HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kyle Clifford

Old
11-13-2011, 02:29 PM
NHLFreak

vCash: 500
Kyle Clifford

Loved this kid in Barrie. Unfortunately havent seen much of him in the NHL. How's his development been going? Do you think he ever becomes a top sixer in LA. Heard hes been compared to a Rich Tocchet/Steve Ott(Bit of a Stretch?).

Love to hear your thoughts.

NHLFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 02:36 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

vCash: 567
Sophomore slump in full effect. I've said for weeks now that I think a stint in Manchester would do him good.

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 02:54 PM
BigBrown
They did it!

Solid rookie season and tremendous playoffs but disappointing second season so far. He is pretty much the same as he was in his rookie season but he isn't as aggressive and is fighting way less.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 03:42 PM
Kingurentai

He was this crazy/psycho (in a good way) rookie last year that wanted to destroy everything in site. I'd say like Carcillo, but with an actual brain.

This year not sure what is going on. Hope it's a typical sophomore slump, because I want psycho red dog back.

Kingurentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 03:48 PM
KingsFan24*

Im pretty sure it took Cliffy awhile to get the points going last year as same for this year. He has a goal and two assists to start the season really wish he can play more aggresive and get into more fights though. :/ He is a Carcillo/Ott/Downie type player except he has a brain ;P

KingsFan24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 03:48 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

He's been playing better of late, was largely responsible for Greene's goal last night (Harding couldn't see through Clifford's screen).

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 04:07 PM
Julius Caesar Milan
Lord of the Shih Tzu

vCash: 863
We need to send him to a Carribean Island, let him have sex like Ron Jeremy and call it "How Cliffy got his groove back"

Julius Caesar Milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 05:03 PM
Scottkmlps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
He's been playing better of late, was largely responsible for Greene's goal last night (Harding couldn't see through Clifford's screen).
Harding saw it perfectly from the bench, Backstrom however.

Scottkmlps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 06:17 PM
KingCanadain1976

As what has been said here by other s Kyle clifford started out the same way last year. I think he will develope into a top 6 player. I can see him scoring 20 goals and stepping out for his team mates. Right now hes starting to find his grove on the 4th line I fully expect him being capable of playing with Brown and Richards by the end of the year should Penner continue his offensive downfall. The way our coach is he moves around lines . I expect this to happen once he developes some more confidence. This year i can see him getting 15 goals 40 points once his playing time goes up. For me i seem to see him getting at least acouple of oppoortunitys to score a game. With better linemate i see his points going up. Im looking forward to seeing him develope into this.

KingCanadain1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 07:21 PM
jonrazor12
Palffy for President

Clifford has not progressed from last season. Some will say he has regressed. Whatever the case, IMO he should not be on the team. He should not have been on the team last year even though I love the guy. He should have been sent back to Barrie after a handful of games last season to work on his overall game. I never understood why the organization kept him. Im not sure if he will ever develop into a top six player but am keeping my fingers crossed. I believe his development was hampered by being brought up so soon. Time will tell, but playing limited minutes in a checking role in the NHL is not helping his development. Would not be a bad idea to send him down to manchester and bring up a guy like King

jonrazor12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 07:43 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

It seems forgotten that Kyle Clifford had zero points in his first 19 games last season and was a -9 during that span. He didn't get his first point, an assist, until his 20th game and didn't record his first goal until his 22nd game.

He's looked better of late. I wouldn't be calling for his reassignment quite yet. He's still doing some things right that aren't appearing on the score sheet.

Old
11-13-2011, 09:49 PM
Johnny Utah

Clifford doesn't have to fight as much, he gained a reputation last year and had to fight a ton to gain it...now people know who he is and after his fights with Reeves and Brookbank, where he exposed his lack of defense, we don't need him fighting that much and possibly getting hurt. Moreau, Fraser, Greene, Westgarth and even Richards can fight if they have to....Ideally you don't want Greene or Richards fighting either because of the minutes they play but leave it to Westgarth, Clifford, Moreau and Fraser.

Clifford showed in the playoffs that he can play in the NHL and that his game is suited for the gritty, tight checking playoffs.

I agree the Kings probably should have keep him and juniors and he should have spent all this year in the AHL, that was ideal, but he made the team last year when the Kings were soft and weak on LW.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 10:23 PM
Blikian29

Send a message via AIM to Blikian29
He's a real solid kid that's only going to get better... but that Rick Tocchet comparison may be a bit off. Tocchet was a beauty around the net.

Blikian29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 11:38 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

I am very happy with Clifford, and while he started out a little slow, he's also one of the only bottom 6ers I trust on a regular basis. I actually think him on the fourth line with Fraser on a regular basis is a very good tandem on the fourth line, sporting some grit.

As for a top sixer, I don't think he'll ever have that role, barring a series of injuries where he HAS to play that role. I just think that the role he plays and thrives most in is as a bottom 6/energy player.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 02:02 AM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

No stats, just observation. After the bizarre offseason, i get the sense that fighting is down league-wide. Guys might be thinking, why fight unless I absolutely have to?

I Am Ziggy Palffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 02:40 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Fighting is indeed down from last season. Last October, there were 120 fighting majors issued for the month of October. This season, only 81 fights in October. The league average of fights per game this season is down from last season with .5 fights per game.

With scores being closer in tightly contested games, and with players whose sole responsibility is to fight being near extinction, it should come as no surprise as to why Clifford isn't finding many willing combatants. Hell, watch his last scrap against Vancouver, his opponent did not want to drop the gloves.

Old
11-14-2011, 03:21 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Fighting is indeed down from last season.
Darwin definitely was right.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:06 AM
markisonfire
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Score one for atheism, the proof is in the pudding!

I kid.

Clifford is doing what he always did last year, he just had better line mates in Handzus and Simmonds. He isn't in a position to succeed offensively like he was in the playoffs and that's fine too. Put him with Richardson and Lewis and watch him knock in a few garbage goals here and there.

markisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:11 AM
Rorschach
33 #nottobedenied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
><DARWIN>
___L____L__

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:41 AM
mitchrock

Quote:
It seems forgotten that Kyle Clifford had zero points in his first 19 games last season and was a -9 during that span. He didn't get his first point, an assist, until his 20th game and didn't record his first goal until his 22nd game.

He's looked better of late. I wouldn't be calling for his reassignment quite yet. He's still doing some things right that aren't appearing on the score sheet.
I remember that and think Clifford seems to be having a better start this season. His minutes are limited right now. As the season progresses and injuries happen, Clifford will keep developing and find opportunites to contribute.

mitchrock is offline   Reply With Quote