HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Setting up a Workout Routine

Old
11-01-2011, 09:59 PM
Sear91

vCash: 500
Setting up a Workout Routine

Hey everyone, I was just going to chime in and ask for some advice on preparing a workout routine to get myself in shape for a league. I am trying to be realistic and I've realized I'm not in good enough shape to play for extended periods of time, i.e. whole game situations, so I'm going to say I want to prepare for 3-6 months and KNOW I'm ready before taking the step into the league.

I'm currently weighing in at 165 ibs and am 20 years old. There is a gym on campus which was just renovated and is free to all students. It has pretty much everything when it comes to workout machines.

I guess what I'm asking is, I have a whole gym at my disposal and I've never really made a workout routine before- what do I do? I figure the most important thing I can do right now is cardio, i.e. bikes and treadmills. Aside from that, what would be a good start to improve my legs, and in particular getting a more powerful stride. Should I spend most of my time focusing on my lower body, or try and have a more complete workout, or should that wait until I see some results and build up to it? Any advice is appreciated!

Sear91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 10:32 PM
Gibson19

Look up HIIT. Basically its working at 90-100 percent for short bursts than recovering a bit, than back at it full tilt. Just like hockey.

For strength look up SL 5x5. It's a solid program that is simple and will get you strong quick. Since its free weights and lots of full body movements you will get a really strong core. If you just do curls you'll have huge biceps but whats the point in that. Things like squats, bent over rows, bench press, front squats will build a lot more than just one muscle at a time. Just don't over do it. You may think 5 reps doesn't sound like lots but when your on that 5 set you're beat.

I'm not saying general cardio is bad. But there are better ways to train. 5x5 will get your heart racing and have you catching your breath. HIIT is great because its cardio but still really makes your legs strong. You can run 30 minutes each day and get good endurance but your legs won't get nearly as strong as if your just absolutely draining them with HIIT and weight training. What ever you do you want to focus on your lower body and your core. Huge biceps, kinda useless in hockey. Although one thing to work on, besides what I've mentioned is forearm strength. I can't remember the name of it but basically its a bar and you attach a weight to the bottom of a string or chain at hanging off the bar and then you roll it up with your arms outstretched. Really good for forearms, also farmer walks. Just grab the two heaviest dumbbells you can manage and do a 15 or 20 second walk around holding on to them.

Hope some of this is useful to you

Gibson19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 12:05 AM
mbowman

While I'm no expert in terms of working out, I'd probably suggest gaining a solid base of fitness before trying to do sport-specific training. HIIT, while certainly beneficial, can be difficult if you don't have the fitness base to begin with. Same with weight lifting. Don't worry about bench pressing huge weights or anything right now. Work with low weights, get your form perfect, then increase the weight. That's the principle behind the Stronglifts 5x5 program.

Consider looking into CrossFit. Generally pretty short, but super intense workouts, involving functional movements, full-body exercises, and overall fitness. We had a CrossFit trainer come work out with my rugby team once a week this season, and it did wonders for my fitness. The workouts are sometimes kinda fun too, they change up a lot so it doesn't get boring.

Good luck!

mbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 09:36 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Third the recommendation for Stronglifts. Free, simple, but not easy.

I'm still saving up for a rack and bench but in the meantime, I've been doing a Tabata routine (20 seconds work, 10 seconds rest, 8 quick sets) with kettlebells and dumbbells. Helping quite a bit.

Kettlebell swings 20 sec, rest 10 sec
Kettlebell squats 20 sec, rest 10 sec
(repeat four times)

Pushups 20 sec, rest 10 sec
Dumbbell rows 20 sec, rest 10 sec
(repeat four times)

Pullups 20 sec, rest 10 sec
Dumbbell press 20 sec, rest 10 sec
(repeat four times)

Bicycle crunches 20 sec, rest 10 sec
Plank 20 sec, rest 10 sec
(repeat four times)

Complete ass kicking of a total body workout in under 30 minutes with rest times. Do it 2-3x per week.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 12:01 PM
BlackNYellow

hey guys, I too have been looking for a pretty serious workout program for Hockey and I believe that I shall give the SL 5x5 a go for a few months and see what I can gain from it. It seems to be legit and many people seem to have nothing but positives to say about it.

BlackNYellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:15 PM
newfr4u

you are 165# and 20 years old. you are a prime candidate for SS/GOMAD. it's very similar to strong lifts, with different programming, and better instructional materials available. start here http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi..._Strength_Wiki

newfr4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 02:57 PM
650X2

This may be different advice then you will hear. But pay for a personal trainer for 3 months and learn how to work out. This is not a joke a lot of people take bad advice from people on forums and either train the wrong stuff for them or work out in correctly and end up hurting themselves.

A good personal trainer should be able to take what you want to achieve, your body type and create a workout especially designed for you to get the results you want. Nothing wrong with getting a personal trainer to learn how to work out. You will learn more than anything you will read on here or anywhere else on the web. Plus you can get some hot girl to be personal trainer if you wish.

650X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 03:39 PM
Subnordi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650X2 View Post
This may be different advice then you will hear. But pay for a personal trainer for 3 months and learn how to work out. This is not a joke a lot of people take bad advice from people on forums and either train the wrong stuff for them or work out in correctly and end up hurting themselves.

A good personal trainer should be able to take what you want to achieve, your body type and create a workout especially designed for you to get the results you want. Nothing wrong with getting a personal trainer to learn how to work out. You will learn more than anything you will read on here or anywhere else on the web. Plus you can get some hot girl to be personal trainer if you wish.

Subnordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 04:00 PM
newfr4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650X2 View Post

this is well-intentioned but ultimately bad advice. 95% of all personal trainers are idiots, and without knowing a good one, or at least some basics yourself, he is not likely to choose someone who will actually help him.

newfr4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 03:16 PM
AngryBoss

Lots of great suggestions here.
HIIT, Tabatta, etc.

If you want to get stronger, work on compound movements; squats, deadlifts, pullups, etc.

For stamina, HIIT or Tabatta on stationary bikes or sprinting is awesome.
One workout I just discovered, and love, is this:
Wrap a 45lb plate in a towel and then push it across a 20-30 yard floor.
Time how long it takes you to get to one end. Rest 3-4x the amount it took you to get there. (eg, 10 seconds to reach destination = 30 or 40 seconds rest).
Do that for 8 to 10 reps.

I finish my cardio days with that and my legs are burning. They're still pumped 10 minutes later in the shower.
Great workout!

AngryBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 07:04 PM
The Brewmeister
#Winning.

Send a message via MSN to The Brewmeister Send a message via Skype™ to The Brewmeister
Bodybuilding.com has a set up where it asks you age, sex, and goal (bigger or toning).

I use it and others have noticed I am shedding the pounds.

The Brewmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 06:27 PM
Eaglepride*
#5 in Wotan we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfr4u View Post
this is well-intentioned but ultimately bad advice. 95% of all personal trainers are idiots, and without knowing a good one, or at least some basics yourself, he is not likely to choose someone who will actually help him.
Well from my experience it really depends on the gym. If you are attending a high quality gym all PT people have to optain the right to work there.

A good indication for choosing a trainer is, how others are talking about him also its about chemistry. I'd advice you asking for a meet and greet hour and see if the PT is fitting, if not ask other members whom they reccomend and if the majority is saying guy X is very good try him.

Working on your own can only take you so far the advice from a professionel will take you to the next level.

My workout basically is based around starting slow and be ****ing burned out at the end (more repititions -> less but more pounds) and I'm trying to train only two muscles (at most) at one workout, called "split" usually 90 minutes which is really enough.

You could try the whole "burn out" from start to finish (just the same but you aren't starting slow) too which I wouldn't recommend cause as a hockeyplayer you also have to have a good stamina and explosivness.

In addition to my basic routine I've bought the TRX ropes for training at home but right now I'm disappointed so I wouldn't recommend buying em.

Eaglepride* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 04:26 PM
650X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfr4u View Post
I agree that the majority of personal trainers are idiots. However there are good trainers and some of them even go to school to learn the trade. Nothing wrong with asking for credentials. I'm not talking about going to Life Styles and picking the first trainer you see.

650X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 11:37 AM
WpgBoy84

I know I am a little late to the part, but I like seeing Tabata being mentioned.
as part of my placement I worked with a trainer, and quite a few of his clients are elite hockey players, with a few NHLers mixed in. needless to say, he uses HIT workouts, and he loves Tabata training. I still use it today on my own at the gym. and the best thing is that it is versatile. you can do sprints, lunges, pushups, etc.
definately look into it.

WpgBoy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 01:32 PM
Black Label

Found this article a little while ago: http://forum.body building.com/showthread.php?t=126222593

Take out the space, it's not working for some reason.

Black Label is offline   Reply With Quote