HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #17 - Buffalo Sabres vs. Montreal Canadiens - 7PM EST

Old
11-14-2011, 12:16 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

vCash: 500
There are few things that would benefit Myers more than time with Teppo in the press box.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 12:17 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Tyler Myers was still out there skating with the assistant coaches and the injured Tyler Ennis and Jochen Hecht. Thus, Myers -- who is minus-6 over his last four games and was one of the do-nothings on the ice when Lucic bowled over Miller -- is going to be a healthy scratch tonight for the first time in his career.

Outsiders might call it a stunning thing to do to the 21-year-old Myers, a former Calder Trophy winner and a guy who has a seven-year, $38.5 million contract in hand that kicks in next season. But it's no surprise to regular Sabres watchers: Myers was minus-3 on Saturday, with several brutal plays resulting in Boston goals.

"The way I've been playing in the last three of four games, it's not good," Myers said. "It's not good enough for me. I have to be better. I know that the coaches know that. Until I do, stuff like this is going to happen.

"I think there's a lot of good but there's those one or two bad mistakes I have to eliminate from my game. This is just one step -- get pissed off and come out next game and start playing the way I know I can. To do that, playing a lot more physical will help my game."

Myers wasn't physical when Miller was bowled over Saturday and knows that was a mistake.

"Definitely," he said. "We've talked about it as a team. It's definitely got to be a lot more aggressive than what it was. We all know. We've had discussions as a team. That's got to be different."
http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/...ing-skate.html

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 12:17 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
At least this time, he has two factors that will help him more than the first time:

1) Playing on the 2nd pairing, rather than the 1st;

2) Playing with a partner (Sekera) who he has tons of experience with, rather than a newcomer who he worships.

True but, unlike the constant forgiveness Grags gets, Weber seems to have a very short leash.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 12:18 PM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
No pressure for Weber tonight.

First game he plays he is out against the hottest line in the NHL. Now he is coming in after the debacle in Boston.

Hopefully he plays a solid game.
I think he will. After the first period he really calmed down. We need a player like him inserted into the lineup. The man can't fight, but he is more than willing to.

Everyone complains about how soft our top 6 is, but with Weber out, our defense is just as soft. Leopold, Ehrhoff, Grags and Sekera are not fighters. Myers is big, and can play physical, but he hasn't shown he can fight. Regher (sp?) is the only one willing to drop the gloves. We need Weber's physicality (Hitting and in front of the net) and we need his willingness to stand up for teammates.

I hope he sticks.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 12:24 PM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Quote:
I like that he mentioned being pissed off. Myers with an edge and a chip on his shoulder is something we desperately need.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 12:37 PM
barcs

Love the shakeup. 4-2 Sabres. Stafford with a pair, Gerbe and Vanek.

barcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 12:38 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

as my favorite band in the world says "know your enemy". (j/k)

We need myers to be right tonight and not in a few games from now. he plays well in montreal.

ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 12:42 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby11 View Post
We're playing at montreal...if we try to play tough we'll be in the penalty box all night
They should mention this on the pregame show. excellent point.

Old
11-14-2011, 12:42 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
True but, unlike the constant forgiveness Grags gets, Weber seems to have a very short leash.
Imagine if Weber had played Saturday and had been the one to jump Lucic later in the game - that's two big "if's" but I have to think it would have pole-vaulted Weber ahead of Gragnani in Ruff's mind.

Old
11-14-2011, 12:43 PM
DixonWard15

Nice move Lindy, its been a long time coming. Here is hoping Weber takes advantage of his chance

DixonWard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 12:47 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamers View Post
I like that he mentioned being pissed off. Myers with an edge and a chip on his shoulder is something we desperately need.
I think he's generally been humble and modest about his successes and never dwelling on any praise others have heaped on him - if anything, I suspect he probably wondered why Ruff didn't punish him sooner and kept forgiving him for his mistakes in the past...

Old
11-14-2011, 12:49 PM
Moen in Glory
Sidebar is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby11 View Post
We're playing at montreal...if we try to play tough we'll be in the penalty box all night
No worries, look what happened last time Tim Peel officiated in a habs game
http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...2/GS020188.HTM

Good luck tonight, and may Miller get well soon

Moen in Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 12:52 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Imagine if Weber had played Saturday and had been the one to jump Lucic later in the game - that's two big "if's" but I have to think it would have pole-vaulted Weber ahead of Gragnani in Ruff's mind.
Hell if Weber was playing against the Sens. I doubt he would have cried to the ref like Grags did when Konopka threw him into Enroth. I'm pretty sure Weber would have gone after him.

EDIT: Or been able to hold of Konopka and prevent himself from getting tossed into Enroth in the first place.

Last edited by joshjull: 11-14-2011 at 01:03 PM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 12:59 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

This team should be extremely ashamed and frustrated. I'd expect that to turn into an amazing effort. If they come out flat or figure out a way to lose this game, it'll be extremely pathetic.

I also don't mind Myers being scratched for a game. He could use some time to have a seat and reflect on his game. I do, however, mind MAG still playing. I realize they can't take both of them out at the same time, but MAG still being in this lineup is just baffling.

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 01:02 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

Its funny because last year myers had a real bad start and was never benched. I am sure that he must have some kind of nagging injury. I just think that it's an ammature coaching move to bench him other wise. The kind of drama that you would see on the Real World.

Old
11-14-2011, 01:06 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

I don't remember Ruff praising Myers for being the only guy to even try to go after Phillips after he did the same thing Looch did in 2010. I don't remember Ruff praising Myers for dragging Richards out of the crease last season. I don't remember Ruff praising Myers for trying to goad Lecavalier into dropping them last season.

Now Tyler's getting benched, partially for a lack of physical response, when Lindy hasn't really publicly supported the development of Myers into a meaner player, even when Tyler's shown that he can "snap" and change the game physically.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 01:10 PM
minuteater
does not cohmpeet

Quote:
Hindsight is 20/20 but with this thought begs the question, "Why not play Weber against Boston (and other physical teams) in the first place?"

minuteater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 01:33 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
I don't remember Ruff praising Myers for being the only guy to even try to go after Phillips after he did the same thing Looch did in 2010. I don't remember Ruff praising Myers for dragging Richards out of the crease last season. I don't remember Ruff praising Myers for trying to goad Lecavalier into dropping them last season.

Now Tyler's getting benched, partially for a lack of physical response, when Lindy hasn't really publicly supported the development of Myers into a meaner player, even when Tyler's shown that he can "snap" and change the game physically.
Ruff has spoken positively in the past of Myers' playing with an edge and using his size / strength physically. If you want to point out any hypocrisy by Ruff in sending mixed messages, I think it would be more justified in noting that Myers was playing a safe, defensive-minded game at the start alongside Regehr but then Ruff put pressure on him and outright told him to take chances and lead the rush more.

Many of Myers' turnovers in the past 6-7 games have come from him trying to force the play in low-percentage situations - something that I see partially as a sign he's trying to satisfy Ruff's mandate.

Old
11-14-2011, 01:45 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Yeah, I guess. I know Lindy's talked about Myers getting stronger and being more physical in abstract terms, but I feel like when Myers has actually stepped out of his comfort zone (the end of game 4), Ruff hasn't gone out of his way to commend the kid for doing it; at least publicly.

And I agree with you about the low% play thing. Despite being really up and down at ES, Myers has been very steady shorthanded, and I think it's because that's when he's playing his most instinctive hockey.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 01:57 PM
Ghost of Dale Hunter

Tyler Myers to be healthy scratch tonight!

per Buffalo News

Interesting move by Lindy. I like it. Keeping the focus on performance.

Ghost of Dale Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 02:06 PM
bfloMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpressedDAHagent View Post
Its funny because last year myers had a real bad start and was never benched. I am sure that he must have some kind of nagging injury. I just think that it's an ammature coaching move to bench him other wise. The kind of drama that you would see on the Real World.
He's supposed to be one of our top d-men and is making top dollar. But honestly, those 2 things don't even matter. Coaches stress this from squirt to the NHL - the best players will play. Right now, he's not playing well and the team needs shaking up. Understanding that your spot on the team will be dictated by your performance is important to have in your mind, especially for a young defenseman on a big deal

bfloMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 02:07 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

after the start to last year, my tollerence for myers bad play is absolutly zero. We have better players who are capable of replacing him at a moments notice. His play has been so bad that montreal would choose to match their top line against him. This is something that we cannot afford. So lindy, who is generally soft when it comes to making personal decisions, wins here. Myers was not going to perform on an acceptable level tonight because the stanley cup champions even found a way to run up the score. We could not have expected any kind of Mojo from myers tonight because as far as i have been able to tell, he lacks skill and just makes mistakes.

Old
11-14-2011, 02:09 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
Yeah, I guess. I know Lindy's talked about Myers getting stronger and being more physical in abstract terms, but I feel like when Myers has actually stepped out of his comfort zone (the end of game 4), Ruff hasn't gone out of his way to commend the kid for doing it; at least publicly..
Honestly, Ruff doesn't usually go out of his way to praise anyone without first being solicited to do so in a question by media. Normally, it takes Hamilton or one of the TBN staff to bring up a great play / save before Ruff agrees or elaborates on it. In the same way, he won't go out of his way to criticize a player publicly unless prodded by the media - and even then, it's usually tempered.

Old
11-14-2011, 02:16 PM
SabresBillsBuffalo

how is Myers a scratch but Sekera isn't

SabresBillsBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 02:19 PM
French Connection

....and to think I got slammed for this suggestion.

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=3...5&postcount=22

French Connection is offline   Reply With Quote