HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Draft (Early Discussion)

Closed Thread

Old
01-17-2012, 06:44 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
This question is mostly for Hoss, since I know he watches the Knights

How do you feel about Michael Houser as a late-round goalie pick?
I wouldn't at all be against drafting him in the third or fourth round. He's athletic and he's a battler. He's a bit raw, I find, as he slides around in his net probably a bit too much, but all he does is stop pucks and alot of the time, even though he plays for a great team, he'll be the busier of the two goalies on any given night.

The thing I would say about Houser is that he doesn't have great numbers because he plays for a great team, the team has great numbers because he's a wall for them. London was thought of, going into the year, as a pretty young team (Alot of their players are draft eligible this year or next) and he's just given them the confidence to go out and make plays, knowing that he has their back when/if turnovers happen.

Another guy to keep your eye on in London is Seth Griffith. Again, another guy that probably should have been drafted last year that's just been great for London this year. He has a great shot and solid playmaking abilities.. his skating has improved quite a bit and while I wouldn't call him a gritty player, he does show a willingness to get in the corners and engage in battles - though he could stand to be a little more engaged.

I'd love the the Hawks to pick either guy this year, any round after the 2nd would be good with me.

Old
01-18-2012, 01:17 AM
BiBoFro*

We need to trade up and grab Griffin Reinhart.

Then we will have no use for a Gleason type player in free agency. I FULLY believe he is capable of playing in the NHL right away. 6'5, 210 lbs. Yes please.

Old
01-18-2012, 10:34 AM
hawksfan50

Of course there is a possibility STAN could try to trade up or trade down (the former depending on whether he thinks the assets given up are worth the vale potential in return;the latter depending on whether his first rounder targets are already off the board --for instance suppose he targets a goalie in round one but the top 2 Subban and Vasilvevski are already gone by the time we pick and he could not trade up to gety them--in which case maybe he is satisfied with getting his #3 or #4 goalie target and he thinks he could still do that in the top 40 overall--so he trades our (assumed)_ late first rounder down a few spots to 35-40 and gets maybe another 2nd next year or maybe this year if tyht team hasa later 2nd,,,whatever-that is just one example..

However in this thread we have to eliminate all trade up or down scenarios and just concentrate on who is likely still on the board for us instead of more elaborate scenarios..

So what do we want who realistically might stillbe there;

1. IF we draft 25-30 ...
OR
2. IF we falter and draft 20-24 ...

Let us not contemplate falling to 15-19th..

IN any case,all the top 8 d-men are probably off the board by the mid-first and certainly by the 20th pick ---I doubt we care to get excitted by the d-men after that who probably could be valued as 2nd round material as much as a few are thouight possible late firsts-hardly worth the risk IMO...

GOALIES--yes the #1 and #2 ranked goalies are probably going 15-30 (even though theirtrue value could be a lot higher --but both could be off the board by #25...so if we don't get a shot at either and Stan can't deal down into the 30's where maybe westill get one of the #3 or #4 goalie targets --MAYBE STAN takes the best remaining goalie target with the 25-30th pick?

THE LUCIC --big nasty hitting power winger who is good defensively can fight and has maybe enough skills to score....the closest thing might be TOM WILSON PLYMOUTH WHALERS ....on many rankings he is a late first to early 2nd (28-33)*

*ISS Jan rankings #28 overall
*Craig Button -Jan 16 rankings #32 overall
*Central Scouting Mid-Term #33 NA skater

So there seems a consensus he is a late first /early 2nd value...Tom Wilson is 6'4 195 (probably heavier by now) 6 goals 14 assists +15 and 112 PIM's already in 36GP this season...he was expected to score more but being a huger hitter ,fighter and nasty takes up los of energy..I do not know if he'll ever score like Lucic,but he can hurt guys with his hits and fighting will protect some of our skill guys...He skates pretty good for is size..HE would be my prime target unless we go goalie...
It would be hard to pass on either of the top 2 goalies if eaither makes it to our pick
-but I can't see them falling that low (Maybe Vasilevski --because opf the KHL/Russian factor) ---after that I don;t think there is cvonsensus on the next 2 goalies...I personally rank JON GILLIES (Indiana ICe uSHL andthe #3 goalie tartget and COLLIN OLSSON USNDTP as the #4 target in first-time drtaft eligible goalies ---some insist on other candidates ...HOWEVER we could grab OLDER goalies with our 2nd rounder--goalies who bloomed later or somehow never got drafted in 2010 or 2011 -- whether a WILSON +an older goalie is a better 1-2 haul with our first 2 picks than a younger goalie (albeit only 3rd or 4th on the goalie target list) AND also an older goalie with the 2nd rounder (ie. we take 2 goalies with the first 2 picks ) --I do not know..

A 3rd strategy if WILSON is off the board and we opt to forgoe a chance at the younger goalie 3rd or 4th goalie targets who woon't last till our 2nd rounder spot --is to grab another skilled dynamic forward ....My option here would be to roll the first rounder dice on CRISTOVAL NIEVES --always a higher risk with drafting high schoolers --the skinnyon him is ooodles of skill but you don't know if the effort translates up to higher levels ...that is always the risk on high schoolers..So perhaps va boom or bust pick --whereas withy Wilson aty least there are other attributes if his skill level and scoring do not improve...

Old
01-18-2012, 03:03 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiBoFro View Post
We need to trade up and grab Griffin Reinhart.

Then we will have no use for a Gleason type player in free agency. I FULLY believe he is capable of playing in the NHL right away. 6'5, 210 lbs. Yes please.
Just because a player is physically able to play in the NHL, doesn't mean they should.. especially not at a position as tough as defense.

I'm all for picking Reinhart if he's available, or trading a mid prospect + our 1st to move up if he's within striking distance.. but I certainly wouldn't be expecting him to jump straight into our line-up.. and with how well Olsen showed in his stint and in the pre-season, I would assume that would make it all the less likely he earns a spot on the team.

Old
01-18-2012, 03:19 PM
BBSeabs27
#freeseabs

What are the chances of Galchenyuk going 13-15?? If so, Hawks should grab him.

Old
01-18-2012, 03:22 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBSeabs27 View Post
if he is 13-15... how should the Hawks draft him? We are going to pick between 18 and 30... and he will be Top10

Old
01-18-2012, 03:22 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
None. Galchenyuk is going to be a top-10 pick, injured or not. There are very few forwards as offensively gifted as him in the draft. The fact he's also a centre, a position highly-coveted, makes it all the less likely he falls out of the top-10.

Old
01-18-2012, 03:32 PM
BBSeabs27
#freeseabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
if he is 13-15... how should the Hawks draft him? We are going to pick between 18 and 30... and he will be Top10
Trading to get a higher pick??

Old
01-18-2012, 03:35 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

don't expect this to happen in this (what is considered) deep draft

Old
01-18-2012, 03:40 PM
Sevanston

Galchenyuk is still a top 10 pick.

Like Brett Connolly in 2010, he showed way too much before this year to fall out of the top 10.

Old
01-19-2012, 09:11 PM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksfan50 View Post
A 3rd strategy if WILSON is off the board and we opt to forgoe a chance at the younger goalie 3rd or 4th goalie targets who woon't last till our 2nd rounder spot --is to grab another skilled dynamic forward ....My option here would be to roll the first rounder dice on CRISTOVAL NIEVES --always a higher risk with drafting high schoolers --the skinnyon him is ooodles of skill but you don't know if the effort translates up to higher levels ...that is always the risk on high schoolers..So perhaps va boom or bust pick --whereas withy Wilson aty least there are other attributes if his skill level and scoring do not improve...
Interesting. Nieves is on my short list for forward as well. 6'3" and a plus skater. Showed well at Ivan Hlinka. Dman, Im liking Skeji right now, also rumored as a plus skater for his size.

Old
01-19-2012, 09:14 PM
BiBoFro*

Quote:
Trading to get a higher pick??
Lool, some people are very narrow sighted and don't realize the answer is right infront of them.

It is entirely possible to move up to pick him.

Old
01-19-2012, 09:51 PM
xX Hot Fuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiBoFro View Post
Lool, some people are very narrow sighted and don't realize the answer is right infront of them.

It is entirely possible to move up to pick him.
Yeah but what would we offer? Morin, 1st, and a 2nd?

Old
01-20-2012, 12:58 AM
BiBoFro*

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
Yeah but what would we offer? Morin, 1st, and a 2nd?
Could be about right, but at the same time, might be a little of an overpayment. We're not jousting for the 1st overall so maybe we can offer a little less.

Old
01-20-2012, 05:33 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Bowman does not trade up, he won't trade assets away for 10 spots higher when our 1st can end up better than the earlier pick - especially in this deep draft

We even have a chance at Ebert without trading up... this alone should tell you enough about the idea of trading up

Old
01-20-2012, 03:39 PM
BiBoFro*

Quote:
Bowman does not trade up, he won't trade assets away for 10 spots higher when our 1st can end up better than the earlier pick - especially in this deep draft

We even have a chance at Ebert without trading up... this alone should tell you enough about the idea of trading up
You don't think Griffin Reinhart is better than Ebert?

Old
01-21-2012, 08:57 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

I don't think Reinhardt will be available when we pick. I've seen some early mocks that had Ebert around #25

Old
01-21-2012, 02:13 PM
BiBoFro*

Quote:
I don't think Reinhardt will be available when we pick. I've seen some early mocks that had Ebert around #25
Hmm. What about Myles Bell?

Should we take a late round flyer on him.. or disregard him at all for his Heatley-like actions.

Old
01-22-2012, 01:37 PM
Fregus
Modo Hockey

Defenseman Ludvig Byström will likely be available at the time of your pick. Solid twoway game, great hockey sense and reads the game extremely well. Not the type of d-man who will blast rockets from the blue line but still a real offensive force, think Enström.

He has spent the last month on the MODO senior team in the SEL and is playing pretty much flawless, just getting like 10 minutes of ice time a game though.

Anyway, why I posted this here is because the Blackhawks is his favourite NHL team. Would be cool if you picked him.

Old
01-22-2012, 01:45 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fregus View Post
Defenseman Ludvig Byström will likely be available at the time of your pick. Solid twoway game, great hockey sense and reads the game extremely well. Not the type of d-man who will blast rockets from the blue line but still a real offensive force, think Enström.

He has spent the last month on the MODO senior team in the SEL and is playing pretty much flawless, just getting like 10 minutes of ice time a game though.

Anyway, why I posted this here is because the Blackhawks is his favourite NHL team. Would be cool if you picked him.
How does Klas Dahlbeck look?

How far away from NHL do you think he is

Old
01-22-2012, 03:17 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

better ask the guy that is fan of Linköping. Hope for an update, he was here a few times.

Not sure if Fregus can answer this as Modo fan...

Old
01-27-2012, 07:00 PM
BBSeabs27
#freeseabs

Thoughts on Brady Skjei?? Big guy at 6'3 200lbs.

Old
01-27-2012, 07:16 PM
Not Now John
I'm being repressed!

vCash: 1218
Quote:
Thoughts on Brady Skjei?? Big guy at 6'3 200lbs.
I haven't done much research on him but #18 in Central Scouting Midseason isn't bad. But that's really all I know about him to this point. We'll see as the season continues on.

Old
01-28-2012, 10:59 AM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Skeji is reported to be among the upper tier skating dmen avaliable in the draft, hence his rise in the rankings despite limited offense. His uncle Barry Karn is a professional skating coach with the Flames, Lightning, and Blues. Karn is also reported to have done work with the Blackhawks in the past.

Reports are Skeji is an allaround dman but not standing out at any one thing, maybe except for skating. I like his size and reports about his skating.

Interesting prospect. May go anywhere from lower end of the first thru mid second.

edit:
http://mnhockeyprospects.com/2012/01...d-off-the-ice/

Last edited by ChiGuySez: 01-28-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old
01-29-2012, 09:09 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Eberts stock has fallen big time. Could easily get him if we want

still like him and his upside

Closed Thread