HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs Win!!! 2-1 in OT

Old
11-13-2011, 08:06 AM
Craig71

vCash: 500
The biggest difference in Desharnais tonight was his wingers. he is a creative guy

and was able to do that tonight with the space afforded to him by playing with Cole

and Pacioretty. He is too small to be a fourth liner and I hope he can remain playing

with these guys, not because I love this guy but because it works for the team.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 08:08 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

It's all about finding something better. Until Eller proves he's top 6, Desharnais is better at that position than him. And clearly more deserving then Gomez. Might not be your ideal 2nd line centerman for some but with Cole and MaxPac, he's doing a good job and his size, while still noticeable at times, those guys makes up for it in some way. Yes, if we can find better elsewhere, go for it. But we're not. Until then, he's your #2 centerman.

Eller is fun to watch. Still totally unproven offensively. Younger than DD so it's all about progression. Something Gomez has stopped doing....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 08:18 AM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
It's all about finding something better. Until Eller proves he's top 6, Desharnais is better at that position than him. And clearly more deserving then Gomez. Might not be your ideal 2nd line centerman for some but with Cole and MaxPac, he's doing a good job and his size, while still noticeable at times, those guys makes up for it in some way. Yes, if we can find better elsewhere, go for it. But we're not. Until then, he's your #2 centerman.

Eller is fun to watch. Still totally unproven offensively. Younger than DD so it's all about progression. Something Gomez has stopped doing....
Eller gets the tougher assignments defensively already. He is the 2nd line center.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 08:24 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
Eller gets the tougher assignments defensively already. He is the 2nd line center.
No. He gets what the 3rd line usually made of good 2-way players are all about. And he gets plenty of it 'cause he's reliable defensively. But that's because Martin system rolls the lines. Yet, Desharnais is centering Cole and MaxPac. Who was Eller centering again? You can't say Eller is a 2nd line centerman playing on the 3rd line. You either are on it or not.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 08:35 AM
onice

Quote:
Desharnais is better at that position than him. And clearly more deserving then Gomez.
I'm using your post because you seem to be one of the few who isn't buying into the cool aide about Gomez.

DD has surpassed Gomez. Yes he might get occasionally knocked down and yes sometimes he gets shoved around but he has the best vision and the best hockey sense of any player on this team. Also what player on this team has no flaw? I see Gionta get flung around like a rag doll 2 or 3 times a game. No one complains he's weak.

DD rarely makes bone head plays like Gomez did on the PP. And that wasn't the only mistake leading to the Nashville goal. A few seconds earlier Gomez from the side of the Predator net goes to pass to the d-man, fluffs the pass and just watches the Nashville d-man pick it up and skate into the Habs zone, leading to the faceoff which resulted in the goal.

Then in over time he made that dumbass pass across the Predator goal when not one hab player was within 20 feet of the play. That resulted in a two on one which the predators screwed up. You rarely see DD make those mistakes. I counted Gomez making 8 pass attempts. Only two landed on a Habs stick. The other 6 went straight onto an opposing player.

Right now I'm ecstatic with DD between Patches & Cole. DD has shown more than Gomez. As for the lame excuses that it was his first game back, that might affect Gomez's stamina but it shouldn't affect his play selection and that's what I really dislike about Gomez. He has a playbook from 10 years ago and insists on playing that way even though it doesn't work anymore.

I'm wishing for the day at the end of this year that Gauthier trades him and gets a prospect centreman. Despite the fact that I dislike Gomez as a hockey player, I know the Habs will have 1 or 2 center men go down during the year and they will need someone to fill in. The problem with that is if Gauthier keeps Gomez around Martin will only be tempted to play Gomez as a 1st line center man.

Last edited by onice: 11-13-2011 at 08:45 AM.
onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 08:55 AM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie007 View Post
budaj reminds me of halak...relatively small goalie but has quick legs. potential replacement for price when its time to trade carey.
Agreed. Might as well trade Max-Pac too, cause we gots Palushaj.

sarcasm smiley

Last edited by SB164: 11-13-2011 at 09:09 AM.
SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 09:11 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Actually, the PK has recovered from its rough start, and is now 9th in the league. This is not really surprising. The Habs were, and are, the very best team in the league at limiting shots against on the PK (34.7 shots per 60 minutes -- a full three shots less than Philly, the runner up, and almost certainly unsustainably good) but had given up a few goals on really good shots and bad luck play. This happens in small samples, but in the long run, shot volume drives special team success -- since the Habs have good goaltending and ridiculously low PK shot rates, it was inevitable the PK efficiency would become better.

Same thing applies on the PP -- long term, shot volume drives success. Montreal is currently third in PP shot production at 59.4 shots per 60 minutes (contrast that with their PK rate!). Their shooting percentage has been ridiculously bad -- 4.4%, which is not only worse than anyone else on the PP, it's worse than anyone else 5-on-5, too! Needless to say, that won't last -- eventually pucks will start going in at a more normal rate and because of their shot volume, the Habs will rocket up the PP charts just like their PK did.

As for their five-on-five, they had already improved a great deal last season, so what we're seeing here is a continuation of that progress. They are a fair bit better 5-on-5 than last year, but especially, their 5-on-5 shooting percentage was abysmal last year. This year, like shooting percentage usually does, it went back to normal. And so we're seeing a lot more 5-on-5 goals for, and since Montreal was already very good defensively 5-on-5...

Yep, that means we could conceivably end up with a team with really good 5-on-5, really good PP, and really good PK. We're already at 2 out of 3. That is not exactly the worst recipe for success...

And perhaps the scariest part is that this is all happening with PK Subban carrying the defense 5-on-5, aptly seconded by Gorges. The other two pairings are unremarkable at evens. Relying so heavily on a single pairing would normally not be a good thing, except that the other two include some very young players who could easily improve. More importantly, it really makes me wonder what will happens when Andrei Markov comes back and provides the Habs with another top-pair D-man...

In short, despite the team's lackluster-but-improving record, there's very good reasons to be optimistic.
Does JM get any credit? How about Perry Pearn?

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 09:12 AM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
No. He gets what the 3rd line usually made of good 2-way players are all about. And he gets plenty of it 'cause he's reliable defensively. But that's because Martin system rolls the lines. Yet, Desharnais is centering Cole and MaxPac. Who was Eller centering again? You can't say Eller is a 2nd line centerman playing on the 3rd line. You either are on it or not.
Ummm, Cammy, lol

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 09:21 AM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
I have watched every team play this season via NHL Gamecenter LIVE and the Habs are one of more exciting and intelligent teams out there. We are very quick and our defensive system thrives as a result of it. The puck is quickly out of our zone and through the neutral zone. We have trouble when teams put the puck down low on us, but that is one of our only weaknesses. Also, while we do not play an extremely aggressive forecheck, we are easily one of the top counterattack teams in the league. I know some of you questioned whether we would do better in an offensive system and the answer is no. Playing in a defensive system is a much more consistent brand of hockey. If you are playing an offensive system, it is often feast or famine since your club is more liable to take risks.

When Markov comes back and we begin to get healthy, we have one of the deepest and most balanced attacks in the league. Not having Andrei Kostitsyn is actually a big loss for us, because he is a very dangerous playing against other teams third line players.

Thats all I had to say guys. Just realize that we are playing one of the best systems in the NHL right now and our players are buying into it. Martin is not going ANYWHERE.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 09:36 AM
sampollock

nice to see the habs claw back,

would love PG to tinker a bit, and bring a bigger tough grinder, on the wing, to bang bodies,

and ease the role of moen, somewhat

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 10:14 AM
Andy

Great game by DD.

Also one of Cammalleri's better games.

I really like Palushaj.

Budaj: Solid.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 10:29 AM
Xia

Budaj was great! Glad we have a reliable and relatively experienced backup. Desharnais was indeed very good too. Spacek and Subban's penalties had me face-palming, dumb penalties. I thought PK had one of his better games though, his set up on Paces winner was sweet.

Xia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 10:39 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Great game by DD.

Also one of Cammalleri's better games.

I really like Palushaj.

Budaj: Solid.
All solid observations.

I was harsh on starting Budaj but he proved to be up to the task so I'm happy about that. I am really liking the Patches-DD-Cole line, very good tactical decision in my opinion. I really liked the Cammy-Eller-Palushaj line as well, which goes to show you that when you use Palushaj in context with what he can do (offense) he doesn't look too bad at all. That's what is good about our depth right now, we have the ability to draw away from defensive match ups with our talent spread across the lines.. When AK comes back, put him in Palushaj's spot and it could get very interesting. Or you could put him on LW with Pleks and Gionta, and keep AP where he is and put Moen on the 4th line and take a guy like Darche out of the line up.

Either way, it bodes well IMO.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 10:49 AM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan View Post
Max is the reincarnation of John LeClair ...I'll kill the GM who ever trades him.
Gauthier... You'd better get on your horse and sign him Price and PK to 5-7 year deals .... They are our future!
Good comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheroux View Post
Ehh, Gomez wasn't that good. He was directly responsible for the SHG by Weber. Granted he was playing LW so not his usual position, but after Nashville won the draw he skated directly at Suter who was not his man and left Weber wide open.

That's one guy in the league that cannot be left alone no matter how far away from the net he is in your zone.

Other than that, no complaints for the game tonight. Diaz is still learning, that much is obvious.
He made me nervous out there once. Late in the game, he took the puck behind the Nashville net and then centered it out blindly. There was no one there and it went straight to a Nashville player. The Preds broke out easily and had a good scoring chance while Gomez was way out of the play.

But I have to cut him some slack. For the most part, I thought he played pretty well and he had to be a bit rusty.

Last edited by Mike8: 11-13-2011 at 01:48 PM.
HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 11:00 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Desharnais needs to sit out a game or be put on the third line. Right now hes not pulling his weight on any line hes on.
Quote:
What exactly has Desharnais done to "earn" his spot with 2 of our best wingers?
Quote:
Lol ELLER must be psyched to play with two scrubs while Desharnais gets the royal treatment.
Quote:
kid has no future in the nhl
from the pregame thread. eat crow

MasterDecoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 11:10 AM
guest1467

Last games PGT was even worse.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 11:12 AM
MasterD

Quote:
I personnally think it's Cole and Pacioretti "winging" Desharnais, because with smaller, slower players, he sucks, and we have no one else. Eller works magic with Kost and Moen.

MasterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 11:24 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Great game by Budaj and Palashaj.

Palashaj was physical and created chances. Budaj kept us in.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 11:39 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Great game by Budaj and Palashaj.

Palashaj was physical and created chances. Budaj kept us in.
Palushaj also drew a couple of penalties. I really like the kid.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 11:45 AM
ThaDevilGirl

I miss AK.

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 11:48 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
This is what more size up front will do...
4th best team 5 on 5.
That really means that the PP is killing us. Once Plekanec is taken off the point (and into the half-wall) perhaps it will be better.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 12:03 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:

To be honest, Eller has been given either a scrapper or a rookie as a winger since the beginning of the year. Moen with AK and now Cammy/Palushaj since AK's been out.
If Eller is given Cammy and AK, you can expect his line to absolutely dominate.
I'm not knocking on DD, but he was given top wingers right from the beginning of the year. As for Eller, a kid that didn't have a camp, he's played some extremely good hockey. There is no reason to doubt he could outplay DD if given top wingers.

Also, Eller is usually more used at ES than DD. Actually he averages more time there than Gomez, Cole and Cammalleri as well and just one second under MaxPac. So I wouldn't be so quick to say Eller can't handle top 6 opposition.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 12:05 PM
donghabs98

vCash: 284
do you think the randy's have already had a good impact

like i mean gomez 4th like wing?

i don't think JM would ever come up with that idea or pern

donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 12:16 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Preds fan coming in peace.

Just wanted to say how classy the 50-100 Habs fans in attendance were. They represented you well.

On another note, I want to apologize to anyone who was there for the 1 or 2 hooligans that booed during Oh Canada. Believe me, that is NOT what Nashville is about. I hope you don't let one or two idiots change your opinion of Nashville too much.

Anyways, a good, well fought game. It was clean with no injuries, gotta love that at least.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 12:26 PM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
That really means that the PP is killing us.
Ain't that the truth. If the PP was even half better than it is right now this team would probably at least a couple more wins.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote