HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

The Saint Mikael Granlund hypetrain part 2 (saucer passes turning to wine!)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-11-2011, 10:54 AM
  #351
edgevolution
GO USA!
 
edgevolution's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: State of Hockey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,293
vCash: 500
Any YT of the goals? For some reason I can never video on Finnish sites, but I would appreciate if anyone could dig up a video

edgevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 11:05 AM
  #352
Lui One Hall
Registered User
 
Lui One Hall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Helsinki
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,730
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by codemanh View Post
Any YT of the goals? For some reason I can never video on Finnish sites, but I would appreciate if anyone could dig up a video


1st goal @ 0:58
2nd @ 1:25

Lui One Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 11:28 AM
  #353
thomast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by timanGi View Post


1st goal @ 0:58
2nd @ 1:25
He has good NHL-caliber of wrister nowadays. He's adding sniping ability in his already lethal offensive attributes. Can't wait to see him in the NHL.

thomast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 11:57 AM
  #354
Jussi
I am siege face
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 42,586
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
He has good NHL-caliber of wrister nowadays. He's adding sniping ability in his already lethal offensive attributes. Can't wait to see him in the NHL.
Oh come on, those were totally on the goalie. Well the first one he was probably screened but he should have had the second one.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 12:00 PM
  #355
tikkanen5rings*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: in your head!
Posts: 11,686
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Oh come on, those were totally on the goalie. Well the first one he was probably screened but he should have had the second one.
What does it matter?

tikkanen5rings* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 12:07 PM
  #356
thomast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Oh come on, those were totally on the goalie. Well the first one he was probably screened but he should have had the second one.
Of course goalie should take EVERY shot which comes from long distance without screen but Granlund have scored about 5-10 similar goals in short period so we can talk about good wrister. Like Pulus holy slapper that you have been raving alot. We can't talk about luck when he has scored alot similar goals in different goalies. One goalie even stated that it was wicked shot and very hard to stop?(Järvinen)

thomast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 12:39 PM
  #357
Muuri
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,515
vCash: 500
Funny, to me it looked like the first goal was totally on Aittokallio but in the second wrister was just too sick.

Muuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 04:01 PM
  #358
Loffer
Registered User
 
Loffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,093
vCash: 954
Quote:
Funny, to me it looked like the first goal was totally on Aittokallio but in the second wrister was just too sick.
Yes, that's how I saw it. The goalie was screened in the first one though. But every goal counts. It's no coincidence that Granlund has scored recently so many goals by wrister, as thomast said. It's accurate and hard (but is it quick?). Granlund himself said that he has started to shoot more. Maybe because it seems to work (and work better than passing).

Well, anyways, he has turned it upside down lately: No assists, only goals. And reports saying repeatedly something like: "Granlund didn't stand out but then he scored two goals. That should be enough." It used to be just the opposite: "Granlund created a lot of scoring chances to his linemates but they managed to score only one goal. He was clearly the best player on the ice although he got only one point..." He seems to have grown weary of being the set up guy there. Well, not really. But it is interesting to see if he keeps this trend up in the WJC.

Loffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 04:35 PM
  #359
Haite
x
 
Haite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,864
vCash: 2465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffer View Post
But it is interesting to see if he keeps this trend up in the WJC.
We'll probably have Pulu forcing passes to Mikael, and Markus doing screen infront of the goal if things go they way they've been going recently.

Haite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 04:36 PM
  #360
tikkanen5rings*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: in your head!
Posts: 11,686
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffer View Post
Yes, that's how I saw it. The goalie was screened in the first one though. But every goal counts. It's no coincidence that Granlund has scored recently so many goals by wrister, as thomast said. It's accurate and hard (but is it quick?). Granlund himself said that he has started to shoot more. Maybe because it seems to work (and work better than passing).

Well, anyways, he has turned it upside down lately: No assists, only goals. And reports saying repeatedly something like: "Granlund didn't stand out but then he scored two goals. That should be enough." It used to be just the opposite: "Granlund created a lot of scoring chances to his linemates but they managed to score only one goal. He was clearly the best player on the ice although he got only one point..." He seems to have grown weary of being the set up guy there. Well, not really. But it is interesting to see if he keeps this trend up in the WJC.
BUST
alltough those headlines never happened. You are the most passive agressive poster I've ever seen. Why don't you just say what you want to say and be done with it?

tikkanen5rings* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 05:00 PM
  #361
Loffer
Registered User
 
Loffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,093
vCash: 954
Yes they happened. There's nothing aggressive in this notification of a fact. I like this new Granlund, the sniper. For a change. Instead of witnessing so many ingenious passes going to waste, being not so ingenious and only score goals by oneself since it's so ****ing easy.

Loffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 05:13 PM
  #362
Dr Jan Itor
Registered User
 
Dr Jan Itor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: MinneSNOWta
Posts: 9,817
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffer View Post
Yes they happened. There's nothing aggressive in this notification of a fact. I like this new Granlund, the sniper. For a change. Instead of witnessing so many ingenious passes going to waste, being not so ingenious and only score goals by oneself since it's so ****ing easy.
It's all about him taking what's being given to him. Production matters, no matter which form it comes in.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 05:16 PM
  #363
tikkanen5rings*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: in your head!
Posts: 11,686
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffer View Post
Yes they happened. There's nothing aggressive in this notification of a fact. I like this new Granlund, the sniper. For a change. Instead of witnessing so many ingenious passes going to waste, being not so ingenious and only score goals by oneself since it's so ****ing easy.
You should definitely link them headlines because I usually check the Finnish newspapers everyday no matter where I am.

tikkanen5rings* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 05:35 PM
  #364
Loffer
Registered User
 
Loffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,093
vCash: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkanen5rings View Post
You should definitely link them headlines because I usually check the Finnish newspapers everyday no matter where I am.
Actually I used the word "reports", not headlines but more or less informal reports - maybe a line in an article, yes, but more often comments on Finnish discussion boards like "Jatkoaika".--

Loffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 05:39 PM
  #365
tikkanen5rings*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: in your head!
Posts: 11,686
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffer View Post
Actually I used the word "reports", not headlines but more or less informal reports - maybe a line in an article, yes, but more often comments on Finnish discussion boards like "Jatkoaika".--
Who cares about those clowns at jatkoaika? You'd have to be insane to take seriously that site. Are you?

yes you are...

tikkanen5rings* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 05:51 PM
  #366
Loffer
Registered User
 
Loffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,093
vCash: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkanen5rings View Post
Who cares about those clowns at jatkoaika? You'd have to be insane to take seriously that site. Are you?

yes you are...
I didn't say exclusively at jatkoaika. i can recall the same "sentiment" in some articles as well. But how is HFBOARDS more serious discussion forum than jatkoaika besides being in english? I think people on these boards are more educated in the game than some random reporter of a tabloid. At least they analyse games much deeper. Stories in tabloids are usually always the same. no nuances.
And same people write here, the "clowns" from Finland.. eh...

Loffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 06:01 PM
  #367
tikkanen5rings*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: in your head!
Posts: 11,686
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffer View Post
I didn't say exclusively at jatkoaika. i can recall the same "sentiment" in some articles as well. But how is HFBOARDS more serious discussion forum than jatkoaika besides being in english? I think people on these boards are more educated in the game than some random reporter of a tabloid. At least they analyse games much deeper. Stories in tabloids are usually always the same. no nuances.
And same people write here, the "clowns" from Finland.. eh...
Yeah well perhaps you should just sit back and watch this kid become a star. There is no need for your negative output. I mean first "the fluttering saucers" and now the imaginary tabloits that you just made up. Seriously? Just chill and let's see what the kid can do next season ok?

e: and hfb is very much more educated forum than any hockey site.

tikkanen5rings* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 06:23 PM
  #368
Loffer
Registered User
 
Loffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,093
vCash: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkanen5rings View Post
Yeah well perhaps you should just sit back and watch this kid become a star. There is no need for your negative output. I mean first "the fluttering saucers" and now the imaginary tabloits that you just made up. Seriously? Just chill and let's see what the kid can do next season ok?
Agreed. Admit i was too critical in my initial responses. i found the hype just ridiculous back then. Afterwards i have come to appreciate more and more his talent by really watching his game. He is not the flashiest type of a player. it may distract you. and about his --- saucer passes -- well, it was only aside, a footnote if you will, a curiosity. Nothing serious although I still think he could polish his passing technique... no big deal, get the job done.

Marc Savard, you say. Wasn't he a late bloomer in the NHL? And that's your prediction on Granlund? I think he either "tears it up" (to exaggerate a little bit) from the outset or won't make it at all. It's not about his talent but his type. He definitely should play in the NHL given his tremendous talent but i'm still not convinced he suits there that well. But whatever. i hope he is next Datsyuk, not Savard. But Savard is fine.

Loffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 06:36 PM
  #369
tikkanen5rings*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: in your head!
Posts: 11,686
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffer View Post
Agreed. Admit i was too critical in my initial responses. i found the hype just ridiculous back then. Afterwards i have come to appreciate more and more his talent by really watching his game. He is not the flashiest type of a player. it may distract you. and about his --- saucer passes -- well, it was only aside, a footnote if you will, a curiosity. Nothing serious although I still think he could polish his passing technique... no big deal, get the job done.

Marc Savard, you say. Wasn't he a late bloomer in the NHL? And that's your prediction on Granlund? I think he either "tears it up" (to exaggerate a little bit) from the outset or won't make it at all. It's not about his talent but his type. He definitely should play in the NHL given his tremendous talent but i'm still not convinced he suits there that well. But whatever. i hope he is next Datsyuk, not Savard. But Savard is fine.
I'm pretty sure he won't be the next Datsuyk. He will be a combination of Saku Koivu and Marc Savard. Thats a skillful small center with grit and amazing hockey IQ with some finishing touch.
Im pretty sure he will be scoring around 90 points during his prime.

tikkanen5rings* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 07:16 PM
  #370
Loffer
Registered User
 
Loffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,093
vCash: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkanen5rings View Post
I'm pretty sure he won't be the next Datsuyk. He will be a combination of Saku Koivu and Marc Savard. Thats a skillful small center with grit and amazing hockey IQ with some finishing touch.
Im pretty sure he will be scoring around 90 points during his prime.
Guess so. Anyway, 90 points is more than I can expect realistically. Still it's not that sure he will or can play center. I think he might end up being a winger in the NHL.

Loffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 07:44 PM
  #371
Loffer
Registered User
 
Loffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,093
vCash: 954
forget it.


Last edited by Loffer: 12-11-2011 at 09:30 PM.
Loffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 08:53 PM
  #372
RJC
Registered User
 
RJC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 982
vCash: 500
don't see his game translating well into the NHL.. future bust imo

RJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 09:33 PM
  #373
Loffer
Registered User
 
Loffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,093
vCash: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC View Post
don't see his game translating well into the NHL.. future bust imo
elaborate...

Loffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 01:24 AM
  #374
Ovechkid08
Registered User
 
Ovechkid08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eden Prairie, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffer View Post
elaborate...
He's a Vancouver fan... and he's still a more reasonable poster than you. Your opinion of the kid seems to change on a whim based on what you read on message boards or media outlets about his game. You don't seem to have any reasonable opinion of your own that has any basis in reality. His saucer passes flutter sometimes so he they may not be effective in the NHL. The last few games he is only scoring goals rather than getting assists so clearly he is just a goalscorer, can that puck hogging attitude hold up in the NHL? Sometimes his passes are too good, they probably won't work in the NHL. He had a pointless game, clearly he's way too inconsistent to do well at the next level. Its like a broken record of you giving him a little praise and then questioning everything else in a backhanded way, he is a developing prospect maybe take that into account and slow down on your constant jumps to conclusions.

As for the goals, the first one was a well placed shot from him shooting back against the grain through traffic, the kind of shot that does have a chance to go in or get tipped at the NHL level. The second just looked like a quick and awesome snipe that again is an NHL caliber goal that we can see on a nightly basis. Good to see that he has that kind of shooting ability in his repertoire. Can't wait to see him in the WJCs

Ovechkid08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 03:46 AM
  #375
swift
Registered User
 
swift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 157
vCash: 500
The people discussing Granlund here, they are at least 80% finns. They have also taken over the Granlund thread on the Wild Message Boards. After Granlunds Lacrosse goal and his performance in the FEL a finn can't seriously be objective about this guy anymore. That + the finns loving hockey so much is why these threads are getting out of hand Many people see him as the saviour for finnish hockey for years to come. Anyway, some of these people make reasonable posts, and some of them think Granlund is the next Gretzky. The fact that all the finns are fired up only proves one thing. This guy has potential. He has also delivered in the FEL.

BUT. It does not mean that he will deliver in the NHL. We have seen young guys tearing it up before the NHL and not all of them become NHL Allstars. I have to say that he is looking more and more like the real deal. He should however hit the gym in the summer and get some more muscle. He needs more strength, and he will probably have to change his playing style in the NHL because he can't be pulling all those fancy moves on NHL Caliber defensemen.

I like the fact that he has started to produce more goals. I'm still a bit puzzled over the fact that Granlund rarely goes 1+3 or 1+1, its often 2+0 or 0+3 or something...


Last edited by swift: 12-12-2011 at 03:51 AM.
swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:41 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.