HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LW Kevin Roy - Northeastern University, NCAA (2012, 97th overall, Anaheim)

Old
12-21-2011, 01:01 PM
SmurfsFTW
Wait.. WUT ?!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
Roy had an interview on a french channel and he basically said that his plan was to go to Brown but that he would think about Quebec's offer. He's supposed to go back to Lincoln on the 26th so it gives him another 5 days to make his decision. I feel like it's more his parents who want him to play for Quebec rather than Kevin himself. We'll see.
I personnaly know Kevin's father, he's one of my co-worker, and he's the one that pushed Kevin to play in US college. He despises the QMJHL. He wanted his kid to get a degree as well as playing hockey, instead of strictly playing hockey and riding the bus. He truly hopes his kid completes his degree and plays in the NCAA.

I don't know how Kevin's doing at the academic level, if he struggles it might be a reason why he's considering playing for the Remparts. Certainly not his parents though.

SmurfsFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 01:22 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Halaka: Like I said, it was only a feeling I got from his interview. Obviously, there's a good chance I'm wrong.

BLB: Pageau will be an OA next season but I doupt he comes back unless there's a lockout. Gillies is 17 this season (same age as Brassard)

SPORTSMANIAC: I don't expect Gillies to report this season. He would be the backup behind Domingue. It's better for him if he stays as the #1 in the USHL this season. I guess they would have to find a backup goalie. I heard they were looking in Ontario but I have no idea if it's true or not.

SergeConstantin74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 01:48 PM
Yeti
HFBoards Partner

According to the article linked below, it doesn't sound like Roy is going anywhere.

http://slightlychilled.areavoices.com/?p=1339

Quote:
Lincoln Stars coach Chad Johnson said this afternoon forward Kevin Roy will not join the Quebec Remparts of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League this season.

Johnson said Roy, who leads the USHL in scoring with 38 points this season, was recently approached by a Quebec City television station about doing an interview when he returned home for the Christmas Break. Roy is from Lac-Beauport, which is 15 miles or 25 kilometers from the province’s capital city.

“Both myself and (Stars assistant Jimmy) McGroarty spoke with the family. Jimmy spoke with his father and I spoke with Kevin at length and it started out as a TV station that wanted to do an interview and turned into a local player the Remparts are interested in,” Johnson said by phone. “Now he’s supposedly going to meet with the organization and Patrick Roy with him being the owner. We were told the family is not interested. They are interested in the college route. (The interview) was not blown out of proportion, but it was twisted around into him wanting to play in the QMJHL.”

Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 02:17 PM
BLBarmada

Serge:

So they would trade for a player who can help them make a go this year ?

Because trading Brassard for a guy who may only be a half season sea like a heavy price.

Is Gillies better then Brassard ?

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 02:39 PM
SPORTSMANIAC

Send a message via AIM to SPORTSMANIAC
Gillies is 17 and eligible for next years draft and top draft eligible goalie out of the USHL

SPORTSMANIAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 02:44 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPORTSMANIAC View Post
Gillies is 17 and eligible for next years draft and top draft eligible goalie out of the USHL

Pimping him hard because he's from SoPo?

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 02:53 PM
SPORTSMANIAC

No just answering some posters questions

Old
12-21-2011, 02:56 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPORTSMANIAC View Post
No just answering some posters questions
Just giving you crap bro...

Old
12-21-2011, 05:03 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
According to the article linked below, it doesn't sound like Roy is going anywhere.

http://slightlychilled.areavoices.com/?p=1339
I don't expect him to change his mind in 5 days, especially since his path hasn't change since he was 12 yo, but I would be careful with that kind of statements coming from teams or advisers.

Quote:
Erne, who the Mooseheads selected in the second round (22nd overall) in last Saturday’s QMJHL draft, has no intention of leaving the Indiana Ice of the United States Hockey League, or of abandoning his plan to play NCAA hockey at Boston University starting in 2013.

“As much as we appreciate the interest in him, that’s the route he’s going to be taking at this time,” said Erne’s adviser, Ritch Winter.
http://www.metronews.ca/halifax/spor...ng-toward-ncaa

Old
12-21-2011, 05:12 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBarmada View Post
Serge:

So they would trade for a player who can help them make a go this year ?

Because trading Brassard for a guy who may only be a half season sea like a heavy price.

Is Gillies better then Brassard ?
I think it would be better a player who can come back as an OA but Stephane Leroux from RDS said Pageau was near Quebec. He would be a major asset considering he finished 3rd in playoffs scoring last season behind A.-Marchessault and Huberdeau. He can play both C and RW which is something Quebec needs. However, I'm beginning to think Ben Groulx might keep him in order to make a run in the playoffs with the Olympiques. It will be easier considering they're in a weak division.

Old
12-21-2011, 05:59 PM
Yeti
HFBoards Partner

Video from TVA Sports in Quebec about Kevin Roy. Wish I could understand what they are saying. Any help?

http://tvasports.ca/video/featured/l.../1338794972001

Old
12-21-2011, 06:05 PM
SPORTSMANIAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post
Just giving you crap bro...
I should have figured my bad

Old
12-21-2011, 06:56 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
Video from TVA Sports in Quebec about Kevin Roy. Wish I could understand what they are saying. Any help?

http://tvasports.ca/video/featured/l.../1338794972001
voiceover: People have been impressed with Kevin Roy since they saw him show up his skills on YouTube at 13. Today at 18, he's still making a good impression while dominating the scoring title in the USHL.

Roy: No, I wasn't expecting that kind of season so far. I worked hard this summer, I arrived over there and the coaches gave me a chance. I hope I can keep going on until the rest of the season.

Dany Bernard talking about the Academie St-Louis hockey program in Quebec where Kevin played from 12 to 15 and how it can be a good alternative for Quebecers in light of Roy's success. (For your record, Bernard is the most anti-Quebec Midget AAA or anti-QMJHL you can find in Quebec. He's telling his players at Academie St-Louis how NCAA is the best way and how QMJHL is worth nothing. I don't have anything against NCAA, but the way he does things, it's kind of bad.)

Roy: I don't have regrets. Maybe junior hockey would have worked but it's difficult to let go an education at Brown.

interviewer/voiceover: Kevin Roy had never been drafted by a QMJHL team, however, some teams could now be tempter to make him an offer, which is what the Quebec Remparts did.

Roy: They talked to my parents a few weeks ago and there might be a meeting this week.

voiceover: But the chances of him giving up his scolarship are low but he'll give himself some time to think about it.

Roy: That's easier being at home rather than 21 hours away in Nebraska. My mom would be happier, that's for sure.

voiceover: The final decision will come soon, Kevin has to go back to Nebraska on December 26th.

That will cost you 20$.

Last edited by SergeConstantin74: 12-21-2011 at 07:09 PM.
Old
12-21-2011, 07:06 PM
Yeti
HFBoards Partner

Quote:
voiceover: People have been impressed with Kevin Roy since they saw him show up his skills on YouTube at 13. Today at 18, he's still making a good impression while dominating the scoring title in the USHL.

Roy: No, I wasn't expecting that kind of season so far. I worked hard this summer, I arrived over there and the coaches gave me a chance. I hope I can keep going on until the rest of the season.

Some man talking about the Academie St-Louis hockey program in Quebec where Kevin played from 12 to 15 and how it can be a good alternative for Quebecers in light of Roy's success.

Roy: I don't have regrets. Maybe junior hockey would have worked but it's difficult to let go an education at Brown.

interviewer/voiceover: Kevin Roy had never been drafted by a QMJHL team, however, some teams could now be tempter to make him an offer, which is what the Quebec Remparts did.

Roy: They talked to my parents a few weeks ago and there might be a meeting this week.

voiceover: But the chances of him giving up his scolarship are low but he'll give himself some time to think about it.

Roy: That's easier being at home rather than 21 hours away in Nebraska. My mom would be happier, that's for sure.

voiceover: The final decision will come soon, Kevin has to go back to Nebraska on December 26th.

That will cost you 20$.
Thank you so much. I really appreciate it.

Old
12-21-2011, 08:44 PM
BLBarmada

Quote:
I think it would be better a player who can come back as an OA but Stephane Leroux from RDS said Pageau was near Quebec. He would be a major asset considering he finished 3rd in playoffs scoring last season behind A.-Marchessault and Huberdeau. He can play both C and RW which is something
Quebec needs. However, I'm beginning to think Ben Groulx might keep him in order to make a run in the playoffs with the
Olympiques. It will be easier considering they're in a weak division.
So you think if the Clermont Rumors are true they go all out ala Moncton 2010 ?

I agree the division is weak, and there's quite a few assest's to acquire, and Clermont almost stole the series last year against SJ.

If they go for it then Saint John has to go and get a goalie.

So Kevin Roy never played played AAA ?

Who's the school he went to has an idiot running the hockey program ?

Lol I'd laugh if he ended up in Shawi or SJ, even though that's not happening.

Old
12-21-2011, 10:15 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBarmada View Post
So you think if the Clermont Rumors are true they go all out ala Moncton 2010 ?

I agree the division is weak, and there's quite a few assest's to acquire, and Clermont almost stole the series last year against SJ.

If they go for it then Saint John has to go and get a goalie.

So Kevin Roy never played played AAA ?

Who's the school he went to has an idiot running the hockey program ?

Lol I'd laugh if he ended up in Shawi or SJ, even though that's not happening.
I'd be really surprised if Groulx went Moncton 2010' way. Not his type. Although, he'll probably try to go for it.

No Roy never played AAA. He played for Academie St-Louis in Quebec between 12 and 15, Deerfield Academy in Maine between 15 and 18; and now he is playing for the Lincoln Stars in the USHL. He's going to play for Brown University starting next season.

The problem with Dany Bernard is that he is telling all these kids and their parents how American prep schools and NCAA are so much better and that if they stay in Quebec they won't get an education. As in Midget AAA or QMJHL players never go to school or don't have higher education options. Which is false. He could be the good person to help Hockey Quebec getting back its greatness as he has a really good 'hockey brain'. However, he encourages his players to go play in the U.S. He could also help build hockey in Quebec high schools, Cegeps or Universities, but he doesn't. He's happy that his Academie St-Louis players all leave for American prep schools. Like I said, I don't have anything against prep schools or NCAA, but the way he acts really doesn't help the state of hockey in Quebec.

Old
12-21-2011, 10:27 PM
SPORTSMANIAC

Quote:
I'd be really surprised if Groulx went Moncton 2010' way. Not his type. Although, he'll probably try to go for it.

No Roy never played AAA. He played for Academie St-Louis in Quebec between 12 and 15, Deerfield Academy in Maine between 15 and 18; and now he is playing for the Lincoln Stars in the USHL. He's going to play for Brown University starting next season.

The problem with Dany Bernard is that he is telling all these kids and their parents how American prep schools and NCAA are so much better and that if they stay in Quebec they won't get an education. As in Midget AAA or QMJHL players never go to school or don't have higher education options. Which is false. He could be the good person to help Hockey Quebec getting back its greatness as he has a really good 'hockey brain'. However, he encourages his players to go play in the U.S. He could also help build hockey in Quebec high schools, Cegeps or Universities, but he doesn't. He's happy that his Academie St-Louis players all leave for American prep schools. Like I said, I don't have anything against prep schools or NCAA, but the way he acts really doesn't help the state of hockey in Quebec.
Massachusetts

Old
12-21-2011, 11:06 PM
BLBarmada

Quote:

No Roy never played AAA. He played for Academie St-Louis in Quebec between 12 and 15, Deerfield Academy in Maine between 15 and 18; and now he is
playing for the Lincoln Stars in the USHL. He's going to play for Brown University starting next season.

The problem with Dany Bernard is that he is telling all these kids and their parents how American prep schools and NCAA are so much better and that if they stay in
Quebec they won't get an education. As in Midget AAA or QMJHL players never go to school or don't have higher education options. Which is false. He could
be the good person to help Hockey Quebec getting back its greatness as he has a really good 'hockey brain'. However, he
encourages his players to go play in the U.S. He could also help build hockey in Quebec high schools, Cegeps or Universities,
but he doesn't. He's happy that his Academie St-Louis players all leave for American prep schools. Like I said, I don't have anything against prep schools or NCAA, but the way he acts really doesn't help the state of hockey in Quebec.

I find that parents are kinda ill informed regarding the Q these days.

Old
12-22-2011, 11:19 AM
Edges7

My two cents is why wouldn't Roy explore every option that is open to him?

Unless he has that Brown admission in his pocket right now - and my source at Brown says that he does not and will not until he actually graduates from LSE or wherever the Stars are sending their players these day, then he should remain open to the Q.

That said, from a hockey player's POV there really isn't any upside here for him to make the jump now. Some whispers have him sneaking into the late first round early second now as it is. Given QCR's current standings and play, they'd have to translate the success of the season - assuming it continues - into a legit Memorial Cup run and he'd have to be a major part of that run and for what? Trading up into the Top 15 as opposed to the Top 40? I see more risk than reward for the lad.

If he goes cold in the USHL over the last 35 games then he falls less than if he makes the jump to the Q and doesn't perform up to expectations.

Last edited by Edges7: 12-22-2011 at 11:25 AM.
Edges7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:39 AM
Edges7

Quote:

Dany Bernard talking about the Academie St-Louis hockey program in Quebec where Kevin played from 12 to 15 and how it can be a good alternative for Quebecers in light of Roy's success. (For your record, Bernard is the most anti-Quebec Midget AAA or anti-QMJHL you can find in Quebec. He's telling his players at Academie St-Louis how NCAA is the best way and how QMJHL is worth nothing. I don't have anything against NCAA, but the way he does things, it's kind of bad.)

That will cost you 20$.
Throw my thanks in for this as well. My French is a little rough. What was Bernard saying about "Hopes and dreams"? "It's better to keep hopes and dreams alive in school than in hockey."?

Old
12-22-2011, 11:42 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edges7 View Post
Some whispers have him sneaking into the late first round early second now as it is.
*drops jaw*

Can't be the same Kevin Roy I saw...

Old
12-22-2011, 12:04 PM
Edges7

Quote:
*drops jaw*

Can't be the same Kevin Roy I saw...
Ask around. There is an ever growing buzz about this player.

FWIW, I'm in your camp. Horribly one dimensional from what I have seen. At this level he can get away with it; as long as he keeps scoring.

Old
12-22-2011, 12:10 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edges7 View Post
Ask around. There is an ever growing buzz about this player.

FWIW, I'm in your camp. Horribly one dimensional from what I have seen. At this level he can get away with it; as long as he keeps scoring.
Well, I'll get another sniff of him on Wednesday but man, if any team takes him in the top 100(I don't think he's even draftable, unless he was playing on wooden legs the weekend I saw him...) they will be slamming their head on their desk a few hundred times over the next few years.

Old
12-22-2011, 12:40 PM
Edges7

Quote:
Well, I'll get another sniff of him on Wednesday but man, if any team takes him in the top 100(I don't think he's even draftable, unless he was playing on wooden legs the weekend I saw him...) they will be slamming their head on their desk a few hundred times over the next few years.
I don't believe that there is any question but that there are several teams who may be willing to pick him in the second round. The first year draft eligibles at forward are coming in with numbers and play that are very underwhelming.

Last edited by Edges7: 12-22-2011 at 12:58 PM.
Old
12-22-2011, 02:28 PM
Edges7

Quote:

As a PS I believe that Roy has far more offensive upside than Rocco Grimaldi has and his dratt year had a deeper Top End.