Old
12-07-2011, 11:47 AM
FVM
Screaming seagulls

vCash: 1301
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Well off topic at the point.

"Kala mojakka" (also spelled as one word - kalamojakka) is a specific type of soup/stew.

Recipe

It's a traditional Lenten meal amongst the Finnish population in Minnesota. I would assume the word comes from the time of heavier immigration to the state (late 1800s, early 1900s).
Cool. Kalamojakka. You learn something new every day

And yeah, old Finnish then indeed. I've always been fascinated by Finnish emigration to US and elsewhere. Are there any Finnish language newspapers published in Minnesota these days? Or any other such institutions? Mods can feel free to move this to some other thread as we're getting quite far from the topic of Granlund (unless he particularly enjoys fish stew/soup...)

Old
12-07-2011, 12:30 PM
Keeptdos

vCash: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by FVM View Post

And yeah, old Finnish then indeed. I've always been fascinated by Finnish emigration to US and elsewhere. Are there any Finnish language newspapers published in Minnesota these days? Or any other such institutions? Mods can feel free to move this to some other thread as we're getting quite far from the topic of Granlund (unless he particularly enjoys fish stew/soup...)
I heard Granlund invented the "kalamojakka" while solving a paradox.

Old
12-07-2011, 12:34 PM
Foxlockbox
:laugh: is my period

vCash: 850
I'm not that happy with some posters just coming here to hype around MG and not really giving **** about the team otherwise. Fairweather FBJ fans, lots and lots more of them next year.

Old
12-07-2011, 02:01 PM
Keeptdos

vCash: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxlockbox View Post
I'm not that happy with some posters just coming here to hype around MG and not really giving **** about the team otherwise. Fairweather FBJ fans, lots and lots more of them next year.
I hope you aren't pointing me here, but don't worry when the weather turns bad they'll leave at last when they find out how boring we.

EDIT: Oh you meant FBJ fans who don't care about the team. At the moment who wouldn't like him? The kid is a star in SM-Liiga and in Finland. Heck he is probably going to be best finnish forward next season. And most of the Finns spamming in here do not even write on the board that much, which means they are purely MG fans. I don't see them doing any harm.

Old
12-07-2011, 03:49 PM
urho

vCash: 695
Quote:
Oh man, I'm truly sorry I'm a Canes-fan but also a MG-fan, he'll take a Teemu's place in my heart when The Finnish Flash finally retires.

Old
12-07-2011, 07:09 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Originally Posted by urho View Post
Oh man, I'm truly sorry I'm a Canes-fan but also a MG-fan, he'll take a Teemu's place in my heart when The Finnish Flash finally retires.
The only question is, will MG retire sooner? The way things are going, I just don't see Teemu retiring in foreseeable future. I mean, he is basically a cyborg after all those knee operations...

Old
12-09-2011, 02:45 AM
r4ndomduud

vCash: 500
Quote:
This thread is about hyping MG though, no? I don't see anything bad about people posting news and stuff about him. Indirectly they all have something to do with the Wild.

Old
12-09-2011, 02:47 AM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

Teemu vs. Lidstrom. Finland vs. Sweden. Which country can produce the better ironman? It's always a competition between these two.

Old
12-09-2011, 02:58 AM
Haite
x

vCash: 2465
Quote:
Originally Posted by r4ndomduud View Post
This thread is about hyping MG though, no? I don't see anything bad about people posting news and stuff about him. Indirectly they all have something to do with the Wild.
I personally have nothing against people dropping by here just hyping giving updates of Granlund, but there is a MG hypetrain thread on the general prospect forum area too.

Old
12-10-2011, 09:32 AM
Latex*
DM is good

MG with two goals so far today.

Old
12-10-2011, 09:36 AM
Poro24

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatexiKledjut View Post
And both of them were beautiful wristers. Amazing.

First hattrick coming today?

Old
12-10-2011, 10:08 AM
Maladus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatexiKledjut View Post
Good news! I can't wait until he comes over here! If he signs that is...

Old
12-10-2011, 10:49 AM
Zamuz

Granlund is now 16+22 in 30 games, those stats start to look like a goal scorers stats more than playmakers.

He sure is a very interesting player...

Old
12-10-2011, 10:49 AM
heksagon

Granlund also assisted the 3-0 empty netter (secondary assist) but for some reason didn't get a point.
At least it looked like that.

Edit. Video of Granlund's wristers: (Not sure if viewable outside of Finland, but give it a try)

http://www.katsomo.fi/?progId=98836

Last edited by heksagon: 12-10-2011 at 11:49 AM.
Old
12-10-2011, 12:41 PM
Temego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamuz View Post
Granlund is now 16+22 in 30 games, those stats start to look like a goal scorers stats more than playmakers.

He sure is a very interesting player...
He has started shooting more because his linemates cant finish.

Old
12-10-2011, 01:25 PM
ford0016

Quote:
Originally Posted by heksagon View Post
Granlund also assisted the 3-0 empty netter (secondary assist) but for some reason didn't get a point.

Edit. Video of Granlund's wristers: (Not sure if viewable outside of Finland, but give it a try)

Both of those goals were sick!

Old
12-10-2011, 01:52 PM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by heksagon View Post

Very impressive

Old
12-10-2011, 02:08 PM
FVM
Screaming seagulls

After the game the head coach Seppo Hiitelä of today's opponent Ilves had this to say:

"-On Tuesday I will call our centers to me. I will not say anything about the goals but I will talk to them how much work Granlund does without the puck. I will show a slow motion replay to them about what you really are supposed to do on the ice, Hiitelä said.

-Granlund scored two really beautiful goals today but his true value is also in many other parts than goalscoring. I admire his attitude to play without the puck and how he works for his team. That is the greatest thing in him, and that is what makes him a world class player, a ****ing good player."

Old
12-10-2011, 02:18 PM
Haite
x

vCash: 2465
Quote:
After the game the head coach Seppo Hiitelä of today's opponent Ilves had this to say:

"-On Tuesday I will call our centers to me. I will not say anything about the goals but I will talk to them how much work Granlund does without the puck. I will show a slow motion replay to them about what you really are supposed to do on the ice, Hiitelä said.

-Granlund scored two really beautiful goals today but his true value is also in many other parts than goalscoring. I admire his attitude to play without the puck and how he works for his team. That is the greatest thing in him, and that is what makes him a world class player, a ****ing good player."
Not only does Granlund play well, but he spreads his gospel around the league.

Old
12-10-2011, 03:01 PM
Dominus
Believe to see!

So, FBJ single-handedly killed my team with his fluttering shots. What's even worse, I actually cheered when he scored. I can't wait for him to come to Wild and get the hell out of HIFK.

Gotta admire the kid. Just before he scored the first goal I was thinking that Mikke hasn't been very good tonight and then, once again, the guy steps up and wins the game for his team. He also assisted the empty net goal, or at least it would have been an assist in the NHL.

One thing I don't understand is that opposition never seem to try to heckle Granlund. He's their best player. Why aren't you hitting him, annoying him, rubbing glove in his face etc.?! It's almost like they gave up before the game even started. "You can't beat FBJ so why even try?"

Quote:
Mojakka. That's my new favorite word! So much better than "keitto", which is kinda formal and ugly word, or "soppa", which is Swedish. Mojakka. Sounds very Finnish...

There's an interesting article with a theory about the origins of the word:
http://willielahti.blogspot.com/2008...orld-finn.html

Quote:
One such adjective from the Central Ostrobothnian dialect that has fallen into disuse in modern times is the adjective mojakka, which had the same meaning as tukeva (sturdy, solid, hearty, substantial). The Finland that the emigrants left behind was not the land of plenty that their future homeland would prove to be. Meals were often sparse, and meat was eaten rarely. Soup was generally thin and watery. Muhennos or stew was a culinary concept virtually unheard of in working class households. It is quite possible that when the emigrants arrived in North America and encountered the more substantial stews available in the lumber camps and boarding houses, they described said stews as mojakka keitto (hearty soup) or perhaps as mojakampi keitto (heartier, more substantial soup).
So the article suggests that the adjective mojakka eventually turned in to a noun meaning soup/stew among emigrants. You can find some uses of the word in Finland (for example from the Ulkokalla Lighthouse Island's restaurant menu you can find "Majakkamestarin mojakka" (Lighthouse Master's mojakka)) but, according to the article, "it is actually highly probable that in the above instances, the term came to Finland with those migrants who decided to return to the homeland".

Sorry about the off-topic but I'm pretty sure MG likes good soup. I'll leave now to prepare some hearty mojakka.

Last edited by Dominus: 12-11-2011 at 09:43 AM.
Old
12-10-2011, 03:56 PM
Caior89

vCash: 353
Nice snipes!

Old
12-10-2011, 05:49 PM
FVM
Screaming seagulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominus View Post
Mojakka. That's my new favorite word! So much better than "keitto", which is kinda informal and ugly word, or "soppa", which is Swedish. Mojakka. Sounds very Finnish...

There's an interesting article with a theory about the origins of the word:
http://willielahti.blogspot.com/2008...orld-finn.html

So the article suggests that the adjective mojakka eventually turned in to a noun meaning soup/stew among emigrants. You can find some uses of the word in Finland (for example from the Ulkokalla Lighthouse Island's restaurant menu you can find "Majakkamestarin mojakka" (Lighthouse Master's mojakka)) but, according to the article, "it is actually highly probable that in the above instances, the term came to Finland with those migrants who decided to return to the homeland".

Sorry about the off-topic but I'm pretty sure MG likes good soup. I'll leave now to prepare some hearty mojakka.
Great find! This explanation is elegant and makes sense. Mojakka. Yes. Now carry on, I got a craving for fish stew too...

Old
12-10-2011, 05:58 PM
EkiE

vCash: 50
Im enjoying beer mojakka atm, beer+vodka and added one meatsoup sqaure in to it . Not very good but you get ****faced pretty easily ..

Old
12-11-2011, 02:26 AM
Eple

Wow, those were sick wristers. Maybe FBJ is just pissed at Zaborsky leading the goal scoring race by so much.

Old
12-11-2011, 02:43 AM
Dominus
Believe to see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EkiE View Post
Im enjoying beer mojakka atm, beer+vodka and added one meatsoup sqaure in to it . Not very good but you get ****faced pretty easily ..
Only in Korso...

Closed Thread