11-12-2011, 10:15 PM
wpgallday1960

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
We lost a game!!!!!
The sky is falling!!!!!
Fold the team!!!!!!
That's why I hesitate to come on these boards after a Jets loss. So much panic so early in the season form the fanbase.
Talk of firing Noel, trade a bunch of players,etc. Just no patience at all.

Old
11-12-2011, 10:20 PM
Wpg Jets Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgallday1960 View Post
That's why I hesitate to come on these boards after a Jets loss. So much panic so early in the season form the fanbase.

It's annoying isn't it.

Old
11-12-2011, 10:21 PM
WPGNYRFan

vCash: 1700
It's also not fun to not be able to say anything negative about the team without someone saying "oh noes, the sky is falling". That get's pretty old fast. If you don't want to read the analysis from the fans, good or bad, don't join these threads.

Old
11-12-2011, 10:33 PM
peg

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDz View Post
There are 65 games left.

To get to 96 points, they need to win 40+ of those games.

So after going 5-9-3 in the first 17, it is "somewhat unrealistic" to think they will go 40-20-5 in the remainder of the season.

I think at 5% you might be giving too much credit. If they actually manage to come close, Noel deserves the Coach of the Millennium award, never mind Coach of the Year.

I think about the best we can hope for, since the playoffs are pretty well out of the picture now, is a decent effort (which hasn't been on offer too much so far).
Over the past 6 years the team making the final playoff spot had the following points:
Rangers 93
Canadiens 88
Canadiens 93
Bruins 94
Islanders 92
Lightening 92

To get to 93 points we will need to be 15 games over 500 the rest of the way. That would be something like 35 - 20 - 10. That sounds like a tall order, but remember with the crazy point system in the NHL, it really means that we have to win 35 games in regular time or overtime and lose 30 games in regular time or overtime.

Call me the eternal optimist, but having a beaten up team playing almost all of its games on the road so far, I don't think a healthy, rested team with a heavily weighted home schedule achieving a 35 - 30 record the rest of the way is out of the question.

GO JETS GO

Old
11-12-2011, 10:34 PM
Wpg Jets

Send a message via Yahoo to Wpg Jets
well at least lawless can come in a defend buff! I mean really his rant this week that we need to allow time for him to develop into a dman is BS! he lacks the critical instincts to be a nhl dman and he can play 50 years and will always lack them. he does possess the frame to crash boards and cause problems down low as a forward!!!!! ladd has always been a great 3rd line energy guy on carolina ad chicago he's being asked to be too much for this team a captain and a offensive leader. wheeler is being wheeler i have watched all but maybe 10 of the bruins games over the last 5years he is playing exactly like he did in boston difference being he doesn't have bergie or ryder to bank pucks off of him. he is a big body who far too often knocked off the puck. pavs is playing great and i'm eating crow over my early season bashing of him. bogo is good and stuart is a warrior, we need some of our regular dmen back soon.we lack more energy guys mcardle brings zip! to this team. stapleton is a great ahl guy but it's time our gm and coach realize there are miles difference between the nhl and ahl.

Old
11-12-2011, 10:34 PM
wpgallday1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPGNYRFan View Post
It's also not fun to not be able to say anything negative about the team without someone saying "oh noes, the sky is falling". That get's pretty old fast. If you don't want to read the analysis from the fans, good or bad, don't join these threads.
If you read my post it has nothing to do with commenting on the poor play, it's the drastic over reaction - asking for wholesale changes & the like. I'm just as disappointed in the poor play of late as much as anybody.

Old
11-12-2011, 10:36 PM
Wpg Jets

Send a message via Yahoo to Wpg Jets
Quote:
you are mostly right except everyone treats this team like a expansion team ! they moved from another city they are almost the same team as last year, and it's too bad they are playing last year. want to ***** this team look at film from the last 3 seasons. enough of the passes and wait and see, they are what they are.

Old
11-12-2011, 11:15 PM
Potrzebie

vCash: 112
Anyone else watch the game in surround? In the rear right speaker I swear I could hear Beyak doing his radio broadcast being picked up in the CBC announcers' mics.

And what's the deal with the PA announcer in Columbus? No wonder the crowd looked so sparse. Who could stand that 41 times a year?

Old
11-12-2011, 11:27 PM
chancemc

Quote:
Originally Posted by peg View Post
Over the past 6 years the team making the final playoff spot had the following points:
Rangers 93
Canadiens 88
Canadiens 93
Bruins 94
Islanders 92
Lightening 92

To get to 93 points we will need to be 15 games over 500 the rest of the way. That would be something like 35 - 20 - 10. That sounds like a tall order, but remember with the crazy point system in the NHL, it really means that we have to win 35 games in regular time or overtime and lose 30 games in regular time or overtime.

Call me the eternal optimist, but having a beaten up team playing almost all of its games on the road so far, I don't think a healthy, rested team with a heavily weighted home schedule achieving a 35 - 30 record the rest of the way is out of the question.

GO JETS GO
i agree somewhat. a week ago everyone here was going crazy about how well the road trip was and how we might have a shot at the playoffs etc etc. just the ebbs and flows of the year. do i think we have playoff potential? prolly not but were def. not out of it already. we win these 3 home games this week, and i think we have a shot too were right back in it and planning the post season partys again.

lots of home games coming up lets see where we are after all those home games in december. of course if we lose 3 4 or 5 more in a row were ****ed and can plan the fail for nail draft party

Old
11-12-2011, 11:41 PM
Vapour Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg Jets View Post
ladd has always been a great 3rd line energy guy on carolina ad chicago he's being asked to be too much for this team a captain and a offensive leader.
Did you forget he had 29 goals and 30 assists last year?

In the modern NHL, that's fairly good production. He's capable of duplicating that production, and that's what we expect. How many teams have 3rd line guys that put up nearly 60 pts?

Currently, we have numerous players that are performing far below previous seasons.

Old
11-12-2011, 11:52 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapour Trails View Post
Was that not the most boring broadcast ever? I mean the hockey was enough to slit your wrist, but then they combine it with the most dreadfully boring duo of commentators.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersUlfBobby View Post
I was thinking that all night. Like that game was being played at a funeral.
Not sure of you guys are talking about the Columbus feed on centre Ice or not but that was painful. I am on holidays in Arizona and was busy keeping my 3 year old son busy so i missed the live feed. The good news about the game is I PVR'd it and didn't have to endure the Jackets broadcast team.....wow it was painful. The entire broadcast was really lacking including the highlight package of the kids game between periods (you can't make this stuff up).

Our PP is missing Toby badly.....bit of a head scratcher that we were flat tonight? I figured the game was a coin toss pick em type but I was defiantly surprised both teams lacked energy?

Old
11-13-2011, 12:13 AM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potrzebie View Post
Anyone else watch the game in surround? In the rear right speaker I swear I could hear Beyak doing his radio broadcast being picked up in the CBC announcers' mics.

And what's the deal with the PA announcer in Columbus? No wonder the crowd looked so sparse. Who could stand that 41 times a year?
Beyak or another broadcaster was coming through loud and clear along with the crappy play by play and commentary by Millen on the HNIC broadcast. Pretty quiet rink in Columbus for supposedly 15,581.

Old
11-13-2011, 12:17 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapour Trails View Post
Currently, we have numerous players that are performing far below previous seasons.
This.

There's got to be a reason for this. Wheeler, Little, Ladd, Kane, Byfuglien, etc. have all underperformed at times this season.

Noel is certainly part of the problem, but I think the players are responsible as well. I get that they're playing in a new city in front of new fans, but this is getting embarrassing.

Old
11-13-2011, 12:25 AM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 1989
On the old Jets (1995) Ladd would be comparable to a player like Mike Eastwood.

Wheeler to Chad Kilger.

Old
11-13-2011, 12:38 AM
KingSalamon

Wow... saw the second and third periods and the players were limp out there... no jump. There'd be the odd rush but no finish.

I wonder how Buff felt when he was stuck on the two on one when Stuart pinched? He did a great attempt at breaking it up but they still got it through for a goal. Maybe that will open his eyes that his pinching needs to tone down.

I love the team but I expect to get my money's worth when I watch them... I'm going to the Tampa game and I'll cheer like mad but if the **** the bed on Monday with a lack of effort... I don't know... I may have to get out the paper bag! (I missed the Florida game but did they really boo the Jets off the ice at the end of the game?)

Old
11-13-2011, 01:14 AM
Hammer Slammer

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Quote:
There may be a few people talking of firing and trading, but it's not rampant all over the boards. It's one thing to say blow up the team after a few games, it's another to be criticizing the team.

What did most of us say when the season was beginning? If the players put 100% of their effort into every game, but lost a bunch of their games, we'd be fine with that. I didn't see that tonight. Nobody really came to play. That's why some people are pissed off, and rightfully so. Perhaps they shouldn't be going to such extremes.

Some people are having fun just watching a team from Winnipeg play in the NHL, others (myself included) would like to not waste 3 hours of my night seeing our guys skate around half-assed and put the puck in each other's skates.

You are allowed to have your honeymoon, but these are messages boards for discussion. We're allowed to criticize our team. That's one of the beautiful things about having a team back, we have another sport to ***** and moan about.

Sorry about the long-winded post.

11-13-2011, 01:44 AM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

i'm starting to think this isn't a very good team.

but really, why should we have thought any differently?

this was not a good team last year and what did TNSE do in the off season to address any of the shortcomings?.....the only thing they really did was install a minor league coach and management team.

it appeared to me all summer that they cared more about improving their AHL franchise than they did the NHL one and that seems to be how it is playing out....it was nothing but 'good depth signings'...and now everyone is hoping a 3rd liner at best, fehr is going to be the saviour...we all saw him score 2 goals in the winter classic, but we are not getting ovechkin.

i really think it is the coaching...noel himself alluded to there being some push back from certain players with regards to the things he is trying to do....there is clearly something wrong...our 'best' players are invisible.

and seriously, why is mcardle still playing in the NHL?.....anyone else see that shift where for 60 seconds he floated around hunched over like he was winded, leaning on his stick across his shin pads?....get rid of him...he is not an NHL player....are we that thin in st johns?...or does TNSE not want to hurt their chances at the calder cup they never won with the moose?

woodballs, i don't get you....does winning, or at least showing an effort mean nothing to you?...what is the point of being a sports fan if you don't care about the results?...this isnt the third game of the year anymore...we are far enough along in the season...and with 3 tough games coming up that criticism is warranted....

personally, i am financially and emotionally invested in this team enough that 5 game losing streaks and heartless performances upset me....how far into the season do we have to wait until criticism is justified?

Last edited by peter sullivan: 11-13-2011 at 02:06 AM.
Old
11-13-2011, 02:04 AM
PitbulI

This was a disaster of a team last season and at least for the next season or two, this will be a Thrasher team being rebuilt. I say in 3 seasons, remnants of the Thrashers and that mentality will be gone from the team.

Tonight the Jets played slow and they were just horrible. If they play Tampa Bay like that on Monday, it's going to be a long night with a lot of angry fans.

Old
11-13-2011, 03:23 AM
JetsAlternate

Winnipeg inherited one of the worst teams in the league. Why should anybody have expected different from this team? Team management essentially kept the status quo from last year.

In fact, the Thrashers did more every off-season to alter their lineup than True North did. Change needs to be made or we should continue to expect the same. Anybody who has watched the Thrashers for the past several years will know this is the norm. This is the team you have, and the results won't change until some major changes are made.

Old
11-13-2011, 06:53 AM
AF1982
Jet(s) Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsAlternate View Post
Winnipeg inherited one of the worst teams in the league. Why should anybody have expected different from this team? Team management essentially kept the status quo from last year.

In fact, the Thrashers did more every off-season to alter their lineup than True North did. Change needs to be made or we should continue to expect the same. Anybody who has watched the Thrashers for the past several years will know this is the norm. This is the team you have, and the results won't change until some major changes are made.
The Thrashers/ Jets record in the year 2011 must be dissimilar. Atlanta massively overachieved in the early months of the 2010-11 campaign before the annual January-February tailspin.

Which effect did those "every off-season" moves have? Not a big one. Just don't be blinded by the moves prior to last season. They just lost Kovalchuk and had do something to please those Thrasher fans who still cared. Change is underway e.g. in the player development department. The Winnipeg- St. John's relationship is a far cry from the Thrashers- Wolves version.

Old
11-13-2011, 07:19 AM
DarthMonty
Jurassic Park baby

'll join the fray - I believed at the start of the season that the Jets, realistically, would be in the hunt for a play-off spot, but would probably come up short by the end of the season. To think that the team that was inherited from Atlanta would suddenly improve enough to claim a spot in the top half of the league was, at best, delusional.

I went into the season, with both my heart and cash on the line, with the opinion that if the Jets gave it their all and competed every game that I would be satisfied to see the team progress and improve and set the table for the following year. I was, and am, willing to be patient, knowing that this past season was a huge upheaval for the players, and with a new coach, systems and organization, that they would take some time to develop. I am not willing to be so patient when the players mail it in. Even though we've only seen seventeen games so far the last three games appear to be more indicative of the team's true essence, and if so, the Jets have taken a big step backwards into the Yakupov sweepstakes.

The sky is not falling, far from it, but I think that fans of hockey and of the Jets have every right to be hyper critical at this juncture - the entire team has earned our scorn and derision. If I had employees doing their jobs as bad as some of the Jets, they would be sanctioned and possibly demoted, and some might even be gone.

It's time for the coaching staff to re-evaluate their methods and make the players more accountable, and if that means sitting some big earners, so be it. I'd far rather watch Glass, Slater and Thorburn than Byfuglien, Wheeler and Ladd - at least they do their best (most games, but even they looked like they were rather disinterested last night).

Noel seems to be able to identify the problems, but doesn't appear to be getting the message through to the players. Is he a NHL level coach? No, but then neither were any NHL coach at the beginning of their careers. He needs to learn, just like the players. I'll give the team until the end of the season, but if there's no improvement in their play, and there's no passion and effort, I will join the queue calling for coaching changes.

I'm very happy just to have a team, but I also expect them to show up at every game.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by DarthMonty: 11-13-2011 at 07:21 AM. Reason: brutal typing skills
Old
11-13-2011, 08:10 AM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Ok 2 cents time for me as well since it appears to be confessional Sunday.

I have no problem with the variance in crowd reaction. Everyone has different tolerance levels and expectations.

For me it's about effort period. if they are bringing it I am happy win or lose and if they aren't then I am far less tolerant. I also realize within an 82 game schedule there is an ebb and flow and even wildly overpaid people aren't going to bring it every night.

The last two games have been a disaster and people have a right to be pi55ed off.

I look at this as a rebuilding or building process and the only real answer is patience without mortgaging our future. We have a bottom 10 team talent wise and our most talented scoring forwards are 21 or under. I don't want to blow it up. We are one more solid draft class and about two sesons away from competeting for a deep run in the playoffs unless we panic

Give me effort when i come to watch "for now" and I will be happy since just scraping into the playoffs doesn't do anything for me and is not a short term goal I find attractive.

THERE ARE NO QUICK FIXES for this group that gets us to where I want to be. That being said the pursuit of continuos improvement is manditory as is the will and effort to compete night in night out

Old
11-13-2011, 10:20 AM
Denny 204

This is what happens when you don't spend money on your roster. TNSE just spent 160 Mill plus to bring a team back though so I can understand the lack of spending at the moment. Still, this team is terrible.

Old
11-13-2011, 10:29 AM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
^^^ What they should have done was spend a little money on depth, nothing more. But Chevy had very little idea of what he had on this team so he decided to sit by and wait and watch. Now because of this he looks like a worse GM then he really is. I don't really fault him for that. What bothers me is that we have guys that are borderline NHL players at best and appear to be doing little to fix that. It says to me, whether that's what they are really doing or not, that they would rather see this team do bad and get a high pick then try and be a competitive team. You have the youth in play already. Why you wouldn't want to build around that I don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF1982 View Post
The Thrashers/ Jets record in the year 2011 must be dissimilar. Atlanta massively overachieved in the early months of the 2010-11 campaign before the annual January-February tailspin.

Which effect did those "every off-season" moves have? Not a big one. Just don't be blinded by the moves prior to last season. They just lost Kovalchuk and had do something to please those Thrasher fans who still cared. Change is underway e.g. in the player development department. The Winnipeg- St. John's relationship is a far cry from the Thrashers- Wolves version.
They underachieved as well. I mean look at the talent that is on the team, and then look at their record since the turn of the new year. It doesn't even come close to adding up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPGNYRFan View Post
There's a difference between an "analysis" and random ranting about whatever. You'll figure out in time who just rants, and who will give an objective opinion. There is a lot of ranting on here and knee jerk reactions.

Last edited by BigTuna49: 11-13-2011 at 10:36 AM.
Old
11-13-2011, 10:46 AM
theonlywhiteout

What's really frustrating to watch as a Jets fan is that the Jets aren't just losing, they're losing and not giving a full effort. Some players are also playing incredibly selfish, such as Byfuglien. Perhaps our biggest weakness and failure this year, however, is that none other than Kyle Wellwood is our leading scorer.

Ladd, Little, Kane. The lack of scoring from these players is why we are, in reality, the worst team in the NHL right now.

Let the fail for Nail begin.

Closed Thread