HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Aaron Palushaj has potential - DO NOT TRADE HIM!

Old
11-15-2011, 02:36 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
I find it strange to limit him to a 4th line role. He's an offensive player, so why would we want him in a 4th line role? Shouldn't the 4th line be about role players still?

Maybe I'm thinking too much of the traditional lineup, but in my view: the top-3 lines are offensive lines/skill lines in the new NHL, and the 4th line remains as a grind/energy line. Further, you want that 4th line to have role players who can add something to the PP (e.g., a player like Darche who has some skill and can play a screen role), or players who can play the PK and eat up some minutes there. But, generally, it's a grind line with character players. Moen, White, Nokeleinen, Darche, et al.

Palushaj doesn't seem to fit that bill. He's an offensive player. If anything, I'd see him as a 3rd liner offensive player or not in the NHL at all.

For what it's worth, I liked him for a third consecutive game. He's now able to create more space for himself, carry the puck for a little longer, get the puck into solid positions off the cycle, and can carry the puck through the neutral zone. All good signs for an offensive player. These three games are the first time I've seen any glimmer of NHL talent, however.
Too be fair to Palushaj,he really can't be judge until he is given a real shot .

I mean David D in his first 6 games played 4th line and didn't look real great .

Look at him now when he is allowed to showcase with good players.

So until i see EP given that shot, i reserve judgement .

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 08:51 AM
Patty Roy

Quote:
I find it strange to limit him to a 4th line role. He's an offensive player, so why would we want him in a 4th line role? Shouldn't the 4th line be about role players still?

Maybe I'm thinking too much of the traditional lineup, but in my view: the top-3 lines are offensive lines/skill lines in the new NHL, and the 4th line remains as a grind/energy line. Further, you want that 4th line to have role players who can add something to the PP (e.g., a player like Darche who has some skill and can play a screen role), or players who can play the PK and eat up some minutes there. But, generally, it's a grind line with character players. Moen, White, Nokeleinen, Darche, et al.

Palushaj doesn't seem to fit that bill. He's an offensive player. If anything, I'd see him as a 3rd liner offensive player or not in the NHL at all.

For what it's worth, I liked him for a third consecutive game. He's now able to create more space for himself, carry the puck for a little longer, get the puck into solid positions off the cycle, and can carry the puck through the neutral zone. All good signs for an offensive player. These three games are the first time I've seen any glimmer of NHL talent, however.
I pretty much completely agree with this post.

These last couple of games is the first glimpse i've ever seen of Palushaj resembling an NHL calibre player.

Oddly enough his situation in Montreal is not unlike what D'Agostini went thru when he was here. Showed good glimpses when playing top 9 minutes with some skilled linemates, but completely useless as a 6-8 minute a night 4th liner.

I'm not sure that he's quite good enough to get top 9 minutes on a healthy Habs team right now, but camp next year is going to be huge for him. That will be his make or break time with this organization.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 06:29 PM
macavoy

If Palushi becomes a full time top 6 winger for the Habs, I'm probably worried about the Habs at that point.

Just like if Matt D'agositini was a full-time top 6 player on the Habs, I'd be dissapointed. I don't think Dags is a top 6 winger on this team without injuries. 8 forwards on our team have more points than Matt Dagostini.

While some players go on to have decent careers doesn't mean they would make our team better. Same thing with Grabovski, sure he's better than DD & Eller but sometimes they just aren't a match and Grabs is all heart these days.

That being said, I wouldn't trade him at this point. Let him bounce back and forth this year and see if he can be a full time 3rd liner next year.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 07:00 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:

I also agree that he's looked pretty decent in this last little stretch. However, if i had to make a decision today based on what I've seen, I dont think he would be consistent enough to fill out a full time top 6 role.

You talk about the 4th line being an energy/grinding line. I see it this way too. Palushaj chases pucks hard, cycles well and finishes his checks the same. He's not afraid to get down and dirty with the board play. He might not be the grittiest guy but I do see alot of energy in his game.

And I also agree that he is an offensive minded player, and that makes him versatile enough to fill in on the PP or in a top 6 role if injuries become an issue.

So I think we are somewhat on the same page in terms of what we are looking for from an ideal 4th liner at least, but I also want to reiterate that I wouldn't rule him out on a 3rd line role either. I just dont see top 6.

Anyways, that's only my opinion, and I respect yours as always.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote