Closed Thread

Old
11-13-2011, 12:03 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSalamon View Post
(I missed the Florida game but did they really boo the Jets off the ice at the end of the game?)
They may have said that on TV but I was at the game and didn't hear any booing. It's a big arena though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter sullivan View Post
and seriously, why is mcardle still playing in the NHL?.....anyone else see that shift where for 60 seconds he floated around hunched over like he was winded, leaning on his stick across his shin pads?
He had blocked a shot. He was hurt. He could barely move and he still made a play after that. Give him some credit. McArdle is not very good but he's at least putting in the effort.

Old
11-13-2011, 12:22 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1200
This team is simply being killed by the plethora of injuries on D. Insert Hainsey, Meech, and Enstrom and subtract Flood, Festerling, and Postma and you've a much better squad, one that wins games like the one last night. Patience is required for now; no quick fix is available for the above.

Old
11-13-2011, 12:46 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Alien Hockey Wizard

vCash: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
Patience is required for now; no quick fix is available for the above.
Patience!? But this is the internet!

Does anyone else remember the 9 win season? I do - that's why I have a ton of patience - the front office will figure out what they've got, what they can fix, and what they need, IMHO.

While I can understand being beaten by better teams, I certainly don't / won't forgive the team for not putting in a full 60 minutes though - lose while expending maximum effort, and I'm OK with that. Unfortunately, that hasn't been the case over the last couple.

Old
11-13-2011, 01:01 PM
thed00d

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
This team is simply being killed by the plethora of injuries on D. Insert Hainsey, Meech, and Enstrom and subtract Flood, Festerling, and Postma and you've a much better squad, one that wins games like the one last night. Patience is required for now; no quick fix is available for the above.
Flood has been great thus far. Has more goals that Wheeler does in his short time up here.

Old
11-13-2011, 01:10 PM
tbcwpg

I think Meech may not improve the team much, but Enstrom and Hainsey certainly would. Fehr coming back would help too

Old
11-13-2011, 01:16 PM
DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

I m just happy to have a team to complain about.......

Old
11-13-2011, 01:23 PM
Tintin's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEANYOUNGBLOOD17 View Post
I m just happy to have a team to complain about.......
Yeah, I agree. The return of the Jets is so huge for a lot of reasons and, as lots of posters have already noted, Chevy is a good GM and Chipman is a great owner so they will def build up.

Losing Enstrom is going to hurt this team, but I wish they would play like they give a damn. It is efforts like last night as well as at home against the Panthers where I can see why some people are jumping on the Fail for Nail bandwagon.

Old
11-13-2011, 01:25 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

vCash: 50
No doubt the team laid a giant egg last night. Disturbing considering they were called out by their coach. Instead of fighting, a bunch of guys folded up the tent.

The problem continues to be: Ladd Wheeler Little and Byfuglien. It was inevitable that burmi antro and Welly were gonna cool off. Ladd just takes bad penalties, Wheeler is a turnover machine that has no idea when to shoot the pick, and little tries hard enough but gets nothing done offensively. Byfuglien is a complete drain on this team and it has to be wearing negatively on the rest of the players. Its almost like having a bad goalie, you're constantly behind the eight ball. Until there is improvement from these 4 we are going to keep losing.

Old
11-13-2011, 01:35 PM
Tintin's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
Byfuglien is a complete drain on this team and it has to be wearing negatively on the rest of the players. Its almost like having a bad goalie, you're constantly behind the eight ball. Until there is improvement from these 4 we are going to keep losing.
It's almost surreal watching Buff turn it over for a 2 on 1 for the other team. Like a shockingly high frequency of it happening. I get the sense he has the swagger and leadership to lead the charge so here's hoping. But it makes me think of Bogosian and how he is playing a stricter game (whether his design or the coaches IDK) and playing very well. I wonder if Bogo is like "wtf man?how do you get away with that?"

Old
11-13-2011, 01:46 PM
GrandChelems

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
On the old Jets (1995) Ladd would be comparable to a player like Mike Eastwood.

Wheeler to Chad Kilger.
Disagree about Ladd, but funny to see someone else mention that about Wheeler. Also reminds me of watching Kilger live.

Old
11-13-2011, 02:39 PM
WPGNYRFan

vCash: 149
We didn't boo the team off the ice at the end of the game, it was after about 35 minutes that the boos started. They stopped once the Jets appeared to be trying again.

Old
11-13-2011, 02:55 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

I still don't support the splitting up of Slater and Thorburn.

While Jim did have a few chances last night, he doesn't seem to have the chemistry with his new linemates that he had with Thor, and Chris is basically invisible out there. We need to stop splitting up lines that were working, like Wellwood, Antro and Burmi, as well as the GST line.

Wellwood-Antropov-Burmistrov
Ladd-Little-Kane
Glass-Slater-Thorburn
McArdle-Stapleton-Wheeler

Is what I would like to see. Welly has obviously still been good but the combo of those 3 together is the best and most consistent offense we've had on this team this year, and I believe Kane is dragging the line down with his shoot first mentality. Kane could be a better fit with Little and Ladd as they play a more straight forward drive hard game where I think Evander would be best served.

Old
11-13-2011, 03:52 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Alien Hockey Wizard

vCash: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
Ladd-Little-Kane
Glass-Slater-Thorburn

Is what I would like to see. Welly has obviously still been good but the combo of those 3 together is the best and most consistent offense we've had on this team this year, and I believe Kane is dragging the line down with his shoot first mentality. Kane could be a better fit with Little and Ladd as they play a more straight forward drive hard game where I think Evander would be best served.
Agree 100% - Antro and Burmi went cold when Wellwood was moved, and I think two physical players on the 2a/b line with Little will help open up some space for Little to do his thing.

Old
11-13-2011, 04:19 PM
Stej
Good Canadian Kid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
I still don't support the splitting up of Slater and Thorburn.

While Jim did have a few chances last night, he doesn't seem to have the chemistry with his new linemates that he had with Thor, and Chris is basically invisible out there. We need to stop splitting up lines that were working, like Wellwood, Antro and Burmi, as well as the GST line.

Ladd-Little-Kane
Glass-Slater-Thorburn

Quoted for truth.

Kane is killing that line; not because he's not a good player, but because his style doesn't mesh with Antro and Burmi. Wellwood sees the ice better and shares the puck better which works well with that line.

Replace McArdle with Klingberg and I think this is probably the best line up we could ice until Fehr gets back.

Last edited by Stej: 11-13-2011 at 04:51 PM.
Old
11-13-2011, 04:52 PM
Warhead77
Jets4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stej View Post
Quoted for truth.

Kane is killing that line; not because he's not a good player, but because his style doens't mesh with Antro and Burmi. Wellwood sees the ice better and shares the puck better which works well with that line.
I agree about Kane.

But also because I don't agree that he's some superstar in the making. Shows none of that, IMO.

Doesn't have a knack for the net nor does he create opportunities.

Old
11-13-2011, 05:51 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Slammer View Post
There may be a few people talking of firing and trading, but it's not rampant all over the boards. It's one thing to say blow up the team after a few games, it's another to be criticizing the team.

What did most of us say when the season was beginning? If the players put 100% of their effort into every game, but lost a bunch of their games, we'd be fine with that. I didn't see that tonight. Nobody really came to play. That's why some people are pissed off, and rightfully so. Perhaps they shouldn't be going to such extremes.

Some people are having fun just watching a team from Winnipeg play in the NHL, others (myself included) would like to not waste 3 hours of my night seeing our guys skate around half-assed and put the puck in each other's skates.

You are allowed to have your honeymoon, but these are messages boards for discussion. We're allowed to criticize our team. That's one of the beautiful things about having a team back, we have another sport to ***** and moan about.

Sorry about the long-winded post.
I totally agree HS. I'm personally in the optimistic camp (though the Columbus game taxed that).

The thing that annoys me and has got to stop is the fanbase turning these threads into who cheers who criticises, who is in the right, who pays what for season tickets and therefore is allowed to be critical and so on.

These threads are about the team, and the games they play, the way they are coached, movement of the players etc. It is NOT about other posters.

If you guys want to talk about whether the positive or negative posters are correct (overreacting, delusional, etc.) , start a thread and keep it respectful, and keep that discussion in there(do not call out individual posters either). In other threads it's spam and will start being treated as such.

11-13-2011, 07:23 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Jets View Post
I agree about Kane.

But also because I don't agree that he's some superstar in the making. Shows none of that, IMO.

Doesn't have a knack for the net nor does he create opportunities.
Kane's only 20 years old. Give him more time then the 15 games you've seen of him.

Old
11-13-2011, 09:09 PM
cws
...in the drink

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF1982 View Post
The Thrashers/ Jets record in the year 2011 must be dissimilar. Atlanta massively overachieved in the early months of the 2010-11 campaign before the annual January-February tailspin.

Which effect did those "every off-season" moves have? Not a big one. Just don't be blinded by the moves prior to last season. They just lost Kovalchuk and had do something to please those Thrasher fans who still cared. Change is underway e.g. in the player development department. The Winnipeg- St. John's relationship is a far cry from the Thrashers- Wolves version.
Last year did somewhat mirror other years regarding the drop-off in play, but the reasons last year were far different than other years. Once ASG got legal control of the team in December, they made it clear that they were pushing for a sale. Management, staff and players knew it; they had no confidence in the owners doing anything to help the team in any way. That is going to effect even the most hardened and dedicated pro; so much uncertainty and working for people who didn't really give a damn about how you perform.
Some of the players said as much. They are, after all, just people and things like this tend to affect confidence and performance.

Even though I haven't seen too many games this year, what I have witnessed is a disjointed and inconsistent game plan. It's like the coaches are trying something new every few games to see if it works, and not implementing a system built to at least take advantage of the strengths of the players. Almost like the coaches are randomly changing ideas, not sticking with a system that the players can grow into as the season goes along.
Maybe I'm wrong, I'll be the first to admit if I am. But if they don't find a system to work in/build towards, and don't motivate the players; this is only the start of the sucking. The Thrashers may have been sub-par last year, but at least they were playing well within their system before ASG collapsed the roof on their heads.

Old
11-13-2011, 09:34 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Noel just isn't fitting. I know people say it's a sky-is-falling type attitude to take, but the team just hasn't looked like an competent NHL at all this year. Have we won a single game by more than 1 goal?

At first I was cutting Noel and the team slack because they've all moved to a brand new city and the team is playing for a brand new coach, but enough is enough. Just look at how Philly performed two years ago after Stevens was fired (made the finals) or NJ after MacLean was fired (almost made the playoffs after spending most of the year as the worst team in the NHL). Even the IceCaps, in a new city under a new coach, are leading the AHL despite losing so many defensemen.

For whatever reason, Noel and this team just don't fit.

Old
11-13-2011, 09:44 PM
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7

vCash: 1125
Glad I missed this game. I managed to watch a little bit of it before I got busy and the commentary was just so damn boring.

Kind of sucks none of the young guys got on the board but games like this will happen unfortunately.

Old
11-13-2011, 10:58 PM
Prot

I still say this team is WAAAaaaaaaaAAAAAy better than they are playing.

I really thought the CBJ's looked slugish, and not capable of skating with the Jets. Unfortunately we didn't show any heart, or hunger for win save for about 4 minutes in the 3rd period.

Playerwise, I love Buff. I really do; I hate to say this but he is killing us. I still love him on the power play, he pilots it well, and uses his reach and body very well. His shot has some serious horsepower and he even hit the net once. But he is devastating with pinch ins, and wild rushes that just don't work.

Speaking of player moves, for a second there I thought Noel was looking quite clever with the Wellwood move. Now I am completely confused with why you would ever move him back? Why? Wellwood isn't a ball of fire but he's a darn smart player. Never takes a penalty and does some beautiful things with the puck... I mean really great play maker here. Why move him back?

The first line is supposed to be Ladd/Little/Wheeler and it was absolutely heartless. Get Wellwood back on there.

Here's hoping they bring heart and soul to the game on Monday.

Old
11-14-2011, 12:10 AM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
I still say this team is WAAAaaaaaaaAAAAAy better than they are playing.

I really thought the CBJ's looked slugish, and not capable of skating with the Jets. Unfortunately we didn't show any heart, or hunger for win save for about 4 minutes in the 3rd period.

Playerwise, I love Buff. I really do; I hate to say this but he is killing us. I still love him on the power play, he pilots it well, and uses his reach and body very well. His shot has some serious horsepower and he even hit the net once. But he is devastating with pinch ins, and wild rushes that just don't work.

Speaking of player moves, for a second there I thought Noel was looking quite clever with the Wellwood move. Now I am completely confused with why you would ever move him back? Why? Wellwood isn't a ball of fire but he's a darn smart player. Never takes a penalty and does some beautiful things with the puck... I mean really great play maker here. Why move him back?

The first line is supposed to be Ladd/Little/Wheeler and it was absolutely heartless. Get Wellwood back on there.

Here's hoping they bring heart and soul to the game on Monday.

i agree completely with this...i like our line up on paper, but i really don't like the heartless and invisible performances by many of our players.

i cant understand what the problem is....they seem disinterested and unorganized.

that is why i go back to the coach...it is the only explanation for so many guys falling short of their potential....it is the biggest change from last year (besides the building they play in)...part of a coach's job is to get the best from his players and for whatever reason noel is not getting an effort from his.

losing is one thing, but playing without heart is quite another....winnipeggers will stand by the team through thick and thin if they appear to be giving their all, no matter what the result......they will hear it quickly though if the effort over the last number of games continues.

the sound you will hear will not be 15004 people chanting oduuuuuya.

Last edited by peter sullivan: 11-14-2011 at 12:15 AM.
Old
11-14-2011, 08:29 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Before the last 2 games, this team was being praised for the way it had shown up to games for most of the season here. For me, that was one of the positives and I read it being noted here by many. It was one of the things that got me most excited with this team. As a whole this season, one of our strengths has been our effort level, the last 2 games won't and shouldn't change that outlook or view completely, but truth be told this team has to get it together here. There may be some things a team is questioned on, but one of them shouldn't be effort, dedication, commitment and doing what it takes to give yourself a chance to win. This is a long and grueling season, and there will be ups and downs. I want the team to show up with a respectable effort every single game just as much as the next guy, and it disappoints me that we haven't the last two games.

Tonight will be a big test for each and every one of those players.

Last edited by Guerzy: 11-14-2011 at 08:49 AM.
Old
11-14-2011, 09:41 AM
Bongo

How many wish Phoenix had moved back instead of the Thrashers?

Old
11-14-2011, 10:04 AM
PaperRockChamp

vCash: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
How many wish Phoenix had moved back instead of the Thrashers?
None. We're okay here.

Closed Thread