Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Ryan Rupert Ugly Slashing on Nick Cousins [OHL]

Old
11-12-2011, 11:39 AM
Loosie

vCash: 500
Here's what I posted in thread in the OHL forum about this:

It was a dumb move by Cousins. There was absolutely no reason for him to shoot the puck into the empty net like that, and celebrate. It was a d-bag move.

No, that being said, there was absolutely no reason for Rupert to two-hand slash him to the stomach. Maybe a little shove/check, but that was totally uncalled for.

A long suspension will be coming his way, but I'd really like to see Cousins get fined or something, because there was no need for that.

Loosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 11:46 AM
Chaz McNulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by karnige View Post
don't taunt the guy and bump into him. he still shouldn't have done that though.

Anybody defending this goon really needs to get their heads examined. Anybody who gets frustrated to the point of giving someone a baseball swing slash (see McSorley) and then jumping him while he lays head down on the ice (see Bertuzzi) needs to be out of the game. This guy will never be able to control his anger. It's guys like these that end up in prison for assault and manslaughter because someone bumped into them in a bar line-up.

Despicable.

Last edited by SpinTheBlackCircle: 11-12-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Chaz McNulty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 11:48 AM
Eisen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosie View Post

It was a dumb move by Cousins. There was absolutely no reason for him to shoot the puck into the empty net like that, and celebrate. It was a d-bag move.

No, that being said, there was absolutely no reason for Rupert to two-hand slash him to the stomach. Maybe a little shove/check, but that was totally uncalled for.

A long suspension will be coming his way, but I'd really like to see Cousins get fined or something, because there was no need for that.
But where do you draw the line there? Why not some fine for someone trashtalking my mom? Or making rascist remarks? I mean, he shot on an empty net and talked a bit. Hardly horrible.

Eisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 11:49 AM
Chaz McNulty

Quote:

I can't believe people are even discussing Cousin's d-bag move in this thread. WHO CARES that he taunted someone. Give him a facewash or drop your gloves with the guy.

Rupert should atleast be gone for the season.

Chaz McNulty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 11:52 AM
DerhaertesteChecker

If that clean hit got 20, then this should be at least a lifetime ban coming form the ohl.

DerhaertesteChecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 11:52 AM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisen View Post
But where do you draw the line there? Why not some fine for someone trashtalking my mom? Or making rascist remarks? I mean, he shot on an empty net and talked a bit. Hardly horrible.
Because in that sense you've already won. The game was over and he does that? Trashtalk in the heat of the moment, during a game is fine, but doing that is unsportsmanlike and classless. It's creating an incident that doesn't happen if he skates to his goalie and celebrates there. As far as I'm concerned, he deserved what he got. You wanna be a ****** bag on the ice? Stuff like that is coming your way. That being said, Rupert is now gonna get what he deserves in the way of a suspension.

If Cousins thinks that crap is funny though, I hope he gets it harder next time. And he'll deserve it all the same at that point too.

tp71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 11:53 AM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz McNulty View Post
I can't believe people are even discussing Cousin's d-bag move in this thread. WHO CARES that he taunted someone. Give him a facewash or drop your gloves with the guy.

Rupert should atleast be gone for the season.
They're discussing it because if Cousins isnt a d-bag, then this never happens. Simple. You reap what you sew.

Old
11-12-2011, 11:54 AM
WorkingOvertime

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3hirty6ix View Post
Press charges imo. That's basically assault with a weapon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
Rest of the season + criminal charge.
I don't think anyone could/should defend the play, but criminal charges? Are you all being serious?

We've seen worse slashes before, and I don't recall anyone ever being charged for them. I'm sure the slash to the stomach had intent and was painful, but slashes will less force to the head, wrist, and leg are (typically) much more dangerous.

It's a cheap play, but it's not criminal.

WorkingOvertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 11:58 AM
Vdhawan89
#FireLowe

That was disgusting. But what a dumbass move my Cousins too.

Vdhawan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 12:01 PM
Joe Pesci
Do I amuse you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp71 View Post
They're discussing it because if Cousins isnt a d-bag, then this never happens. Simple. You reap what you sew.
He didn't deserve that, at all. Players taunt and chirp all the damn time and you don't see other players slashing them across the stomache. No excuse for what Rupert did.

Joe Pesci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 12:02 PM
Davebo
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by timanGi View Post
Canadian kids seem to have some serious anger issues.
Show us how to be angels, finns?

Davebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 12:04 PM
tikkanen5rings*

Quote:
Because in that sense you've already won. The game was over and he does that? Trashtalk in the heat of the moment, during a game is fine, but doing that is unsportsmanlike and classless. It's creating an incident that doesn't happen if he skates to his goalie and celebrates there. As far as I'm concerned, he deserved what he got. You wanna be a ****** bag on the ice? Stuff like that is coming your way. That being said, Rupert is now gonna get what he deserves in the way of a suspension.

If Cousins thinks that crap is funny though, I hope he gets it harder next time. And he'll deserve it all the same at that point too.
first of all I hate you. Second of all trash talking does not give you an excuse to use a neanderthal attack on your opponent. Say what you want but that **** was horrible and does not belong in hoxkey.

tikkanen5rings* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 12:08 PM
stubbadub

He used his stick as a weapon. He then attacked after the player was on the ice. He should by all means get the season, no doubt about it.

stubbadub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 12:08 PM
Pigs On The Wing

Should be about 10 games. But it's the OHL so he'll get like 50.

Pigs On The Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 12:09 PM
therealdeal

Quote:

I don't think you can fine someone for celebrating a goal or scoring a goal. That would be a really bizarre and dangerous precedent to set.

therealdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 12:11 PM
Confound
-Vindicated-

More than 10 games.

Confound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 12:13 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:

You have got to be kidding. How in the world can you condone assault?

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 12:14 PM
MtlPenFan

That's a season. I mean an all out ban for this year.

It's not just the slash, which is bad enough, but then he jumps him and starts punching away.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 12:15 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkanen5rings View Post
first of all I hate you. Second of all trash talking does not give you an excuse to use a neanderthal attack on your opponent. Say what you want but that **** was horrible and does not belong in hoxkey.
Read what I wrote. Cousins deserved what he got for being a d-bag which is a nice bruise, and further I wrote that Rupert will get what he deserves for his reaction because I agree it doesn't belong in hockey.

If Cousins wants to celebrate like that and be a dick over it, fine. But be prepared to take some lumber every now and again. I know it was your Flyers draft pick that was laying on the ice, but he deserved it imo. But it's ok, he'll fit right in with Zac Rinaldo on your team. As far as the hate goes, that's fine. I don't even know you in the first place.

Old
11-12-2011, 12:16 PM
Eisen

Quote:

That seems excessive. And I doubt that all the trashtalking is in the heat of the moment. There are players being paid for trolling and getting under the skin of the other team.

Eisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 12:18 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
You have got to be kidding. How in the world can you condone assault?
I didn't condone it. I said Rupert deserves his suspension, but the fact is Cousins had it coming, and he has no one to blame but himself. You act like this, eventually someone is gonna tag you. Again, Rupert deserves everything he's about to get. I just have no sympathy for Cousins whatsoever.

Old
11-12-2011, 12:18 PM
Loosie

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdeal View Post
I don't think you can fine someone for celebrating a goal or scoring a goal. That would be a really bizarre and dangerous precedent to set.
He wasn't celebrating a goal, he shot a puck into an empty net after time expired, he let the shot go BEFORE time expired, then celebrated his 'goal'. I don't think Rupert should have slashed him like he did, but Cousins shouldn't have acted like he did either.

Loosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 12:21 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisen View Post
That seems excessive. And I doubt that all the trashtalking is in the heat of the moment. There are players being paid for trolling and getting under the skin of the other team.
Yes there are. But you usually don't see them pull that. Most agitators know the line and skirt it. I believe Cousins went over the line. I remember being perfectly fine when Hollweg ate Simons stick a few years back. This is a very similar reaction to me. Both Simon and Rupert absolutely 100% deserve a long and thorough suspension, don't get me wrong, but in both instances, Hollweg and Cousins probably got what was coming to them.

I know it's not the popular opinion, but I guess that's just me.

Old
11-12-2011, 12:21 PM
Skrudland2Lomakin

Quote:
He wasn't celebrating a goal, he shot a puck into an empty net after time expired, he let the shot go BEFORE time expired, then celebrated his 'goal'. I don't think Rupert should have slashed him like he did, but Cousins shouldn't have acted like he did either.
So it's even less of a reason to be able to fine him.

Cousins did a little trash talking, so what, if this is what some of you think "reaps" a response like this then you should hear what they really say is on the ice, feels like some of you would justify murder for that.

Skrudland2Lomakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 12:26 PM
bruinsfan46

Full brawl for those interested, not much else to see:

bruinsfan46 is online now   Reply With Quote