HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Rank the relative value of points from each league:

Old
08-05-2014, 05:50 PM
Ovechking

vCash: 1355
Rank the relative value of points from each league:

Of the leagues that players are regularly drafted from, rank the value of points that a player puts up. Generally speaking, the QMJHL is notorious for having high point totals. Whereas guys drafted from the SEL are obviously going to score less because they're playing with men.

I'm not even going to bother trying because I'm so ignorant on the subject, but I'd love to hear what some of the more knowledgeable guys think.

Main Leagues (add more if I'm missing some):
OHL, QMJHL, WHL, SHL, USHL, LIIGA, NCAA.

Ovechking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 06:02 PM
blindpass

vCash: 500
This is a bit dated, but probably more useful than random opinions you might get that aren't backed by any statistical analysis:

http://www.behindthenet.ca/projecting_to_nhl.php

The differences between the three CHL leagues are not that significant any more.

blindpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 06:07 PM
The Dream
Maximum Overdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindpass View Post
This is a bit dated, but probably more useful than random opinions you might get that aren't backed by any statistical analysis:

The differences between the three CHL leagues are not that significant any more.
This is probably the best way to look at it.

I would probably value it is this order: SHL, LIIGA, NCAA, CHL (all three are pretty much equal), USHL

The Dream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 06:26 PM
ottawah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechking View Post
Of the leagues that players are regularly drafted from, rank the value of points that a player puts up. Generally speaking, the QMJHL is notorious for having high point totals. Whereas guys drafted from the SEL are obviously going to score less because they're playing with men.

I'm not even going to bother trying because I'm so ignorant on the subject, but I'd love to hear what some of the more knowledgeable guys think.

Main Leagues (add more if I'm missing some):
OHL, QMJHL, WHL, SHL, USHL, LIIGA, NCAA.
Its hard to rank them in a way that makes too much sense. Due to different styles, it makes a comparison hard unless you really dig into the stats.

For example, the OHL is very much a puck possession leaque while the Q is more of a run and gun. Even though they produce roughly the same points per player, the way they are getting the points is different. This allows certain players to shine in their respective leagues where they may not in another, and vice versa.

God knows I've tried. Eventually I find it easier to evaluate against peers in their league (which is tough for the Euro leagues), correlate that with non stat skills (skating/size for example) to try and project to the next level, then use historical averages of NHL players/superstars drafted out of each league to get a rough idea.

ottawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 07:04 PM
Ovechking

vCash: 1355
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindpass View Post

Great, thanks for the link! I guess the Q is just the league that has the superstar point producers (Crosby, MacKinnon, Drouin, Ehlers).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawah View Post
Its hard to rank them in a way that makes too much sense. Due to different styles, it makes a comparison hard unless you really dig into the stats.

For example, the OHL is very much a puck possession leaque while the Q is more of a run and gun. Even though they produce roughly the same points per player, the way they are getting the points is different. This allows certain players to shine in their respective leagues where they may not in another, and vice versa.

God knows I've tried. Eventually I find it easier to evaluate against peers in their league (which is tough for the Euro leagues), correlate that with non stat skills (skating/size for example) to try and project to the next level, then use historical averages of NHL players/superstars drafted out of each league to get a rough idea.
So what you're saying is it's not incredibly easy to be an NHL scout? Thanks for your input!

Ovechking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 08:01 PM
blindpass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechking View Post
Great, thanks for the link! I guess the Q is just the league that has the superstar point producers (Crosby, MacKinnon, Drouin, Ehlers).

So what you're saying is it's not incredibly easy to be an NHL scout? Thanks for your input!
The last time the Q had the CHL point leader was 2009.

Even if we are looking at only draft eligible players then the other CHL leagues have had plenty of superstar point producers e.g. Kane, Stamkos, Tavares, Petan, McDavid.

blindpass is offline   Reply With Quote