HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Enroth in net .... Can he? Will he? Is he?

Old
11-17-2011, 06:22 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Some firmly grasp the notion that the hype balloon peaked beyond reality after Olympics/Vezina. Anything less and it is an opportunity to point out that that season was a fluke. I think most can appreciate how good he is, and can feel confident in him in a playoff series, in which he has already shown to be capable of performing in.
Add in that Miller has the 3rd highest cap hit in the NHL amongst goalies and expectations are high.

Right now, Miller's stats (.909 Save% and 2.86 GAA) are mediocre. The Sabres could really use for him to get healthy, get his head straight, and be better.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 07:30 AM
HiddenInLight

I'm personally wondering if Miller suffered an injury early on and has been just playing through it. It would make sense considering he has been known to do the same in the past. We will see when miller recovers from the concussion. I think that if he HAD another injury this extra time will help to give it a chance to heal.

That being said, this should be a good test for enroth. It will give us a better chance to see what he is made of, especially considering the slump our team has been in recently. I've noticed that when a backup plays, the rest of the team picks up the slack and plays better. Now that enroth is in long term and the team isn't on fire like they were at the end of last season, we will see how far along enroth is. To be honest even if he plays average during this stretch, id be happy. Its still a massive step up from lalaime.

I also think that last nights game says something about millers performance of late. If you are going to play poorly you can't expect him to hold the team. Which is why enroth got blown up last night. We play aloppy defence this year that's why our goaltenders aren't doing as well as they should. Hopefully lindy will do something about that problem we seem to be having. We will be a much better team if our defence can stop playing with their pants around their ankles.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 10:35 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

This should be a good test for Enroth. Going against the Hurricanes who have a fair number of players who can make him look bad. Our defense needs to be better, and stay out of his line of sight. No screening your own goalie please! Hopefully Enroth bounces back with a stronger game.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 11:51 AM
BowieSabresFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
This should be a good test for Enroth. Going against the Hurricanes who have a fair number of players who can make him look bad. Our defense needs to be better, and stay out of his line of sight. No screening your own goalie please! Hopefully Enroth bounces back with a stronger game.
This, though I don't have faith in the situational awareness of some of our d-men to not screen Enroth.

BowieSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 02:26 PM
HockeyTerror

Quote:
Enroth has already shown he's as good as the team defense in front of him. Just like every other goalie who isn't having a "stand on his head" night.

Hopefully Staal feels the need to add to the - in his +/- tonight and the team doesn't hang Enroth out to dry.

Last edited by Chainshot: 11-18-2011 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Staal over Stoll
HockeyTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 09:56 PM
Doyle

Why Jhonas Enroth Won’t Win the Calder
http://nhlhotstove.com/why-jhonas-en...in-the-calder/

Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 10:02 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Well, that was a good test for Enroth. And he scored an A+. He looked solid, focused, and energetic. The team in front of him looked much better also, so that helped. Tomorrow (if he plays) will be a rare back to back appearance so we'll see if he can tough out the grind of another top performance. As long as the team plays well, there's a good chance he'll be fine.

Old
11-18-2011, 10:05 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Well, that was a good test for Enroth. And he scored an A+. He looked solid, focused, and energetic. The team in front of him looked much better also, so that helped. Tomorrow (if he plays) will be a rare back to back appearance so we'll see if he can tough out the grind of another top performance. As long as the team plays well, there's a good chance he'll be fine.
The Sabres as a whole had lots of solid d-zone play and few botched coverages and turnovers tonight. No uncovered prime scoring area play for the Canes tonight like they gave up to Jersey yesterday. When the team defense is good, he's looked great. When not... not.

11-18-2011, 10:19 PM
5 Minute Major

Seems like we know what the opposition scouting report on Enroth is.....

I've noticed, more than a few times, shooters trying to get him moving one way, usually from Enroth's right to his left, and picking the low corner he is vacating.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 10:32 PM
sabresfan129103

He can't play every game though. Assuming Miller is out for a while MacIntyre might have to play a game here and there. Maybe give him the start next Friday in Columbus.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 10:44 PM
5 Minute Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
He can't play every game though. Assuming Miller is out for a while MacIntyre might have to play a game here and there. Maybe give him the start next Friday in Columbus.

Sure he can.

Let him sit out for a practice or two during the stretch if fatigue is a fear.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 09:09 AM
barcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major View Post
Seems like we know what the opposition scouting report on Enroth is.....

I've noticed, more than a few times, shooters trying to get him moving one way, usually from Enroth's right to his left, and picking the low corner he is vacating.
Miller is the same way, sliding too far one way to overcompensate, thus taking himself out of position. Noronen was the same, at least in Rochester.

A product of Corsi maybe? Who knows.

barcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 12:26 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Well, our backup just played back to back games. I don't think he played all that bad. Obviously he made a couple errors, but nothing that can't be reviewed afterward and worked on. The team as a whole played pretty good for both games. Coyotes game they need to bury those gifts they were getting. Enroth held them in the game for as long as he could. If Miller is not back by Wednesday, you throw Enroth right back in there. I am glad he's getting a heavy workload. It prepares him mentally and physically for what it will take to be a #1 NHL goalie someday.

Old
11-20-2011, 01:01 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Well, our backup just played back to back games. I don't think he played all that bad. Obviously he made a couple errors, but nothing that can't be reviewed afterward and worked on. The team as a whole played pretty good for both games. Coyotes game they need to bury those gifts they were getting. Enroth held them in the game for as long as he could. If Miller is not back by Wednesday, you throw Enroth right back in there. I am glad he's getting a heavy workload. It prepares him mentally and physically for what it will take to be a #1 NHL goalie someday.
Ryan Miller would have been absolutely crucified on these boards and by the media for all 3 of the goals tonight. It boggles my mind how Enroth gets a pass.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 01:10 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Ryan Miller would have been absolutely crucified on these boards and by the media for all 3 of the goals tonight. It boggles my mind how Enroth gets a pass.
Ryan Miller rarely gets crucified by me. And Enroth will also rarely get crucified by me. I don't have rose colored glasses for either goalie. Soooooo I'm sure you didn't mean me

Tearing apart time and time again any player is tired and played to death. (unless of course they have a significant history of truely sucking) It's just not my bag.

Old
11-20-2011, 09:05 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Ryan Miller rarely gets crucified by me. And Enroth will also rarely get crucified by me. I don't have rose colored glasses for either goalie. Soooooo I'm sure you didn't mean me

Tearing apart time and time again any player is tired and played to death. (unless of course they have a significant history of truely sucking) It's just not my bag.
Yeah, I didn't mean for that to look like I was directing it at you. It was late. Sorry.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 09:51 PM
ottsabrefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Agreed. But, Miller is an Olympic MVP, vezina trophy minner and the #1 goalie on this hockey club. Enroth has started less than 20 games in his NHL career. And this doesn't even talk about salary.

ottsabrefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 07:38 AM
HiddenInLight

Enroth let's in some goals that are even softer then tpsome that miller let's in. His 5 hole is weak, and he could use some work reading the play in front of him. He's doing very well though. Not quite ready to start, but maybe by next year he could be fighting with miller for the starter job, assuming he gets a bit more experience under his belt and continues to grow and improove.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 01:36 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Enroth against Boston was an interesting test. He was pretty solid. You can't ask for much more from a backup rookie goalie. There were a few times he scrambled and looked out of the play, but it didn't happen often. He looked patient and focused in the shoot out. I like what I saw tonight.

Old
11-25-2011, 10:42 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

So how did Enroth look tonight against Columbus? Not the team in front of him, just Enroth.

I thought he looked shaky, and unsure of himself. He wasn't horrible, but not the same Enroth as a few games ago. He is getting a regular schedule now that Millers out, maybe that has something to do with it.

Old
11-25-2011, 10:53 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Aside from his known 5-hole issue, Enroth is an absolute rebound machine. When he's on his game, he puts those rebounds in good positions for his defense...but you'd like to see him swallow more pucks and get more faceoffs. Which is something Miller does extremely well.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 06:43 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
So how did Enroth look tonight against Columbus? Not the team in front of him, just Enroth.

I thought he looked shaky, and unsure of himself. He wasn't horrible, but not the same Enroth as a few games ago. He is getting a regular schedule now that Millers out, maybe that has something to do with it.
The 3rd and the 4th goals were both brutal. The 3rd goal in particular. I've never seen a goalie that far off of his angle on a point shot, screen or no.

jflory81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 12:58 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

It may have been the opponent (Washington), but Enroth had a very nice rebound game tonight. The team played better in front of him so that always helps.

He looked focused and controlled his rebounds for the most part. He seemed to see everything. I still think he's a very good back up, and not a #1 talent. But time will tell if he gets better with experience.

Old
11-27-2011, 12:06 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
It may have been the opponent (Washington), but Enroth had a very nice rebound game tonight. The team played better in front of him so that always helps.

He looked focused and controlled his rebounds for the most part. He seemed to see everything. I still think he's a very good back up, and not a #1 talent. But time will tell if he gets better with experience.
You severally overrate the quality of the other 29 teams' goal tending if you don't believe Enroth can be a #1 netminder in this league.

He's played on the same team as Ryan Miller his whole career and has just been flat out better than him. Will this last? Probably not. But even if he comes down a bit, he's still a very good NHL goalie capable of starting for many teams.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 01:05 PM
werpudel

if I remember correctly, Miller was lit up quite a bit in his first stints with the sabres. he really only wrestled that no. 1-positon from marty after the lockout. so I'd say that enroth right now is ahead in his development compared to miller at this stage in his career. some up and downs are just to be expected from enroth. but he showed last season over a prolongued span of time that he is able to play as a no.1-goalie.

but, hey, everything can happen in the next yaears

werpudel is offline   Reply With Quote