HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Reactions to the Trap

Old
11-10-2011, 12:26 AM
FlyersCup08

vCash: 500
Reactions to the Trap

I know it was discussed in the GDT, but for those who wanted to continue talking about the 1-3-1 and the way the Flyers handled it / repercussions...

How long until it's proposed to move icing back from the redline to the near blueline?

FlyersCup08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 12:30 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

If one team alone is doing it, whatever. It didn't exactly win them the Cup last year. If other teams begin catching on, then we get to proclaim that TB ruined hockey and a rule change will be needed.

11-10-2011, 12:44 AM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

I think Petey got the point across. It will live in infamy.

I'm sure the league loves that Guy Boucher is rolling a 1-3-1 in front of a crowd of Floridians who are finally coming out to see Stamkos, St. Louis and Lecavalier.

Readyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 01:25 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
I loved what we did. I loved how later on we put players deeper in the natural zone which helped us. I know we didn't win the game. however all this did was expose tactics to the rest of the league.

I do love seeing Tampa's fans saying how smart Boucher is, ohhhh big deal you're running a 1-3-1. Let us not forget, we can also run a trap like system.

I believe this will not be the last time we see a team do this stuff to Tampa.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 01:29 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
I loved what we did. I loved how later on we put players deeper in the natural zone which helped us. I know we didn't win the game. however all this did was expose tactics to the rest of the league. If teams have the lead and Tampa goes into their 1-3-1 just lay back and kill the clock.

I do love seeing Tampa's fans saying how smart Boucher is, ohhhh big deal you're running a 1-3-1. Let us not forget, we can also run a trap like system.

I believe this will not be the last time we see a team do this stuff to Tampa.
It's not the first time, really. It's just never been that dramatic. I have a feeling that the Caps can't wait to try this.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 01:34 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
It's not the first time, really. It's just never been that dramatic. I have a feeling that the Caps can't wait to try this.
I was not aware other teams have done what we did tonight.

I just like how Tampa's fans are screaming at us because we didn't play into their trap. We played it smart and laid back. They didn't break the rules, we didn't break the rules.

Old
11-10-2011, 01:41 AM
TyMy57
Enroth is God

I just saw it on tsn, that is the best thing I have seen the Flyers do. The trap is probably the worst part of hockey, and I think they really embarrassed Tampa tonight. I'll admit I'm a certified Philly hater, and I'm sure other haters are gonna say Philly just made themselves look stupid but they made a point. more teams need to do this and force Tampa to adjust.

TyMy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 01:49 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

That is the point though, we did not look stupid, it made us look smart. Falling into their trap is dumb.

Old
11-10-2011, 01:56 AM
mypunkrock

Honestly, I see the trap being dangerous, only because I'd say "Fellas, strategic turnovers. Rinaldo, as soon as one of them touches the puck, lay in to them. They want to wait around, let's make 'em pay."

I would love it.

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 07:00 AM
Reaper1097

I have never seen anything like this in all the years of watching hockey. It was crazy, but smart on the flyers end in my opinion. And I am not just saying that because I am flyers fan, i am saying because the trap is what ruined hockey for a decade and i think tampa should be embarrassed to play that way. I feel bad for their skilled guys like St. Louis and Stamkos because they will never put up the numbers that they are capable of if they continue this system.

According to Pierre on the broadcast, he was getting texts from players from all over the league and they were burying tampa for not attacking.

I also loved how all the flyers stood up on the bench yelling at the tampa players and basically calling them a pu$$ies. It cracked me up, but I bet the tampa players on the ice were freaking out inside because I am sure they dont want to play that way either...

Reaper1097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 07:20 AM
thelos
Bunk

The 1 guy by the net makes dump-ins hard too.

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 07:44 AM
Mkoll
Inkvisiittori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper1097 View Post
I feel bad for their skilled guys like St. Louis and Stamkos because they will never put up the numbers that they are capable of if they continue this system.
I hate the trap as well, but did they play that system last year though? Because both St. Louis and Stamkos did put up some nice numbers last season.

Mkoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 07:46 AM
thelos
Bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkoll View Post
I hate the trap as well, but did they play that system last year though? Because both St. Louis and Stamkos did put up some nice numbers last season.
yeah but most of that is due to having a great PP. Stamkos had 17 PPG last year

Old
11-10-2011, 07:52 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

We did the same thing last year against them and 1) the refs never blew the whistle and 2) nobody talked about it.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 08:18 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

The trap is crap. We can thank the late Roger Nielson for it and then of course the Devils. It should be an illegal defense period. It denigrates the game. I do not see anything redeeming about that cowardly system. If the league lets them continue it wont be long before Tampa and other teams start planting IED's and decoys on the ice.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 08:36 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
We did the same thing last year against them and 1) the refs never blew the whistle and 2) nobody talked about it.
We didn't do the same exact thing though. It was similar, but last night was way more exaggerated. I was waiting for Pronger to skate a couple feet back away from the puck and say "come and it get *****."

Last year we slowed the game down, and had a forward circle back and try to hit the neutral zone with speed. Last night seem more about making a point.

I feel like Lavy has been fuming over this for a while. I could picture him on the bench, viciously chewing his gum, fiery red face screaming: "Hey Tampa I think you're a bunch of f***in p***ies with balls so small they make your tiny dicks look normal. Come get the puck you pansy a** f***heads!"

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 08:36 AM
ORYX

As embarassing as I thought that was, can you really say to them "hey, btw, you can't play that system"?

What we witnessed was the absolute worst it could get, where a team sits back and waits for the forecheck, while they sit back and wait for the rush.

As much as we all think it sucked, I find it hypocritical to say "you can't play that system, come play ours". Our team was Smart for waiting and not changing our strategy as was theirs, and look who won in the end! Not us.

If other teams start to take this approach of sitting and waiting, then Tampa would be stupid to not change, I'd imagine they would lose fans at the games, television ratings, and the players would start to become disinterested in staying the course. We know that because after it happened once St.Louis said with flare to Boucher "What do you want me to do!" while Jagr complained he could play two games at that pace.

Overall, the 1-3-1 is bad for hockey, but is it really anyones place to tell them they can't play that way and to suggest our systems are better, particularly if they are having success with their system?

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 08:39 AM
thelos
Bunk

1-3-1 is even worse than the devils old trap

Old
11-10-2011, 08:43 AM
MsWoof

I shut the game off part way into the second because it was so ridiculous. Having said that it was sheer brilliance on the part of Boucher. Philly has to be stopped in the early part of the game because they've been scoring first and their 1 line, especially, has been on fire. Plus TB had some significant injuries to deal with, so the best way for them to play is using this system. They limited the Flyers to 16 SOG in 65 minutes of play. I think Boucher is right up there with Fred Shero, Roger Neilson and any other hockey innovator. He thinks outside the box and the end result was 2 points and a VERY low scoring game.

I'm just glad I wasn't at the game because at least with being at home, all I had to do was change the channel. If I were at the game I likely would have stayed.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 08:46 AM
Mkoll
Inkvisiittori

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post
As embarassing as I thought that was, can you really say to them "hey, btw, you can't play that system"?

Overall, the 1-3-1 is bad for hockey, but is it really anyones place to tell them they can't play that way and to suggest our systems are better, particularly if they are having success with their system?
actually yes, it is not unheard of for a sports league to ban certain defenses. A zone defense was illegal for a long time in the NBA.

Mkoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 08:48 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

I actually thought last night was awesome. It's not gonna be like that every game. I enjoy a good chess match, and if that's the way each team wants to play, fine. People are taking this too seriously.

Absolutely no reason to get uptight about this.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 08:50 AM
DUHockey9

This shouldn't be referred to as a trap. A traditional trap, involves at least one forechecker who dictates the direction of their breakout by pressuring. Tampa literally stands still in the neutral zone and does nothing.

It's the sort of tactic teams in college (roller hockey, mind you) pulled against us when they were such garbage teams that they couldn't hang with us, and had to try to resort to gimmicky things.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 08:59 AM
FlyersCup08

What's the rule on intentionally shooting the puck at an opposing player?

I wanted Coburn to just wind up and blast it at St. Louis when he was standing still. "If you're not gonna come get it, I'll just give it to you."

FlyersCup08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 09:14 AM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

the entire league is calling TB a joke, aside from TB & NJ (hmmmmm)

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 09:23 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

I want to point out that this is not a traditional trap, it's an even more dramatic version that pretty much over-emphasizes what the trap is in theory.

I will also point out that during the intermission Jonesy and co. were talking about taking the trapezoid out completely. That would be disastrous if some team played this 1-3-1. That said, not allowing the goalie to go behind the net at all seems like a much better plan.

Then again, without a rule change about players in the neutral zone, we're doomed to either trap hockey or dump and chase hockey forever.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote