HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can we compete for the Cup

View Poll Results: Can we win the Cup?
Nope... 18 12.41%
Yeah! 89 61.38%
In a few years (FFFFUUUUUU) 38 26.21%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-12-2011, 03:50 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw2004 View Post
I will tell you after I see them play against Pits, Bruins, Phily and Caps.
This right here.

You do not see a glaring weakness at the moment, especially if Dubinsky's game comes alive and Arty continues to produce on that left side...Otherwise if any of those 2 starts to cool off drastically we do need a scoring LW'er.

Then we move onto the defense. Eminger will be fine. My concern right now is if Staal is out all 82 games and playoffs; will Woywitka be enough? Maybe the team looks to make a trade if the time is right?

All in all I think it's very possible. If things start to click at the right time and you ride that wave just like Montreal did 2 playoffs ago, and even Boston to an extent last playoffs.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 04:00 PM
OverTheCap

Not this year.

Girardi and McDonagh are bound to get exhausted at some point. Arty and Stepan have been playing well as of late but they are still young and prone to streakyness. And the biggest absence of all is of course Staal, and we don't know when he will return or if he will be the same player when he does.

As mentioned above, it's hard to tell where we stand when we have yet to play a game against Philly, Pitt, or Wash. In all likelihood, these are teams that we would have to beat in the playoffs to advance to the finals.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 04:40 PM
McMonster

Not yet

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 04:58 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
Parise-Richards-Gaborik
Kreider-Stepan-Callahan
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Hagelin or Miller
Rupp-Boyle-Prust

Staal-Girardi
McD-Sauer
MDZ-Erixon

OMG.

Hopefully we won't rush Miller for no reason next season. Also, Kreider shouldn't be rushed to the top-6. He should play with the other speedster, Hagelin, on the third line.

But if we go with your lineup, at least switch Brad with Step. Step looks great with Gabby and Richards would likely look good with Kreider.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 05:06 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Any team can compete for the cup that isn't already statistically out of the playoffs.

To make a yes or no based on anything but that would be technically incorrect or entirely arbitrary based on what chance they constitute "competing" for the cup.

What % chance is "competing?" Is it 5%, 10%? To me, it is any % greater than 0.0, as that is the only way to practically quantify it.

So yes, we can compete for the cup.

11-12-2011, 05:16 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLU Hockey View Post
Any team can compete for the cup that isn't already statistically out of the playoffs.

To make a yes or no based on anything but that would be technically incorrect or entirely arbitrary based on what chance they constitute "competing" for the cup.

What % chance is "competing?" Is it 5%, 10%? To me, it is any % greater than 0.0, as that is the only way to practically quantify it.

So yes, we can compete for the cup.
I would disagree that a team with a 0.1% chance is truly "competing" for the cup. Is a team with a 1 in 1,000 shot truly in the running?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 05:22 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I would disagree that a team with a 0.1% chance is truly "competing" for the cup. Is a team with a 1 in 1,000 shot truly in the running?
If it wasn't, people would never play the lottery.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 05:37 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Voted yes, as in "it's possible".

I figure we are good for a 6th or 5th in the EC, with a repsectable chance at making it to the ECF, therefore...

possible

11-12-2011, 06:01 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

I thought it was possible going into the season, regardless of the poor start and recent hot-streak.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 06:22 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

I still think they need another big time scoring threat and a top-level defender.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with the team right now, but I still think they need a little more to put them over the top and in the running with the elite teams out there.

Sad part is, they have the potential to be an elite team as it is, I just don't think they're a legitimate cup threat as of right now.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 06:23 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

It depends on how you define "possible". If it means do we have a 0.0000000001% chance, then yes, it's possible. If it means, "do we stand a reasonable shot of winning?", then no we don't have a chance.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 06:30 PM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

Haha, 2 weeks ago this team sucked and was "a bad team". Now it's "can we compete for the cup?" One month into the season and we haven't played any of the easts top teams, and have one game played in our division which was a loss to the Isles. Let's take a deep breath and revisit the "this is a bad team" "can we win the cup" discussion this spring.

I'm just glad MDZ looks like a player. I'm happily eating crow on that.

N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 06:36 PM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nils2317 View Post
Oh wow... how did I think that sounds right
All good! It just made me laugh a bit.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 07:03 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowrunner View Post
LOL. Bipolar disorder, I salute you!
I'm glad this was the 2nd post in the thread because it's the first thing I thought of when reading the title. We went from being a "just not a good team" to contending for the cup within a two week span.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 07:05 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
I'm glad this was the 2nd post in the thread because it's the first thing I thought of when reading the title. We went from being a "just not a good team" to contending for the cup within a two week span.

So basically...Avery is the difference between a bad hockey team and a cup contender

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 07:29 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

How is anyone saying no?

This is the NHL not the NBA. Once you're in the playoffs, anyone has a chance with the right guys getting hot, especially with Henrik in net.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 07:50 PM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

Dear people. I'm not bipolar. I thought we would compete before the season even started. My ONLY post in the "bad team" thread was

"We need to get our act together. nothing else"

We got our act together, an should maintain it, so now I'm positive we could cause some trouble in the playoffs

Tanner Glass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 08:05 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nils2317 View Post
Straight out question. Can we compete for the cup THIS YEAR. I'm not looking for any of this "in a few years" crap. Nobody can predict what happens in a few years. Obviously, any team that makes the playoffs can technically compete, but will we compete competitively?

Personally, going by the way we're playing, I honestly believe that we are good enough to go all the way already
Not so fast pal. While we are playing well, doing some good things and we appear to be headed in the right direction finally with drafting, signings, etc(finally!), we are not nearly big/physical/and talented enough to compete in a 7 game series with teams like the Pens, Caps, Bruins, Flyers, Bolts and Sabres in the east and the Black Hawks, Wings, Sharks and Canucks in the West. I'm really liking what I see so far and as I've said in the past, they have the perfect coach to push the players to perform at their highest level something a lot of posters on this board have failed to recognize with Torts as our coach.
We are at the very least a big finisher and a big bruiser on "D" away from competing with the aforementioned teams above.
That's what I love about some of the posters on this forum; we have a 6 game winning streak and we're now ready to compete for the cup and then we could go on a 3 game losing streak and everybody here wants Torts fired. You can't make this **** up!

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 08:16 PM
Ail
k.

I hope they lose a few games so the "Do we have a shot at Nail?" thread gets made.

11-12-2011, 08:19 PM
UAGoalieGuy

The true test is at the end of the month when the Rangers play Washington, Pittsburg, and Philly to round out November.

Rangers "should" win against the Islanders, Montreal, and Florida (Which are their next three games).

If Staal is out of from the rest of the season, it's going to be tough for Girardi and McD to keep playing at the level they have been, playing 27 to 30 minutes night in and night out.

A healthy Staal and a good pick-up at the trade deadline to add some more goal scoring on the wing, then I say yes.

The big part is consistency. If they can keep playing the way they have the rest of the season (Obviously they will not win every game), with the occassional fluke game here and there, I think they have a shot. A hot goalie can take you deep in the playoffs.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 09:41 PM
WeWillWinTonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
I hope they lose a few games so the "Do we have a shot at Nail?" thread gets made.
To prove a point on a message board you hope your team fails?

WeWillWinTonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 10:44 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

technically, if you can make the playoffs, you can "compete" for the cup. with the way playoff series go, there are way too many factors to make a reasonable prediction at this point. are we going into the playoffs against weak opponents? home ice advantage? is lundqvist on a hot streak? is he reasonably rested? is gaborik scoring? how are our special teams? a lot of these questions don't have clear answers until april so so hard to say at this point.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 10:49 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingofNY View Post
How is anyone saying no?

This is the NHL not the NBA. Once you're in the playoffs, anyone has a chance with the right guys getting hot, especially with Henrik in net.
Generally speaking, it's always nice to have a positive attitude about anything but winning 16 games in the stanley cup playoffs is the hardest thing to do in sports. That being said, I still don't believe the Rangers are physically big enough and have enough firepower to contend for a cup this year.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 11:11 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

could this team win a cup? sure. are they favorites? Highly unlikely unless one of our kids this year emerges as an offensive star. IE, Stepan, Dubi or cally. and by offensive star i mean 70+ pts.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 11:15 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

I said going into the season that I thought the Rangers were the third best team in the east. I also said that I thought they could advance at least two rounds in the playoffs, but that it wouldn't be until next year that they make it to the finals. 15 games in and I feel exactly the same.

So, I voted yes - because I think the third best team in the conference has a shot at the Cup. I just don't think they WILL win the Cup, especially with Staal's future still up in the air and a need for one more scoring threat.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote