HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs call-up Frederic St-Denis

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-16-2011, 04:01 PM
  #101
Talks to Goalposts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
that one day he'd realize I could really help the team."
Given how terrible he was on the ice, is there any real reason to believe that Laraque actually could help the team?

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 04:11 PM
  #102
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
Given how terrible he was on the ice, is there any real reason to believe that Laraque actually could help the team?
I believe Laraque what he is saying ,to be the truth on Martin.Why?

Because he isn't lying about Carbo in the same article.
We found out ,and Carbo later admitted communicator wasn't his strong suit.


Him helping the team?,debate away.

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 04:15 PM
  #103
PunkinDrublic*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sutton,Qc-Sudbury,On
Posts: 8,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
IMO Laraque's sour grapes have gotten way too much attention. Seems like the guy blames everything but his own declining skills.
And, maybe he is right. He is not lying, he did mention Andre told him about this. Makes me hate Martin even more. He likes soft defensive teams.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 04:57 PM
  #104
Talks to Goalposts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
I believe Laraque what he is saying ,to be the truth on Martin.Why?

Because he isn't lying about Carbo in the same article.
We found out ,and Carbo later admitted communicator wasn't his strong suit.


Him helping the team?,debate away.
I believe in the bare facts of what Laraque is saying, more or less. I don't necessarily subscribe to Laraque's interpretation of them.

The point being that Martin being unwilling to play Laraque or Roy might no be due to not liking physical play to instead believing that they couldn't contribute enough on the ice to be worth putting in the lineup.

I'm not saying your wrong. I am saying that I think you're over-interpreting the evidence. Did this really change Laraque's mind or anything or did he already decide that Martin was a certain way and look for supporting evidence? I suspect him of suffering from confirmation bias because he prefers the "its Martin's fault for not playing me" interpretation over the "I could no longer play a regular shift without being a huge liablity so they got rid of me" interpretation. After watching him play and tracking his results I think that the second one has a strong basis in fact.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 05:29 PM
  #105
habs24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieber fever View Post
why not Alex Henry ?
He sometimes hits people and drops his gloves sometimes too. Thats a no no

habs24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 05:45 PM
  #106
Ceux de Montreal
Horrible proposal!!!
 
Ceux de Montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: omg montréal lolzzz
Country: Martinique
Posts: 5,030
vCash: 500
Why people are so nervous about St-Denis? He's a calm defensman who keep things simple. I bet most of us have never seen him play.

I remember Gorges first season. In that one game he made that horrendous pass in the defensive zone, intercepted in front of the net for a goal. People were calling for his head, media were making fun of him (he finally got his first assist!). I was defending him then, and now he's one of our most important player.

St-Denis is the same kind of player. Maybe I'm wrong but I have high hopes for him, I think he can turn out to be a regular in the NHL one day.

Ceux de Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 05:57 PM
  #107
habs24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
LOL this is exactly what I had in mind but it isn't even the only example. He's played tough guys before they were just guys who also knew how to play a game called hockey and not cost their team anything in the W column.
Have you seen Henry cost the Habs any games?

habs24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 08:37 PM
  #108
llamateizer
Registered User
 
llamateizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Country:
Posts: 5,407
vCash: 500
Nice game by St-Denis.
He played well for a 1st NHL game

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 10:25 PM
  #109
Guilliam
Registered User
 
Guilliam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,909
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
I believe Laraque what he is saying ,to be the truth on Martin.Why?

Because he isn't lying about Carbo in the same article.
We found out ,and Carbo later admitted communicator wasn't his strong suit.


Him helping the team?,debate away.
When Laraque launched his book a few weeks back, Carbo said he was a hypocrit because Laraque was in his office all the time.

Edit : oh yes, also, pretty good game by St-Denis. I think he could be a regular NHLer some day.

Guilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 10:40 PM
  #110
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,195
vCash: 500
The Habs needed another Dman. They picked a good time to bring him up for one game because the Canes played like mutts.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 10:42 PM
  #111
guest1467
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 24,824
vCash: 500
This thread is gold.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 10:43 PM
  #112
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal View Post
Why people are so nervous about St-Denis? He's a calm defensman who keep things simple. I bet most of us have never seen him play.

I remember Gorges first season. In that one game he made that horrendous pass in the defensive zone, intercepted in front of the net for a goal. People were calling for his head, media were making fun of him (he finally got his first assist!). I was defending him then, and now he's one of our most important player.

St-Denis is the same kind of player. Maybe I'm wrong but I have high hopes for him, I think he can turn out to be a regular in the NHL one day.
Except St-Denis is like only a year younger than Gorges is now. Gorges made the NHL as a 21 year old, St-Denis is playing his first game at 25 and only because of extreme injuries.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 11:11 PM
  #113
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,110
vCash: 500
I like St. Denis. Not sure he has any NHL potential, but I could maybe see him sneak in as a solid, unspectacular #6.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 11:19 PM
  #114
Markowicz
Simple Jacques
 
Markowicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
I like St. Denis. Not sure he has any NHL potential, but I could maybe see him sneak in as a solid, unspectacular #6.
I was impressed for a first game. He did what a lot of our d-men have trouble doing, which is consistently doing the simple plays, properly. That said, every one of our D looked good tonight, because Carolina was lifeless. Tomorrow should be much more of a measuring stick for St. Denis. The good news is that he'll be playing with confidence going in to the game. Frankly, tonight's game was exactly what all our young D needed. Now they can always look back to this game and remember the feeling of playing an almost error-free game. We were sloppy in the last 5-7 minutes, but that's normal when you're up 4-0.

I really hope this rag-tag group can go into NY confident and play the same way.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 11:29 PM
  #115
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,130
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
I believe in the bare facts of what Laraque is saying, more or less. I don't necessarily subscribe to Laraque's interpretation of them.

The point being that Martin being unwilling to play Laraque or Roy might no be due to not liking physical play to instead believing that they couldn't contribute enough on the ice to be worth putting in the lineup.

I'm not saying your wrong. I am saying that I think you're over-interpreting the evidence. Did this really change Laraque's mind or anything or did he already decide that Martin was a certain way and look for supporting evidence? I suspect him of suffering from confirmation bias because he prefers the "its Martin's fault for not playing me" interpretation over the "I could no longer play a regular shift without being a huge liablity so they got rid of me" interpretation. After watching him play and tracking his results I think that the second one has a strong basis in fact.
I agree with you, I think laraque mistaked his benching for "I don't like tough guys" rather than "I don't like guys who can't play hockey and when they're supposed to be tough, aren't". Also, going back to the article posted:

Quote:
"Martin would never look you in the eye," Laraque writes. "He would drone on emotionlessly, shuffling papers and glancing at his computer, trying to make you feel as if you're wasting his time, even though he called the meeting. I kept trying to convince myself that Jacques Martin wasn't a moron, that one day he'd realize I could really help the team."
That's because you were georges and you're wasting our time now.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 11:53 PM
  #116
Grant McCagg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurel Joliat View Post
better OPTIONS

Emelin 6'2
Subban 6'
Gorges 6'
Weber 5'11
St-Denis 5'11
Diaz 5'11

Smallest D to ever play in the NHL... And they all have the same playstyle except Emelin
Bruins defence in late 80's - early 90's...

Raymond Bourque 5-10
Greg Hawgood 5-9
Don Sweeney 5-10
Michael Thelven 5-11
Garry Galley 6-0
Glen Wesley 6-1

BTW - the Habs defence played pretty well tonight, something that group of "small D" that used to play for Boston used to do frequently.

Grant McCagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 12:10 AM
  #117
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
Bruins defence in late 80's - early 90's...

Raymond Bourque 5-10
Greg Hawgood 5-9
Don Sweeney 5-10
Michael Thelven 5-11
Garry Galley 6-0
Glen Wesley 6-1

BTW - the Habs defence played pretty well tonight, something that group of "small D" that used to play for Boston used to do frequently.

only problem i see is ,there's no Ray Bourque on the Habs d today .
The Bruins as good as that set of d played ,couldn't touch silver mug as Bruins.
Who was the last team to ice a small d core 6 ft and under and win a cup?


Cup winners

Bruins 2011
Johnny Boychuk, Zdeno Chara, Andrew Ference, Shane Hnidy, Tomas Kaberle, , Adam McQuaid, Dennis Seidenberg

Hawks 2010
Dustin Byfuglien, Brian Campbell,Brent Sopel, Boynton,Brent Seabrook

Pens 2009
Sergei Gonchar,Brooks Orpik,Kris Letang,Hal Gill,Philippe Boucher


Last edited by Habaneros: 11-17-2011 at 12:27 AM.
Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 12:29 AM
  #118
FlyingKostitsyn
Registered User
 
FlyingKostitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec
Country: Australia
Posts: 8,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
only problem i see is ,there's no Ray Bourque on the Habs d today .
The Bruins as good as that set of d played ,couldn't touch silver mug as Bruins.

Who was the last team to ice a small d core and win a cup?
We are not in the cup finals at the moment.

How else can such a statement be answered to? I mean we have massive injury problems at the moment and its painfully obvious Gauthier didn't intend to make a cup run with St-Denis or even the three of Diaz, Weber and Emelin in the lineup. All they need to do with the depleted defense is win some games. They did exactly this last night and stand a good chance against the Islanders.

Btw regular Habs -

Markov 6', Campoli 6', Emelin 6'2, Gorges 6'1, Gill 6'7, Spacek 6', Subban 6', Weber 5'11, Diaz 5'11

Only Weber and Diaz are below 6 foot (the magical threshold separating midgets from giants it seems)


Last edited by FlyingKostitsyn: 11-17-2011 at 12:38 AM.
FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 12:35 AM
  #119
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score
 
Madam Kadri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Maryland native
Country: United States
Posts: 6,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
only problem i see is ,there's no Ray Bourque on the Habs d today .
The Bruins as good as that set of d played ,couldn't touch silver mug as Bruins.
Who was the last team to ice a small d core 6 ft and under and win a cup?


Cup winners

Bruins 2011
Johnny Boychuk, Zdeno Chara, Andrew Ference, Shane Hnidy, Tomas Kaberle, , Adam McQuaid, Dennis Seidenberg

Hawks 2010
Dustin Byfuglien, Brian Campbell,Brent Sopel, Boynton,Brent Seabrook

Pens 2009
Sergei Gonchar,Brooks Orpik,Kris Letang,Hal Gill,Philippe Boucher
Big Buff was a forward in Chicago. Just saying.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 12:40 AM
  #120
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markowicz View Post
I was impressed for a first game. He did what a lot of our d-men have trouble doing, which is consistently doing the simple plays, properly. That said, every one of our D looked good tonight, because Carolina was lifeless. Tomorrow should be much more of a measuring stick for St. Denis. The good news is that he'll be playing with confidence going in to the game. Frankly, tonight's game was exactly what all our young D needed. Now they can always look back to this game and remember the feeling of playing an almost error-free game. We were sloppy in the last 5-7 minutes, but that's normal when you're up 4-0.

I really hope this rag-tag group can go into NY confident and play the same way.
Someone earlier in this thread likened St. Denis to Gorges. I've seen him in that light for a few years now.

I concur, though: I was thinking during the game that this was a terrific game for all the youngsters on D, as well as Palushaj.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 12:46 AM
  #121
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 15,200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
only problem i see is ,there's no Ray Bourque on the Habs d today .
The Bruins as good as that set of d played ,couldn't touch silver mug as Bruins.
Who was the last team to ice a small d core 6 ft and under and win a cup?


Cup winners

Bruins 2011
Johnny Boychuk, Zdeno Chara, Andrew Ference, Shane Hnidy, Tomas Kaberle, , Adam McQuaid, Dennis Seidenberg

Hawks 2010
Dustin Byfuglien, Brian Campbell,Brent Sopel, Boynton,Brent Seabrook

Pens 2009
Sergei Gonchar,Brooks Orpik,Kris Letang,Hal Gill,Philippe Boucher
Byfuglien played forward
Boynton played 3 PO games for the Hawks...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 12:48 AM
  #122
Bloumeister
Nanu nanu
 
Bloumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ork
Posts: 5,755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blame it on PK View Post
Big Buff was a forward in Chicago. Just saying.
HFBoards rule: for your argument's sake, don't let facts get in the way

Bloumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 12:56 AM
  #123
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blame it on PK View Post
Big Buff was a forward in Chicago. Just saying.
Yes i know that , and i watched the playoffs with him vs Pronger.

He did play D that year on the Hawks

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/blac...-key-for-hawks

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 07:34 AM
  #124
Iwishihadacup
Registered User
 
Iwishihadacup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,713
vCash: 500
this thread is gold Jerry, gold!

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 07:39 AM
  #125
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilan30 View Post
I don't buy that at all. Is he actually slower than Gill. I think Gauthier is scared Henry might play physically.
Gill may be slow but he is very smart and that allows him to operate within his limitations.

I wouldn't mind Henry getting the call for a Boston or Phillie game, but if he was mobile enough to play in the NHL don't you think one of the other 29 teams would ahve claimed him on waivers? He's gone through the last 3 years.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:19 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.