HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Luongo's in...............

Closed Thread

Old
09-11-2004, 09:54 PM
mcphee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPantherFan
He sure choked you jealous b****** Ya Theo has as much shot of playing in the finals as Lalime does :lol OFF TO THE FINALS!GO MARTY/LOUIE.Habs haters on Luongo stick it
I think people can discuss the relative merits of 2 tremendous goalies without having to figure out your childish drivel. For the record, I would take Luongo over Theo at this point, but that's my opinion. I could be wrong.

Old
09-11-2004, 09:59 PM
EaGLE1

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH²
I think we couldn't have been worse. Luongo made the game much closer than it should have been, and gave the Czechs a lot of confidence with soft goals and bad rebound controls.
I agree with you. The Czechs had the momentum all game long, in great part, because Brodeur was not in the net + Luongo's juicy rebounds/softies.

Brodeur is a wall in international tournaments and time will tell who was the best Brodeur or Roy? I begin to think that Brodeur is the best. His reflexes are quicker and his play around the net is incredible. Both are incredible money goaltenders.

Luongo, with 1 really great season under his belt IS GREENER THAN A PEA and terribly overated.

On the other hand, Theodore achieved more. He's a money goaltender too, except in some games in the '04 playoffs where he was allowing softies at the worst time.
Theodore is the goalie that will push Brodeur in the future.

Old
09-11-2004, 10:00 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
I think we couldn't have been worse. Luongo made the game much closer than it should have been, and gave the Czechs a lot of confidence with soft goals and bad rebound controls.
Well the Czechs did dominate of a good part of the game......so i dont thinks its fair to shoulder most of the blame on Luongo.

Plus this was the stiffest competition Canadas faced so far, and thats right, Luongo experinced it first hand in this championship of the countries.

Again, just my opinion............

Old
09-11-2004, 10:12 PM
mcphee

I thought Canada's D was a bit lost without Brodeur's puckhandling tonight, but you can't blame Luongo for that. Theo's no better in that dept.

Old
09-11-2004, 10:18 PM
EaGLE1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
I thought Canada's D was a bit lost without Brodeur's puckhandling tonight, but you can't blame Luongo for that. Theo's no better in that dept.
true. Theodore was a liability last season. He was not that bad before...he should practice that a lot. There's a reason why the Devils are that sucessfull, they are always on the offensive.

Old
09-11-2004, 10:23 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
Well the Czechs did dominate of a good part of the game......so i dont thinks its fair to shoulder most of the blame on Luongo.

Plus this was the stiffest competition Canadas faced so far, and thats right, Luongo experinced it first hand in this championship of the countries.

Again, just my opinion............
It's all just my opinion too. I don't claim to hold any truth or anything. But I always feel strongly about my opinions

I don't agree that the Czechs dominated a good part of the game.

I thought the game was won when Lemieux scored. I'm sure the Czech didn't feel very good back then either. But then Luongo gave up the first goal. Which, altough deflected, was easily stoppable. Made Canada a bit more nervous, and gave the Czech confidence again.

They only started to dominate somewhere early in the third period. Then Luongo gave up a juicy, awful rebound on a point shot on the Czech PP directly on Havlat's stick. And the whole momentum of the game changed. They started playing as crappy as they were when Cujo was in net against Sweden way back at the olympics.

Then Draper scored, and Luongo again couldn't make the save on Elias. It's actually the goal I thought he was the least to blame for. Even though everyone thought it was the weakest one.

Old
09-11-2004, 10:47 PM
Kirk Muller

Luongo was good. Not great like the CBC was pimping him, but not as bad as some of led on.

He came up with some huge saves especially in overtime, but looked shakey. He wasn't following the puck very well, often looked lost and out of position. The goals I wouldn't necessarily call soft, just goals that a big time goalie would at least stop 2 of the 3.

His two biggest problem imo were rebounds and his inability to at least stop the puck behind the net. Its one thing to not be able to fire it around the boards, but he is way to slow at skating and reading the dump ins and getting behind the net.

Overall, good game especially for his first test. Do I feel comfortable in net with him? Not in the least.

Old
09-11-2004, 11:02 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13
Luongo was good. Not great like the CBC was pimping him, but not as bad as some of led on.

He came up with some huge saves especially in overtime, but looked shakey. He wasn't following the puck very well, often looked lost and out of position. The goals I wouldn't necessarily call soft, just goals that a big time goalie would at least stop 2 of the 3.

His two biggest problem imo were rebounds and his inability to at least stop the puck behind the net. Its one thing to not be able to fire it around the boards, but he is way to slow at skating and reading the dump ins and getting behind the net.

Overall, good game especially for his first test. Do I feel comfortable in net with him? Not in the least.
Maybe I sounded too negative but that's exactly how I feel too.

Old
09-11-2004, 11:18 PM
High flyin' Habs*

Send a message via ICQ to High flyin' Habs* Send a message via MSN to High flyin' Habs*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rather Gingerly 1
I would have chosen Theodore
I would have taken Theo to.

Old
09-11-2004, 11:28 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Maybe I sounded too negative but that's exactly how I feel too.
Well maybe im being to negative on Theo......Lets put it this way, Brodeurs the best man for the job.

Old
09-11-2004, 11:47 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Well maybe im being to negative on Theo......Lets put it this way, Brodeurs the best man for the job.
Brodeur is incredible

Old
09-11-2004, 11:52 PM
Raider917

vCash: 179
Quote:
Brodeur is incredible

and hes seems to be getting better!!! two years ago i was skeptical about him even after he had won cups cause of his only facing 20 shots (or less) in a game with new jersey.

since he played in the olympics though, he has improved on allowing those weak goals and now doesnt allow any!!

Old
09-12-2004, 12:07 AM
Jean_Jacket41
Neely = HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaGLE1
On the other hand, Theodore achieved more. He's a money goaltender too, except in some games in the '04 playoffs where he was allowing softies at the worst time.
Theodore is the goalie that will push Brodeur in the future.

He will have to puch very hard! To push Brodeur, you have to become the BEST goaltender ever. Its very unlikely that Theo will be the one...

Old
09-12-2004, 12:24 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
I'm glad Theo's not playing. If Canada would have lost tonight, Luongo would have been vilified from coast to coast. He let in some softies, which Theo has been known to do also. The last few goalies who led Canada to defeat with poor play were M-A Fleury and Pascal Leclaire. Fleury is a mess and hopefully will recover. Leclaire may or may not ever play in the NHL. Even Joseph has been unsuccessful since his Salt Lake meltdown(not to mention his 1996 World Cup fiasco). Let Theo experience Stanley before he goes for world dominance, it'll be good for him.

Old
09-12-2004, 04:49 AM
Rather Gingerly 1*

Quote:
Me too.

Say I'm a crazy homer I don't care. Luongo has poor rebound control, even poorer stick handling abilities than Theodore and he is GREEN.

And I'm not even the biggest Theodore fan. This says it all.

Either way Brodeur is a much much better option than either Theodore or Luongo. He's a leader, and his teams play with a lot of confidence. All this talk about Brodeur not playing not being a big loss because we have Luongo to back him up is hogwash. Brodeur at this point is twice the goalie Theodore and Luongo are IMHO.
Theodore is a proven Hart caliber goalie. To the best of my knowledge Luongo hasn't even won a Vezina yet let alone a Hart trophy.

Team Canada dodged a bullet last night. Luongo let in a couple of softies to almost blow the tournament.

Old
09-12-2004, 04:54 AM
Rather Gingerly 1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothskater
I would have taken Theo to.
If Luongo plays against the Finns the results are not going to be liked in Canada

Old
09-12-2004, 05:58 AM
Disco Volante

I would have chosen Theo too like most of you, mainly because he has more experience of playing under pressure, Luongo not being very familiar with playoff hockey. But I don't think Theo is a better goaltender flat out. In fact, I think exactly the opposite, I think Luongo is the best canadian goaltender (yeah, yeah, I know, Brodeur is a God with pads...) right now and only getting better. He only lacks a little experience, and yesterday's game will be great for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1
Correction 3 shoddy goals behind that BIIG piece of ****.

I told you this kid sucks against international comp, and a bit of pressure. Bench pinky.
First, saying a player is a big piece of **** is indisputably brilliant. Second, this kid sucks against international competition? Was only the fourth goalie from the CHL (I don't dare to say from Canada, I'm not sure) to win the "Top Goaltender" award at the WJC. Most valuable player of the gold medal game of the World Championships last may (in which he is 11-1-1 in the 3 years he played in the tourney). Pretty nice for a piece of **** who sucks against international comp... (sometimes the users here on HF make you wonder).

As for the game, I think he did pretty well.

Quote:
I give Canada the credence for the win, as for Luongo...
Brodeur said he apologized to Luongo for putting him in that uneasy nerve-wrecking situation (not having played a single meaningful game and jumping in for the semis). Gretzky said team Canada stole the game and was now even with the Tchecks for Nagano's heart breaker... But hey, Luongo sucks against international competition, so it must be that Team Canada saved him from his bad performance and not the opposite...

Old
09-12-2004, 07:49 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean_Jacket41

He will have to puch very hard! To push Brodeur, you have to become the BEST goaltender ever. Its very unlikely that Theo will be the one...
See ? You can express an opinion without us going, Oh Yeah, how about Raycroft and then spiralling thru Jim Carey jokes. When Brodeur's career is being eulogized, I think he may end up as one of the few names in the who was the best ever debate. I think Theo is great but I can't see him at that level. I don't know that Luongo will either. We're pretty quick to annoint someone as great though, I love what Kipper did this year, but there's this thing called the test of time.

Old
09-12-2004, 10:26 AM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Volante
I would have chosen Theo too like most of you, mainly because he has more experience of playing under pressure, Luongo not being very familiar with playoff hockey. But I don't think Theo is a better goaltender flat out. In fact, I think exactly the opposite, I think Luongo is the best canadian goaltender (yeah, yeah, I know, Brodeur is a God with pads...) right now and only getting better. He only lacks a little experience, and yesterday's game will be great for him.

First, saying a player is a big piece of **** is indisputably brilliant. Second, this kid sucks against international competition? Was only the fourth goalie from the CHL (I don't dare to say from Canada, I'm not sure) to win the "Top Goaltender" award at the WJC. Most valuable player of the gold medal game of the World Championships last may (in which he is 11-1-1 in the 3 years he played in the tourney). Pretty nice for a piece of **** who sucks against international comp... (sometimes the users here on HF make you wonder).

As for the game, I think he did pretty well.

Brodeur said he apologized to Luongo for putting him in that uneasy nerve-wrecking situation (not having played a single meaningful game and jumping in for the semis). Gretzky said team Canada stole the game and was now even with the Tchecks for Nagano's heart breaker... But hey, Luongo sucks against international competition, so it must be that Team Canada saved him from his bad performance and not the opposite...

What really makes me wonder is if people defending Roberto's performance last night actually watched the game, or are they just talking... He battled the puck all night. His bulky size came through, but it certainly was not a decent performance that many make it out to be... 3 goals, and it could have been much more. Each of those goals that went by him last night were down right awful very frustrating to watch. You can justify it all you want, but he was absolutely crap last night. He talks the talk, but he also blew 3 leads in a VERY short time span (after we scored). As for Team Canada bailing him out, from what I saw, they certainly did.

I will say this in forebodance. If Canada is expecting to win the whole tourney, we need a better performance starting from the net out (I am meaning if Marty isn't capable of going). Cause the next team we play will be preying on goaltending flaws. Outside of Brodeur, Kipper has been the most impressive goaltender in the tourney.

As for Vokoun... We are fortunate he wasn't very hot last night. Cause he certainly let in a couple of bad eggs as well. His positioning was like watching an EA sports goalie trying to play.

Old
09-12-2004, 11:27 AM
Marchy79

Quote:
Imo, Ribs, Souray and Ryder had more to do with the success of the team

I disagree with that. Too many soft goals to begin, and it wasent untill around game 7 in Boston he came aorund IMO

That true, but 2 games?? Maybe im being harsh, but youd expect more from a goalie of this calibre

Thats the past, what he does now and has done recently is more improtant

Thats nit picking imo. Hes a differrent person, different character. The point is, he is capable of getting the job done, and he did tonight in ot when it counted the most
Ribs, Souray, and Ryder were indeed a part of the reason for the habs success, as was Koivu, Zednik and a few others... But every report you see in regards to the habs success this past season, it's the 50 some odd less goals against that was the reason. As much as these guys mentioned above were part of our success, our offence was still pretty anemic, and it took very solid goaltending to get us in a position for the playoffs.

Disagreeing about the playoff run is fine, we all see the game differently. I saw Theo's playoff run start weakly, but it came like a train... After he got settled in, he was very dominant in a tight series against the Bad news Bears.

As for the Tampa Series, we weren't in it right from the get go. I do believe we could have beaten them, but they really nailed us down in transitional play, and the quebec connection made us pay. Theo was not completely solid in that series, but then again no one emblazoned with our insignia on their chest really was. They were firing from all cylinders, we weren't. That is why it went as quick as it did. Theo gave a great effort in games 1 & 2. He made those 2 games winnable, game 4 was blown, but all in all he was decent.

As for the past... That past was only 2 years ago, and he has just entered the prime years of a player (2 more years before he enters the 'goalies prime'.

And as for 'nitpicking' or what not, call it what you will, I call it that he didn't assume any of the responsibility of his team's failure. Sure he had great individual numbers, but he failed to live up to the code. The code being, you live and die as a TEAM. His failures are Florida's failures, Florida's failures are his failures.

Old
09-12-2004, 09:00 PM
EaGLE1

Quote:
Ribs, Souray, and Ryder were indeed a part of the reason for the habs success, as was Koivu, Zednik and a few others... But every report you see in regards to the habs success this past season, it's the 50 some odd less goals against that was the reason. As much as these guys mentioned above were part of our success, our offence was still pretty anemic, and it took very solid goaltending to get us in a position for the playoffs.

Disagreeing about the playoff run is fine, we all see the game differently. I saw Theo's playoff run start weakly, but it came like a train... After he got settled in, he was very dominant in a tight series against the Bad news Bears.

As for the Tampa Series, we weren't in it right from the get go. I do believe we could have beaten them, but they really nailed us down in transitional play, and the quebec connection made us pay. Theo was not completely solid in that series, but then again no one emblazoned with our insignia on their chest really was. They were firing from all cylinders, we weren't. That is why it went as quick as it did. Theo gave a great effort in games 1 & 2. He made those 2 games winnable, game 4 was blown, but all in all he was decent.

As for the past... That past was only 2 years ago, and he has just entered the prime years of a player (2 more years before he enters the 'goalies prime'.

And as for 'nitpicking' or what not, call it what you will, I call it that he didn't assume any of the responsibility of his team's failure. Sure he had great individual numbers, but he failed to live up to the code. The code being, you live and die as a TEAM. His failures are Florida's failures, Florida's failures are his failures.
I don't see much difference between last year Florida and MTL 3 years ago.

Theo bring us to the 2nd round while Luongo didn't bring them close to the 8th spot.

It's not just about having good Save %, it's important to get the wins. Theodore know how to win a game.

Luongo is a good goalie, but he's overated and he's not the 2nd best goalie in the world IMO. He's top 5 though.

In the world cup, he was looking so nervous.

Closed Thread