HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers lose 6-3 to the Hawks

Old
11-13-2011, 08:47 PM
harpoon
FOB

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
. Teubert looked better than Petry has at any point this season.
Easy to look good in one game when you are playing on adrenalin and the coach is making sure you get decent matchups .

Petry and Peckham haven't been nearly as bad as some folks are making them out to be . These should be ten minute a night players at most , yet they are being forced to play minutes and situations way over their development curves . Of course this should come as no surprise to Oiler fans considering the organization has made a habit of destroying d-men development by overplaying them and/or partnering them with guys who shouldn't even be in the league .

Think about it .... Smid and Gilbert were the only real NHL defencemen the Oilers had going tonight . Not going to win many games icing that lineup .

Second weak game by Khabibulin , but he was entitled to a few given his start . Hopefully he doesn't let it get to him .

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 08:49 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by canovin View Post
Just here to say this. Can't believe people here are already saying Hall is a bust. He had his chances, but not everytime the puck will go in due to hitting the posts or the goalies made a hot save. Hall>Seguin still stands. Why? Hall is unlucky whereas Seguin has been getting lucky bounces.

There's so many times a guy can do that before you stop attributing it to luck and start to credit his skill.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 08:51 PM
wingnut83

Quote:
Originally Posted by spot View Post
I'm still not understanding why Renney doesn't just decide on having 2 scoring lines and an elite checking line? Commit to our top 6 and let them gain chemistry.

Hall Hopkins Hemsky
Pajaarvi Gagner Eberle
Smyth Horcoff Jones
Eager Belanger Petrell

This provides us with the best balance.
This is absolutely how I see it.

wingnut83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 08:52 PM
Evil Ernie

Evil Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 08:54 PM
Six in O6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut83 View Post
This is absolutely how I see it.
Gagner and Paajarvi cant compete in the top 6. You could call them a second line, but there is no way they could get more minutes than the Horcoff line.

Six in O6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 08:55 PM
Burtch66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Stop.

Playing.

Belanger.

With.

MPS/And/Or Gagner.

K, Please? Thnx Renney.
And there's the glaring problem. For the past 4 days I have disagreed with people who wanted to break the kid line up (that worked so great tonight didn't it). Hall & Ebs are just slumping. They'll play out of it. splitting the kids up isn't goig to make either one shoot better. the big issue has been the lack of bottom six production. in the NHL you win on the road with good D and support scoring.

Burtch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 08:58 PM
spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six in O6 View Post
Gagner and Paajarvi cant compete in the top 6. You could call them a second line, but there is no way they could get more minutes than the Horcoff line.
Gagner is a 40-50pt second line center! Pajaarvi scored 15 goals last season playing second fiddle to the other kids. Pajaarvi hasn't even seen top 6 minutes this year. Tonight he played the least amount of minutes of all our players. With his pedigree and what he proved last year he is at the least a second line left winger. IMO

spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
windowlicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post

There's so many times a guy can do that before you stop attributing it to luck and start to credit his skill.
How do you think Hall would be doing right now playing for the defending Cup champs while Seguin would be setting up our current line-up? It has everything to do with the supporting cast and nothing do to with their current stats.

Nothing.

windowlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Rin

Quote:
Originally Posted by spot View Post
I'm still not understanding why Renney doesn't just decide on having 2 scoring lines and an elite checking line? Commit to our top 6 and let them gain chemistry.

Hall Hopkins Hemsky
Pajaarvi Gagner Eberle
Smyth Horcoff Jones
Eager Belanger Petrell

This provides us with the best balance.
I'd love to see these!

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BoldMcNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burtch66 View Post
And there's the glaring problem. For the past 4 days I have disagreed with people who wanted to break the kid line up (that worked so great tonight didn't it). Hall & Ebs are just slumping. They'll play out of it. splitting the kids up isn't goig to make either one shoot better. the big issue has been the lack of bottom six production. in the NHL you win on the road with good D and support scoring.
I think the lines were decent.

The D lost the game. IMO.

BoldMcNewLettuce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
McCanovin
Oil Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post

Seguin is good no denying that, but not better than Hall. Hall dominates game. Difference is Hall has been unlucky with either goalies making hot saves or hitting the posts. Difference in points is not much if Hall had some luck going his way.

McCanovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 09:00 PM
McJadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatestOilFan View Post
And please don't get me started on the Fail for Nail BS, finishing 30th or bottom five is the worst thing this team can go through right now.
its the only way we'll get elite-level talent, which we have very little, if any, of right now

yakupov is a better pure scorer than anybody we have on our team right now... nobody likes losing, but we didn't get hall and RNH for being *good* these past 2 seasons.... and lets face facts, the two of them (along with eberle) is simply not enough for us to be contenders

we need another lottery pick, rather badly actually

McJadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 09:02 PM
McJadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Then why is our coach trotting out non young guys to play so much? Please tell freaking renny it is a 'development' year again.
exactly... who cares about wins/losses? its about developing the young guys, which he is failing miserably at btw

Old
11-13-2011, 09:04 PM
Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowlicker View Post
How do you think Hall would be doing right now playing for the defending Cup champs while Seguin would be setting up our current line-up? It has everything to do with the supporting cast and nothing do to with their current stats.

Nothing.
I'm glad we picked Hall but Seguin is leading the defending Cup champs in points by a very sizable number and leading the league in plus/minus. He is damn good regardless of his team mates.

Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 09:04 PM
McOilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

vCash: 50
Quote:

What is your goal, to get the young guys playing time and live with mistakes or not? You can't have it both ways.
Really?

2006-07 regular season:

ES TOI(for the year):

MacDonald
Selanne
Pahlsson

Penner, Getzlaf, Perry are 7-8-9.

PP TOI(for the year):

Selanne
Macdonald
Kunitz
Getzlaf
Penner
Perry

Development is never as simple as "give young guys playing time and live with the mistakes", because if it was, CBJ would be a legit NHL team.

We've seen what happens when we 'live with the mistakes' a little too much.

Most good developing teams do this too. Boston for example did it last year with Seguin (which was huge in his development), and he turned out fine.

11-13-2011, 09:05 PM
Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
exactly... who cares about wins/losses? its about developing the young guys, which he is failing miserably at btw
ok what IS the proper way to develop the kids then?

Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 09:05 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
And mps, gagner and such are all back seat drivers while Horcatross is out there more than anyone every single game and losing draws on a record pace.

What is your goal, to get the young guys playing time and live with mistakes or not? You can't have it both ways.
I'm fed up with Horcoff getting so much ice time. I'd trade Horcoff just to get him off the top 2 lines. Gagner should be getting more ice time than 13 minutes.

Here are the face-offs for tonight's game.

Shawn Horcoff - 4/12 - 33%
Eric Belanger - 8/15 - 53%
Sam Gagner - 3/6 - 50%
RNH - 9/13 - 69%

Tell me why Horcoff is getting over 19 minutes and Gagner barely get 13 minutes. Makes no sense.

Narnia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 09:07 PM
wingnut83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six in O6 View Post
I agree RE: Gagner, but they need to put Paajarvi in a position to succeed and see if
he can take the ball and run with it. He has had zero opportunity in any kind of offensive role and it has destroyed his confidence. Give him a legitimate oportunity
in a top six role and some PP time and see if he can do something with it. If Renney
isn't willing to do that, then send him to OKC, and make him the man for a while.

Old
Harley

Kinda glad I don't have to watch them for awhile. lol

Tired group. A couple days off and then see if we can right the ship.

Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
McJadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus View Post
ok what IS the proper way to develop the kids then?
no idea to be honest, but whatever renney is doing certainly isn't working... i'm not a coach, but i can look at results to see what is working and what isn't... pretty simple

Old
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
its the only way we'll get elite-level talent, which we have very little, if any, of right now

yakupov is a better pure scorer than anybody we have on our team right now... nobody likes losing, but we didn't get hall and RNH for being *good* these past 2 seasons.... and lets face facts, the two of them (along with eberle) is simply not enough for us to be contenders

we need another lottery pick, rather badly actually
I actually think Yakupov is a little overrated. If he was 3 weeks older he would be in the NHL right now playing for the Oilers or Avalanche. Of course he's going to absolutely destroy the OHL this season. Huberdeau is going the exact same thing in the CHL right now. He was just a few months older so he's already been drafted. Yakupov isn't going to have the typical draft year stats because he's older.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 09:08 PM
Burtch66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohaj View Post
I think the lines were decent.

The D lost the game. IMO.
Were they any better than before? Decent doesn't cut it here apparently. Hall-RNH-Ebs were playing decent, but weren't scoring much on this trip. How many goals did Hall-RNH-Hemsky produce tonight? Oh that's right, 0. Ebs scoring had absolutely nothing to do with line changes. If anything this line switch just made us worse in our own end..

Burtch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 09:09 PM
wingnut83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
I'm fed up with Horcoff getting so much ice time. I'd trade Horcoff just to get him off the top 2 lines. Gagner should be getting more ice time than 13 minutes.

Here are the face-offs for tonight's game.

Shawn Horcoff - 4/12 - 33%
Eric Belanger - 8/15 - 53%
Sam Gagner - 3/6 - 50%
RNH - 9/13 - 69%

Tell me why Horcoff is getting over 19 minutes and Gagner barely get 13 minutes. Makes no sense.
Been saying it for years. Horcoff has some realy good pictures.

Old
11-13-2011, 09:09 PM
McJadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
I actually think Yakupov is a little overrated. If he was 3 weeks older he would be in the NHL right now playing for the Oilers or Avalanche. Of course he's going to absolutely destroy the OHL this season. Huberdeau is going the exact same thing in the CHL right now. He was just a few months older so he's already been drafted. Yakupov isn't going to have the typical draft year stats because he's older.
he might be a little over-rated, you could be right about that... but he is a better sniper than anybody we currently have.... the only guy that would be close would be eberle IMO

Old
11-13-2011, 09:10 PM
Cam98

this hot start oilers got on, has made us expect wins when we should lose, like these past 3 games.

right now oilers are playing bad hockey and losing, but this 3 game losing streak was predicted.

im hoping oilers will make playoffs but im not going to have my expectations up. i'm just hoping we play games with minimal mistakes and if we lose, we lose, just sick of seeing horrible hockey

Cam98 is offline   Reply With Quote