HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Washington at Nashville. 11/15/2011 8PM

Old
11-16-2011, 08:46 AM
txpd

vCash: 500
well....ok

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 09:04 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Is there a particular reason people are flipping out? Or is this just *****ing to *****?

I like Brouwer.

Wake me in time for the playoffs.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 09:22 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
After a night to think it over, still sucks. For 11/12 of the game, they were playing as well as I've seen them play in a long time. Even so, the complete breakdown after that point was truly disheartening. It was reminiscent of a Capitals playoff game.
You mean "in the game until it mattered, then we crapped the bed when it counted"....that kind of Capitals playoff game?

On a side note, it's more enjoyable ignoring these boards during games only to come in afterwards and read the usual suspects freaking out over one loss. I'm making a an effort to not get so emotionally invested in the regular season wins/losses and it's making the year much more enjoyable.

Another game, another loss....who's next? Just get us to the playoffs.

6 - Number of playoff series the Capitals have won since George McPhee took over as General Manager in 1997 (which makes him the third-longest-tenured GM in the League), three of which came in McPhee's first season on the job.
CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 09:44 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Yeah, pretty much.

Meaningless game, showed strong play for most of the game, some more strong work from the pluggers. More stellar work from the opposition, shutting down the Russkies. Coughed it up late. Sucks. The world isn't falling, but it sucked. They could use a big game offensively against the Thrashers tomorrow.

Florida figures to make the division race interesting this year.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 09:45 AM
Capitlols
Blow it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladiator16 View Post
If you are 16 and under i understand, if you are older than that, than i would say get a hold of your self and stop acting like a little... I understand it was whole 15 games, but do you know why this team is in conversation each and every year? i know its the internet and "what have you done for me lately" thing is crazier than in the real world, but this is just ****ing stupid...
Don't even know what your age has to do with anything. Its not as if its a one time occurrence anymore with OV, if he doesn't turn it around he could conceivable have a worse year than last year. I know there are people that'll defend him to the bitter end, but even you can see he has been absolute crap and he's held to a higher standard than anyone else, period.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 10:43 AM
Duke33

What bothers me is I'm not one of the usual suspects when it comes to gloom and doom, but even I'm frustrated with the loss last night. Yeah it's one loss but I'm looking more at the 3-5-1 over the last nine, with a lot of the same old bad characteristics.

And can we start a pool on what will break next on Green? I swear I'm starting to believe he's made of glass. Except of course when there's partying to be done.

Duke33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 11:31 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
Don't even know what your age has to do with anything. Its not as if its a one time occurrence anymore with OV, if he doesn't turn it around he could conceivable have a worse year than last year. I know there are people that'll defend him to the bitter end, but even you can see he has been absolute crap and he's held to a higher standard than anyone else, period.
"absolute crap" is a bit of an exaggeration. He's struggling no doubt and at some point this may become an issue (playoffs).

3g 5a, 8 pts....that's absolute crap.

Old
11-16-2011, 11:41 AM
Capitlols
Blow it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
"absolute crap" is a bit of an exaggeration. He's struggling no doubt and at some point this may become an issue (playoffs).

Again we're talking about OV, he's held to a higher standard than others. Even beyond the statistics, from an effort and defensive standpoint he has been absolute crap.

Old
11-16-2011, 11:47 AM
blokeyhighlander
May = :golfnana:

I don't think Ovi will be Ovi again until he starts being the bull in a China shop again (inappropriate analogy as the Mythbusters proved that bulls are very graceful in a China shop, but you get the point).

blokeyhighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 11:52 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
This.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 11:56 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

He's not held to a higher standard. Expectations are higher since he's performed better in the past. The NHL figured Ovy out 2 years ago and he still hasn't adapted his game.

Another bad full season followed by a poor playoff showing where Ovy doesn't at least arguably play like our best player and this becomes a big issue. For now, it's just another of many issues this team will deal with during the year.

Old
11-16-2011, 12:08 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by blokeyhighlander View Post
I don't think Ovi will be Ovi again until he starts being the bull in a China shop again (inappropriate analogy as the Mythbusters proved that bulls are very graceful in a China shop, but you get the point).

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 12:12 PM
Dirtbag59

Anyway the Caps have two games against Winnepeg and a game against Toronto in the next 4 who are 25th and 26th in GA respectively. Lets wait until those three games are over and then we can have an Ovi mini panic.

The funniest thing though is that someone pointed out that last year in spite of his struggles Ovi had the third most even strength points and would have been tied for first had the Winter Classic goal not been waved off. To be the Ovi of old with 50 goals he needs to start producing on the Power Play.

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 01:10 PM
marcel snapshot

[QUOTE=CapitalsCup2012;39511735]He's not held to a higher standard. Expectations are higher since he's performed better in the past. The NHL figured Ovy out 2 years ago and he still hasn't adapted his game.QUOTE]

Apart from the failure to evolve though, there just seems to be something off with his shot, starting from last year. He doesn't get it off as quickly as he used to, he misses the net much more than he used to, and it has less velocity and force than it used to.

marcel snapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 01:19 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

[QUOTE=marcel snapshot;39514431]
Quote:
He's not held to a higher standard. Expectations are higher since he's performed better in the past. The NHL figured Ovy out 2 years ago and he still hasn't adapted his game.QUOTE]

Apart from the failure to evolve though, there just seems to be something off with his shot, starting from last year. He doesn't get it off as quickly as he used to, he misses the net much more than he used to, and it has less velocity and force than it used to.
Based on mostly nothing, I have the sense that part of his problem is that he's thinking about his shot rather than shooting on instinct. So we know his patented cut-to-the-middle move is getting defended. In the absence of that move, it seems that he's thinking too much. He needs to find a new spot where he's comfortable and start shooting on reflex. Adjustments take time and thought, but I suspect the thinking is also hurting him somewhat.

californiacapsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 01:23 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Also, if ever there was a game that highlighted the need to play 60 full minutes it was last night. Hope it sunk in finally.

californiacapsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 01:48 PM
Click Here
You know you want to

vCash: 50
mental breakdowns and lack of presence in front of our goalie. same old. not going anywhere until theyre fixed. other than that they played OK and some of the classic overreaction around here is stupid and not based in reality. zero creativity on 4 all lines, hahaha. yeah, OK.

ovechkin needs to be better but more important is protecting the real estate in front of vokoun and avoiding confusion in the D zone. that way they can win 1-0 on the road against a top 3 goalie/defense even when the top guns play like ****.

Click Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 01:56 PM
TRASHCAT

Quote:
Another game, another loss....who's next? Just get us to the playoffs.
For a few more games and a few more losses.

TRASHCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 02:13 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
Also, if ever there was a game that highlighted the need to play 60 full minutes it was last night. Hope it sunk in finally.
Or they could go other way and think "see, playing this way we lose... Must do our own things"

Time for leaders to keep the weak minded one's eyes on the ball.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 02:14 PM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
Age was brought up because people in their puberty tend to be a bit more excitable. And yes even thou i do see his point total went down drastically, but i don't see a need to call out our best player/s every chance i get (i guess i'm one of those people that will defend him to the bitter end).

Last edited by Vladiator16: 11-16-2011 at 02:28 PM.
Vladiator16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 02:29 PM
Capitlols
Blow it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladiator16 View Post
Age was brought up because people in their puberty tend to be a bit more excitable. And yes even thou i do see his point total went down drastically i will not call out our best player/s every chance i get (i guess i'm one of those people that will defend him to the bitter end).
How witty and mature of you...

Out of curiosity, when would it be classified as not an 'OVerreaction'? A 60-70 point campaign? Continued lethargic performances? Or as I've said before, is he forever immune because we're indebted as Caps fans?

Old
11-16-2011, 02:33 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

He's not forever immune, but he's built up enough credibility that he deserves a LOT of slack.

Old
11-16-2011, 02:34 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Anyone else hear the announcers say the Caps had come out in a 1-3-1 immediately following their goal?

Re: Ovechkin, IMO the highest paid player in the league needs to be the best player in the league. That hasn't been true for a full season.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 02:38 PM
Capitlols
Blow it up

Quote:
He's not forever immune, but he's built up enough credibility that he deserves a LOT of slack.
Define a LOT of slack.

Old
11-16-2011, 02:41 PM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
How witty and mature of you...

Out of curiosity, when would it be classified as not an 'OVerreaction'? A 60-70 point campaign? Continued lethargic performances? Or as I've said before, is he forever immune because we're indebted as Caps fans?
I didn't mean to offend you...
When? I don't know, but i do know it's not that time yet. I would say if he does have 60-70 point season and another early exit out of PO's... but its internet forum, you obviously say what you wish.

Vladiator16 is offline   Reply With Quote