HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

2012-13 Avs d-man situation

Old
05-06-2013, 01:26 AM
HockeyFan100
Welcome to COL!

vCash: 500
Sign Streit.

Streit - EJ
Hejda - Barrie
Wilson - Zanon

Looks pretty good to me.

HockeyFan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 02:20 AM
RobinDIF
Reunite ROR & Landy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan100 View Post
Sign Streit.

Streit - EJ
Hejda - Barrie
Wilson - Zanon

Looks pretty good to me.
We are getting Jones and playing him straight away though. Would love to match him up with someone like Scuderi.

I have always liked Streit though. Would not mind getting him.

RobinDIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 02:35 AM
HockeyFan100
Welcome to COL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
We are getting Jones and playing him straight away though. Would love to match him up with someone like Scuderi.

I have always liked Streit though. Would not mind getting him.
There's no guarantee that Avs are drafting Jones. Even if they do, he probably won't join the team until 14-15. I'd rather not rush his development, he's only had one year in the WHL.

Old
05-06-2013, 04:30 AM
Jaymond Flurrie

Quote:
There's no guarantee that Avs are drafting Jones. Even if they do, he probably won't join the team until 14-15. I'd rather not rush his development, he's only had one year in the WHL.
Would you be willing to bet on it? I say in 2013-14 Jones plays for Avalanche.

Jaymond Flurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 08:36 AM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

vCash: 50
Quote:
What makes you say that?

TwoPadStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 09:06 AM
marioni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
I dont remember the last First overall pick who was sent back and/or didnt play at 18
They were all forwards though. But it would be pretty funny - in a bad way - if Jones were sent down after all the hype.

marioni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 09:11 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Jones will be in the NHL for 13-14. Every single indication shows that he is NHL ready, and the only thing that people cling to him not being NHL ready is not wanting to ruin him early. There should be absolutely no worry with that as there is a 9 game tryout where if he looks terrible, he can be sent back down the the WHL.

I have missed the last few games of his, but I have seen 15-20 Portland of his games and almost all of his WJC games this season. I have seen nothing to make me think that he isn't NHL ready today. Hell, he would have been close to NHL ready last season from what I saw there.

I'd love to sign a defensemen to play with EJ, but I really don't see it in the cards. Barrie and Jones will be in the NHL and 6 more 1 way contracts sitting around (not to mention Elliott who showed signs that he is close to ready). In reality 2 of those 1 way contracts would have to be moved to get enough room to sign a UFA defensemen. I expect the Avs will start the season with one of these two defenses:

Barrie-EJ
Hejda-Jones
Wilson-Elliott
Zanon
Hunwick
(SOB traded)

or

Wilson-EJ
Hejda-Jones
Zanon-Barrie
Hunwick
SOB

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 10:11 AM
Jaymond Flurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
I'd love to sign a defensemen to play with EJ, but I really don't see it in the cards. Barrie and Jones will be in the NHL and 6 more 1 way contracts sitting around (not to mention Elliott who showed signs that he is close to ready). In reality 2 of those 1 way contracts would have to be moved to get enough room to sign a UFA defensemen.
This is another way to put it that Avs has totally screwed up by signing all d-men to multiyear deals. And it's not like they've been huge disappointments - most of them came as bottom-pair NHLers, most of them still are.

It would require a trade to get a veteran d-man to Avs. I just don't think there's too many GMs drooling after gregzanons.

Old
05-06-2013, 10:26 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
I dont remember the last First overall pick who was sent back and/or didnt play at 18 ( EJ maybe ? ).
Indeed, it was EJ funny enough. However EJ was playing in the USDP at the time, about 50 games a year. He had yet to put up with a 70+ game schedule.

Jones is much more NHL ready than EJ was imho. Defensively EJ was probably more prepared, I expect Jones to have the same stumbling blocks he did at the WJC in the NHL (I think Seph mentioned him "watching" earlier, I noticed that some at the WJC) and I think he's going to have a hard time learning his NHL level timing (when to pinch, when to drop).

But he's definitely ready for the big leagues. Especially if we pair him with Hejda. So with the right coach I would have no fear whatsoever about him playing 20 minutes a night from the get go.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 11:25 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
You are incorrect.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 12:09 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Mark Streit is a LH d-man who plays on the right side only, he looked beyond terrible when JM tried him on the left side with the Canadiens.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 03:27 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Yea many Scouts were saying that Jones was NHL ready this past season. I cant see him playing another year in the WHL.

Hopefully we get rid of the bums like Zanon, Obrien, and maybe Hunwick. I don't care if we have to play them in the AHL as long as there not on the NHL roster.

Wilson - EJ
Hejda - Barrie
Scuderi - Jones
Hunwick

That's what I would like to see starting the year. Let Siemens and Elliott play all the minutes in LEM and help them continue to build chemistry together.

If(When) Wilson goes down with an injury call up Siemens as his replacement. And If/When Jones, EJ, or Barrie get injured call up Elliott.

Hunny can ride the pine and eat the Nachos all while making approximately 1.6M next year.

Pierce Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 06:11 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

This situation is significant. We have a GM who has not been relieved of duties who created this terrible one-way contracted defense. We've got an ownership that says they are willing to pay when the time is right and we've got potentially 2-3 kids depending on the draft who are not only ready for roster spots but better than at least three of the one way contracts. This is kind of a put-up or shut-up situation. The AVs need to make some moves to shed one-way contracts to a couple of Zannon, O'Brien, Hunwick and Wilson. I love Wilson's game but am concerned about his health but he'd be they guy I most want to keep.

X-EJ
Wilson-Barrie
Hejda-Jones/Elliott

Would be nice to get someone in FA or trade to play with EJ but I have a feeling he'll end up with Hunwick again.

Reasonably I can see Elliott starting off in the AHL as he still hasn't quite caught fire....and Siemens. But I'm worried about the the AVs ability to groom and grow dmen at that level.

expatriated_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 07:48 PM
avsman

Sergei Gonchar?

avsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 07:54 PM
AvsFan20
Bring back Downie

vCash: 125
EJ - Wilson
Hejda - Barrie
Jones - Hunwick

AvsFan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 08:29 PM
Rhaego

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsFan20 View Post
EJ - Wilson
Hejda - Barrie
Jones - Hunwick
Jones with Hunwick is a disaster

Rhaego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 09:39 PM
HockeyFan100
Welcome to COL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
You are incorrect.
Nope.

Old
05-06-2013, 10:04 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

What do y'all think of trying Wilson with Barrie to free Hejda up to play with either Seth (if drafted) or Elliott (if the AVs go off the board?)

X-EJ
Wilson-Barrie
Hejda-Jones/Elliott

X = New D-man or most likely Hunwick

Old
05-06-2013, 10:04 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Nope.
If the Avs draft Jones, he'll be in the NHL next year. Guaranteed.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 10:31 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
If the Avs draft Jones, he'll be in the NHL next year. Guaranteed.
I think this is very probable, but I also think people shouldn't consider it a lock by any means.

Who knows how a junior player will look in training camp against pro's, making decisions at NHL speed, and who knows what the Avs think will be in the best interest of Jones and the team long term.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 10:49 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
I think this is very probable, but I also think people shouldn't consider it a lock by any means.

Who knows how a junior player will look in training camp against pro's, making decisions at NHL speed, and who knows what the Avs think will be in the best interest of Jones and the team long term.
I can't imagine him looking any worse than a year older Zannon.

Here's the deal...There are 2-3(4 if the AVs draft Jones) kids who could play in the NHL next season. Barrie, Jones and to a lesser extent Elliott.

We know for a fact that barring a stupid trade we will have both EJ and Hejda and now we have to round out the corp by getting four of the following:
Jones
Elliott
Barrie
Siemens
Hunwick
Zannon
O'Brien
Wilson

How many folks claimed "Hunwick, Zannon, O'Brien and Wilson?"

The AVs have some work to do....Beginning at the draft and continuing on until they have solid D-pairings that do more than add a dollar amount to the cap.

Old
05-06-2013, 11:50 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
I can't imagine him looking any worse than a year older Zannon.

Here's the deal...There are 2-3(4 if the AVs draft Jones) kids who could play in the NHL next season. Barrie, Jones and to a lesser extent Elliott.

We know for a fact that barring a stupid trade we will have both EJ and Hejda and now we have to round out the corp by getting four of the following:
Jones
Elliott
Barrie
Siemens
Hunwick
Zannon
O'Brien
Wilson

How many folks claimed "Hunwick, Zannon, O'Brien and Wilson?"

The AVs have some work to do....Beginning at the draft and continuing on until they have solid D-pairings that do more than add a dollar amount to the cap.
You're making an excellent point here.

But I feel that the Avs will MAKE room for Barrie. I get the sense that at this stage in their young careers that they're more comfortable/confident in his game at the NHL level.

But if they were to draft Jones, and we KNOW that EJ and Hejda are locks for D spots, and presumably Jones as well, then I could see Barrie sort of being put into the "locked in" spot, leaving 2 spots for Elliott, Siemens, Zanon, SOB, Hunwick, Wilson.

I think the Avs will carry 7 Defensemen anyway, and I see Wilson staying, he's younger than Zanon/SOB/Hunwick, and is arguably our best open-ice hitter.

I think Siemens starts in the AHL, unless he just comes in and absolutely "WOW's" the Avs and just outplays everyone. I think they put Elliott in the AHL as well as Siemens' partner.

So that leaves, for one (playing) spot (presumably, from my POV) Hunwick/Zanon/SOB.

My gut tells me that it'd be Zanon, with SOB either being sent to LE (or whoever our AHL affiliate would be next year if they opt out) or bought out, and Hunwick is our 7th Defenseman who switches in-and-out with Zanon, leaving the final pairings as

Wilson-EJ
Jones-Hejda
Barrie-Zanon/Hunwick

PP
EJ-Barrie
Jones-Wilson/Hejda

I think it's important for EJ to get SOME time on the Left side on the PP, it seems like it's easier for him to get off his shot on a 1-timer a lot easier, and we know he has a boom of a shot.

Anyways, just my .02 cents

Thought I'd been in love before, but in my heart I wanted more. Seems like all I really was doing was waiting for you - John Lennon/The Beatles
RockLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 12:32 AM
ANewHope
Nuggets|Avs|Broncos

Quote:
Originally Posted by marioni View Post
They were all forwards though. But it would be pretty funny - in a bad way - if Jones were sent down after all the hype.
I've been trying to read up and watch tape on Jones to get an idea but nowhere near as knowledgeable as others on him, everybody seems to think he's a lock. With everything people have been saying it seems like like that's the case. 19 years old is still pretty young but with the all praise for his IQ and his big frame/skating ability gotta think he can make it. I agree tho, don't rush him if he can't.

I'm really curious about how the minutes get dished out by the new coach.

ANewHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 05:35 AM
Jaymond Flurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
In other words you are saying Siemens can't play in NHL next season? Assuming that you consider him as a kid.

Old
05-07-2013, 09:04 AM
ThunderBird

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
You're making an excellent point here.

But I feel that the Avs will MAKE room for Barrie. I get the sense that at this stage in their young careers that they're more comfortable/confident in his game at the NHL level.

But if they were to draft Jones, and we KNOW that EJ and Hejda are locks for D spots, and presumably Jones as well, then I could see Barrie sort of being put into the "locked in" spot, leaving 2 spots for Elliott, Siemens, Zanon, SOB, Hunwick, Wilson.

I think the Avs will carry 7 Defensemen anyway, and I see Wilson staying, he's younger than Zanon/SOB/Hunwick, and is arguably our best open-ice hitter.

I think Siemens starts in the AHL, unless he just comes in and absolutely "WOW's" the Avs and just outplays everyone. I think they put Elliott in the AHL as well as Siemens' partner.

So that leaves, for one (playing) spot (presumably, from my POV) Hunwick/Zanon/SOB.

My gut tells me that it'd be Zanon, with SOB either being sent to LE (or whoever our AHL affiliate would be next year if they opt out) or bought out, and Hunwick is our 7th Defenseman who switches in-and-out with Zanon, leaving the final pairings as

Wilson-EJ
Jones-Hejda
Barrie-Zanon/Hunwick

PP
EJ-Barrie
Jones-Wilson/Hejda

I think it's important for EJ to get SOME time on the Left side on the PP, it seems like it's easier for him to get off his shot on a 1-timer a lot easier, and we know he has a boom of a shot.

Anyways, just my .02 cents
I agree with everything but the Zanon or SOB in the AHL. I think it is a trade or we keep and carry 8 d-man with Berry and Jones being in the big club.

ThunderBird is offline   Reply With Quote