HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cole's Plus.... Game Discussion (Pens vs. Canes 11.12.11)

Old
11-12-2011, 10:06 PM
Pancakes

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vodeni View Post
for us that have english as a second language what's zuboving???
I have no idea what he means by Zuboving because Zubov was an awesome powerplay quarterback. I can only assume he means Letang is single handedly messing up the powerplay because Sergei Zubov was on the Penguins for one year and the rumor is they traded him after that year because Lemieux and the rest of the Pens didn't like how he was trying to run the powerplay.

Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 10:06 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Am I the only one who thinks that 10-4-3 isn't that good? I mean, technically that's 10-7.

SCUDeriMISSILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 10:08 PM
Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Frasier Crane View Post
Am I the only one who thinks that 10-4-3 isn't that good? I mean, technically that's 10-7.
Maybe, but I can't think of a win we didn't deserve and at least two of those losses (tonight and against the Caps for example) we should have won the game but ran into a hot goalie who stole it.

Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Cardboard Orpik
Out 4-6 Weeks

+ Staal. Continues to silence the haters. If he can keep playing like this, once Crosby comes back and Malkin heats up a bit more, the 3C system is going to be insanely dangerous.

+ Engelland. Who would have thought this guy would be one of our most consistent d-men in a game?

+ Geno. Yeah, he didn't score but he generated a ton of great chances and got repeatedly robbed by Ward. Against a lesser goalie he got a hat trick tonight. Even on a night we has no luck he still got a nice primary assist on that first Staal goal. He's not on top of his game quite yet but he's still one of the best players out there.

+ Cooke. Fantastic pass to set up Staal on that SH goal and generally just playing great. Reformed Cooke is Best Cooke.

+ Fourth line. Tangradi looks good, Vitale looks great and Adams is Adams. They kept the Canes first line in their own zone for like a minute and a half at one point, that is some serious grinding. I'm loving it.

+ PK. Continues to be excellent. 4/4 and got a SH goal and almost had another one.

= Defense. I know a lot of people are going to **** on them and while they gave up some good chances that the Canes capitalized on, I don't think they were totally atrocious. They held the Canes to 13 SOG in the first two periods (although they gave up just as many in the third) and outside of some brain farts were generally pretty good. Did Carolina ever really get set up during the game? Almost all of their goals were off of odd-man chances or came right after they entered our zone. There were certainly major errors made but they did a lot right too.

- PP. Looked okay a couple of times but that 5-on-3 was awful. We had 5 PP's, gotta convert on at least one of those.

- Johnson. .808 for the night, 21 for 26. He got left out to dry a few times but he gave up softies as well. He cost us the game. Ward sealed it.

Last edited by Cardboard Orpik: 11-12-2011 at 10:15 PM.
Cardboard Orpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

Even: Skinner.. he's a very good player, he's basically a less explosive 18 year old Sid. That "trip" made me shake my head though.

AugustBurnsRed* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 10:10 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
I have no idea what he means by Zuboving because Zubov was an awesome powerplay quarterback. I can only assume he means Letang is single handedly messing up the powerplay because Sergei Zubov was on the Penguins for one year and the rumor is they traded him after that year because Lemieux and the rest of the Pens didn't like how he was trying to run the powerplay.
Zubov refused to shoot the ****ing puck.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 10:10 PM
vodeni

Quote:
Oh.. Thanks, That was way before my time

vodeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 10:11 PM
Mondello
Makin' the scene...

Quote:
Agreed. I do think the Pens can beat anyone when they're up to it--but so can a lot of teams. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, no 87, Z, TK, Rev, etc.

+ their Goalie

- Our goalie.
- Our D (Except 5)

Skinner is pretty damn good, dives like a little girl though.

Mondello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 10:11 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

I really don't understand the Martin-Letang pairing. They've never looked good together. And Orpik looks lost without Letang. Switch 'em up already.

Tangradi looked great along the boards. He's ready for the NHL. No question in my mind.

The third line was awful when they played together (Cooke-Park-Asham). Cooke was good when he wasn't playing with them.

Another minus-2 performance for Paul Martin. This has become a regular occurrence this season.

I absolutely loved the big-bodied presence in the third period of Malkin, Staal, Neal and Tangradi. And Vitale had a solid third, as well.

We're starting to miss Sid now. Please come back next week. Please.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 10:12 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Injured Reserve

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Eh, you could say that about pretty much all the teams with top of the conference records. Philly's 8-7, Rangers are 9-6, Chicago's 10-7, Edmonton's 9-7, etc.

The only teams who would still have good records would be Washington at 10-5, and Dallas at 11-5, if you're converting OT/SO losses into just losses (though I don't know why you'd do that for SO losses, since under the old system they'd be ties, not losses).

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 10:13 PM
66-29-33

Staal is on pace for 40+ goals.

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
mpp9

To anyone saying Staal can't play with Malkin can eat ****. Our best forward tonight in all three zones.

I guess it's a positive that our goalie played like a backup all game, we gave up multiple odd man rushes and we still should have won the game. Malkin had far too many cracks at the net not to bury one.

Ward's pretty good.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MtlPenFan

Stop blaming the pairings. I'm not a fan of them myself, but if there's a knucklehead in each pairing that's going to **** things up, it doesn't matter who they're playing with.

If Orpik's being dumb, and Martin's being dumb, and Letang is being dumb, pairing some of them together isn't going to help.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 10:17 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Stop blaming the pairings. I'm not a fan of them myself, but if there's a knucklehead in each pairing that's going to **** things up, it doesn't matter who they're playing with.

If Orpik's being dumb, and Martin's being dumb, and Letang is being dumb, pairing some of them together isn't going to help.
Chemistry helps, though. And Martin-Letang have none. I like Martin when he's free-forming out there. But he can't be doing that with Letang, because Letang is our best to rush up ice. It's just stupid.

The Orpik-Engelland duo was badly exposed by the Skins and Finns line on Ruutu's second goal. This is easily correctable. Stop forcing the match-up game and place a puck-mover with a stay-at-home type.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 10:19 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Chemistry helps, though. And Martin-Letang have none. I like Martin when he's free-forming out there. But he can't be doing that with Letang, because Letang is our best to rush up ice. It's just stupid.

The Orpik-Engelland duo was badly exposed by the Skins and Finns line on Ruutu's second goal. This is easily correctable. Stop forcing the match-up game and place a puck-mover with a stay-at-home type.
I'm going to give Martin a break on the 4th goal because it was up to Staal to cover for Martin once he pinched. I have no idea why Jordan decided to come over to Letang's side when Letang already had his man.

I see your point, but at the same time, Orpik and Engelland are both stay at home guys, and still Orpik is being just...stupid. Engelland had nothing to do with that second goal, but Orpik again just making a bad play on Skinner along the boards.

**** I hate games like this, I just wish it had ended 3-0 because I wouldn't be as irritated.

Old
11-12-2011, 10:19 PM
vodeni

Gino had 12 shots, most of them really close, unbeleivable that he didn't score

vodeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 10:23 PM
GoCanes2013

Quote:
Ward had a 923 save percentage last year and 4 shutouts. He's a legit good goalie. It's not his fault the Canes are so atrocious defensively. If it weren't for him tonight we might have had 6 or 7 goals, and if it weren't for him in general the Canes would be a lottery pick team with the way they leave their goalies out to dry.
This. There have been too many games when I've felt bad for Cam, even though he hasn't been GREAT for a whole game this year yet, he's working against both teams on the ice much of the time.

Man, what he could do on/for a responsible defensive team.

GoCanes2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 10:23 PM
BrookswasHere44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrolley325 View Post
letang is totally zuboving it out there on the pp
Welcome to my top 5 posters list sir. I love this line! And thanks to Big for clearing it up for those who were confused

BrookswasHere44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 10:25 PM
GroupTherapy

+Geno putting it on net
+Staal dominant in the 3rd
+3rd period comeback

-Sully injured
-Johnny having a Rough night

I like that we fought back, that's something that we didn't see much last year. But we should have had that game once we tied it up

GroupTherapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 10:29 PM
JTG

Geno is not very good defensively.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 10:30 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Geno is not very good defensively.
May as well move him to wing

Old
11-12-2011, 10:32 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroupTherapy View Post
+Geno putting it on net
+Staal dominant in the 3rd
+3rd period comeback

-Sully injured
-Johnny having a Rough night

I like that we fought back, that's something that we didn't see much last year. But we should have had that game once we tied it up
Park on the same PK Staal scored should have went in, Malkin on his 1732784793598 chances should have went in. I'd say BJ, the Letang-Martin pair, Picard, and failed chances to score goals cost us the game. Instead of 7-8 goals we only got 3. Instead of allowing 1-2, we allowed 5. **** happens, BJ will bounce back hopefully, he used to be a number 1 goalie afterall.

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 10:33 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
May as well move him to wing
Can't. Staal is an offensive sped

Old
11-12-2011, 10:33 PM
nTsplnk*

Malkin is awful defensively.

btw what happened to Sully????

nTsplnk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 10:35 PM
JTG

I want to know what the hell happened to Martin. He looked lost for portions of this game.