HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Owners considering a new league...

Closed Thread

Old
08-27-2004, 12:53 PM
Finkle is Einhorn

vCash: 500
Owners considering a new league...

Sorry if this has been posted....

Link

Old
08-27-2004, 12:56 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Old
08-27-2004, 01:02 PM
Lionel Hutz

Wow, that is one well prepared and well thought out and researched article. Its certainly all the information I need to get familiar with the subject.

Old
08-27-2004, 01:02 PM
WrightOn

GEEZ. Anything but actually solve the problem. Just make a new league and let it decay into sadness.

Old
08-27-2004, 01:04 PM
WrightOn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Hutz
Wow, that is one well prepared and well thought out and researched article. Its certainly all the information I need to get familiar with the subject.
Disgustingly true and comical.
:lol :lol

Old
08-27-2004, 01:05 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

New logo, new league, makes sense.

Old
08-27-2004, 01:13 PM
degroat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrightOn
GEEZ. Anything but actually solve the problem. Just make a new league and let it decay into sadness.
When they formed the new league they would automically institute their desired financial system... much like the WHA did.

Old
08-27-2004, 01:15 PM
Finkle is Einhorn

This just in......the league will be named the XHL, and the Stanley Cup will be re-named "The Big Shiny Trophy At The End." Bertuzzi has dibs on the name "He Hate Me".

Old
08-27-2004, 01:16 PM
DownFromNJ

Another scare tactic. NHLPA says it will hold out for a year, owners say screw you we're going somewhere else, and a CBA is signed on September 14th.

NHLPA would never let this happen, because without the NHL the union is null.

Old
08-27-2004, 01:22 PM
YellHockey*

So the owners form their own new league and the players form their own new league. Which one has more appeal, the one whose biggest feature is that is owned by the same people who owned the NHL or the one whose biggest feature is that its players are the ones who played in the NHL?

Let them both start their own leagues. It would be the best thing for the fans to have two competitive major pro hockey leagues.

Old
08-27-2004, 01:24 PM
WrightOn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stich
When they formed the new league they would automically institute their desired financial system... much like the WHA did.
No, really?!?!? I had no idea!

Old
08-27-2004, 01:24 PM
degroat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRedGold
So the owners form their own new league and the players form their own new league. Which one has more appeal, the one whose biggest feature is that is owned by the same people who owned the NHL or the one whose biggest feature is that its players are the ones who played in the NHL?

Let them both start their own leagues. It would be the best thing for the fans to have two competitive major pro hockey leagues.
The owners have the venues, the team names that fans already identify with, & TV contract.

The league that the players would start would have the same problem that the WHA has as far as not being able to find places to play.

The players will eventually go where the money is.

Old
08-27-2004, 01:25 PM
degroat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrightOn
No, really?!?!? I had no idea!
COOL GUY ALERT!

Old
08-27-2004, 01:26 PM
WrightOn

Quote:
COOL GUY ALERT!
Sarcasm identification Expert!

Old
08-27-2004, 01:27 PM
Puckhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Hutz
How true is that! This is pathetic, and why if you are the reporter, would you bother with such a vague article. I mean we could have come up with a much better story ourselves. I think that if the owners were on the same page with eachother, let alone the players, then this CBA would be done by the 15th of September. But, they are not together, and therefore whether they find a common ground in the present NHL or decide to start a new league (RIDICULOUS!) it will only be a matter of time before it started down the same road. How sad it is for all of us fans, to have to be held hostage by greedy owners and players who aren't willing to concede some salary for the greater good or the game that afforded them all of the finer things in life.

Old
08-27-2004, 01:35 PM
Papa Smurf

Let me get this straight, after over 90 years of NHL hockey, it's all going to come to an end in January????

Old
08-27-2004, 01:38 PM
I in the Eye

Quote:
And let the best league win...

My money is on the owner's league...

Old
08-27-2004, 01:45 PM
YellHockey*

Quote:
The owners have the venues, the team names that fans already identify with, & TV contract.
No. Some of the owners have venues. The NHL has the team names and the TV contracts, not the owners' new league.

Do you think TSN or CBC is going to pay the same for some new unestablished league as it would for a league with decades of history and with another unestablished league offering a similiar product? The owners wouldn't get nearly as much from its contracts.

Quote:
The league that the players would start would have the same problem that the WHA has as far as not being able to find places to play.

The players will eventually go where the money is.
But the owners are starting a new league to try and prevent the players from getting the money.

There are plenty of arenas around North America that are NHL calibre and aren't owned by an NHL owner. Saddledome, Rexall Centre, Rose Garden, Houston's new arena, and Arrowhead Pond to name some of them. They could also go into arenas are that are almost NHL calibre like the new Winnipeg arena, Copps Coliseum, Ottawa Civic Centre, Toronto's AHL arena, etc.

The fans would rather watch the best players in the less desireable buildings then the less desireable players in the best buildings.

The players also know if they stick together they can beat the owners' new league and get their buildings from them for a song.

Old
08-27-2004, 01:45 PM
salty justice

If it saves hockey and we keep the same team names, I could live with a new league run by owners. Just call it the NAHL for North American Hockey League. Because if you think about it, National Hockey League doesnt make sense for an international league like it is. Im really sick of the escalating contracts, if this new league gives players the option of continuing their current contracts but installs a cap and eliminates arbitration I will be very happy and the players would stay.

Old
08-27-2004, 01:47 PM
FlyersProspect2

Send a message via AIM to FlyersProspect2
This is ********. The players want to play hockey, the owners want the players to play hockey whats the problem?

Old
08-27-2004, 01:47 PM
salty justice

Quote:
There are plenty of arenas around North America that are NHL calibre and aren't owned by an NHL owner. Saddledome, Rexall Centre, Rose Garden, Houston's new arena, and Arrowhead Pond to name some of them. They could also go into arenas are that are almost NHL calibre like the new Winnipeg arena, Copps Coliseum, Ottawa Civic Centre, Toronto's AHL arena, etc.
I would be giddy as hell if they returned hockey to the Great Western Forum! I hope Im not the first to say that the atmosphere in Staples Center SUCKS!

Old
08-27-2004, 01:49 PM
Papa Smurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBob
If it saves hockey and we keep the same team names, I could live with a new league run by owners. Just call it the NAHL for North American Hockey League. Because if you think about it, National Hockey League doesnt make sense for an international league like it is. Im really sick of the escalating contracts, if this new league gives players the option of continuing their current contracts but installs a cap and eliminates arbitration I will be very happy and the players would stay.
I went to the Canucks.com board and asked why an international league like the NHL was called the National Hockey League and I got harrassed to hell!

Anyway, if the league keeps everything about the NHL the same but change the name and commisioner, I would be fine with it.

Having said that, I believe this will NOT happen to the NHL. The league is not going anywhere.

Old
08-27-2004, 01:53 PM
I in the Eye

Quote:
No. Some of the owners have venues. The NHL has the team names and the TV contracts, not the owners' new league.
err... the NHL could sell (or transfer) the franchise names to the owner's new league... It can be the same individuals involved (at the NHL level), the same franchises, etc... Just operating under a new entity (or 'brand')... and new business model of their choosing...

and with basically the same individuals involved, chances are the majority of the TV contracts would follow...

Old
08-27-2004, 01:53 PM
salty justice

I dont expect at all for this new league to happen, but I think it would honestly save hockey if it did, at the cost of tradition.

Old
08-27-2004, 01:54 PM
Lionel Hutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead
How true is that! This is pathetic, and why if you are the reporter, would you bother with such a vague article. I mean we could have come up with a much better story ourselves. I think that if the owners were on the same page with eachother, let alone the players, then this CBA would be done by the 15th of September. But, they are not together, and therefore whether they find a common ground in the present NHL or decide to start a new league (RIDICULOUS!) it will only be a matter of time before it started down the same road. How sad it is for all of us fans, to have to be held hostage by greedy owners and players who aren't willing to concede some salary for the greater good or the game that afforded them all of the finer things in life.
I have made posts in the "rate the avatar of the user above you thread" that had more substance than that article.

Closed Thread