings who do you continue to try and mirror substance abuse issues with game time hockey actions. They are nothing alike and do not deserve to be in same thread what so ever.......they are extremely different issues there dude. I get the fact you tend to stray into that convo quite often in reference to your own past but to use it in Jr Hockey and kids playing Jr Hockey is way off base. Next your going to be saying Rupert needs a sponsor outside of hockey to guide him away from the evil Dale Hunter and Co, who actually do drink beer.

There is a time and place for everything but insinuating aspects of this situation then talking about needing help for drug and alcohol problems is just whacked.

In yesterdays Freeps Dale Hunter was quoted that what Rupert did was wrong and he'll pay a price. I also don't see any patterns in London regarding goonery so where did that come from ?

If it keeps on rainin', levee's goin' to break

Old
11-16-2011, 12:18 PM
SimonTemplar

Quote:
Is that right ?

Send a 17 year old up to your local high school and blow kisses at some student out front.

You may be very surprised how kids act now.....and it ain't always pretty.

Old
11-16-2011, 12:23 PM
dogsandwings

Some real sad posts here for sure...because some posters don't like what i have to say..
Seems no one can answer my question...??Does the OHl have a policy to deal with drug and alcohol abuse??
I don't know if the kid has a drug or alcohol problem..but he has some kind of problem.
I do know one thing for sure whenever a kid is discovered who likes to party if they can't control his drinking they ship him and his problem to another city..
"Denial is not a river in Egypt"
Some of these posters are so much like Nick Cousins it is funny...you can't see something in someone else unless you have it in yourself..
Bottom line is there is nothing wrong with having a mental health issue, alcoholism or any addiction problem..it is not a moral ilssue...it is a health problem so be careful how you post ..some of the posts are downright ugly.

Old
11-16-2011, 12:25 PM
dogsandwings

Quote:
a) I don't imagine anyone is telling the kid his actions were right. Not even Dale Hunter.

b) What "problem" are you inferring the kid has? A short fuse? Show me a 17 year old boy who doesn't. Or are you suggesting a mental health issue?

c) What the flying **** are you talking about with alcohol or drug problems?

You're throwing out a lot of baseless insinuations against a kid who made a terrible mistake by letting his emotions get away from him. He screwed up and will serve his suspension.

You're making it sound as though he needs to be committed to the nearest mental institution as soon as possible.

Just stop it. You're making yourself look more foolish with every passing day.
act your age not your shoe size

Old
11-16-2011, 12:28 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
I can't believe it either. Kinda sad really. Regardless of what Cousins "may" have said, you don't chop a guy down with your stick. EVER!!!
You've clearly not read through this thread.

No one, let's say it again - NO ONE - is excusing Rupert's actions. In no way is swinging a stick at another player ever acceptable.

Having said that, I am defending Rupert against those who hint at mental health issues and/or alcohol or drug abuse problems. Those are outrageous slurs and unfair to the player, even if he is a Knight.

Rupert ****ed up. There is no disagreement on that topic whatsoever. He earned a lengthy suspension and he'll serve it. He lost his cool, and shouldn't have. Hopefully he learns a great deal from this experience, so that it never happens again. He won't, however, be hung at noon in the town square.

Old
11-16-2011, 12:29 PM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

Quote:
Some real sad posts here for sure...because some posters don't like what i have to say..
Seems no one can answer my question...??Does the OHl have a policy to deal with drug and alcohol abuse??
I don't know if the kid has a drug or alcohol problem..but he has some kind of problem.
I do know one thing for sure whenever a kid is discovered who likes to party if they can't control his drinking they ship him and his problem to another city..
Some of these posters are so much like Nick Cousins it is funny...you can't see something in someone else unless you have it in yourself..
Bottom line is there is nothing wrong with having a mental health issue, alcoholism or any addiction problem..it is not a moral ilssue...it is a health problem so be careful how you post ..some of the posts are downright ugly.
Legit question...thing is who knows if Rupert has anger management issues or not? Drug problem? I would think it would show up on the medicals the kids take. As long as we're pointing out who may or may not have a problem...has Nick Cousins ever been tested for the fact he may have a bipolar disorder? I do see the road you're travelling down d&w's...but best not leave without gassing up 1st.

He fits the symptom list:

Symptoms

The manic phase may last from days to months. It can include the following symptoms:

Easily distracted

Little need for sleep

Poor judgment

Poor temper control

Reckless behavior and lack of self control

Old
11-16-2011, 12:31 PM
dogsandwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
Umm...please show me where anyone is saying what he did was right?
Ask Dale Hunter his coach who so staunchly defends him

Old
11-16-2011, 12:34 PM
dogsandwings

Quote:
Legit question...thing is who knows if Rupert has anger management issues or not? Drug problem? I would think it would show up on the medicals the kids take. As long as we're pointing out who may or may not have a problem...has Nick Cousins ever been tested for the fact he may have a bipolar disorder? I do see the road you're travelling down d&w's...but best not leave without gassing up 1st.

He fits the symptom list:

Symptoms

The manic phase may last from days to months. It can include the following symptoms:

Easily distracted

Little need for sleep

Poor judgment

Poor temper control

Reckless behavior and lack of self control
Number 1 Symptom of an Addiction problem in case no one reading doesn't know "Denial"

Old
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
some of the posts are downright ugly.
That's the first thing you've said correctly.

Perhaps you can share your credentials for diagnosing a player with a mental health issue. Perhaps you can also provide substantiation for your hints that Rupert has an issue with alcohol or drugs?

The worst offender I've seen in years in the OHL is now earning a pretty good paycheque in Chicago, and has yet to be incarcerated (a bit to my surprise, to be honest) or committed to a mental health unit.

Doesn't excuse his actions in the OHL, but he has learned to control his emotions for the most part. Isn't it possible that Rupert will do the same as he grows up?

Old
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Yes the OHL does have one guys like Alex Aleardi and Ryan O'Connor got suspended for violating the OHL policy last year.

You're also forgetting any OHL player that does have an "issue" with drugs or alcohol we may never know because of statutes like the Youth Criminal Justice Act which protects people from the age of 14-18. After that when you're 19 alcohol consumption is legal and it is up to that player to show responsibility in regards to using it. The Youth Criminal Justice Act would protect 17-20 teams in junior hockey and players on those teams. So I imagine it would be the choice of the league to let the legal process run it's course instead of having penalties for such things because punishing players when they may actually be not guilty in the legal forum would open the league up to lawsuits.

Also you have gone off the deep end in regards to this whole incident. What Rupert did was dumb but it doesn't mean he has a "problem."

Old
11-16-2011, 12:35 PM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

Quote:
A coach will deflect in any situation. You are taught in EVERY coaching course to have the kid's best interest at heart. Trust me...The Hunter's are professionals whether you or anyone else wants to believe it or not. If they feel it's best for Ryan to talk to someone about controlling his emotions..or about just the incident and his take on it...they'll see to it that he does.

Old
11-16-2011, 12:36 PM
ottawafan66

Quote:
You've clearly not read through this thread.

No one, let's say it again - NO ONE - is excusing Rupert's actions. In no way is swinging a stick at another player ever acceptable.

Having said that, I am defending Rupert against those who hint at mental health issues and/or alcohol or drug abuse problems. Those are outrageous slurs and unfair to the player, even if he is a Knight.

Rupert ****ed up. There is no disagreement on that topic whatsoever. He earned a lengthy suspension and he'll serve it. He lost his cool, and shouldn't have. Hopefully he learns a great deal from this experience, so that it never happens again. He won't, however, be hung at noon in the town square.
Oops. Ok. I agree with you here. I thought you were defending what he did.

Old
11-16-2011, 12:36 PM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

Quote:
Number 1 Symptom of an Addiction problem in case no one reading doesn't know "Denial"
Symptom #1 of a person lacking reading skills is their inability to read.

Old
11-16-2011, 12:38 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
A coach will deflect in any situation. You are taught in EVERY coaching course to have the kid's best interest at heart. Trust me...The Hunter's are professionals whether you or anyone else wants to believe it or not. If they feel it's best for Ryan to talk to someone about controlling his emotions..or about just the incident and his take on it...they'll see to it that he does.
I also see nothing wrong with Hunter defending his player. It wouldn't be in the best interests of the coach to abandon the player and throw him to the wolves. Both Hunter and Rupert know there will be a penalty for his actions nothing more has to be said.

Old
11-16-2011, 12:41 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Quote:
http://www.lfpress.com/sports/knight.../18967756.html

"Stumpy hit the guy in the head and (Rupert) got him on the pants," Hunter said. "He's going to get something. Obviously, we hope it's smaller . . . It's up to (OHL commissioner) Dave Branch and (vice-president) Ted Baker to decide (suspension) and we will respect their decision."
How is that defending him?

And don't make me stand up for Dale Effing Hunter again.

Old
11-16-2011, 12:43 PM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

Quote:
How is that defending him?

And don't make me stand up for Dale Effing Hunter again.
Just buy a Knights jersey and get it over with would ya.

Closed Thread