HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How Do I Improve my Slapshot?

Old
11-12-2011, 12:16 AM
Royal Canuck
M-V-P

vCash: 814
How Do I Improve my Slapshot?

So This is my first year playing player, I've played Goalie since i was 7 and this year I decided to go player. Now i'm a forward, so I dont use my slapshot much, but my god it's terrible. Being 5'9 130lbs could be a factor, but I feel i could hit it harder. I also have great Hand-Eye coordination, yet I whiff on my One-Timers all the time. Any Suggestions?

Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 07:14 AM
Gino 14

vCash: 500
The best thing to do is to work on your wrister and leave the slapshot for the pros. The slapshot is the least accurate and most over rated shot by players just because it looks great the few times it works. You'll score more goals and win more games with a good wrist shot and you won't look like a tool when you windmill a puck that you could have easily wristed in to an open net.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 09:50 AM
ComradeChris

Only way to get better with one timers is to practice them... have someone feed you 100 pucks a day for one timers and you will notice a huge difference after just a couple sessions. Impressive gains after a week.

As for the slapshot just practice shooting at home. Slap the puck around like 500 times a day and you're set. Use a hockey ball if you don't have any pucks or don't want to ruin your net. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE

ComradeChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 10:14 AM
Razzmatazz

Find some open space with a smooth, solid wall; bring a shooting pad*; get a few pucks; a cheap, stiff, wooden stick; and shoot away (wear a pair of hockey gloves you don't care about, they will get nasty, but you won't blister up your hands). That's how Al MacInnes perfected his shot, and it's how I started to get the feel for mine.

*Thrifty Whiteboard, have them cut it at the store into four 4x2 foot sections (they'll eventually scratch, so you will have your backups ready). When you are set to shoot pucks off of it, spray on WD40, and wipe down with a paper or ratty towel periodically.

Razzmatazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 10:41 AM
Razzmatazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
The best thing to do is to work on your wrister and leave the slapshot for the pros. The slapshot is the least accurate and most over rated shot by players just because it looks great the few times it works. You'll score more goals and win more games with a good wrist shot and you won't look like a tool when you windmill a puck that you could have easily wristed in to an open net.
I disagree, the more options you have at your disposal, the more successful you will be. Some situations, the slapshot is the better shot to use. And I will say this, shot accuracy can be overrated, it doesn't mean anything if the goalie has time to react to the shot. I had a hard, accurate wrister to begin with, but I was well aware I could create MORE chances if I had that slapshot in the arsenal, and I'd never make the switch to defense without it. People are starting to realize they need to get out of the way

Razzmatazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 11:24 AM
Narut

beside practice i want to mention another point.

in my opinion the slapshot mostly depends on two things:

1. right technique
2. the right flex/stick

and NOT how big u are.

i'm not very strong (1,89m with 80kgs, sorry too lazy to convert it in lbs^^) and until last year it was almost impossible for me to make a hard and high slap shot. then i tried some sticks of my teammates and it was like a revelation.

now i found the right stick and i have more or less the hardest shot of my team.

so if u think u have the right technique try out other sticks/flex

Last edited by Narut: 11-12-2011 at 01:38 PM.
Narut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 01:41 PM
hockeyisforeveryone

vCash: 75
Yes! You can have a great slapshot, as said it's technique and correct flex helps also.

There are many video's online to show the technique. These helped me a lot.

I am almost exactly your size and found that a 65 flex (intermediate) shaft is so perfect for our weight. Also the lie must be correct for a good hard shot.

hockeyisforeveryone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 02:03 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 50
Use more durable sticks and stiffer flexes to practice your slapshot techniques first. Sticks tend to break easier if you're doing it wrong, which is common among beginners.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 02:32 PM
r3cc0s

thing for me, that I know alot of people kinda screw up...

like golf... don't lift your head
keep your head still and in the same spot even through the release...

the stick will flex, as intended, before the puck and when you release it, MAKE sure you point your toe where you want it to go

also make sure you hit the puck towards the middle/heel and that you load at least 3 inches before the puck

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 03:54 PM
Minister of Offence

If you're hand eye is good and your missing one time attempts it could just be your skating ability and balance that is keeping you off the puck. So many other skills in hockey are tough for people to master when balance and skating ability are lagging.

Either way, as a life long goalie and new to playing forward...you should hold off on the one timers for a bit as they are a high difficulty play even for guys that have played for a long time.

In regards to slap shot technique (you may not need help for this, but others may), close your blade as your about to shoot, this gives the blade the necessary angle needed in order to "slap" the ice and create a torque in the stick...which will increase power. Sometimes I really exaggerate closing the blade and love the way the puck comes off (more torque). I've always felt the bottom arm should be stiff, I usually try and feel the palm of my lower hand press hard into wear I'm holding the stick as the blade hits the ice an inch or so behind the puck. I've always felt the swing is more of a "sweeping" motion and follow through with blade pointing towards target.

In regards to the sweeping motion, envision trying to make the puck spin harder as it flies off flat.

After that, repeat, repeat, repeat, your body should get more efficient with the technique the more you shoot. The better your technique, the more you'll get out of yourself.

Also, learning to shoot with your head up and off the puck is important as you get better...I'm astonished how much harder I can make it fly when my eyes are on net.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 01:08 AM
Royal Canuck
M-V-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyisforeveryone View Post
Yes! You can have a great slapshot, as said it's technique and correct flex helps also.

I am almost exactly your size and found that a 65 flex (intermediate) shaft is so perfect for our weight. Also the lie must be correct for a good hard shot.
Yeah i use a Bauer Totalone with 87 Flex and a wicked curve. hahah

Old
11-13-2011, 01:25 AM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Anyone else have a grip problem with their slapshots? I generally won't use a slapshot in game, but I like to have a wider arsenal so I'll practice it from time to time in warm up or elsewhere. I should have adequate size for it and I'm good at self-tuning technique, and on some days I can seem to get it right, but usually what seems to happen is when the stick hits the ice/puck it 'slips' in my bottom hand and I lose all the torque. I know I don't have the strongest grip, but I was wondering if this is a known problem for other people.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 01:23 PM
combsatl

I'm old and fat now, but when I was in high school I was pretty small - 5'11", 160lb and my slap shot was clocked at 96mph and was deadly accurate. That said, I do agree somewhat with people who have said you should practice your wrist shots rather than worrying about a slap shot. When I was young I only had a slapper - but as I learned a better wrist shot, and snap shot, my game got a new dimension.

That's not to say I wouldn't work on your slapper. The main things to remember are: the power you get in your slap shot comes from the weight you put into the stick when you shoot. Watch slow motion videos of any of the pros taking slap shots (or wrist shots - watch Brett Hull's) and you'll see how much their sticks flex. That said, having a stick with the proper flex is key. You want it to be stiff but not too stiff that it affects your wrist shot negatively. To be perfectly honest, with as little as you weigh, if it fits you, I'd try an intermediate stick - maybe 65 or 70 flex.

Next, positioning of your slap shot will help a lot. Normally, when I take a slap shot, the puck is placed in the rear 1/4 of my stance - not quite to my back foot but not in the middle between my feet.

Lastly, you want to hit the ice slightly before the puck, which gives you the flex and power in the shot.

Once you get those things down you will be able to adapt the shot to work with one-timers which may be at your front foot or on your back foot or out of your norm.

It's good to have a balanced attack - a snapshot is a very key thing in that. I play forward but drop back quite often and I find my slap shot now is more effective with long stretch passes or for getting tips and deflections in front.

combsatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 01:39 PM
Sneekypete

1.Correct flex
2. Improve all your shooting techniques
3. Strengthen legs and forearms

I also spent my summers shooting waterlogged hardballs at walls, nets anyplace. Wristers,snappers and slappers..Also this is a great way to work on a quicker release.
I really did enjoy watching the seas part when I would wind up for a slapper.

Sneekypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 03:01 PM
Kulluminati

Well like most things in life, in order to get better you gotta practice. Study the technique players use, and you should improve. Although I think that as a beginner at playing outside of the crease a good wrister will make you far more useful as a teammate.

Go to this guys channel and type "slap" into the search thingie, hes got some useful vids that might help you.

http://www.youtube.com/user/howtohockeydotcom

Kulluminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 03:16 PM
Jerry Lundegaard
Sutter for Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSwede21 View Post
Yeah i use a Bauer Totalone with 87 Flex and a wicked curve. hahah

If you're a beginner and you're practicing one timers, you can kiss that T-one goodbye. Maybe wait on those

Use the flex of the stick.

Last edited by Jerry Lundegaard: 11-13-2011 at 03:25 PM.
Jerry Lundegaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 03:42 PM
Renbarg

What do you guys think of over-exaggerating shooting down into the ground?

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 05:04 PM
HockeyDonkey33

They guys at howtohockey.com are awesome. The BIGGEST improvement for me was when I watched that slapshot video of theirs. They pointed out to make sure when you wind up to bring your stick straight up and not out to the side. That made such a huge difference. Also remember to keep your knees bent.
-Bring stick straight up and back (not out to the side) on wind up
-Knees bent
-Low flex 85 stick
-Practice!

HockeyDonkey33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 12:24 AM
Stickmata

Weight shift BEFORE the downswing, not during it.

Shoot off one foot, the front foot, only. Weight fully off the back foot at impact.

Hit the ice behind the puck and stay down and through the shot, letting the stick flex do all the work.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 09:29 PM
Royal Canuck
M-V-P

Thanks guys, i've taken all your tips into consideration and will try it out next ice time.

Old
11-15-2011, 12:30 PM
HowToHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyDonkey33 View Post
They guys at howtohockey.com are awesome. The BIGGEST improvement for me was when I watched that slapshot video of theirs. They pointed out to make sure when you wind up to bring your stick straight up and not out to the side. That made such a huge difference. Also remember to keep your knees bent.
-Bring stick straight up and back (not out to the side) on wind up
-Knees bent
-Low flex 85 stick
-Practice!
THANKS! I notice lots of beginner players go for the golf wind-up in the slapshot and it usually takes them years to develop the proper slapper wind-up.

Here is one of the hockey tips videos

The Hockey Movement The Hockey Movement
HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 04:25 PM
shawn1331

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyisforeveryone View Post

:O!!!!! You use a 65 flex.....:O

Oh my god, lol I'm 125 and 5'6 and I use a 90 flex and I don't think its stiff enough...Maybe I'm just stronger or something but I never got the right whip on my slappers and enough flex on my wristers with anything under 77.

I always break sticks when I used like 52-70 they just snapped like twigs.

shawn1331 is offline   Reply With Quote