HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Myers a healthy scratch

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-14-2011, 03:56 PM
  #1
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster
 
Buffaloed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 24,931
vCash: 1390
Myers a healthy scratch

This deserves its own thread.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/...ing-skate.html
Quote:
Outsiders might call it a stunning thing to do to the 21-year-old Myers, a former Calder Trophy winner and a guy who has a seven-year, $38.5 million contract in hand that kicks in next season. But it's no surprise to regular Sabres watchers: Myers was minus-3 on Saturday, with several brutal plays resulting in Boston goals.

"The way I've been playing in the last three of four games, it's not good," Myers said. "It's not good enough for me. I have to be better. I know that the coaches know that. Until I do, stuff like this is going to happen.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 03:59 PM
  #2
jBuds
pretty damn valuable
 
jBuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC Suburbs
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 26,842
vCash: 500
I have to say I'm surprised. I thought if anyone was going to be able to have time to ride it out, it would've been Myers.

But I guess he has been the poorest playing defenseman for the longest stretch of time, so he needs to pay for it like anybody else.

This is pretty stunning IMO

jBuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 04:10 PM
  #3
SublimeNightmare
Registered User
 
SublimeNightmare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Embrace the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 276
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to SublimeNightmare
Can't hurt. Maybe it can get him in gear.

SublimeNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 04:11 PM
  #4
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres
 
ImpressedDAHagent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 7,681
vCash: 500
It's a dumb move to single out myers's composure. He has the talent to be relyed on more during a game. with the amount of regular players that are out of the lineup, does ruff expect to skate around with a whistle during tonights game?

ImpressedDAHagent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 04:13 PM
  #5
Myllz
Pavelski Lite
 
Myllz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 12,960
vCash: 500
Should be MAG. I don't mind benching Myers for a game to get his head right, but MAG's been more deserving for a longer time.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 04:15 PM
  #6
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!
 
cardiffgiant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 1,974
vCash: 500
Myers mental game is just way off this season, and seems to be geting worse. I hope that the time off helps. (and so does my fantasy team)

It'll be interesting to see how Weber handles this opportunity.

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 04:19 PM
  #7
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS
 
Stop Winnin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 8,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpressedDAHagent View Post
It's a dumb move to single out myers's composure. He has the talent to be relyed on more during a game. with the amount of regular players that are out of the lineup, does ruff expect to skate around with a whistle during tonights game?
What does this mean I don't understand. Myers has been terrible for the past I don't even know how many games, I think he's had one, maybe two solid games this year and the rest he makes mind blowing mistake after another. Our whole defense is suspect but Myers has looked the worst of all, other than Gragnani of course. Sitting him in the press box will do him some good, as well as give a sign to the rest of the D-men that hey, you're not getting a free ride. You play like ****, you're out.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 04:24 PM
  #8
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Jason Lewis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,014
vCash: 500
It'll help Myers to see a game or two from the press box. He has been weak this year.


Also good to see Webs step in and get a game. Can't help but feel for the guy.

Jason Lewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 04:57 PM
  #9
ceky
Registered User
 
ceky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Vienna
Country: Austria
Posts: 142
vCash: 500
this has to be intended as some kind of wake-up call ...

imho the last 4-5 games myers was not good. but this is allways measured against the standard he sat for himself, i do not think that overall he was the worst defenseman those last games... i think even with a "bad myers" the sabres are a better team than with an "okay MAG".....

ceky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 05:07 PM
  #10
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres
 
ImpressedDAHagent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 7,681
vCash: 500
Who is the last player that was a healthy scratch because of bad play? I don't think that it punishes myers as much as it does the team. I think that it is a bad time to loose compassion for myers and hope that he gets better soon.

ImpressedDAHagent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 05:10 PM
  #11
ct2111
Registered User
 
ct2111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,901
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpressedDAHagent View Post
Who is the last player that was a healthy scratch because of bad play? I don't think that it punishes myers as much as it does the team. I think that it is a bad time to loose compassion for myers and hope that he gets better soon.
Gragnani, Weber.

ct2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 06:00 PM
  #12
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 5,241
vCash: 500
Here's what I don't get about Myers, Ruff, and I may as well include Weber in this conversation as well.

Last season, Myers and Weber were beasts in the playoffs. Myers lead the way with tough physical play, and yeah he was duped into taking dumb penalties by staged Dives from the likes of Powe and others. But that doesn't change the fact that he played with incredible want and desire, he even dragged Richards and a ref around the ice. He was involved in every zone. Played great! Weber too!

So, over the summer, everybody wants a tougher blue line. So one would assume that Myers and Weber have increased stock. And then they add Regehr,the PERFECT mentor. And it's like, all of a sudden Myers isn't tough enough because the Ruff is saying **** like, "Oh maybe some will rub off on Myers" and **** like that. Again, nobody with the possible exception of Gerbe played with more passion in the playoffs last season. But all that is belittled, and Weber isn't played because they want 10 soft offensive defense men on the ice 24/7.

Apparently Ruff successfully under cut Myers confidence from last season because he's played scared this season. And now Ruff is rewarded-in his own counter productive way-by benching him.

Most of the blame falls on Myers shoulders, he brought this on himself by playing like ****. And that will happen when you're a young man trying to make your way through life, no matter what the back drop. But I question the guidance this kid is getting from his coaches and mentors, including Regehr. Regehr plays a SIMPLE game, and he's awesome at it. But there is nothing he can draw upon that will reach the ear of Myers who is on an entirely different career path. Perhaps even uncharted! Who else has ever been THAT big and THAT fast (when he's on his game of course)?

In closing I would like to say that Myers seems conflicted as to what his role is right now. On one hand they want him to be a tough stay at home defense man and then suddenly he's running the power play. Maybe his confidence needs some reassurance from the coaches and less knee jerk career decisions? Maybe they should stop treating Gragnani like the franchise defense man and build the team AROUND their 22 year old real life FDM and just let him play his game and let it develop. I don't know, but Myers needs to get his head out of his ass and start playing his game whether he's told to or not.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 06:35 PM
  #13
dire wolf
be cool
 
dire wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Cali
Country: United States
Posts: 4,017
vCash: 500
I think this is a good move. Wake him up a bit and let him get some perspective. He's clearly playing well below his expectations. Nor does this punish the team. His play in the last several games is what has hurt the team. I like this move and expect him to respond well to it and come back kicking butt.

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 06:36 PM
  #14
Aecen
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpressedDAHagent View Post
Who is the last player that was a healthy scratch because of bad play? I don't think that it punishes myers as much as it does the team. I think that it is a bad time to loose compassion for myers and hope that he gets better soon.
Afinogenov comes to mind, and I know he has done it other times in the past.

Aecen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 06:46 PM
  #15
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd
 
struckbyaparkedcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Country: Cote DIvoire
Posts: 10,467
vCash: 500
A couple people on the mainboard version of this thread brought up Myers gaining weight. Is this just people citing stuff from last year, or did he try to put on a billion pounds of muscle again?

struckbyaparkedcar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 07:02 PM
  #16
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 5,241
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
A couple people on the mainboard version of this thread brought up Myers gaining weight. Is this just people citing stuff from last year, or did he try to put on a billion pounds of muscle again?
I have no idea, but it can be exhausting lifting to gain muscle during the season. Maybe he needs to chill out a little.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 07:12 PM
  #17
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES
 
JOHNBOY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Denver NC
Country: United States
Posts: 10,145
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
whatever I guess, he does need to pick up his game im just not sure being scratched is going to do that..

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 07:48 PM
  #18
Fire Me
Cleared, BUT NOT OUT
 
Fire Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Old Dominion State
Country: United States
Posts: 5,432
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
A couple people on the mainboard version of this thread brought up Myers gaining weight. Is this just people citing stuff from last year, or did he try to put on a billion pounds of muscle again?
his goal is to eventually look like your avatar, except taller

Fire Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 12:02 AM
  #19
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres
 
ImpressedDAHagent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 7,681
vCash: 500
Myers was missed on the powerplay.

ImpressedDAHagent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 12:03 AM
  #20
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres
 
ImpressedDAHagent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 7,681
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aecen View Post
Afinogenov comes to mind, and I know he has done it other times in the past.
thanks. it seemed like a very limited option.

ImpressedDAHagent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 12:48 AM
  #21
Sabretip
Registered User
 
Sabretip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 7,919
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Should be MAG. I don't mind benching Myers for a game to get his head right, but MAG's been more deserving for a longer time.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiffgiant View Post
It'll be interesting to see how Weber handles this opportunity.
I thought he looked good in Montreal - Ruff certainly trusted him in most PK situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpressedDAHagent View Post
Who is the last player that was a healthy scratch because of bad play? I don't think that it punishes myers as much as it does the team. I think that it is a bad time to loose compassion for myers and hope that he gets better soon.
Gragnani for Weber and vice versa this season....but the last more prominent wake-up call may have been to Stafford last season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
A couple people on the mainboard version of this thread brought up Myers gaining weight. Is this just people citing stuff from last year, or did he try to put on a billion pounds of muscle again?
It was fairly pointed out on the post-game tonight that Myers looked out of breath in Boston trying to catch up to Peverly, and was similarly so in earlier games. IIRC, some of the preseason reports did note that he added some upper body muscle but I also remember Myers himself saying last season that he wanted to control his weight and not gain too much mass for fear that it would limit his mobility and skating. Maybe his added weight during the summer is why he looked good in the first 4-5 games alongside Regehr, playing a rugged, defensive style and as soon as Ruff told him to start skating and leading rushes, the turnovers and mistakes started coming from being flat-footed and too slow in his recoveries....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpressedDAHagent View Post
Myers was missed on the powerplay.
You're missing the sarcasm emoticon

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 02:19 AM
  #22
sba
....
 
sba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Islip Terrace, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,100
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
Here's what I don't get about Myers, Ruff, and I may as well include Weber in this conversation as well.

Last season, Myers and Weber were beasts in the playoffs. Myers lead the way with tough physical play, and yeah he was duped into taking dumb penalties by staged Dives from the likes of Powe and others. But that doesn't change the fact that he played with incredible want and desire, he even dragged Richards and a ref around the ice. He was involved in every zone. Played great! Weber too!

So, over the summer, everybody wants a tougher blue line. So one would assume that Myers and Weber have increased stock. And then they add Regehr,the PERFECT mentor. And it's like, all of a sudden Myers isn't tough enough because the Ruff is saying **** like, "Oh maybe some will rub off on Myers" and **** like that. Again, nobody with the possible exception of Gerbe played with more passion in the playoffs last season. But all that is belittled, and Weber isn't played because they want 10 soft offensive defense men on the ice 24/7.

Apparently Ruff successfully under cut Myers confidence from last season because he's played scared this season. And now Ruff is rewarded-in his own counter productive way-by benching him.

Most of the blame falls on Myers shoulders, he brought this on himself by playing like ****. And that will happen when you're a young man trying to make your way through life, no matter what the back drop. But I question the guidance this kid is getting from his coaches and mentors, including Regehr. Regehr plays a SIMPLE game, and he's awesome at it. But there is nothing he can draw upon that will reach the ear of Myers who is on an entirely different career path. Perhaps even uncharted! Who else has ever been THAT big and THAT fast (when he's on his game of course)?

In closing I would like to say that Myers seems conflicted as to what his role is right now. On one hand they want him to be a tough stay at home defense man and then suddenly he's running the power play. Maybe his confidence needs some reassurance from the coaches and less knee jerk career decisions? Maybe they should stop treating Gragnani like the franchise defense man and build the team AROUND their 22 year old real life FDM and just let him play his game and let it develop. I don't know, but Myers needs to get his head out of his ass and start playing his game whether he's told to or not.
Great post. I agree 100%

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 09:11 AM
  #23
punkr0x
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 314
vCash: 500
We have 7 legit NHL defensemen. It should be a rotation, no one should feel safe from the press box. Lately Myers has been our worst defenseman, so it's his turn to sit. I wish Lindy had done it sooner.

punkr0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 09:16 AM
  #24
Dark Knight
#WeTheNorth
 
Dark Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Leaf Land
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,605
vCash: 500
No need to panic. Luke Schenn was playing like our worst defenseman from the start of the season until he was scratched for a game. Now, he's looked far better and is getting better with every game.

Sometimes it helps to take a seat back and watch others play so you can reflect. Myers will be fine.

__________________
http://hfboards.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=19868&dateline=128642  9216
Dark Knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 09:20 AM
  #25
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,236
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgn View Post
Gragnani, Weber.
Building on that list in the last two seasons: Butler, Sekera, Ennis, Gerbe.

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:30 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.