HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Odds of making the playoffs?

View Poll Results: What are our odds of making the playoffs?
0-10% 19 14.39%
10-20% 30 22.73%
20-30% 21 15.91%
30-40% 16 12.12%
40-50% 14 10.61%
50-60% 10 7.58%
60-70% 5 3.79%
70-80% 2 1.52%
80-90% 1 0.76%
90-100% 14 10.61%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-14-2011, 09:00 PM
Senators Growing
Next year again...

vCash: 400
40-50%

Need 93-95 points minimum, going to be close to impossible unless the team hits several hot streaks.

Check playoffstatus.com or sportsclubstats.com for the metrics and updates, they're awesome.

Senators Growing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 09:01 PM
Shanny
Let's Win It All

vCash: 500
11% chance.

Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 09:03 PM
Nabokov20
Karlsson for Chuck

vCash: 1325
I said 20-30%. With that in mind, it's towards the lower end of that range. An injury to Spezza and that becomes less than 10%. I still don't think they will, but I'm giving them a fighters chance.

Nabokov20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 11:02 PM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

Sens in a playoff spot, 19 games in. (Just sayin)

Fenix Rises 2026 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 08:42 AM
Bingo Sens
Behind Enemy Lines

but we've also played more games than any other team in the east, if they all caught up we'd probably be around 10th.

Looking good though, all I wanted was for this team to not be a basement dwelling disaster, and they have already exceeded my expectations in that regard.

Bingo Sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 10:29 AM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ottawa Senators View Post
but we've also played more games than any other team in the east, if they all caught up we'd probably be around 10th.

Looking good though, all I wanted was for this team to not be a basement dwelling disaster, and they have already exceeded my expectations in that regard.
I don't think we really need more basement dweller picks anyways. We drafted well in the last few years, and three 1st rounders last year helps. Not to mention guys like Spezza, and Michalek still have a lot in them

Last edited by saskriders: 11-16-2011 at 11:51 PM.
saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 12:01 PM
JonnyMacSen
2nd round Chlapik!

I'm all for making the playoffs, but the thing I'm worried about is IF were in a playoff spot come deadline time will Murray sacrafice picks for rental's? Love his drafting but his deadline deals have been pretty horrible, and playoffs or not we should still stay the course on rebuilding.

JonnyMacSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 11:50 PM
Xspyrit

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyMacSen View Post
I'm all for making the playoffs, but the thing I'm worried about is IF were in a playoff spot come deadline time will Murray sacrafice picks for rental's? Love his drafting but his deadline deals have been pretty horrible, and playoffs or not we should still stay the course on rebuilding.
Cullen and Sutton were horrible deadline deals? TSN and other "experts" seemed to think otherwise, and I tend to agree with them on this.

Also, do the Fisher, Kelly, Kovalev, Ruutu and Campoli deals count? Because we stockpiled a lot of draft picks WTIHOUT taking ANY salary back with those deals... Again, people "in the know" seem to think they were great deals for the most part.

Or maybe the Anderson for Elliott was bad?

So I'm not sure what you meant by "horrible". Maybe you don't like the fact that it requires to sacrifice draft picks to get rentals? Can't see anything else.

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 01:03 AM
CoolGuyDave
Illest guy in town!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
Cullen and Sutton were horrible deadline deals? TSN and other "experts" seemed to think otherwise, and I tend to agree with them on this.

Also, do the Fisher, Kelly, Kovalev, Ruutu and Campoli deals count? Because we stockpiled a lot of draft picks WTIHOUT taking ANY salary back with those deals... Again, people "in the know" seem to think they were great deals for the most part.

So I'm not sure what you meant by "horrible". Maybe you don't like the fact that it requires to sacrifice draft picks to get rentals? Can't see anything else.
Elliott is having a Vezina caliber season... just sayin'.

CoolGuyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 06:29 AM
Comely

vCash: 384
Current odds are 16.9% according to sportsclub stats but they will change from game to game.

Elliott was very impressive for us at times aswell, did he learn from last year and finally get it together, is it a hot streak or is it simply his style works with how St Louis plays?

Comely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 06:31 AM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

I'd say 50/50 ... 50% chance we make it, 50% chance we don't.

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 10:18 AM
JonnyMacSen
2nd round Chlapik!

Quote:

I guess I'm "In the know" cause I thought those were great deals too

I am not talking about rebuilding moves, feel free to re-read my post, I'm talking about playoff push deadline moves, although the Cullen deal I didn't mind. Sutton for a 2nd though? Campoli and Comrie for a 1st? Commodore and Stillman for Corvo and Eaves?

Murray has done a great job at rebuilding and I am a fan of the majority of his work, but his deadline moves where they were based around a playoff run for the most part have been horrible, hence my "worry". He throws picks around like candy when the team is in playoff contention and I just don't want to see that happen this deadline regardless of where we stand cause I feel were still in rebuild mode.

Old
11-17-2011, 10:44 PM
jordan7hm

Our division sucks. We could well be hosting a game in the first round.

I think Ottawa makes it. This team plays physical and can score. Even in their recent losses they've outplayed the opposition on most nights. It all comes down to goaltending though. If Anderson continues to play like he has the last 5 or 6 games I think we're a 3 or 5/6 position rather than an 8/9/10 team. If he doesn't? 8/9/10

jordan7hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 11:09 PM
number72

I think we take the Leafs playoff spot!

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 09:48 AM
Jared Cowen

Quote:
The most I could see us doing at the deadline if we're fighting for a playoff position is maybe move our 2nd to bring some help in and not move Kuba. The organization realizes we aren't a contender and need to continue our rebuild and won't do anything drastic to hurt the future of the team.

Jared Cowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 09:57 AM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

vCash: 1425
We're now up to 25.5% according to sportsclub stats. I think this team still has a chance to sneak into the 7th-8th spot in the east.

mat_sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 10:04 AM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by mat_sens View Post
We're now up to 25.5% according to sportsclub stats. I think this team still has a chance to sneak into the 7th-8th spot in the east.
do they calculate it by giving every team 50/50 chance of winning each game? If it is, any we finish off November strong then our chances should go way up, since we will lose all our games in hand considering how few games we have the next week and a half

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 10:06 AM
Iamok
#Panic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan7hm View Post
Our division sucks. We could well be hosting a game in the first round.

I think Ottawa makes it. This team plays physical and can score. Even in their recent losses they've outplayed the opposition on most nights. It all comes down to goaltending though. If Anderson continues to play like he has the last 5 or 6 games I think we're a 3 or 5/6 position rather than an 8/9/10 team. If he doesn't? 8/9/10
You're absolutely nuts if you think we can overtake Boston and Buffalo. Both teams are far superior to ours in every single position, except for the #1C. Anderson can play out of his mind, he's still not better than Thomas or Miller. Hell, the Sabres are rolling their backup and are 2nd in the conference.

Iamok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 10:14 AM
Comely

vCash: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
do they calculate it by giving every team 50/50 chance of winning each game? If it is, any we finish off November strong then our chances should go way up, since we will lose all our games in hand considering how few games we have the next week and a half
They calculated based off of home and away records. It does have an option to use 50/50 though.

Example
Weighted calculation 25.5 % chance
50/50 calculation 45.1% chance

Comely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 10:18 AM
JonnyMacSen
2nd round Chlapik!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Cowen View Post
The most I could see us doing at the deadline if we're fighting for a playoff position is maybe move our 2nd to bring some help in and not move Kuba. The organization realizes we aren't a contender and need to continue our rebuild and won't do anything drastic to hurt the future of the team.
See I wouldn't even want to give up our 2nd for a rental this year, the Nashville 3rd is probably as high as I would go and even then I would want some-one young who could potentially be resigned in the summer, otherwise I say congrats on making the playoffs, have fun, but stay the course!

Old
11-18-2011, 10:23 AM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaDave View Post
Elliott is having a Vezina caliber season... just sayin'.
Elliott played 8.3 games, just sayin'.

However, he's going to have a good season in the Blues system and particulary under Hitchcock.

Quote:
I guess I'm "In the know" cause I thought those were great deals too

I am not talking about rebuilding moves, feel free to re-read my post, I'm talking about playoff push deadline moves, although the Cullen deal I didn't mind. Sutton for a 2nd though? Campoli and Comrie for a 1st? Commodore and Stillman for Corvo and Eaves?

Murray has done a great job at rebuilding and I am a fan of the majority of his work, but his deadline moves where they were based around a playoff run for the most part have been horrible, hence my "worry". He throws picks around like candy when the team is in playoff contention and I just don't want to see that happen this deadline regardless of where we stand cause I feel were still in rebuild mode.
Ottawa isn't the only team that has spent draft picks for deadline acquisitions in the past. Most teams want to add depht before the playoffs. When you know this...

1) Matt Cullen for a 2nd is a good deal because Cullen is an excellent player. We were also able to get rid of Picard in that deal to open up a spot for someone else.

2) Andy Sutton for a 2nd is also good. At that time (maybe not anymore) he was a physical 2nd pairing D-man with a heavy shot and decent passing skills. We saw what kind of physicality and intimidation he was adding to the team.

3) Campoli and Comrie for a 1st? If that first was a higher 1st, I'd agree but it was a 26th overall pick, the place where you pick up players like Nick Foligno and Jim O'Brien 50% of the time (10% of the remaining odds you pick up a greater player and 40% of the time you draft a bust).

Funny, because we used Campoli for 2.3 years at a very cheap cap hit and he finally returned a 2nd round pick (where odds of picking a good player are fairly similar than in laste 1st round, this is based on draft history analysis) last year. We also got Ryan Potulny who was instrumental in the Calder Cup win. That 2nd round pick was used to move up and get our 3rd first round pick in the last draft, Matt Puempel.

Bottom line, we used Campoli for cheap for over 2 years (+ Potulny) at the expense of a slight difference in draft position 2 years later.

I think this is just another case of the comon HF fan overhyping a draft pick vs actual NHL players.

4) Commodore and Stillman for Corvo and Eaves is the move you can argue for but you need to put it in context.

Commodore didn't fit but Eaves is really no big loss. Opened up a spot for Foligno more than anything else. I know I was pissed at Eaves not scoring enough and always being injured.

Corvo was a big loss at that time but wanted out anyway. Ideal scenario would have been trading him for a pick and prospect, but as the Sens were coming from the Stanley Cup finals, Murray wasn't allowed to make that kind of move in respect to the Sens owner, the fans and the players. He tried desperatly to right the ship (physical D-man and secondary scoring was needed, which is what Stillman and Commodore were) but nothing could have saved that team with the goaltending and defense performance (Sens finished 1st in goals for that season). They sucked so much that Murray totally rebuilt goaltending and defense. It took time (of course) but as of today, the potential of our defense + goaltending is gigantic.

That being said, Stillman played well in a Sens uniform. Too bad only 5-6 forwards and 2 D-men were playing well in the entire team.

5) The only bad deadline acquisition IMO was Lapointe, but it was at the expense of a 6th round pick. Easily offset by the McGrattan trade, which brought back a 5th...

All that being said, Murray has acquired a lot MORE PICKS than he has spent, and the team has made the playoffs 2 times out of 4, so no idea where you took that "He throws picks around like candy" from, because reality and facts tell us otherwise. Even the 1st spent on Campoli and Comrie was acquired in another deal (Meszaros), the 2nd spent on Sutton too (Heatley). And I'm not even speaking of picks acquired from dealing Auld, McGrattan and players at last year deadline.

Proof of it is the depht of the Sens prospect pool, just analyse it and you'll see the light

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/t...r00007328.html

Check the number of draft picks since 2008, and don't forget the Rundblad trade for 2010

So? You understand everything I just said? This is not entirely my opinion (as opposed to you), it is heavily based on facts.

Last edited by Xspyrit: 11-18-2011 at 10:28 AM.
Old
11-18-2011, 10:49 AM
JonnyMacSen
2nd round Chlapik!

Quote:
Elliott played 8.3 games, just sayin'.

However, he's going to have a good season in the Blues system and particulary under Hitchcock.

Ottawa isn't the only team that has spent draft picks for deadline acquisitions in the past. Most teams want to add depht before the playoffs. When you know this...

1) Matt Cullen for a 2nd is a good deal because Cullen is an excellent player. We were also able to get rid of Picard in that deal to open up a spot for someone else.

2) Andy Sutton for a 2nd is also good. At that time (maybe not anymore) he was a physical 2nd pairing D-man with a heavy shot and decent passing skills. We saw what kind of physicality and intimidation he was adding to the team.

3) Campoli and Comrie for a 1st? If that first was a higher 1st, I'd agree but it was a 26th overall pick, the place where you pick up players like Nick Foligno and Jim O'Brien 50% of the time (10% of the remaining odds you pick up a greater player and 40% of the time you draft a bust).

Funny, because we used Campoli for 2.3 years at a very cheap cap hit and he finally returned a 2nd round pick (where odds of picking a good player are fairly similar than in laste 1st round, this is based on draft history analysis) last year. We also got Ryan Potulny who was instrumental in the Calder Cup win. That 2nd round pick was used to move up and get our 3rd first round pick in the last draft, Matt Puempel.

Bottom line, we used Campoli for cheap for over 2 years (+ Potulny) at the expense of a slight difference in draft position 2 years later.

I think this is just another case of the comon HF fan overhyping a draft pick vs actual NHL players.

4) Commodore and Stillman for Corvo and Eaves is the move you can argue for but you need to put it in context.

Commodore didn't fit but Eaves is really no big loss. Opened up a spot for Foligno more than anything else. I know I was pissed at Eaves not scoring enough and always being injured.

Corvo was a big loss at that time but wanted out anyway. Ideal scenario would have been trading him for a pick and prospect, but as the Sens were coming from the Stanley Cup finals, Murray wasn't allowed to make that kind of move in respect to the Sens owner, the fans and the players. He tried desperatly to right the ship (physical D-man and secondary scoring was needed, which is what Stillman and Commodore were) but nothing could have saved that team with the goaltending and defense performance (Sens finished 1st in goals for that season). They sucked so much that Murray totally rebuilt goaltending and defense. It took time (of course) but as of today, the potential of our defense + goaltending is gigantic.

That being said, Stillman played well in a Sens uniform. Too bad only 5-6 forwards and 2 D-men were playing well in the entire team.

5) The only bad deadline acquisition IMO was Lapointe, but it was at the expense of a 6th round pick. Easily offset by the McGrattan trade, which brought back a 5th...

All that being said, Murray has acquired a lot MORE PICKS than he has spent, and the team has made the playoffs 2 times out of 4, so no idea where you took that "He throws picks around like candy" from, because reality and facts tell us otherwise. Even the 1st spent on Campoli and Comrie was acquired in another deal (Meszaros), the 2nd spent on Sutton too (Heatley). And I'm not even speaking of picks acquired from dealing Auld, McGrattan and players at last year deadline.

Proof of it is the depht of the Sens prospect pool, just analyse it and you'll see the light

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/t...r00007328.html

Check the number of draft picks since 2008, and don't forget the Rundblad trade for 2010

So? You understand everything I just said? This is not entirely my opinion (as opposed to you), it is heavily based on facts.
You make a good arguement Xspyrit no doubt, I could question a few things here but thats not the point I was trying to make, the point is I want us to not only make the playoffs, but challenge for the cup every year. In order to do that in my opinion we have to stay the course and continue to build up draft picks and prospects, I'm not saying tank per say but don't force things playoff/cup wise either.

I'm not a Murray hater, I like what he's done here for the most part and I like that he got resigned, I question some of his moves but praise him for alot of his others. I'm fully aware that teams give up draft picks/prospects to get better for a cup run and most years I'm ok with this, but I ask you this...

Do you think were in that position this year? Do you think were just a 30+ year old vet away from "Going All the Way?" in your view?

Old
11-18-2011, 11:33 AM
Xspyrit

Quote:
You make a good arguement Xspyrit no doubt, I could question a few things here but thats not the point I was trying to make, the point is I want us to not only make the playoffs, but challenge for the cup every year. In order to do that in my opinion we have to stay the course and continue to build up draft picks and prospects, I'm not saying tank per say but don't force things playoff/cup wise either.

I'm not a Murray hater, I like what he's done here for the most part and I like that he got resigned, I question some of his moves but praise him for alot of his others. I'm fully aware that teams give up draft picks/prospects to get better for a cup run and most years I'm ok with this, but I ask you this...

Do you think were in that position this year? Do you think were just a 30+ year old vet away from "Going All the Way?" in your view?
I agree with you about THIS year. We shouldn't make a push and wouldn't need to anyway because if we succeed to make the playoffs (almost impossible to win the cup, chances are less than 1%) it's because we already have what's needed.

I still don't think we make the playoffs in the end, but we might be close enough to stay in contention most of the year. I don't mind if Murray makes a move but IMO it would be for not only a rental (like veteran teams do) but for mid to longterm as well. I hope we can package 3 assets (1 player/1 pick/1 prospect) and get a young but proven top-6 forward down the road. Hopfully this season or maybe next offseason. That's the next move I'd like Murray to do.

In hindsight, I always hated his coach decisions. Thought Clouston was going to be good (and had a good record until last year) but now we see the difference with PM, hopefully it's not a flash in the pan. Coaching is like goaltending, a very important part of a team. We need stability.

I liked the Kovalev signing for example (and I still think he was good for the Sens in his 1st season here) because I've seen him dominate with the Habs. He was always the player (and the only one outside their goalies) that I was the most scared of.

Anyway, he could have done better things but don't need to talk about the past too much, the biggest mistakes were done before he took over anyway (Chara, Havlat, Hossa, poor drafting staff, Gerber,...). He's the right GM for our actual situation.

Old
11-18-2011, 11:44 AM
JonnyMacSen
2nd round Chlapik!

Quote:
I agree with you about THIS year. We shouldn't make a push and wouldn't need to anyway because if we succeed to make the playoffs (almost impossible to win the cup, chances are less than 1%) it's because we already have what's needed.

I still don't think we make the playoffs in the end, but we might be close enough to stay in contention most of the year. I don't mind if Murray makes a move but IMO it would be for not only a rental (like veteran teams do) but for mid to longterm as well. I hope we can package 3 assets (1 player/1 pick/1 prospect) and get a young but proven top-6 forward down the road. Hopfully this season or maybe next offseason. That's the next move I'd like Murray to do.

In hindsight, I always hated his coach decisions. Thought Clouston was going to be good (and had a good record until last year) but now we see the difference with PM, hopefully it's not a flash in the pan. Coaching is like goaltending, a very important part of a team. We need stability.

I liked the Kovalev signing for example (and I still think he was good for the Sens in his 1st season here) because I've seen him dominate with the Habs. He was always the player (and the only one outside their goalies) that I was the most scared of.

Anyway, he could have done better things but don't need to talk about the past too much, the biggest mistakes were done before he took over anyway (Chara, Havlat, Hossa, poor drafting staff, Gerber,...). He's the right GM for our actual situation.
Agree with all of this, cept maybe the Kovie signing but thats more me just not ever being a fan of his rather than a bad signing persay.

Old
11-18-2011, 12:02 PM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

Picking 40-50 allows you to edge your bets. Unless they miss by a lot or make it by a lot your covered for either making or missing the playoffs. No other pick gives you both. That's why I took it.

Tundraman is offline   Reply With Quote