HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Too hard on this team?

Old
11-15-2011, 02:34 AM
heartsabres*

vCash: 500
Too hard on this team?

On many different websites including this one sabres fans have been extremely angry and going as far as calling the sabres weak. I believe everything is a growing process.

We are in second place in the conference and 3 points out of 1st overall with a game in hand. This team still has not been even close to coming together.

I really think the fans are being to hard on this team, give it time we will be in first by the end of the season.

heartsabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 05:03 AM
barnell
butter knife hockey

We watch them day in and day out so all of their flaws are laid bare to us.

The best example of this is the Miller situation. In the national media he is an elite goalie. To us he is garbage.

barnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 06:15 AM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

They are dead last in hitting and blocking shots every year. They are soft. Maybe if they sign another Leino?

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 06:20 AM
Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnell View Post
The best example of this is the Miller situation. In the national media he is an elite goalie. To us he is garbage.
Easy with that usage of "us."

Anyhow, OP, fans are fickle. You're only as good as your last game. Some let their expectations skyrocket when Pegula took over, but building championship teams doesn't happen over an offseason. Expectations should probably be tempered a bit.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 06:28 AM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post

Anyhow, OP, fans are fickle. You're only as good as your last game. Some let their expectations skyrocket when Pegula took over, but building championship teams doesn't happen over an offseason. Expectations should probably be tempered a bit.
Best post I've seen Clock.

And I agree with you, Rome wasn't built in a day. It is also true that we aren't even 20 games into this season, but I believe it fair to begin to ***** what the team has in Leino, Ehrhoff and Regher their off season acquisitions combined with how the team has improved with those additions.

I am with many fans on here that Leino was a large risk and it appears early on in any event, to have been a failure to date. Now, if we brought in Briere to play with him......

Regher looks ok, Ehrhoff appears to be mis-utilized by Ruff so far. Not taking advantage of his boomer point shot is a very big mistake in my opinion.

Outside of these 3 players, we could go on with the assesment, but I believe everyone who reads this gets the picture.

static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 07:56 AM
Reddawg

Yes, we're being too hard on them given the result they've put out there in the first six weeks of the season. That's our job as fans. Their job as players is to prove us wrong and keep improving.

The designated area for blind misguided loyalty to a jersey is about 50 miles North on the QEW.

Reddawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 08:00 AM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

We're a passionate fan base. Of course we're too hard on the team at times. With this season, as Clock said, it's probably even more pronounced due to the hype of the past year, as well as the change in expectations.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 08:01 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
As far as the whole season goes, I'm not worried about where they will end up. But I am too frustrated with some of the showings they've had.

vcv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 08:48 AM
sk8haggard9

If someone with no prior knowledge of this season came on and read the boards, they would think we were flopping around last place. In reality though, we have the most wins in the league.

Yes, I believe many of us our being too hard on the team. Pegula increased expectations tenfold.

sk8haggard9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 09:04 AM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

However, to the original post, "weak" and "2nd place" are not mutually exclusive. Results / performance can be achieved multiple ways.

Personally, I'd like to see the Sabres win all 3 periods of a few games against top-flight competition. That's my barometer for top-notch performance, moreso than W-L-OTL record and points.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 09:07 AM
punkr0x

I think it's hard to be comfortable if your team isn't dominating the league. It's way too early in the season to know how things will pan out. So far the Sabres have been great overall but inconsistent on a nightly basis. Leino was the high profile move we've been begging Darcy to take for years, now we see the downside of it.

punkr0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 09:40 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:

Sometimes even their last shift, shot, or save, let alone last game.

This team is still an unfinished product. Patience is not something most sports fans willingly cultivate around their franchise. Hope, particularly that of those so long without, is easily turned to despair for those who have no facility with how to deal with it over the long haul.

11-15-2011, 10:06 AM
ohheyimmark

Putting the myth of consistent, 60 minute efforts to bed.

I think it's high time we put a certain myth to bed. No team comes out and plays full octane and to its potential for 60 minutes, game in and game out...which is one of the biggest criticisms of the Sabres.

Last night, for large portions of the first and second period, the Sabres looked listless and flat after perhaps the most controversial game since the Neil/Drury debacle. Posters, pundits, and fans called the team soft, questioned their heart, and stated (for the 34958374th time) that there is something deeply wrong with the core.

I bet you'll find similar posts in just about every other team's forum a few times a month. I'm not sure there is any real evidence to back this up, but I really doubt any fan-base thinks their team gives 100% every minute of every period of every game for the entire season. It just doesn't happen. Moreover, I don't even think it's a lack of effort on behalf of players so much as it is the skill level in the league.

The NHL has achieved parity. Any team can beat any team on any given night. Sometimes we will get outplayed. Sometimes we will outplay the opponent. In both instances, fans (and especially those who care enough to post consistently on a message board) will find aspects of the game worthy of criticism if not disdain.

Do the Sabres have problems? Definitely. The defense has been an inconsistent mess. The team certainly isn't physically imposing, aside from a few individuals. Our starting goalie struggled, is concussed, and we largely failed to respond in the immediate. But you know what? Every other team has similar problems. Teams get hot, teams go cold, water is wet.

We can improve. We likely will improve. People need to relax a little bit. It's not even 1/4 way through the season.

Go Sabres.

ohheyimmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 11:05 AM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

yep. some here are too hard on em

the Sabres are fine and will be fine, excited what your boys can do in this years POs

frostyflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 11:21 AM
HogtownSabresfan

The bottom line is they are 11-6-0 and really have not played great, other than Enroth, Pominville, Vanek, Adam and now Roy. It makes one wonder about the potential of this team. Two top goalies at the tope of their game. Erhoff remembering how to shoot, Myers with a great second half, Leino actually doing something, getting more out of Stafford. It is reasonable to expect these things to turn around.
I think the fear around Sabres fan is this not a team built for the playoffs. I think they get another chance to prove themselves this April and then you decided whether current crop can cut it.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 11:29 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

You are what your record says you are.

My concern with the Sabres right now is while they are getting results, are they a team that can be successful in the playoffs?

I'm worried that this team is built more for the regular season than the playoffs.

But, we have a long ways to go to find out.

It will also be interesting to see how different this team looks 12 months from now after offseason number two in the Pegula era.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 11:39 AM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
I'm worried that this team is built more for the regular season than the playoffs.
It's worth noting that the type of defenses we'll see more often in the playoffs have stymied us to a point so far this year (ie, Tampa's 1-3-1 trap). Granted, we weren't really playing a playoff style defensive game either of those two games, but I think that's the big question on most fan's minds - can we succeed in the playoffs?

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 11:41 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Scoreboard at the end of the game is what truely matters. 11-6 so far.

Sure we can pull our hair, scream expletives, wring our hands, at plays, players, calls, and non-calls and be hyper critical of every minute of every game. And that is part of fanaticism. But at the end ... Scoreboard.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 11:41 AM
Pechorin

I'm critical of them because I want to see the team not resemble any of the two that have been knocked out in the first round of the playoffs the last couple seasons.

They need to forge a new identity on the ice. I know - new owner, new locker room, new players, new hope, but I will continually question the leadership coming from the players that have been here for five plus seasons. And our big money acquisitions haven't done much to instill faith they'll be the impetus for altering the Sabres identity. Here's looking at you Ville Leino.

Granted, I have more faith now than when Golisano was owner that effective changes can be made to the roster before the deadline.

Pechorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 05:10 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8haggard9 View Post
If someone with no prior knowledge of this season came on and read the boards, they would think we were flopping around last place. In reality though, we have the most wins in the league.

Yes, I believe many of us our being too hard on the team. Pegula increased expectations tenfold.

Out of 11 victories ... 2 have come to teams that would be in the Playoffs today.

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 05:20 PM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
Would you rather have the Sharks year in and year out(regular season winners and playoff failures) or the Bruins of last year?

This team feels like a regular season team. I know I'm not alone. They will get eaten alive if they don't straighten themselves out. Sure, there's a lot of the season to go, but before you know it, a slump happens and then they're middling around and the playoffs appear. Is it so wrong to want them to be good?

enrothorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 06:02 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

The fans haven't been able to develop any new trend and the voice of reason has been unconscionably outspoken about the organization. Beauty is a disguise and there is a difference between i like and i don't like and what is and what isn't. These trends of what isn't are awfully manipulative.

Last edited by ImpressedDAHagent: 11-15-2011 at 06:15 PM.
ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 06:21 PM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

Quote:

I'm going to step outside my typical reasonable optimism for a moment and disagree to a point. When Pegula came in, they brought in seasoned, veteran players, a revamped support staff, and a host of new expectations. I don't think Darcy and Co. saw this as a building year in creating a championship team - I truly believe they intended to go out and win the whole damn thing THIS season. And with those increased expectations comes additional scrutiny. It's not good enough anymore to say they're building toward a title; they want to compete NOW.

They're doing well all things considered, sitting in 2nd in the East. But can anyone really say they look like a championship team? I can't, not yet anyway. I think they'll gel as the season goes on and get even better. But right now, this is a second round team. ECF if they get lucky. Not a Cup team, which is what they want to be.

Expectations are high. Justifiably so. And so far they have not lived up to those expectations.

HarryNealesGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 06:40 PM
skibum

I agree with the OP. The Sabres are a winning team. They just won five out of their last six, in fact! No, they are not very tough among the top 6, but it's a long season and if you run around throwing punches all the time you're not going to survive until the playoffs. Maybe they're more concerned with scoring goals? God forbid.

I'm getting to the point where I don't like this board very much anymore. So much crying and hand-wringing with every loss, and even many of the wins are somehow deemed unworthy. Did you think they would win every game in dominant fashion?

I, for one, am thankful that the current incarnation of the Sabres is a competitive, experienced team with a ton of talent that has no problem scoring goals on most nights. They play a very exciting game and even in their losses give us a pretty good show.

skibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 07:13 PM
SublimeNightmare

Send a message via Yahoo to SublimeNightmare
Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post
Would you rather have the Sharks year in and year out(regular season winners and playoff failures) or the Bruins of last year?
I think we need to stop giving Boston so much credit. The cup winning team last year was good but not leaps and bounds better then others. They had plenty of bounces go their way and were remarkably healthy (and got healthier) as the playoffs went on... Comparing a cup winning team to one that did not win is apples and oranges.

Remember, the Canadiens and Lightning were about an inch from eliminating them. The Canadiens had about 5 periods of OT against the B's in that series. As close as it gets. Tampa scored 21 goals in that series and lost game 7, 0-1.

Bruins were 11-5-1 through 16 last season.

SublimeNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote