HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Monday, Nov 14th Jets Game Day Papers (Added Noel pregame press conference)

Old
11-14-2011, 06:36 AM
Mungman
It's you not me.

vCash: 50
Monday, Nov 14th Jets Game Day Papers (Added Noel pregame press conference)

Not my title, blame the headline writer.... I thought this is something that deserved it's own thread. From the article:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...133792563.html

Quote:
Management and some players in the Winnipeg Jets dressing room have seen enough of the Thrashers' way of doing things and are now intent on eliminating any remaining DNA.

Management doesn't like the approach the group takes, as evidenced by recent comments from coach Claude Noel.

Noel isn't the only one unhappy with the way the Jets do business. Winger Tanner Glass called out his teammates this weekend, saying, "We've got some guys that are passengers right now and not buying into the things we want to do."

"I've played with hundreds of guys that are talented enough to be in the NHL, that for whatever reason didn't have the passion or didn't want to work. And it still happens to guys that are here," said Mason. "You can get comfortable just being here. The effort level is going to be there or you'll sit in the stands."

GM Kevin Chelveldayoff is undoubtedly unhappy with his team's performance. Sunday's news that he'd recalled veteran winger Jason Jaffray from the St. John's IceCaps was telling in the fact it was not done in response to an injury.

Last edited by Mungman: 11-14-2011 at 07:40 AM.
Mungman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 06:41 AM
Mungman
It's you not me.

Interesting read.

It would appear that some of the players have had enough of some of the players. Watching Pavlec, I think he's had enough of some of his teammates at this point. It looks like some of the players are willing to not put the goathorns on management.

Jaffray will be interesting to see out there, the guy is a workhorse. He was definitely one of my favorite Moose players of all time.

(cue the moaning about the coach, GM etc.)

Old
11-14-2011, 07:03 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

Its all about effort - just play like you give a d•mn.

YWGinYYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 07:29 AM
ICdave
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Monday, Nov 14th Jets Game Day Papers (coach Noel pre-game press conference)

Monday, Nov 14th Jets Game Day Papers

Note: For those curious the Morning Jets Papers were merged for today with an already started topic. Will return to normal tomorrow!\

Financial Post: Jim Ludlow wins for business achievement. He won an award which is given to an in-house lawyer who has successfully made the leap from the legal office to the corner office to run a corporation.

Winnipeg Free Press: Death to the Thrashers and their low standards. So much for that “free year”. While I never anticipated fans to just be happy that the NHL has returned, the return of expectations is a good thing. Of course these need to be tempered by reality. Just because the team give 100% effort doesn’t mean they are going to start winning, however same will be evident on the ice.

Winnipeg Free Press: Young ones still learning to fly. Many of these young Jets were tossed into the fire a little too early. For some this can be a good thing, but for others without the development in Junior or the AHL, they haven’t been allowed to develop skill sets that are necessary for long term growth as an NHL player.

Winnipeg Free Press: Surging Jaffray called up from The Rock. The Jets are going to need Jaffray to bring the energy tonight.

Globe and Mail: Winnipeg Jets leaning on AHL to boost sagging season. Guys from the AHL like Jaffray are hungry. They will bring that hunger and determination to the game and will hopefully push the complacent forwards a bit.

Winnipeg Sun: Jets need to protect their house. Will home cooking be enough to get the Jets some victories? The team will be spending the vast majority of the next 6 weeks in Friendly Manitoba and we will see if the home crowd can help get this team some wins.

Winnipeg Free Press: Jets defenceman Derek Meech to miss 6-8 weeks after undergoing surgery. It is rather unfortunate that the Winnipeg native never really got a chance to get into a lot of Jets action before he went down with injury.

Illegal Curve: Saturday's radio show (Part 1 and Part 2.) is now available for replay. Part 1 has interviews with Aaron Portzline (Columbus Dispatch) and Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff. Part 2 has interviews with Damian Cristodero (St. Petersburg Times) and Darren Pang (TSN, NBC Sports, Fox Sports Midwest).

Jets Affiliate IceCaps News:

Winnipeg Free Press: Veterans and rookies power St. John’s to close 4-3 victory over Whale. Winnipeg NHL fans are going to start to get envious of the fans of the Jets AHL affiliate as these guys seem to be able to pull off win after win and are 6-0-2-0 in their last 8 games.

Jets next opponent news – Tampa Bay Lightning:

Winnipeg Sun: Zapping Bolts not easy. The Bolts players enjoyed their off day all over downtown Winnipeg yesterday but should be ready for tonight’s action.

Tampa Bay Online: Slow road starts continue to plague Bolts. Will we see the controversial 1-3-1 tonight?

For all the Jets news, click here.

Last edited by ICdave: 11-14-2011 at 12:49 PM.
ICdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 07:41 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

vCash: 69
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this article. Evidently, some of this team is stuck in a rut of perhaps how things were done in Atlanta, and now it just isn't going to be accepted. I really like this. I really like what I am reading here. This should be an excellent learning tool for this team and hopefully a building block in which helps define some of these players.

Quote:
Management and some players in the Winnipeg Jets dressing room have seen enough of the Thrashers' way of doing things and are now intent on eliminating any remaining DNA.

Management doesn't like the approach the group takes, as evidenced by recent comments from coach Claude Noel.

"We have to raise our standard of existence. We have a low standard of ourselves. That's what we are right now," said Noel. "That's part of trying to change your identity.
Quote:
GM Kevin Chelveldayoff is undoubtedly unhappy with his team's performance. Sunday's news that he'd recalled veteran winger Jason Jaffray from the St. John's IceCaps was telling in the fact it was not done in response to an injury.

Jaffray has been summoned to bolster the Jets and to see if he can't be an improvement over any of the players Noel has been using to date.

"It definitely makes guys check themselves at the door. Maybe if they hadn't already understood that it's not acceptable to play the way we're playing, (Cheveldayoff) is sending a message -- that if you're not going to do what's required, then you're not going to be in the lineup, that they'll bring up other guys to do it," said Mason. "I, personally, think it's a good wakeup call for our team."
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...133792563.html

11-14-2011, 07:51 AM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Funny that Noel is so pissed about effort when the highest paid guy on the team is barely showing any to get back to his position after numerous failed pinching attempts.

Yet he's shown no punishment to date.

Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 07:52 AM
Bongo

Try putting up with this for 10 years.

Not bringing Ramsey along was a mistake. This time last year he had the guys playing some of the best hockey we'd seen since the playoff season.

Bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 07:58 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
Not bringing Ramsey along was a mistake. This time last year he had the guys playing some of the best hockey we'd seen since the playoff season.
Doubt the coach would make much of a difference - the players seemed to quit last year on Ramsey too:

22-15-6 1st half - 50pts
12-21-6 2nd half - 30pts

This year seems to be a continuation of the lack of effort on the part of some of the players, IMHO. No system can teach or force effort.

YWGinYYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 08:00 AM
Mungman
It's you not me.

Quote:

And at the end of the season some of the worst. Rammer isn't the guy, he allowed Bogo and the defensive coaches to not be on speaking terms.

Old
11-14-2011, 08:23 AM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

Encouraging read.

AugustBurnsRed* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 08:58 AM
Bongo

22-15-6 1st half - 50pts
12-21-6 2nd half - 30pts

This was common the last several seasons. I believe it was a malaise brought on by playing for owners who weren't interested in improving the team. As bad as they treated the fans, I can't begin to imagine what a living hell it must have been for the employees.

Old
11-14-2011, 08:59 AM
King Woodballs
**** HFJets

vCash: 375
Quote:

For the love of all humanity can people please stop posting this.
Ramsey is and was not a very good coach.
Yes they started out good last year, but finished very poorly.

And Noel has been coaching here for 17 games. He isnt getting fired any time soon.

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 09:24 AM
Mungman
It's you not me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
For the love of all humanity can people please stop posting this.
Ramsey is and was not a very good coach.
Yes they started out good last year, but finished very poorly.

And Noel has been coaching here for 17 games. He isnt getting fired any time soon.
And if you read the article in the OP it seems the blame at this point is being squarely placed in the dressing room. Anyone who is still carrying on with this blaming the coaches/management is tilting at windmills.

Old
11-14-2011, 10:18 AM
sipowicz
The Original

Quote:

I think all of us in here have come to realize Ramsay's shortcomings and why TNSE passed him over as the first coach of the Winnipeg Jets 2.0. Once again you fail remember that the Thrashers did NOT make the play-offs last year, had a monumental second half collapse for which Ramsay had no answer, and had certain players regress in development under his watch. Quit mentioning Ramsay like he was the second coming of Scotty Bowman which he definitely is not!

sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 10:26 AM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
I think all of us in here have come to realize Ramsay's shortcomings and why TNSE passed him over as the first coach of the Winnipeg Jets 2.0. Once again you fail remember that the Thrashers did NOT make the play-offs last year, had a monumental second half collapse for which Ramsay had no answer, and had certain players regress in development under his watch. Quit mentioning Ramsay like he was the second coming of Scotty Bowman which he definitely is not!
Who regressed?...

Bryan Little was hit with the sophomore slump and was able to break out, he may not have reached his 30 goals from his rookie season but he definitely was on the upswing. Hainsey retooled his game into a shutdown defenseman in 1 year. Pavelec took immense strides from where he was the prior year in multiple facets of his game.

Bogosian pretty much stayed where he had the past couple of years through multiple coaches.

I personally didn't like Ramsay as the head coach as I don't believe he was a fit for it, however I would have liked him stay on as an assistant because I do believe he is one of the best individual teachers in the game today. He was over his head obviously, but lets not trash the guy because of that.

Old
11-14-2011, 10:29 AM
sipowicz
The Original

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
Who regressed?...

Bryan Little was hit with the sophomore slump and was able to break out, he may not have reached his 30 goals from his rookie season but he definitely was on the upswing. Hainsey retooled his game into a shutdown defenseman in 1 year. Pavelec took immense strides from where he was the prior year in multiple facets of his game.

Bogosian pretty much stayed where he had the past couple of years through multiple coaches.

I personally didn't like Ramsay as the head coach as I don't believe he was a fit for it, however I would have liked him stay on as an assistant because I do believe he is one of the best individual teachers in the game today. He was over his head obviously, but lets not trash the guy because of that.
Putting Slater back with Thorburn should straighten everything out right?

Old
11-14-2011, 10:32 AM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Putting Slater back with Thorburn should straighten everything out right?
Not sure where that come from but it is something I personally would like to see yes.

Slater doesn't look the same and neither does Thor.

They've spent multiple years together and have created very unique chemistry which we all have witnessed in the short amount of games this year.

Personally I don't like the way the lines are being setup right now because we're splitting up what was actually working.

Wellwood needs to be back with Antro and Burmi, and the GST line needs to be re-united.

Old
11-14-2011, 10:38 AM
atl thrasher344
Believe in Blueland

I love how everyone is blaming the Thrashers for why the team is sucking instead if taking responsibility themselves. Most of these guys were on the Thrashers for no more than two or three years. If playing for the Thrashers was really "corruptive," there's no way that players who have been winners and character players for a big part of their lives would just lose that in two or three years.

I think that's pretty crappy.

Craig Ramsay had these guys playing their guts out by the first 10 or so games and Noel is content with giving it 40 games for players to finally buy in. How that's the Thrashers' fault is beyond me. I'm not trying to make this an argument for how Ramsay is the coach for this team, but I am pointing out how a "lesser coach" was able to do his job much better than the "better coach" from the start of the season.

Last edited by atl thrasher344: 11-14-2011 at 10:47 AM.
atl thrasher344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 10:52 AM
sipowicz
The Original

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl thrasher344 View Post
I love how everyone is blaming the Thrashers for why the team is sucking instead if taking responsibility themselves. Most of these guys were on the Thrashers for no more than two or three years. If playing for the Thrashers was really "corruptive," there's no way that players who have been winners and character players for a big part of their lives would just lose that in two or three years.

I think that's pretty crappy.

Craig Ramsay had these guys playing their guts out by the first 10 or so games and Noel is content with giving it 40 games for players to finally buy in. How that's the Thrashers' fault is beyond me. Just causse the team didn't win very much doesn't mean they didn't try hard.

Chris Thorburn 17 GP/ 0 goals 1 assist -6

Bryan Little 17 GP/ 2 goals 3 assists -4

Evander Kane 16 GP/ 5 goals 4 assists -4

Blake Wheeler 17 GP/ 0 goals 7 assists

Dustin Byfuglien 17 GP/ 2 goals 7 assists -9

Andrew Ladd 17 GP/ 4 goals 2 assists -2

Tim Stapleton 13 GP/ 1 goal 3 assists -3

Johnny Oduya 16 GP/ 1 goal 3 assists -4

With numbers like these it's easy to see why the team isn't winning!

Old
11-14-2011, 11:06 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

vCash: 69
Quote:

And how were they doing in a month and a half from now? and the next month? and the next month? and the next month? etc.. answer: mediocre to below mediocre.

Craig Ramsay is not an NHL Head Coach. If he was, he would have been occupying that role more than 3 years out of the last 19 years.

Would I have been okay with Ramsay as an asst. coach? yes, and I said that at the time. However, he has yet to prove himself as an NHL Head Coach or even be an NHL Head Coach for more than 1 season over the last 19 years. That says something, for me.

In my own humble opinion, last years Thrashers are and were overrated given their first half. To look at the numbers, it was one 6 game win streak that made them what they were. Other than that, mediocrity and below is what they were as a team.

At the 17 game mark last season (where we are now), Atlanta was a mediocre 8-7-2. They then lost their next 2 games and sat at 8-9-2 heading into a 6 game home-stand to finish out the month of November.

They then won all 6 games in a row of that 6 game home-stand to finish off the month of November at 13-9-3. Overall, an average about .500 start to the year and then a great 6 game home-stand.

Then we go into December where they were 7-6-3, bringing us to the halfway point of the season at game 41 and a record of 20-15-6. That 6 game win streak during that home-stand to finish out November is what put this team in a good position. Other than that, they were a mediocre hockey team.

In January they went 4-4-3. Hovering at mediocrity and bringing them to a record of 24-19-9 after 52 games. Nice record, but what set them apart was that November 6-game home-stand. Aside from that, they have been mediocre.

In February they went 2-7-2, continuing on with their mediocre to well below mediocre play. At the end of February, this team sits at 26-26-11 after 63 games. At this point, they had won just 6 games in 2 months.

Again, they were a mediocre hockey team to this date aside from a strong 6 game winning home stand.

In March they went a mediocre 7-6-1, bringing their overall record to 33-32-12 after 77 games. Again, a mediocre hockey team the entire season to this date aside from that 6 game home-stand win streak at the end of November.

In April, to finish off the season, they went 1-4, bringing their final overall record to 34-36-12 in 82 games, for a total of 80 points.

In looking at these numbers, and facts, the ONLY time this team was not a mediocre (or below) hockey team, was that 6 game home stand at the end of November in which they accumulated 6 wins. Aside from that string of wins, this team wasn't too good and nothing more than a .500 or below, mediocre or below, hockey team. They never once before or after their 6 game winning streak in November put together a string of more than 2 wins at a time.

Sure, at some points some players were playing better than we have seen to date, and at other times they were playing the same or worse. But, as a "team", they were truly never more than a .500, mediocre hockey club.

Last edited by Guerzy: 11-14-2011 at 02:10 PM.
Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:27 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl thrasher344 View Post
Craig Ramsay had these guys playing their guts out by the first 10 or so games and Noel is content with giving it 40 games for players to finally buy in. How that's the Thrashers' fault is beyond me. I'm not trying to make this an argument for how Ramsay is the coach for this team, but I am pointing out how a "lesser coach" was able to do his job much better than the "better coach" from the start of the season.
There is a difference between playing one's heart out in an unstructured environment and playing under a system where one must be defensively responsible. The majority of players that are struggling right now are doing so IMO because they are being asked to play in a way that teams must play if they wish to ever advance to the playoffs. It is not a coincidence that the Thrashers folded their tents at precisely the time that other teams severely tighten things up defensively.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:28 AM
Bongo

The 6 game win streak was the longest in franchise history. That's probably why we were so giddy. As i said earlier, my theory about the mid season slump has to do more with management than overachieving.

I mentioned in another thread that good efforts against stronger foes were followed by weak outings against teams they should have beat. This obviously a holdover from the Thrashers DNA.

Old
11-14-2011, 11:39 AM
ICdave
HFB Partner

Game Day Preview: Lightning @ Jets (with Jets lineup)

Illegal Curve: Game day preview. GST line is back together.

Illegal Curve: Lineup cards.

Last edited by ICdave: 11-14-2011 at 12:57 PM.
Old
11-14-2011, 12:15 PM
ps241
It's closing time.

Quote:
The 6 game win streak was the longest in franchise history. That's probably why we were so giddy. As i said earlier, my theory about the mid season slump has to do more with management than overachieving.

I mentioned in another thread that good efforts against stronger foes were followed by weak outings against teams they should have beat. This obviously a holdover from the Thrashers DNA.
Ramsay got the team into 25th spot which isn't good and combine that with how they finished down the stretch and I get why TNSE wanted to go a new direction. I have heard very good things about Craig from guys who played for him but I do think he is probably an excellent careen assistant coach.

Now so far Noel is doing nothing to distinguish himself and perhaps at the end of the year we will come to find out Claude is a career assistant as well, or maybe the Jets finish this year off like the Thrashers started last year and Noel earns another season. let's let it play out for 82 games and see how things look.

I really don't think Ramsay was going to step down into an assistant role with the team he was just head coach of guys. That would not have been fair to Ramsay or coach Noel or the players.

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 12:48 PM
ICdave
HFB Partner

Noel pregame press conference

As usual, Coach Claude Noel spoke to the media after practice this morning in anticipation for tonight’s game versus Tampa Bay.

On juggling the lines for tonight

“Just trying to get some things going, we’ve had the same twos with a lot of lines, with the three lines we’ve had two guys on the same line since the start, we’re just trying to juggle around just to see if it unjars some things. Sometimes it helps your focus too you’ve got to pay more attention to details, it’s probably time.”

And more comments from Coach Noel.