HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Washington at Nashville. 11/15/2011 8PM

Old
11-16-2011, 02:48 PM
EYEuhFRAYtee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
Define a LOT of slack.
Never criticized for anything.

EYEuhFRAYtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 02:49 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Is there a particular reason people are flipping out? Or is this just *****ing to *****?

I like Brouwer.

Wake me in time for the playoffs.
Brouwer is starting to look like a steal. Trading a late first for him was definitively worth it.

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 02:50 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Or they could go other way and think "see, playing this way we lose... Must do our own things"

Time for leaders to keep the weak minded one's eyes on the ball.
a legit concern. per twitter, they were apparently working on backchecking in practice today.

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 02:58 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
a legit concern. per twitter, they were apparently working on backchecking in practice today.
Yeah I don't buy much into what the players say... They've been saying the right things for years... except Semin. Dude seems to be the only honest one!

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 03:01 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Yeah I don't buy much into what the players say... They've been saying the right things for years... except Semin. Dude seems to be the only honest one!
haha. actually it was Whyno reporting from the practice in Nashville.

Old
11-16-2011, 03:02 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Brouwer is starting to look like a steal. Trading a late first for him was definitively worth it.
especially if we get a lottery pick for Varly!

Old
11-16-2011, 03:02 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

double post. sorry.

Old
11-16-2011, 03:07 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Had a big presentation this morning, so I missed the game last night preparing for it. Know the result, not pleased. But is the game worth going back to watch? For entertainment? For game studies?

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 03:10 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Had a big presentation this morning, so I missed the game last night preparing for it. Know the result, not pleased. But is the game worth going back to watch? For entertainment? For game studies?
If you want a foreshadowing of the playoffs, yes.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 03:11 PM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
It's a great Caps road game and a great goaltending display. Just pretend NHL games are only 55 minutes and 15 seconds long.

PuckBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 03:40 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
He's not forever immune, but he's built up enough credibility that he deserves a LOT of slack.
Uh, no. First of all, credibility? So you're suggesting that when we see him playing poorly we should give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he is playing well anyway? What? Credibility could apply to a coach or a manager in giving them the benefit of the doubt when the exact logic behind a decision isn't known. A player's play is a player's play...which applies to your second claim, that he deserves slack. He deserves slack in the sense that a few crappy games shouldn't affect fans' assessment of his overall game/role/etc., but he should still be criticized when he plays poorly, just like everyone else.

Additionally, his game has been a shadow of its former self for the much better part of the last season + 16 games or whatever (and arguably since the 2010 Olympics), so there really is no room to give him any more slack, at least if you care about the team doing well. He still has time to turn it around, or to adapt and succeed with a different style of play, but if that doesn't happen by the end of this year, it probably won't ever.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 03:50 PM
Vladiator16*
R.I.P - Loko.

Some people will sell their mother for a quarter. Loyalty is a foreign concept to them.

Vladiator16* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 04:23 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

Quote:
Originally Posted by blokeyhighlander View Post
I don't think Ovi will be Ovi again until he starts being the bull in a China shop again (inappropriate analogy as the Mythbusters proved that bulls are very graceful in a China shop, but you get the point).
+1 He's really gotta get back to nailing guys left right and centre.

Also, being less predictable would work.

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 04:43 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladiator16 View Post
Some people will sell their mother for a quarter. Loyalty is a foreign concept to them.
True, the Stanley Cup usually does go to the team that finishes first in loyalty for the year.

Old
11-16-2011, 05:10 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
Uh, no. First of all, credibility? So you're suggesting that when we see him playing poorly we should give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he is playing well anyway? What? Credibility could apply to a coach or a manager in giving them the benefit of the doubt when the exact logic behind a decision isn't known. A player's play is a player's play...which applies to your second claim, that he deserves slack. He deserves slack in the sense that a few crappy games shouldn't affect fans' assessment of his overall game/role/etc., but he should still be criticized when he plays poorly, just like everyone else.

Additionally, his game has been a shadow of its former self for the much better part of the last season + 16 games or whatever (and arguably since the 2010 Olympics), so there really is no room to give him any more slack, at least if you care about the team doing well. He still has time to turn it around, or to adapt and succeed with a different style of play, but if that doesn't happen by the end of this year, it probably won't ever.
Nope I never said we should somehow convince ourselves that he's not playing below par, but he deserves more rope, much more rope than your typical panicy Caps fan/Bruce worrier is giving him. And I never suggested that he's immune from criticism.

He's been our best playoff performer every year (with some credit to Semin for having one good series in there where you could argue he was the best player). When his performance hurts us in the playoffs it's a matter for real concern. Until then, just like *****ing about Bruce with the record we have...it's a waste of energy.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 05:37 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

There is little doubt that Ovi could improve in all areas of his game... including taking them over and self winning some like old times.

There is also little doubt that BB will still have warts come playoff time even if he tried to address all of his deficiencies.

One things for sure, other guys may come and go this season. But those two are who we are fans are counting on. Cause the org's not getting rid of either of them this season.

Old
11-16-2011, 05:56 PM
Vladiator16*
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
True, the Stanley Cup usually does go to the team that finishes first in loyalty for the year.
No, it usually goes to the team that betrays, back-stabs and craps allover each other.

Old
11-16-2011, 06:10 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
No, it usually goes to the team that betrays, back-stabs and craps allover each other.
So basically a team full of politicians and insurance salesman?

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 06:29 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
+1 He's really gotta get back to nailing guys left right and centre.

Also, being less predictable would work.
Hitting people would be nice, he seems to be this season having no forecheck or backcheck. He was backchecking last season, but his forecheck sucked, now hes doing neither, screw having him backchecking, lets have him back to forechecking where he, Backstrom, and Semin would dominate the ice.

SimplySensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 07:44 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

I wouldn't mind seeing Bruce try Ovy on the PK a little. As long as he's not horrible, ya never know what a little extra responsibility and space might do for his confidence.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 08:02 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
It's probably irresponsible of me to deign to respond to you again, but several things:

First, you missed the point. Obviously a team that "craps all over each other" would have issues. The point is that loyalty is not the ideal to any extent; winning is. A team is built with that in mind. As a fan, I would rather see the Capitals have the best chance to win the Stanley Cup than feel good about their commitment to loyalty.

Second, how exactly is holding Ovechkin accountable for his play a betrayal in any sense? Ovechkin signed a $9.5M/year contract. That is a mutual agreement under which both sides have responsibilities. Ovechkin's is to produce in line with his pay. The team shouldn't betray its commitment to him if he's doing that, sure, and he shouldn't fail to uphold his end of the bargain. If Ovechkin does fail to do so, and, hypothetically, somehow ends up traded or something, that is most definitely not a betrayal on the team's part; it's more like a termination of the agreement because Ovechkin "betrayed" it.

Old
11-16-2011, 08:47 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
I wouldn't mind seeing Bruce try Ovy on the PK a little. As long as he's not horrible, ya never know what a little extra responsibility and space might do for his confidence.
You really want don cherry to hate ovi don't you! Stars don't pk.... According to him.

Old
11-16-2011, 11:41 PM
Vladiator16*
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
It's probably irresponsible of me to deign to respond to you again, but several things:

First, you missed the point. Obviously a team that "craps all over each other" would have issues. The point is that loyalty is not the ideal to any extent; winning is. A team is built with that in mind. As a fan, I would rather see the Capitals have the best chance to win the Stanley Cup than feel good about their commitment to loyalty.

Second, how exactly is holding Ovechkin accountable for his play a betrayal in any sense? Ovechkin signed a $9.5M/year contract. That is a mutual agreement under which both sides have responsibilities. Ovechkin's is to produce in line with his pay. The team shouldn't betray its commitment to him if he's doing that, sure, and he shouldn't fail to uphold his end of the bargain. If Ovechkin does fail to do so, and, hypothetically, somehow ends up traded or something, that is most definitely not a betrayal on the team's part; it's more like a termination of the agreement because Ovechkin "betrayed" it.
To me it seems like you are missing the point. I've never said Ovechkin shouldn't be held accountable... To me it seems that some people are to quick to throw the player who deserved a little longer leash than pretty much any current player in the league under the buss... Anyway, this conversation isn't going anywhere, we obviously have very different views on life and things in general.

P.S. Next time try to stay responsible.

Old
11-17-2011, 06:03 AM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
I was wondering this myself. This early in the season it wouldn't hurt to try it a few games. I can still see Ovy standing on our blue line waiting for a pass to get a break away though without doing PK responsibilities. I'm not opposed to trying this. My guess is they don't want him getting hurt blocking shots etc or hurting the team by standing at the blue line.

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 07:55 AM
txpd

i think they are first and foremost trying to intigrate all the new players into a cohesive penalty killing unit. last season's pk was among the league's best, but many of the players have changed and the pk as a unit has struggled.

the past couple of seasons have seen alex semin doing some remarkably good work on the pk. he is also not skating pk minutes. its because the caps have brought in ward, brouwer, and halpern who are all primary penalty killers. its also true now, that if you make ice time available on the pk for 8 and/or 28, then you are likely taking toi away from a player who's only special teams time is pk and dig deeply into that players minutes.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote