HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Adding some grit - BUF/SJ

Old
11-13-2011, 09:33 PM
Blitz
Welcome 2 HH Archie!

vCash: 500
Adding some grit - BUF/SJ

After watching the Bruins (Lucic the piece of ****) rag-doll Buffalo (Miller) the other night it is quite apparent that the Sabres need to add some size & physical presence to the roster. Perhaps a guy like Clowe would be a good fit in Buffalo's lineup - he has good size, likes to play physical, and still has scoring ability.

We have also been awful defensively on the back-end in general... allowing to many shots & odd-man chances. Buffalo needs to find another physical stay-put d-man who doesn't secretly yearn to play wing (Myers, Ehrhoff, Grags, Leo & Sekera to a lesser degree) to protect Miller & Enroth and limit open chances on them... I feel Murray might fit that bill nicely. Anyhow, here goes...

To

LW Ryan Clowe.......... ($3.635M)
D Douglas Murray.......($2.5M)
RW/C Torrey Mitchell.. ($1.367M)

total cap hit ................ ($7.502M)

The Sabres give up a bit of offensive prowess, but get a big, physical LW in Clowe, as well as a defensively responsible, stay at home d-man in Murray to try to limit the SOG a bit (IMO, we need an OD & a DD on each pairing) and help out our stoppers. swapping Boyes for Mitchell is mostly for cap reasons, however there is a small bonus in Torrey's ability to play centre.

1. Vanek-Adam-Pominville
2. Clowe-Roy-Stafford
3. Gerbe-Gaustad-Leino
4. McCormick-Mitchell-Kaleta

X. Ellis, Hecht [LTIR]

1. Regehr-Myers
2. Ehrhoff-Murray
3. Leopold-Weber

X. Gragnani

To

2012 2ND RND pick [CGY]
LW Tyler Ennis.......($875K RFA)
D Andrej Sekera.....($2.75M)
RW/C Brad Boyes...($4M)

total cap hit.............($7.625M)

The Sharks concede some size, but gain some scoring upside on the left side (Ennis) and especially on the second defensive pairing in Sekera. They also receive Boyes, who is a more offensive player than Mitchell on the right side (again, mostly for cap reasons), and what should be a mid second round pick in this years draft [CGY].

1. Couture-Thornton-Pavelski
2. Ennis-Marleau-Havlat
3. McGinn-Handzus-Boyes
4. Winchester-Desjardins-Murray

X. Sheppard

1. Boyle-Burns
2. Vlasic-Sekera
3. Braun-White

X. Demers

Thoughts? Value-wise or other?

Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 09:35 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Pick one guy and simplify the deal. Personally... Douglas Murray is one of my favorite current NHLers and I would do handstands if they could find a way to pry him out of San Jose.

But that entire deal is just too much for the Sharks to part with.

11-13-2011, 09:36 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Sharks would never do that. EVER. EVER....

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 09:45 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Clowe isn't just a tough guy. He's a freaking scorer. There are few with the toughness and talent of that guy in the league. If you could get him out of SJ at all, it certainly wouldn't be with Ennis.

A general note about posted trade proposals:
Most of the time, teams that trade players are dumping guys they don't need or want, or are trying to either buy or sell, in which case somebody needs to be taking on more salary. We're just a bad trade partner this year, because we want to be buyers, but have no room to buy unless we start waiving guys. SJ is not looking to rebuild. Unless San Jose has some legitimate need that we have an overabundance of, trades aren't going to happen.

haseoke39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 10:04 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
I'd rather not move the best overall defenseman this year prior to the past three games.

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 10:06 PM
joshjull

Sna Jose gets knocked themselves for not being tough enough come playoffs. Why in the hell would they trade Clowe?

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 10:10 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Ellis Problems View Post
I'd rather not move the best overall defenseman this year prior to the past three games.
Dude you wouldn't move Sekera for that package? Douglas Murray can fill in for Sekera quite admirably, and Clowe is an absolute beast. We get a lot meaner, while still retaining high skill in our top 6.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 10:24 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

I saw toughness and San Jose and thought, "I bet Clowe is in this deal."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
Dude you wouldn't move Sekera for that package? Douglas Murray can fill in for Sekera quite admirably, and Clowe is an absolute beast. We get a lot meaner, while still retaining high skill in our top 6.
And we fleece them in the process. Not even Darth Regier could pull this one off.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 11:40 PM
DJN21

san jose downgrades all over the place...you're suggesting ennis is an offensive upgrade over Clowe which is false and Sekera sure as hell isnt Murray...dont get me wrong id take it and run but this is a homer proposal especially considering you want the best team in the league over the last 5 years(points wise) to further shake the core of their team(following trading heatley and sets) going into another potential playoff year?

DJN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 11:57 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Clowe and a pick for Ennis would tickle my fancy.

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 12:10 AM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
The overall value is obviously tilted in Buffalo's favor, but losing Sekera would hurt the D appreciably. Given the Sabres' team D this year I wouldn't put him in a trade.

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote