HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers lose 6-3 to the Hawks

Old
11-13-2011, 10:49 PM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
No doubt, as do I, gotta try and increase his trade value. You don't bench someone that you're trying to trade.
You have said this for a couple of years now. Considering no Oiler has played his entire career in Edmonton one day you will probably be right.

Oilmageddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 10:49 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Oh good gawd, how horrible!

Wants them to compete? Wants to win?

Fire the whole coaching staff right on the spot..
Well, if you have people in charge that know wtf they are doing, then you should have a pretty good gauge of what the team needs and where the team is at.

Apparently the Oilers are a finished product after a two year rebuild and can make a run for the Cup as they are currently constructed. With all the recent draft picks of the last four years in the lineup and counted on to contribute heavily.

That's just dumb.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 10:51 PM
Hoogaar23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixs35 View Post
Watching Gagner losing FO on the PP is just embaressing when you have a great guy on the ice.
Gagner is 57.7% on the dot so far this year - 2nd on the team to Belanger's 57.9%. Pick another bashing point.

Hoogaar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 10:52 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Well, if you have people in charge that know wtf they are doing, then you should have a pretty good gauge of what the team needs and where the team is at.

Apparently the Oilers are a finished product after a two year rebuild and can make a run for the Cup as they are currently constructed. With all the recent draft picks of the last four years in the lineup and counted on to contribute heavily.

That's just dumb.
Development and Winning are not mutually exclusive. Nothing wrong with trying to steer the club out of a last place gutter.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 10:56 PM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by newoilburnsclean View Post
You have said this for a couple of years now. Considering no Oiler has played his entire career in Edmonton one day you will probably be right.
We have a bet on it, so we'll see who is right/wrong at least in the very short term.

11-13-2011, 11:05 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 1729
Quote:

That's just dumb.
Maybe they should just go back to losing.

They probably won't make the playoffs but at this point they might as well at least try.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 11:06 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Development and Winning are not mutually exclusive. Nothing wrong with trying to steer the club out of a last place gutter.
Ya, they pretty much are. You are either concentrating on one or the other. Rarely can you do both. Especially with a team like this. This isnt the Cup champs where you can bury Hall or RNH on the third line and use them sparingly. These kids are counted on to bring it.

Atm, it looks like we are failing to do either.

Old
11-13-2011, 11:08 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post

They probably won't make the playoffs but at this point they might as well at least try.
I want the team to win. But I can see the silver lining if they dont. This team needs more talent. Playing ahl players on defense year after year isnt going to get us anywhere near the playoffs.

Old
11-13-2011, 11:10 PM
dixs35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post
Gagner is 57.7% on the dot so far this year - 2nd on the team to Belanger's 57.9%. Pick another bashing point.
who is more proven and how many draws has Gagner taken?

dixs35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 11:11 PM
Spawn

Such an unfortunate start to this game. Hall hits the crossbar on a fantastic individual effort and then Chicago comes down and makes it 1-0.

Petrell has a fantastic chance with the puck just sitting there with an open net and somehow can't put it in the net and Chicago comes down and scores to make it 2-0.

This game could have easily started 2-0 for Edmonton. Then the rest of the game went much like Oilers games have gone in the past couple years. You get a goal to make it close and then give one up right away to kill all the momentum.

Hall was as dangerous tonight as he looked in a while now. Good sign. That chance he had early in the 1st was outstanding and the reason he went first overall. And he got absolutely robbed not too much later by Crawfords glove off a blistering wrist shot.

It'll be good to get back home. I was really hoping for 3-3 on this road trip and 2-4 stings, especially since they started 2 and 1. But I think we all knew that this team was going to hit a slide like this. I was saying this last PGT I think, but now we need to see how they respond. A few days home and a home game hopefully will but this team needs.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 11:13 PM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post

Is it worth stunting the development of some of the players just to possibly add a couple of wins this year?

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 11:15 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 1729
Quote:
Is it worth stunting the development of some of the players just to possibly add a couple of wins this year?
Does more losing help them develop? Would another 30th place finish help everyone?

To flip that question around, is it worth losing a few more games to maybe develop some players?

There's a good chance more development will happen from winning. If Eberle and Hall continue to be mired in 30th place not only will they not get better they might not stick around either.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 11:16 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Even if I had a source for this I would not share it on the open forum. For the record it is my opinion, just like it is your opinion that Paajarvi will never be a 2nd liner and that Gagner is the shiz.
Maybe you shouldn't state categorically that the team is trying to trade Gagner and then upon questioning indicate that its just your opinion.

Old
11-13-2011, 11:16 PM
HotToddy

Quote:
I don't think he's a topsix winger on a good club regardless of who's coaching. Any argument that applies to Gagner applies in spades to MPS who is far less of an established NHL quantity.

Funny though how MPS gets your excuse that its all the coaches fault but Gagner should be sacked just because.

You can't argue it both ways. But you do.
This has been his modus operandi for years

If someone with greater than two years of experience struggles = trade him, bench him, light him on fire use his ashes to mold hockey pucks

New prospect/shiny toy struggles then you play him more in the top 6, more PP time and with better players.

At least we've seen good and great shifts our of Gagner what have we seen from MPS? I don't care how many shifts you get and with what teammates ...make it count

HotToddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 11:23 PM
Hoogaar23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixs35 View Post
who is more proven and how many draws has Gagner taken?
Point stands. You want to complain about something, don't be so lazy about it. Gagner has been winning a very high percentage of his draws this year. Don't care if he only had 3 faceoffs. To complain about Gagner always losing draws this year is stupid and lazy. Like I said - pick something else to bash him on. Once (if) his % dips below 50%, then fire away.

Hoogaar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 11:23 PM
Johnny Bravo
Fired Up

As torts would say: We sucked from head to toe...... Plain and simple.

Johnny Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 11:24 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotToddy View Post
This has been his modus operandi for years

If someone with greater than two years of experience struggles = trade him, bench him, light him on fire use his ashes to mold hockey pucks

New prospect/shiny toy struggles then you play him more in the top 6, more PP time and with better players.

At least we've seen good and great shifts our of Gagner what have we seen from MPS? I don't care how many shifts you get and with what teammates ...make it count
Like I've pointed out several times its more than just BBO. It seems that ANY player thats been here +3 yrs is on the outs no matter who they are or what they accomplish.
This board just loses patience with any veterans on this club.

The shiny new thing always seems to come with limitless praise and an abundance of patience. Until 3 yrs at which point they're set on fire. Its the nature of the hockey futures board.

Gagner was on the catbird seat 4yrs ago and the best thing that happened to the org in years. Last year he's having an even better year and he's considered pure ***** because he's not ppg by now or something. Go figure.

Old
11-13-2011, 11:29 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Ya, they pretty much are. You are either concentrating on one or the other. Rarely can you do both. Especially with a team like this. This isnt the Cup champs where you can bury Hall or RNH on the third line and use them sparingly. These kids are counted on to bring it.

Atm, it looks like we are failing to do either.
Yeah IMO there is a clear distinction with a team like this.

Either you are developing the kids and playing a looser style of hockey or you are trying to grind your way into a 8 seed or close to it (ie: the Mac T years) and forcing a less offensive style of hockey.

There is no middle ground, this organization is going to have to choose one or the other for this season.

Soundwave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 11:32 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Like I've pointed out several times its more than just BBO. It seems that ANY player thats been here +3 yrs is on the outs no matter who they are or what they accomplish.

The shiny new thing always seems to come with limitless praise and an abundance of patience. Until 3 yrs at which point they're set on fire. Its the nature of the hockey futures board.

Gagner was on the catbird seat 4yrs ago and the best thing that happened to the org in years. Last year he's having an even better year and he's considered pure ***** because he's not ppg by now or something. Go figure.
If Gagner was producing he'd be fine the fans books. He's not producing and he doesn't have the excuse of being a kid any more (he's been here for half a decade now playing in the pros).

Has nothing to do with "shiny new toy" syndrome, the fans seem to like their beat up old 15 year old Ryan Smyth just fine.

It's all about production. He's a high draft pick too, there should be expectations on him, I don't think there's anything wrong with expecting a player to improve from their 3rd year onwards either.

Soundwave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 11:37 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

I think that it is about the "shiny new toy" syndrome to some extent. Yakupov or Grigorenko aren't likely to come in here and turn Hall, Eberle, Paajarvi and to a lesser extent, Gagner's offensive games around and yet, some people, on the basis of "Hope" seem to be looking towards another top five draft pick fixing whatever ails this team.

There's something rotten in the developmental process on the Edmonton Oilers right now. Guys are taking stark steps backwards.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 11:39 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I think that it is about the "shiny new toy" syndrome to some extent. Yakupov or Grigorenko aren't likely to come in here and turn Hall, Eberle, Paajarvi and to a lesser extent, Gagner's offensive games around and yet, some people, on the basis of "Hope" seem to be looking towards another top five draft pick fixing whatever ails this team.

There's something rotten in the developmental process on the Edmonton Oilers right now. Guys are taking stark steps backwards.
It's true.

Players should be developing much better. It seems they fly out of juniors, come here and stop getting better.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 11:40 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Gagner does squat out there... Criticism is warranted if a 5th year offensive player's game is simply offensive. No one would care what year he would be at if he actually did something out there. I don't hear too many complaints about Gilbert and Smid, who are also vets, because they are actually useful players.

Insta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 11:40 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohaj View Post
I think the lines were decent.

The D lost the game. IMO.
Yup. Our forwards were generating scoring chances. Couple posts and Crawford outplayed Bulin.

Our D was brutal. Petry let Toews walk around him behind the net and then take it out front into the slot and left Bulin out to hang. Then barely minutes later the D is standing around and lets Montador basically walk in and before we know it we're down 2-0 on the road.

Brutal. Just brutal.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 11:41 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:

Why dont you slap together a list of players that have been here more than three years and tell us all why they are worth a ****?

Old
11-13-2011, 11:42 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
If Gagner was producing he'd be fine the fans books. He's not producing and he doesn't have the excuse of being a kid any more (he's been here for half a decade now playing in the pros).

Has nothing to do with "shiny new toy" syndrome, the fans seem to like their beat up old 15 year old Ryan Smyth just fine.

It's all about production. He's a high draft pick too, there should be expectations on him, I don't think there's anything wrong with expecting a player to improve from their 3rd year onwards either.
Gagner was on a 50pt pace LAST season, second in team pts, and he was roundly criticized here by some of the same people doing it today.

So is it just about production? Or do people want Gagner gone period? The argument as commonly expressed is that Gagner just doesn't fit on the team. So I don't think that the sink Gagner arguments are about production.

Although it helps get the pitchforks out in numbers